PDA

View Full Version : Ya know what I like about this game

X-Era
08-11-2007, 09:26 AM
I like the fact that the Bills now know or remember what a real game is like. Think about it, they had not really tackled yet, they experienced the hits, they experienced game speed. Thats worth a ton. Im not at all suprised that they looked a bit sloppy.

In fact, I was impressed with the tackling. The Bills didnt allow alot of broken tackles. You would want them to make more pass breakups, but I think thats another learning that they will take away from this.

On O, I think Lynch really benefited from seeing first hand the difference in speed and talent level. I fully expect him to look much better next game.

I would like to see our true O schemes to judge Losman and to see how open our multiple receivers will be; but its preseason so I understand.

We didnt give up alot of points, but also didnt score alot. It was a solid showing for our first look.

Wys Guy
08-11-2007, 09:36 AM
If we had allowed the kinds of play on both sides of the ball that our first teams did, we'd have had 20 minutes ToP if lucky, allowed the Saints to run 80 plays, amass 400+ yards of net offense, allowed 5.x ypc rushing eventually as our D got flat out worn out, not sustained a single drive.

It was just like last season.

No team can perpetually play such unfundamentally sound football and expect to win many games. we were fortunate to have won what we did last year given that our rankings in the most fundamental elements of play were probably worse on average than all but a team or possibly two, if even that, perhaps the worst flat out.

There was absolutely no evidence to suggest that any of that has changed. Much of that lays squarely on Jauron's shoulders and if he can't get at least some of that squared away by midseason then it's definitely not too soon to talk about what size the boot print on his arse should be come January.

X-Era
08-11-2007, 09:42 AM
If we had allowed the kinds of play on both sides of the ball that our first teams did, we'd have had 20 minutes ToP if lucky, allowed the Saints to run 80 plays, amass 400+ yards of net offense, allowed 5.x ypc rushing eventually as our D got flat out worn out, not sustained a single drive.

No team can perpetually play such unfundamentally sound football and expect to win many games. we were fortunate to have won what we did last year given that our rankings in the most fundamental elements of play were probably worse on average than all but a team or possibly two, if even that, perhaps the worst flat out.

There was absolutely no evidence to suggest that any of that has changed. Much of that lays squarely on Jauron's shoulders and if he can't get at least some of that squared away by midseason then it's definitely not too soon to talk about what size the boot print on his arse should be come January.

Wow, this game meant ALOT to you huh.

Flat out dont agree with your take.

10-15 plays from our starters, that can NEVER be projected for a whole game. No scheming, that can not be used to predict fully schemed games.

Its a preseason game, we can draw NO conclusions about stats, the only thing we can look at is indivdual playmaking, and I think they looked decent for a first look. Were still knocking the rust off.

Wys Guy
08-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Wow, this game meant ALOT to you huh.

Flat out dont agree with your take.

10-15 plays from our starters, that can NEVER be projected for a whole game. No scheming, that can not be used to predict fully schemed games.

Its a preseason game, we can draw NO conclusions about stats, the only thing we can look at is indivdual playmaking, and I think they looked decent for a first look. Were still knocking the rust off.

Yes and no it meant a lot. It didn't mean a lot generally speaking. But it has to mean a lot jp since we saw absolutely no difference from our play of last season. If we had played well last season and then this game, fine. But this game was just a rehash of our extraordinarily poor command of the fundamentals of football from last season.

That should mean something to every fan since again, the default is how we played last season "until further notice." Well, yesterday was anything but that "futher notice," which I'm sure we can both agree on.

10-15 plays from out starters? 10 offensively with 8 being for a whoppping 12 yards, a 1.5 ypp average. Other than Losman's scramble off of a broken play amidst glaring blocking issues for 12, and one decent play on the evening of a JP pass to Reed for 15 on an outstanding catch.

Since it would be foolish to build an offense on broken plays and QB scrambles, that leaves as the sum total of anything average or better being one play in 10. Say what you want, it's not a good sign.

While you may disagree, Jauron really had to come out and prove something, even if only that our DL, particularly the interior DL, and our blocking has improved by some significant measure. He failed to demonstrate that in spades. Again, typically it would be meaningless, but since that was the standard last year, it's not meaningless.

You say you think that "they looked decent at first look." If you mean the first teams, then I would wholeheartedly challenge what your definition of "decent" is.

Defensively we ran 19 plays that counted and yielded, combined with the O, greater than a 2-to-1 time-of-possession advantage to NO. Again, if that's good, ...

Jauron had to come out and prove that this team has made at least some progress. All that was shown was further regression.

Sure, there are preseason contests remaining vs. Atlanta and Tenn at home and Detroit on the road. What are they going to prove however if all we do is put up average performances. If not, then it really says to expect little this season.

Last year I went out of my way to watch the PS games. I don't even care this year. Unless they're on local TV, I'll just await the season opener.

If Jauron thinks and believes that he has nothing to prove this preseason, then we have the wrong coach. Which we do, it's merely a matter of time before the majority gets on board with that.

Saving our players for the regular season when they're playing like this, not being able to sustain a drive, control the clock or get the other team's O off the field, is irresponsible and reprehensible.

It's your team. You should expect more.

FinFaninBuffalo
08-11-2007, 10:17 AM

Not much to argue with here. They got beat up at the point of attack. That has to improve, game plan or no game plan. You can't build an offense on broken plays and you can't build a defense on blocked FGs, penalties by the offense, and players running the wrong routes. IMO, the Bills 1st team defense didn't stop the Saints a single time. Only mistakes by the Saints prevented the score from being 21 - 0 very quickly. The Saints started two drives from inside their own 5. The Bills did not take advantage at all.

That game didn't "prove" anything, but to spin it for signs of encouragement is stretching it.

HHURRICANE
08-11-2007, 10:19 AM
The Saints started two drives from inside their own 5. The Bills did not take advantage at all.

That game didn't "prove" anything, but to spin it for signs of encouragement is stretching it.

The fact that we had three games last year when we couldn't get th ball back and our opponant started deep in their own territory means that this wasn't a good sign.

Sorry to give a fin-fan credit but you are right.

FinFaninBuffalo
08-11-2007, 10:22 AM
The fact that we had three games last year when we couldn't get th ball back and our opponant started deep in their own territory means that this wasn't a good sign.

Sorry to give a fin-fan credit but you are right.

It's a shame that Moorman's fantastic punting doesn't result in a bigger advantage for the Bills. The guy is ridiculous.

Wys Guy
08-11-2007, 10:27 AM
It's a shame that Moorman's fantastic punting doesn't result in a bigger advantage for the Bills. The guy is ridiculous.

Imagine what our team's play would be like without the perennially (now) 1st ranked special teams in the entire league.

In fact, a couple of years ago I did an analysis. While every team's starting field position, all 31 teams, fell within approximately the 26-32 yard range or so, ours was at about the 34 and we still sucked.

I'm not exactly sure that many people understand the significance of that. It absolutely and utterly shatters statistical indicators. It's six-sigma performance by the STs in that way. Yet, we sucked.

Imagine if we had some average stiff punter, coverage units, and KR man? Man, we would really, really suck.

SABURZFAN
08-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Imagine what our team's play would be like without the perennially (now) 1st ranked special teams in the entire league.

In fact, a couple of years ago I did an analysis. While every team's starting field position, all 31 teams, fell within approximately the 26-32 yard range or so, ours was at about the 34 and we still sucked.

I'm not exactly sure that many people understand the significance of that. It absolutely and utterly shatters statistical indicators. It's six-sigma performance by the STs in that way. Yet, we sucked.

Imagine if we had some average stiff punter, coverage units, and KR man? Man, we would really, really suck.

imagine there was no heaven......

baalworship
08-11-2007, 10:43 AM
There is no way to sugarcoat last night. The Bills looked awful. I spent most of the time yelling at the TV hoping someone would make a play.

Offensive Line: Didn't open any holes.
Marshawn Lynch: I think he played for a little bit.
Defense: Starters were awful.

I realize they haven't played in a long time but last night was painful to watch. As a fan I was hoping to see at least something to get excited about.

justasportsfan
08-11-2007, 10:44 AM
haha! the overreaction is leading to long posts again wys :rolleyes:

It was a preseason game. The Saints came out to play. They played with urgency. We didn't . Marv's 90's team didn't care about the preseason.

I'm just happy we came out if this injury free.

SABURZFAN
08-11-2007, 10:47 AM
haha! the overreaction is leading to long posts again wys :rolleyes:

Wys may say that we're dreamers
but we're not the only ones
maybe some day he'll join us.............

PECKERWOOD
08-11-2007, 10:49 AM
imagine there was no heaven......

Wys may say that we're dreamers
but we're not the only ones
maybe some day he'll join us.............

:rofl: