• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Late post-game comments

First of all, holy **** our starters on D were awful. The DL was CONSISTENTLY blown off the ball. Kelsay did NOTHING and was getting no penetration whatsoever on passing plays. Was Schobel out? I don't recall even seeing him on the field. I know I've been hard on DiGiorgio and Ellison, but they both seemed to be getting to the right places. They were, however, getting pushed around in the run game. I blame this partially on the DL for not penetrating or otherwise disrupting the play before it got to the second level.

There were some HUGE holes in the zone passing D and the Saints took big time advantage of it. Ko was out of position a few times and I don't know what the hell was going through Webster's head.

BTW, what happened was EXACTLY what I predicted- the D gave up a 5:30 or so drive but no points, the offense was on the field for less than 4 minutes, than the D was right back out there for another 5+ minute drive- The Saints had the ball for 11 MINUTES of the first quarter. We didn't give up any points, but this is NOT a sustainable situation. This is why "bend but don't break" ALWAYS breaks- if our starting D had to go through another quarter like that, they'd be too tired to stop anything (and they weren't stopping much as it was)

The DL was downright horrible except for Hargrove, who is now suspended, and McCargo had one or two good plays but looked mediocre even against the scrubs at the end of the game. We could only get pressure on blitzes, which is really bad considering a) the Cover 2 is not a blitzing D, and b) NO was exploiting holes in the zone when we WEREN'T blitzing, so if someone goes after the passer, it's only going to open up more soft spots in the zone.

The starting OL wasn't as good as I was hoping in the run game. Pass blocking looked adequate.

Do we have any TE's on our roster? Royal missed a block and then on that -1 yard reception he had, he was just standing there. JP was looking for him to be open in the flat- it was like he forgot he was supposed to go out for a pass. The guy proved yet again that he can't keep his head in the game.

Ok, enough ranting, now for some good. Ellison and DiGiorgio weren't great but showed that they weren't total scrubs. Youboty showed some promise, especially on ST, but I think Greer solidified his claim on the nickle spot tonight.

Our RB situation is excellent. Lynch didn't show much but he didn't have many opportunities because the D couldn't get off the ****ing field. Wright looked decent and he runs hard. Fred Jackson was impressive, albeit against their scrubs. Can we just cut Shaud already?

I've been hard on Josh Reed but JP does seem to have a connection with him.

Nall sucks but Edwards looked good for his first time out.

Poz made some great reads and had himself in the right position more often than not. That one play where he sniffed out the outlet screen really impressed me.

Lindell and Moorman- damn. These guys are the real deal. ST was dominant again except for the one kickoff return at the end.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • raphael120
    Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
    • Oct 2005

Re: Late post-game comments

I agree, man.

Passing D was pretty horrid, but our rushing D did pretty darn good. It's not like Bush and McAllister are bums. It was kind of a 180 from how it was last year.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
      Lets GO BUFFALO!!
      • Jun 2005

Your best post in a long time. Great observations and I totally agree with you this time

Comment

• B-DON
        hi
        • Mar 2004

Any team is going to have problems stopping mcallister let alone Bush. Bush is the next great NFL player. I dont expect to many teams to be able to stop him this year or any other year.

Comment

• hydro
          • Oct 2005

Thank you for continuing to not harp on the negative. Great thread!
          BERNIAC!

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by B-DON
            Any team is going to have problems stopping mcallister let alone Bush. Bush is the next great NFL player. I dont expect to many teams to be able to stop him this year or any other year.
            that's true but I was more concerned with the way the D was consistently getting blown off the ball on running plays. It wasn't all Bush and Deuce- their OL was destroying our DL and sometimes our LB's too.

BTW props to Simpson for that impressive open field hit he had on Bush.
            Last edited by OpIv37; 08-11-2007, 06:15 PM.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• SquishDaFish
              Lets GO BUFFALO!!
              • Jun 2005

Whitner didnt play

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BillsIN05
                Whitner didnt play
                my bad- it was Simpson.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• hydro
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
                  my bad- it was Simpson.
                  You probably got the idea that it was whitner because the idiot announcers thought it was him and didn't even notice they made the mistake... LOL
                  BERNIAC!

Comment

• madness
                    • Apr 2003

Miss Cleo, did you also predict the terrible no-call on first 3rd down as a Saints player pushed two of our defenders in the back that helped Bush go untouched up the middle for the first down? the D got jobbed out of their first three and out and did an admiral job against last years #1 offense without our best player on the field.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by hydrosmak
                      You probably got the idea that it was whitner because the idiot announcers thought it was him and didn't even notice they made the mistake... LOL
                      yeah they were definitely in pre-season form as well.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by madness
                        Miss Cleo, did you also predict the terrible no-call on first 3rd down as a Saints player pushed two of our defenders in the back that helped Bush go untouched up the middle for the first down? the D got jobbed out of their first three and out and did an admiral job against last years #1 offense without our best player on the field.
                        you can consider giving up 100+ yards and being on the field for 11 minutes in one quarter "admiral" (I think you meant "admirable")- I consider it **** and if you extrapolate those numbers to an entire game it's a severe ass-kicking.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                          • Apr 2005

I agree somewhat with your outlook on the D. There was definately a bunch of things id like to see better. However we cannot forget get that this is the first preseason game with absolutely NO gameplan set on offense nor defense, no scouting, and every play call on D and O was about as vanilla as you can get. Also as madness brought up, we were playing the former #1 offense. Sure it wasnt pretty, but im not reading too much into anything yet.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
                            I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
                            • May 2005

Special Teams was awesome, this has become old hat though.. and I love it! I agree completely with your concerns about time on the field for the D and whatnot Op. Our zone coverage was horrible and left open spots everywhere... if that keeps up, andy above average QB, and we face a few this year, will pick it apart all day long. I think it also helped that NO already had one game under their belt.

Also agree that our TE situation is dismal at best, and our RB situation looks pretty solid. And I too, have been quite hard on Josh Reed, but most of last season he was pretty solid and looked good last night too, he'll make for a decent posession receiver if he keeps it up.

Greer definitely looked good and will likely be the nickel back... hopefully Webster will show us something a whole lot better than he did last night after all the Training Camp hype he's been getting.

As I've suspected all along, defense is definitely my main concern with this team, DBs and D Line specifically. I think we'll hold up alright with our young LBs.

Best thing all night however in my book was the nearly complete lack of penalties we had. That's amazing for the 1st preseason game. Let's hope that trend keeps up.

Oh, and any other teams we face with very athletic players can run dumps and screens into the flat and tear us apart. Our "young and quick Defense" as it's been touted has no answer for that type of play/player.

Comment

• Mahdi
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
                              that's true but I was more concerned with the way the D was consistently getting blown off the ball on running plays. It wasn't all Bush and Deuce- their OL was destroying our DL and sometimes our LB's too.

BTW props to Simpson for that impressive open field hit he had on Bush.
                              I dont know what game you were watching.... but when the starters were out there Deuce and Bush werent getting much yardage. The only big yardage play I could think of was the one they had on 3rd and 6 against our nickel. Other than that they were stuffing Deuce for 1 and 2 yard gains.

Comment

Working...
                              X