PDA

View Full Version : My Take...

Mudflap1
08-11-2007, 08:59 PM
If you read the postgame comments and think about what happened, this is what I saw...

1. Payton was really upset the Saints got flattened by Pittsburgh last weekend. He seemed to really open up the playbook to make a statement with his starters. Conversely, it looked like Buffalo was playing standard vanilla Cover 2 defense with no scheming, which created the situation where the intermediate zones were wide open.

2. On defense, the Saints were stunting and blitzing, while Buffalo's running plays were nothing more than straight dive plays, and a few passes (12 plays for the starters in all).

Now, I (probably like most of you) was very alarmed initially that we were just getting manhandled. In retrospect, some of that may still have been true, but I think a lot of it was the Saints coming out and showing a lot more wrinkles and gameplanning than Buffalo.

This brings up the true dilemma. In the 90s, we didn't care less about preseason. It was all about a little workout for Kelly, Thurman, Reed, Bruce (if he even suited up) and co, then letting the backups play. We knew once Week 1 rolled around that the veterans would be ready to play. It sure looks like the same thing is going on with this team. However, this begs the obvious statement -- our guys are really young. We don't have the luxury of knowing we have a veteran team that knows when to turn it on and turn it off. Do our coaches know what they are doing in showing a completely vanilla gameplan and wasting exhibition time that could be used to gel a new offensive line, young QB, young players in all? I sure hope so.

That's what I saw. I just hope our guys are ready Week 1. Until then, I'm not going to read into what happens this preseason at all. I think it's all about making sure the guys literally don't turn the ball over and hustle out there, not performance or playmaking ability.

Jon

Wys Guy
08-12-2007, 06:44 AM
Then let's see if Jauron is upset with the pattern of not being able to move the ball or prevent teams from doing the same in the remaining preseason games and see if he seems to care as much as Payton.

It's been the defining characteristic of his team since he's been here. You speak correctly when you question whether "waiting for the season" to correct it is wise.

There is no reason to "save our starters" right now. It'd be half a miracle if we made it to .500. Making the playoffs would take a bona fide miracle.

Then again, it's Jauron. It's not as if he's exactly a Bill Walsh pupil.

YardRat
08-12-2007, 07:14 AM
It's the first time these guys played together against any opposition this season.

Now that they've got their initial contact out of the way, let's see how they do this week.

One penalty is a pretty encouraging stat, though.

Throne Logic
08-12-2007, 09:40 AM
It's the first time these guys played together against any opposition this season.

Now that they've got their initial contact out of the way, let's see how they do this week.

One penalty is a pretty encouraging stat, though.

Exactly. This was the first full speed live action these guys have seen this year. Knock off the rust, give the rookies a sheltered first taste, and get out without any injuries.

The fact that this team showed composure in both stepping up to stop NO from scoring TD's after long gruelling drives and with only one flag (Peters holding), is very encouraging indeed.

HHURRICANE
08-12-2007, 10:02 AM
I'm very upset with the individual performances but not the team effort.

Jauron is a good coach. Period. I have total confidence in what he's doing. You can't coach talent into players and that's not on him.

Kenny Irons is gone for the season. Jauron has coached long enough to know when to play the starters.

Jauron is the least of our issues.