X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dolphan117
    • Dec 2005

Cam Cameron-Fail forward

(On if players competing for a roster spot should try more to make plays or avoid mistakes) – “It’s not one or the other, it’s both. Young guys, the major evaluation for them is going to be on special teams. That’s always an emphasis in the preseason, your special teams. You normally make quite a few mistakes on special teams those first two preseason games because you’re trying out a lot of young players, and that’s the only way they can learn. In this business, we want them to fail. Preseason games are awesome for teaching because it’s a legitimate chance for them to fail and then we want them to fail, forward, fast. I haven’t really given (the players) that one yet. They kind of get that one tonight. I want guys going out in this game not being afraid to fail. Don’t be afraid to fail. That’s the only way you can learn. You’ve got four preseason games. But if you fail, fail forward. What does that mean? If you’re failing forward that means you’re failing but you’re learning. Then you’ve got to learn fast. Early in the first quarter, I want some guys to go out there and fail in the first quarter and then regroup and get it corrected in the second quarter. Or fail in the first half, and then dig down inside, get it corrected and then go out and correct it in the second half. Some guys might fail the first play of the game, and during a series, they can’t wait until the series is over to get it corrected. We’ve got to be failing at a fast rate and we’ve got to be failing forward. That’s kind of the theme that I’ll give them tonight. I don’t want anybody in this game going out in fear of failure. This is a game to learn and grow. We’ll go out there and turn it loose and fail, then we’ll continue to get better.”
    I guess we all know pre-season is about guys growing but I don't think I have ever heard a coach put it quite like that.

And the whole "don't be afraid to fail thing goes along with how he has been training our QB's as well. During the OTA's and stuff the staff was putting a premium on getting the ball out quickly, don't think, just get rid of it. They said later they would dial it back and put more focus on protecting the football but its easier to get guys that are playing aggressive to dial it back then to get guys playing conservative to take some chances.

I just find this coaching philosophy stuff interesting.

• Earthquake Enyart
    Legendary Zoner
    • Jul 2002

Re: Cam Cameron-Fail forward

They shouldn't be afraid to fail since they will fail as a team at least 10 times this next season.

Comment

• dolphan117
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
      They shouldn't be afraid to fail since they will fail as a team at least 10 times this next season.
      Dude that smack doesnt even make sense. Next season they will fail 10 times worse then this season?

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

defensive about the fins O performance , are we?
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• dolphan117
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
          defensive about the fins O performance , are we?
          No, this stuff was said on Thursday before the game, not after to justify it. Although he did talk about it in his post game PC, said that he was "jacked" when our punter got his first career kick blocked because they have been telling him he needs to speed up his kicking motion..... Now then he goes out and gets his proof handed to him on his first attempt.

Also talked about how they didn't game-plan anything and "maybe called some plays where we knew Trent was going to get stuck holding the ball." Basically they tried to make it as hard on the players as the could.

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by dolphan117
            No, this stuff was said on Thursday before the game, not after to justify it. Although he did talk about it in his post game PC, said that he was "jacked" when our punter got his first career kick blocked because they have been telling him he needs to speed up his kicking motion..... Now then he goes out and gets his proof handed to him on his first attempt.

Also talked about how they didn't game-plan anything and "maybe called some plays where we knew Trent was going to get stuck holding the ball." Basically they tried to make it as hard on the players as the could.

you don't have to explain to me what Cam said. I agree with him to a certain extent. You posting it after a crappy performance seems defensive to me.

IF you want your weaknesses exposed , you want it to happen during preseason so it can be fixed.(fail forward)

Question is, can they fix it soon enough ? I doubt it get's fixed this year at all.

Then again that's what I thought of the jets last year. So anything can happen.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• dolphan117
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
              you don't have to explain to me what Cam said. I agree with him to a certain extent. You posting it after a crappy performance seems defensive to me.

IF you want your weaknesses exposed , you want it to happen during preseason so it can be fixed.(fail forward)

Question is, can they fix it soon enough ? I doubt it get's fixed this year at all.

Then again that's what I thought of the jets last year. So anything can happen.
              Gotcha, my concern for the team has been
              1-Offensive line
              2-Secondary

Neither of those areas were great yesterday, especially the fist half offensive line, so yeah, I'm still quite concerned.

I just found it interesting how aggressive Cam is being in terms of telling guys to not be afraid of failing. Short term it probably wont have a huge impact but over time it could pay good dividends in terms of developing players. Its a very different mindset from what Saban had, which is I guess why it jumped out at me.

He was very much a "Eliminate the mistakes!!!!!!" kind of guy, while Cam seems to be much more laid back. I like Cams approach better as long as at the end of the day guys are still held accountable for when they screw up.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                • Mar 2005

Gotcha, my concern for the team has been
                1-Offensive line
                2-Secondary

Neither of those areas were great yesterday, especially the fist half offensive line, so yeah, I'm still quite concerned.
                You have concrete issues on this team and a first time head coach to try and handle them. Plan on a long season. Anybody in Miami figuring better than 6 wins is going to be very disappointed.

Mangini was so succesful because he stuck to basic fundamentals.

Sounds like Cam has watched the movie "Rudy" one too many times.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Jul 2002

Dude that smack doesnt even make sense. Next season they will fail 10 times worse then this season?
                  Let me dumb this down for you.

The Fins will lose many, many games.

However, they will not be afraid.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                    • Mar 2005

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                      • Jul 2002

If what Cam says is true, than last year's first round pick, Jason Allen, must be absolutely fearless.

From the Miami Herald:

“Receiver Derek Hagan is running five yards behind cornerback Jason Allen on his way to a long pass completion and there are three ways to view this early snapshot of training camp.

The pessimist sees this play as another example of how wrong Nick Saban was to pick Allen with the 16th overall selection of the 2006 draft. Allen has rewarded that pick by failing to make the team any better in the past year, and today is mired well down the depth chart at a position begging depth.

The optimist would view this play as improvement by Allen.

During a June mini-camp, on a similarly sweltering day in another one-on-one match with Hagan, the receiver got some 20 yards behind Allen on his way to another long completion that would have been an embarrassing touchdown were it a regular-season game.

So, hey, Allen has improved his coverage by some 15 yards in just a few weeks."

I'd be plenty fearful.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gameboy
                        If what Cam says is true, than last year's first round pick, Jason Allen, must be absolutely fearless.

From the Miami Herald:

“Receiver Derek Hagan is running five yards behind cornerback Jason Allen on his way to a long pass completion and there are three ways to view this early snapshot of training camp.

The pessimist sees this play as another example of how wrong Nick Saban was to pick Allen with the 16th overall selection of the 2006 draft. Allen has rewarded that pick by failing to make the team any better in the past year, and today is mired well down the depth chart at a position begging depth.

The optimist would view this play as improvement by Allen.

During a June mini-camp, on a similarly sweltering day in another one-on-one match with Hagan, the receiver got some 20 yards behind Allen on his way to another long completion that would have been an embarrassing touchdown were it a regular-season game.
                        So, hey, Allen has improved his coverage by some 15 yards in just a few weeks."
                        I'd be plenty fearful.

Comment

• billsburgh
                          • Jul 2003

too difficult for a fin fan to comprehend

Comment

• shelby
                            The Vanilla *****
                            • Jul 2002

Comment

• dolphan117
                              • Dec 2005

OK that one was funny.

And yes Jason Allen is a very big concern, he has struggled in camp.... But he did force a fumble last night and make a couple tackles. You have to start somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X