PDA

View Full Version : Bills consider releasing Hargrove, seek DE help

Philagape
08-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Bills haven't ruled out releasing troubled DE Hargrove
By JOHN WAWROW
AP Sports Writer
PITTSFORD, N.Y. (AP) - Anthony Hargrove is running out of second chances with the Buffalo Bills, who are considering releasing the defensive end after he landed in trouble for the second time in a week.
"Releasing him is an option," coach Dick Jauron said Sunday, a day after the NFL suspended Hargrove for the first four regular-season games without pay for violating the league's substance abuse policy.
Jauron said he's still gathering information before deciding on Hargrove's status. But Jauron added the team will attempt to add a veteran defensive end to bolster its corps, which is now down to three experienced players.

patmoran2006
08-12-2007, 06:11 PM
He's gonna be gone..

Which sucks, cause I thought he played great Friday night. Like I said earlier, he was easily our best DL on the field.

Devin
08-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Yeah I hate to see the guy go, guess we shall see.

Scumbag College
08-12-2007, 06:16 PM
He's gonna be gone..

Which sucks, cause I thought he played great Friday night. Like I said earlier, he was easily our best DL on the field.

I agree with you there, I really liked the way he was constantly around the QB...

Any chance keeping Powell around for a few weeks longer or Ah You and Hargrove all year? Hargrove is definately a notch above those two guys and would be useful for the Bills after week 5. I'd hate to use a fifth round draft pick on a guy to only play 2/3 of one season and then release him.

gil
08-12-2007, 06:19 PM
The "problem" is, once you commit to character guys, you better stick to it. I love what this guy does for our D, but if I'm going to support what teams and Goodell have done to other players, then I have to stick to it here - it blows, but it would be the right decision.

duhbilz
08-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Simion Rice anyone??? He's on tour as we speak!

Scumbag College
08-12-2007, 06:25 PM
The "problem" is, once you commit to character guys, you better stick to it. I love what this guy does for our D, but if I'm going to support what teams and Goodell have done to other players, then I have to stick to it here - it blows, but it would be the right decision.

I agree...if it were one or the other, maybe he would get the benefit of the doubt. But the arrest and then a week later the suspension is going to be tough for the front office to overlook i guess.

Bling
08-12-2007, 06:30 PM
I hope Miami picks him up. We don't have DL problems (Obviously when you have Jason Taylor, Vonnie Holliday, Keith Traylor, and Matt Roth), but he'd be great as a guy we rotate in.

OpIv37
08-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Simeon Rice is kinda washed up but if Hargrove gets cut we're short on alternatives. I wouldn't be opposed to a 1 or 2 year contract- something that won't hose the cap.;

PECKERWOOD
08-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Please don't release Hargrove. PLEASE. He is the only DT we got that has stepped up behind K.Williams and L.Tripplett. This would be a huge mistake and from what I heard the guys apology for his accident was sincere. Show the man mercy Marv.

PECKERWOOD
08-12-2007, 07:23 PM
I hope Miami picks him up. We don't have DL problems (Obviously when you have Jason Taylor, Vonnie Holliday, Keith Traylor, and Matt Roth), but he'd be great as a guy we rotate in.

Oh God. This would be a nightmare for me. He would help Miami as a rotation player, like you said.

Mahdi
08-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Simeon Rice is kinda washed up but if Hargrove gets cut we're short on alternatives. I wouldn't be opposed to a 1 or 2 year contract- something that won't hose the cap.;
Simeon Rice would be ok, especially as a rotational guy to keep him fresh. I wouldnt mind Strahan either. Maybe for a 5th or something.

justasportsfan
08-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Oh God. This would be a nightmare for me. He would help Miami as a rotation player, like you said.
you think Walker or Peters can't handle him?

PECKERWOOD
08-12-2007, 07:53 PM

I'm sure they can. I'm just saying that Hargrove would make Miami a better team than they currently are. Why would I be happy for them for adding a good player to their team?

HHURRICANE
08-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Hargrove is a talent that I would like to risk keeping in a Bills uni. Please don't cut him!!!

raphael120
08-12-2007, 08:42 PM
We're worrying about a BACKUP, rotational DE getting suspended and it hurting us pretty bad.

Only in Buffalo.

And to all those Marv lovers out there...shouldnt we not care? We got "big money" Kelsay on the other side, we should be fine, shouldnt we?

PECKERWOOD
08-12-2007, 08:47 PM
We're worrying about a BACKUP, rotational DE getting suspended and it hurting us pretty bad.

Only in Buffalo.

And to all those Marv lovers out there...shouldnt we not care? We got "big money" Kelsay on the other side, we should be fine, shouldnt we?

Backups are important in the Tampa 2. Typically you rotate your good pass rushers in on 3rd down and Anothony Hargrove happens to be one of our best pass rushers on the DL, especially when plugged in at DT.

Carlton Bailey
08-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Simeon Rice is terrible, guys. Can't stop the run, can't pass a physical. Hargrove pretty much needs to be kept at this point. Strahan would be one hell of an addition, but he's pondering retirement, and in the unlikely event the Giants trade him, would merit probably a second-rounder.

raphael120
08-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Backups are important in the Tampa 2. Typically you rotate your good pass rushers in on 3rd down and Anothony Hargrove happens to be one of our best pass rushers on the DL, especially when plugged in at DT.

I know. Tell Marv & Co that for spending so much money on a rotational guy in Kelsay when Hargove showed much more balls than Kelsay did and is probably making a fraction of what kelsay is.

The whole D-line situation is officially ****ed...not that it wasn't before.

Bling
08-12-2007, 09:19 PM

That logic is flawed, justa. Let's say there's 60 plays for the Bills' offense. Technically speaking Walker and Peters win 59 of those plays, because Walker and Peters don't let Hargrove get to the QB. But that one time they let Hargrove get to the QB is enough to create damage in the Bills' offense.

You really hate to lose a player to a 4 game suspension. Marv hates it, but Marv needs to swallow his pride and keep his best DL prospect right now. Forget high character guys, and keep him. Sure you'll be seen as a hypocrite, but when you lose your best to trade, your former #1 is always hurt, and DL is your worst corp. You have to keep the guy. Your hands are tied, but you need to. Your whole defense needs any DL help they can get.

camelcowboy
08-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Simeon Rice is terrible, guys. Can't stop the run, can't pass a physical. Hargrove pretty much needs to be kept at this point. Strahan would be one hell of an addition, but he's pondering retirement, and in the unlikely event the Giants trade him, would merit probably a second-rounder. If he passes a physical, he would be one hell of a passrusher on passing downs.

TigerJ
08-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Who are the veteran alternatives besides Simeon Rice and Michael Strahan?

OpIv37
08-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Who are the veteran alternatives besides Simeon Rice and Michael Strahan?

Tank Johnson and Anthony Hargrove... oh, wait, nevermind.

Michael82
08-13-2007, 12:53 AM
Please don't release Hargrove. PLEASE. He is the only DT we got that has stepped up behind K.Williams and L.Tripplett. This would be a huge mistake and from what I heard the guys apology for his accident was sincere. Show the man mercy Marv.
I hate to be a hypocrit, but I totally agree with you. If we weren't so desperate on our DL, i would have no problem cutting his ass. And like you said, he really sounded sincere and I believe him. He's not a piece of ****, he just needs to grow up a bit. I believe that this whole thing will help him out there. :up: