PDA

View Full Version : You Be the GM: Should and Will the Bills Release Hargrove?

Meathead
08-12-2007, 07:34 PM
and please no pepper spray

X-Era
08-12-2007, 07:43 PM
and please no pepper spray

To me its put up or shut up.

Dont claim to want a character team and then keep this guy.

PECKERWOOD
08-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Keep him, he isn't that bad of a character plus he provides depth behind Williams and Tripplett. He seemingly gets along with his teammates well so lets not try to paint the guy out to be a TO or Randy Moss. I think Hargrove is going to emerge as one of our best players at DT. Take the 4 game suspension and lick your wounds Bills, don't release him and make his presence gone for another 12 games after that, we will be hurting.

camelcowboy
08-12-2007, 07:48 PM
he should been cut after the arrest.

OpIv37
08-12-2007, 07:57 PM
I don't necessarily think that these incidents make Hargrove a "low character" guy- if he doesn't learn from them and improve, then maybe that label is fitting.

The bigger issue for me is the cap hit and roster spot for a guy who's useless for at least a quarter of the season. DL is the weakest part of the team and I just can't see keeping him around when we need so much help.

And it sucks, too, because I love the guy's energy and he was the only guy on the DL who didn't completely suck on Friday.

Devin
08-12-2007, 07:59 PM
SHould they? Yes.

Will they? No.

We arent exactly over-flowing with DL talent.

HHURRICANE
08-12-2007, 08:02 PM
Should they: Yes

Should we: No

This is when being a fan and being a hypocrit go hand in hand.

PECKERWOOD
08-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Should they: Yes

Should we: No

This is when being a fan and being a hypocrit go hand in hand.

Agreed.

Call me a hypocrit, I don't give a ****! Keep him..

DraftBoy
08-12-2007, 09:38 PM
We should and I hope we will...Id love to keep him but I cant support keeping him on this team given his suspension for substance abuse. Forget the arrest for now since the facts still arent clear, the substance abuse is a huge issue for me.

Mitchy moo
08-12-2007, 09:43 PM
need of depth will force us to keep him.

Ebenezer
08-12-2007, 10:37 PM
:bigwave:

clumping platelets
08-12-2007, 11:09 PM
I would like to wait and see what all the facts are regarding his situation

Ebenezer
08-12-2007, 11:11 PM
I would like to wait and see what all the facts are regarding his situation
with the suspension it doesn't look good.

djjimkelly
08-12-2007, 11:51 PM
i pray they wont he makes plays when hes in line up however hes not doing well off the field

Michael82
08-13-2007, 12:59 AM
I hope to God that he doesn't get released. He was our best DL on Friday and has been very impressive in camp. He's also a really nice guy and fan favorite during the games on special teams. I think that Marv believes in 2nd chances and will give him one. :up:

LifetimeBillsFan
08-13-2007, 04:06 AM
IMHO a lot would depend on what substance(s) he was caught using.

I'm leaning towards releasing him, but, given the Bills' needs on the DL, I'm not sure if they can find an adequate replacement for him and as well as a DT amongst the players who are available or likely to end up being cut before the season starts. I think it may end up being a close call either way.

Typ0
08-13-2007, 06:24 AM
I think it depends on the individual. They are talking to him and they know his attitude and what's going on a lot more than we do. You can sit around your computer and say every bill should be out helping old ladies across the street and being a big brother but the reality is there is a team of players there and the organization has to stand behind the players not caste them out every time there is a hiccup.

Maybe AH has had some trouble. Maybe he's ready for some patience and help to get him past it. That can be the kind of situation everyone can rally around. Don't pass judgement on these guys you don't know. Let the team work it out.

Buckets
08-13-2007, 07:32 AM
IMHO a lot would depend on what substance(s) he was caught using.

I'm leaning towards releasing him, but, given the Bills' needs on the DL, I'm not sure if they can find an adequate replacement for him and as well as a DT amongst the players who are available or likely to end up being cut before the season starts. I think it may end up being a close call either way.

I couldn't have said it better.

shelby
08-13-2007, 07:50 AM
While i agree that we need him, if the NFL is serious about cracking down on substance abuse issues, he should be released.
He is a paid professional athlete, he should be responsible enough to conduct himself accordingly.

Typ0
08-13-2007, 07:58 AM
While i agree that we need him, if the NFL is serious about cracking down on substance abuse issues, he should be released.
He is a paid professional athlete, he should be responsible enough to conduct himself accordingly.

I thought the penalty was a four week suspension not being released.

HHURRICANE
08-13-2007, 08:01 AM
I hope to God that he doesn't get released. He was our best DL on Friday and has been very impressive in camp. He's also a really nice guy and fan favorite during the games on special teams. I think that Marv believes in 2nd chances and will give him one. :up:

Unfortunately, this would be his 4th chance. He got traded out of St. Louis for missing 2 days of meetings for no reason. Add the fight and now the drug suspension and.....I'm feeling like he might be gone.

Typ0
08-13-2007, 08:04 AM
He must be working cheap because of his problems...we can't keep a good guy around so we have to resort to desparate measures. Nice try, oh well. Just chalk this one up as one of the six or so hundred things that have to work out for us to win games that didn't work out.

blackonyx89
08-13-2007, 08:05 AM
He gets 1 More Chance! If he messes up, adios amigos!!!

Yasgur's Farm
08-13-2007, 11:32 AM
The bigger issue for me is the cap hit and roster spot for a guy who's useless for at least a quarter of the season. DL is the weakest part of the team and I just can't see keeping him around when we need so much help.Coach explained in his press conference that the NFL doesn't consider him in factoring both the cap and the roster spot for those 4 games.

In addition (Not intended for you OP)...

1) As many of you have already stated... His punishment is a 4 game suspension... I'm not sure how legal it would be for the Bills to release him for the same reason as the suspension.

2) For all of you who say release him, are you willing to accept that same precedent in the future if it envolves 1 of our elite players? Hypothetically speaking of coarse.

DraftBoy
08-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Coach explained in his press conference that the NFL doesn't consider him in factoring both the cap and the roster spot for those 4 games.

1) As many of you have already stated... His punishment is a 4 game suspension... I'm not sure how legal it would be for the Bills to release him for the same reason as the suspension.

2) For all of you who say release him, are you willing to accept that same precedent in the future if it envolves 1 of our elite players? Hypothetically speaking of coarse.

Yes I dont care if it was Lee Evans, JP Losman or Brian Moorman if the player was traded due to conduct issues, struck a police officer and was suspended for drug use his ass is gone.

Yasgur's Farm
08-13-2007, 11:44 AM
The ONLY real valid incident you listed is the suspension... Thus, the ONLY NFL action.

The rest is all a conglomeration of press reports, rumors and heresay...

1) The Bills traded for him knowing the situation with the Rams (The details of which none of us know).

2) He was not nor has been charged with assault of any kind... So how valid is the "rumor" that he struck an officer?

OpIv37
08-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Coach explained in his press conference that the NFL doesn't consider him in factoring both the cap and the roster spot for those 4 games.

actually, NFL contracts are not guaranteed at all- any player can be released at any time and no reason has to be given.

Voltron
08-13-2007, 12:22 PM
He must be working cheap because of his problems...we can't keep a good guy around so we have to resort to desparate measures. Nice try, oh well. Just chalk this one up as one of the six or so hundred things that have to work out for us to win games that didn't work out.
From what I read (can't remeber where off the top of my head) he is playing for 850K with a 1 yr contract. That may be League Min. not sure.

madness
08-13-2007, 12:24 PM
This is too much pressure. I've decided to go release myself.

Voltron
08-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Oh and my thought is that We have no choice but to keep him. We just don't have enough guys at DE to play the rotation the Perry likes to run.