PDA

View Full Version : It is time to add a VET on the DLine!!

bigbub2352
08-13-2007, 08:33 AM
I would not be writing this, but in the wake of Hargroves ignorance, i do believe it is time to start lookin at who is available on the DLine, someone who could at least bring us some leadership and depth, not asking to break the bank, just bring someone in someone so that Hargrove can be released and maybe so we dont have to have Powell or Anderson on the 53 man roster anymore, plus we have the salary cap to add anyone we want!

Corey Simon DT
Simeon Rice DE
Grant Wistrom DE
Jason Fisk DT
Willie Blade DT
Seth Payne DT
Tyoka Jackson DE
Dan Wilkonson DT
Tank Johnson DT after his 4 game suspension but i doubt it
Courtney Brown DE
Jonathan Sullivan DT
ED Jasper DT

These are the most notable players still lookin for jobs, plus u still have the first roster cuts, and also we do have extra picks in the 5th and 7th i would throw around to get a depth player, but i am sorry, after watching Anderson do nothing at all again, and Hargrove bein an *******, i think it is time we bring in a vet who can provide solid depth in a pinch
anythoughts?

djjimkelly
08-13-2007, 08:41 AM
id be all for simeon rice on a 1 year deal tank johnson with major stipulations and a low end 1 year contract flyer on simon would be ok.

BUT JUST 1 of the 3

OpIv37
08-13-2007, 08:47 AM
There's no point in going after Tank- his suspension is actually 8 games.

There really isn't too much quality in that group any more- but we'll end up picking up one of them because of the lack of other options.

G. Host
08-13-2007, 08:54 AM
Not developing talent is what makes defenses get old. Bills need to develop talent not get another bandaid.

OpIv37
08-13-2007, 08:57 AM
Not developing talent is what makes defenses get old. Bills need to develop talent not get another bandaid.

one problem: the season starts in a month. It takes just a little longer than that to develop talent.

bigbub2352
08-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Problem is we have been developin Dlineman and they are not panning out, Powell, Anderson, Jefferson, Ryan Neil, are all bums, i agree with developin them but if the guys u r currently developin cant hold ur jock strap it is time to get a stop gap until next year when they can draft and sign some other players, our current Dline depth is awful, hence i i think a temporary solution is better than no solution at all

ddaryl
08-13-2007, 09:05 AM
We definetly need to get better on the DL.

We're going to need a DE to replace Hargrove, and I would really like an upgrade inserted into our DT rotation.

clumping platelets
08-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Grant Winstrom is retired cuz of his knees

none of those guys impress me much..........

PromoTheRobot
08-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Nice list of guys who were good but are now all but finished in the NFL. If we were playing Madden 2005 then you'd have something. :sigh:

PTR

eyedog
08-13-2007, 09:46 AM
This is why you don't draft safeties when good d-tackles fall into your lap. The Bills haven't fiqured that out yet.

HHURRICANE
08-13-2007, 10:53 AM
I think this the part where I say "I told you so.":nod:

The DL was an issue 6 months ago and now we are in panic mode. Let's give Marv another "high Five" for getting a 5th rounder next year, for a player that we needed this year.

Does anybody see how ridiculous this is? We had the best available Defensive Lineman under contract. All we had to do was sign him.

bigbub2352
08-13-2007, 12:36 PM
U cant really say we didnt address Dline, We Overpaid for Kelsay and Denney, We tried to trade for a DT who got way overpaid, and we did draft a DT in the 1st round last year that so far looks like a bust, as well as 5th round gem in Kyle williams, we also traded for a DE last year as well for depth, and this year we took CJ Ah you, so it is not like we havent tried, it just seems like nothing is panning out for us at the moment, we need McCargo to be a player bad now that scares me

eyedog
08-13-2007, 03:09 PM
You had Ngata sitting there and they took a safety.

Wys Guy
08-13-2007, 03:18 PM
I think this the part where I say "I told you so.":nod:

The DL was an issue 6 months ago and now we are in panic mode. Let's give Marv another "high Five" for getting a 5th rounder next year, for a player that we needed this year.

Does anybody see how ridiculous this is? We had the best available Defensive Lineman under contract. All we had to do was sign him.

Exactly right. This FO/new regime has brought in more players at DT than at any other position since they've been here and the result appears to be complete whiffs all around.

This isn't a game of "sixth time could be the charm." It's the NFL. But hey, let's give Marv & Jauron, the Ivy League Dynamic Duo a few more years as the benefit of the doubt, eh.

We all know, for those of us that are intellectually honest, exactly what the problem(s) are. We can all express our opinion on it, or just sit around and watch as fewer and fewer people in the Buffalo region even care from season to season.

McCargo: 2 draft picks in a trade-up; Seeming major whiff, predictably
Williams: 5th round; nothing special
Anderson; leftover
Tripplett; biggest waste of money this team has ever seen as a veteran DT signed to more than vet min
D. Walker: Gave the organization a black eye for refusing to play on this team; ILDD didn't do their homework on that one

But there's always Jason Jefferson, ... boy howdy. LOL

Time for some people that know how to run a football team and who know what fundamental football is, what it's predicated on, and what talent is. That means a new personnel office, new GM, new Head Coach, new OL coach, and perhaps even a new DL coach.

That's many of our takes. Then there's the fan segment that seem to want another few seasons of this as they watch whatever residue of this team is left on the carpet get stomped out of sight into the fibers.

LOL

That's all you can do anymore with this team, is laugh, ... just sit back and laugh at the folly and watch other teams and college ball.

Wys Guy
08-13-2007, 03:20 PM
BTW, a bunch of well past prime and injury retreads aren't the answers here.

Match the words from those making the decisions to the actual results, and that's the problem.

HHURRICANE
08-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Exactly right. This FO/new regime has brought in more players at DT than at any other position since they've been here and the result appears to be complete whiffs all around.

This isn't a game of "sixth time could be the charm." It's the NFL. But hey, let's give Marv & Jauron, the Ivy League Dynamic Duo a few more years as the benefit of the doubt, eh.

We all know, for those of us that are intellectually honest, exactly what the problem(s) are. We can all express our opinion on it, or just sit around and watch as fewer and fewer people in the Buffalo region even care from season to season.

McCargo: 2 draft picks in a trade-up; Seeming major whiff, predictably
Williams: 5th round; nothing special
Anderson; leftover
Tripplett; biggest waste of money this team has ever seen as a veteran DT signed to more than vet min
D. Walker: Gave the organization a black eye for refusing to play on this team; ILDD didn't do their homework on that one

But there's always Jason Jefferson, ... boy howdy. LOL

Time for some people that know how to run a football team and who know what fundamental football is, what it's predicated on, and what talent is. That means a new personnel office, new GM, new Head Coach, new OL coach, and perhaps even a new DL coach.

That's many of our takes. Then there's the fan segment that seem to want another few seasons of this as they watch whatever residue of this team is left on the carpet get stomped out of sight into the fibers.

LOL

That's all you can do anymore with this team, is laugh, ... just sit back and laugh at the folly and watch other teams and college ball.

You can't blame Marv and Jauron for all of this. They inherited a team that sucked and are basically rebuilding it.

So we disagree here.

However, I do wan't to know how Walker leaves here without getting signed. Especially when his contract in Chicago was more than reasonable.

Ebenezer
08-13-2007, 03:35 PM

I'm not going to count Walker against the Bills. They may have truly thought they could get a contract done with the guy but the negotiations didn't work out - that stuff happens.

Factually, though about the DT's you are incorrect. The number of DTs brought in by ML is pretty similar to that of other positions. Anderson and Jefferson were hold overs from TD. Draft picks take time to mature. We won't know until mid-2008 what draftees from last year can actually do.

DTs brought in by ML:
McCargo
Williams
Tripplett

Ss:
Whitner
Simpson
Wendling

TE:
Royal
Shooman
Murphy

RB:
Lynch
Wright
Thomas
Jackson
Scooby

Ts:
Walker
Pennington

Gs:
Dockery
Merz
Whittle
Butler

WRs:
Davis
Price

QBs:
Nall
Edwards

LBs:
Poz
Ellison
DiGregorio

Teams only get so many draft picks and GMs under RW only get so much money to deal with. TD left a mountain of problems here when he was fired. I don't think there is an executive out there, even Bill Polian, who could have addressed the mess left by TD as quickly as some people want.

Ebenezer
08-13-2007, 03:36 PM
You can't blame Marv and Jauron for all of this. They inherited a team that sucked and are basically rebuilding it.

So we disagree here.

However, I do wan't to know how Walker leaves here without getting signed. Especially when his contract in Chicago was more than reasonable.
would you take less money to sign with the Bears who went to the SB last year and may be even better this year or with the Bills who could take two more years to make the playoffs?

Ebenezer
08-13-2007, 03:36 PM

So we disagree here.

would you take less money to sign with the Bears who went to the SB last year and may be even better this year or with the Bills who could take two more years to make the playoffs?

SquishDaFish
08-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Add Gerard Warren to that list. On trading block according to ESPNEWS

OpIv37
08-13-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm not going to count Walker against the Bills. They may have truly thought they could get a contract done with the guy but the negotiations didn't work out - that stuff happens.

Factually, though about the DT's you are incorrect. The number of DTs brought in by ML is pretty similar to that of other positions. Anderson and Jefferson were hold overs from TD. Draft picks take time to mature. We won't know until mid-2008 what draftees from last year can actually do.

DTs brought in by ML:
McCargo
Williams
Tripplett

Ss:
Whitner
Simpson
Wendling

TE:
Royal
Shooman
Murphy

RB:
Lynch
Wright
Thomas
Jackson
Scooby

Ts:
Walker
Pennington

Gs:
Dockery
Merz
Whittle
Butler

WRs:
Davis
Price

QBs:
Nall
Edwards

LBs:
Poz
Ellison
DiGregorio

Teams only get so many draft picks and GMs under RW only get so much money to deal with. TD left a mountain of problems here when he was fired. I don't think there is an executive out there, even Bill Polian, who could have addressed the mess left by TD as quickly as some people want.

You're not going to count trading for a disgruntled player without agreeing to a contract in principle first against the Bills? Why not? It was a stupid move all around- everything from not having a deal in principle to the stupid "reverts to Philly for a 6th rounder" clause to the failure to sign him. The entire thing was botched, and we ended up with nothing to help us this year.

Ebenezer
08-13-2007, 03:48 PM
You're not going to count trading for a disgruntled player without agreeing to a contract in principle first against the Bills? Why not? It was a stupid move all around- everything from not having a deal in principle to the stupid "reverts to Philly for a 6th rounder" clause to the failure to sign him. The entire thing was botched, and we ended up with nothing to help us this year.
Personally, I don't think he was going to be that great of an addition, the money would not have been worth it and the real benefit of the Spikes trade was freeing up cap space long term. Or don't you think that was a positive?

Again, we have no clue what happened behind the scenes.

OpIv37
08-13-2007, 03:50 PM
Personally, I don't think he was going to be that great of an addition, the money would not have been worth it and the real benefit of the Spikes trade was freeing up cap space long term. Or don't you think that was a positive?

Again, we have no clue what happened behind the scenes.

what good is cap space when we don't have the players we need on the field?

For whatever reason, the Bills FO was unable to attract Walker here. That's a problem in and of itself.

Ebenezer
08-13-2007, 04:01 PM
what good is cap space when we don't have the players we need on the field?

For whatever reason, the Bills FO was unable to attract Walker here. That's a problem in and of itself.
gee, 7 losing seasons might have something to do with it....

funny, they got other FAs here...maybe Walker was the real problem.

So, when, on your insistence, they fire ML tomorrow whom do YOU recommend they hire?

RedEyE
08-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Great thread bigbub. Almost everyone of those guys is an instant upgrade.

HHURRICANE
08-13-2007, 04:39 PM

Sorry, but we traded for him so we needed to sign him. It's essentially a one year deal that he got in Chicago. The Bills blew it. You can't always make excuses for this organization especially on a player that we absolutely needed.

This was cheap money based on today's NFL so we could have afforded to overpay slightly to help us get through the season.

OpIv37
08-13-2007, 05:54 PM
gee, 7 losing seasons might have something to do with it....

funny, they got other FAs here...maybe Walker was the real problem.

So, when, on your insistence, they fire ML tomorrow whom do YOU recommend they hire?

I never insisted that they fire Marv- I just said that when he ****s up, admit that he ****ed up. And the Walker thing was an epic **** up.

baalworship
08-13-2007, 05:59 PM
I really like what this team did in addressing the offensive line but our number one need coming in was the same as last year: Run Stuffing Defensive Tackle.

If we miss the playoffs for the 8th year or so in a row it will be because our softness up the middle.

If we can sign somebody that can at least clog the run a little on 1st and 2nd down lets do it. McCargo has shown nothing yet.

eyedog
08-13-2007, 06:35 PM
I really like what this team did in addressing the offensive line but our number one need coming in was the same as last year: Run Stuffing Defensive Tackle.

If we miss the playoffs for the 8th year or so in a row it will be because our softness up the middle.

If we can sign somebody that can at least clog the run a little on 1st and 2nd down lets do it. McCargo has shown nothing yet.

That's the whole point. They had the ****** guy sitting right there at #13 in last years draft. Then if they really had a hard-on for McCargo they could have still traded up and drafted him also. God knows our d-tackles all basically suck, outside of Williams who's serviceable, we could have you both Ngata and McCargo.
I want one person to tell me, finding a good safety is harder to find then a good d-tackle. I mean c'mon, if we were stacked at d-tackle THEN you take a safety. Cripe.

eyedog
08-13-2007, 06:36 PM
That's why this team has been losing for the last decade, they don't know how/who to draft and that catches up to your team real quick.