X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madness
    • Apr 2003

breakdown madness

As I was watching the 2nd half of the game I noticed my habitual tendency to hit the skip back button on my direcTV remote every time something or somebody caught my eye. It dawned on me after one or two drives that I mind as well jot down some notes to minimize my normal memory drain. I focused more on the players then the plays since this is obviously preseason and the game plans are vani... how about we go with "green" or say... the opposite of the what the Saints were doing?

I'm going go back and look over the 1st half and the start of the 2nd half and review as much tape as I can each morning during the week then add to this thread.
  • madness
    • Apr 2003

Re: breakdown madness

Schouman - He had excellent blocks on two blitz pickups and sold a defender on a block and release even though the play broke down through the line. Being more experienced with the H-back position the the two ahead of him on the depth chart, I'd like to see what this guy could do with a few more reps in practice.

Pennington - Everybody knows by now that he had extra help on his side last season but if this game was any indication of how much, it was way more then I expected. He looked confused on who to block and on one particular play and let a man blow by him for an easy sack of Edwards. He also seems to have 'tunnel vision' while engaged and wouldn't notice a train rolling by on the outside.

Jackson - All celebrate as we finally have a back that should push Shaud off the roster! I was worried Williams would have even a better chance to stick to this roster fitting into Fairchild's offense but Jackson might put a stop to that. He has good vision, and excellent burst and puts forth a convincing second effort. He can catch mostly everything that comes his way and turned the corner nicely a couple of times including his TD run.

Hargrove - What a disappointing turn of events the past two weeks have been. I really think he's a perfect compliment to backing up Schobel and not having him play in the first four games is going to hurt us considering how critical the first five games are going to be. He brings great energy to the field and stays after the QB until the play is dead. He even looks good in run support and it would be a shame if we have to cut ties with him.

Youboty - As slow as his progression may be, we can see the light finally turning on. He was very solid in coverage and run support and excellent on special teams. His ability has never been a question, it's alway been about consistency. Let's hope he brings it together this season.

My list of camp fodder because they showed it - LB Kevin Harrison, LB Thaddeus Washington, and LB roy Manning. I know, I know. They're all LBs at this point but they all seemed to be out of position and a step slow on most plays.
    Last edited by madness; 08-13-2007, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by madness
      My list of camp fodder because they showed it - LB Kevin Harrison, LB Thaddeus Washington, and LB roy Manning. I know, I know. They're all LBs at this point but they all seemed to be out of position and a step slow on most plays.
      ha- I remember one play where Palko scrambled and 2 of those 3 (I don't remember which two) made desperate Superman dives attempting to tackle him. If it were a real game, I would have been livid, but since neither of them will make the team, it was just comical. It looked like freshman high school football.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• HHURRICANE
        • Mar 2005

Schouman - He had excellent blocks on two blitz pickups and sold a defender on a block and release even though the play broke down through the line. Being more experienced with the H-back position the the two ahead of him on the depth chart, I'd like to see what this guy could do with a few more reps in practice.

Pennington - Everybody knows by now that he had extra help on his side last season but if this game was any indication of how much it was way more then I expected. He looked confused on who to block and on one particular play and let a man blow by him for an easy sack of Edwards. He also seems to have 'tunnel vision' while engaged and wouldn't notice a train rolling by on the outside.

Jackson - All celebrate as we finally have a back that should push Shaud off the roster! I was worried Williams would have even a better chance to stick to this roster fitting into Fairchild's offense but Jackson might put a stop to that. He has good vision, and excellent burst and puts forth a convincing second effort. He can catch mostly everything that comes his way and turned the corner nicely a couple of times including his TD run.

Hargrove - What a disappointing turn of events the past two weeks have been. I really think he's a perfect compliment to backing up Schobel and not having him play in the first four games is going to hurt us considering how critical the first five games are going to be. He brings great energy to the field and stays after the QB until the play is dead. He even looks good in run support and it would be a shame if we have to cut ties with him.

Youboty - As slow as his progression may be, we can see the light finally turning on. He was very solid in coverage and run support and excellent on special teams. His ability has never been a question, it's alway been about consistency. Let's hope he brings it together this season.

Thank you. Yeah, I had posted that Pennington was getting alot more help last year than we all thought. Langston Walker is here for a reason.

Comment

• madness
          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
          ha- I remember one play where Palko scrambled and 2 of those 3 (I don't remember which two) made desperate Superman dives attempting to tackle him. If it were a real game, I would have been livid, but since neither of them will make the team, it was just comical. It looked like freshman high school football.
          I know exactly which play you're referring to and it was definitely comical. Nice last ditch effort to impress the coaches!

Comment

• madness
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
            Thank you. Yeah, I had posted that Pennington was getting alot more help last year than we all thought. Langston Walker is here for a reason.
            The worst part was that Pennington was playing against some serious scrubs Friday. He has a long way to go before he ever sees a starting lineup again.

Comment

• Oaf
              Do you read what you write?
              • Jun 2007

Gosh, how did we PLAY with him last year?

Comment

• madness
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Oaf
                Gosh, how did we PLAY with him last year?
                Robert Royal.

Comment

• jamze132
                  Don’t hate…
                  • Jun 2003

Robert Royal.
                  And McGahee...but that didn't really matter since he couldn't block either. Baltimore will find out the hard way.

Comment

Working...
                  X