PDA

View Full Version : Cleo Lemon starting for Miami!!

HHURRICANE
08-13-2007, 03:08 PM
That's right, Mr. Lemon is getting the entire 1st half in Miami's second pre-season game.

jamze132
08-13-2007, 03:24 PM
That's right, Mr. Lemon is getting the entire 1st half in Miami's second pre-season game.
Well what did you expect? He gives them the best chance to win. It will take a while for Beck to make a significant contribution being a rookie and all.

DraftBoy
08-13-2007, 03:33 PM
I heard he looked really good in their first game and why not give him a shot he's a real unknown and he could be a real surprise.

Bling
08-13-2007, 03:43 PM
I heard he looked really good in their first game and why not give him a shot he's a real unknown and he could be a real surprise.

Heard? You should've seen him: 5/6 and lead his troops for a score. Green definitely looked like he was holding onto the ball too long. If there's one thing Harrington did well, it was that he got rid of the ball. If he starts, besides wasting a 5th rounder on I guess tutoring Beck, I will not be at all pissed. I like Cleo.

dolphan117
08-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Cam has yet to announce a season starter though. Last game Lemon and Green were "co-starters" so since Green was the first guy to go last game this time Lemon starts it out.

Earthquake Enyart
08-13-2007, 04:26 PM
:rofl:

I love it when the phins suck.

duhbilz
08-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Heard? You should've seen him: 5/6 and lead his troops for a score. Green definitely looked like he was holding onto the ball too long. If there's one thing Harrington did well, it was that he got rid of the ball. If he starts, besides wasting a 5th rounder on I guess tutoring Beck, I will not be at all pissed. I like Cleo.
Green was playing against the Jags best D that ranked 4th overall last year, Cleo wasn't. Cleo was playing with and against the second and third teamers and he's been a starter, so he has experience he should play well against backups. Greens play wasn't nearly as bad as the Oline play, Green moved around well in the pocket and threw some nice passes. Miami didn't start or play, JT, Zach, K.Traylor, or Joey Porter. yet the Dolphins backups still sacked Leftwhich several times against the Jags starters.

Nonetheless it's just preseason for "EVERYONE" and nothing can be taken from any game played. 1st, 2nd, 3rd OR 4th qtrs, period! Let's not get carried away.

Earthquake Enyart
08-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Green was playing against the Jags best D that ranked 4th overall last year, Cleo wasn't. Cleo was playing with and against the second and third teamers and he's been a starter, so he has experience he should play well against backups. Greens play wasn't nearly as bad as the Oline play, Green moved around well in the pocket and threw some nice passes. Miami didn't start or play, JT, Zach, K.Traylor, or Joey Porter. yet the Dolphins backups still sacked Leftwhich several times against their Jags starters.

Nonetheless it's just preseason for "EVERYONE" and nothing can be taken from any game played. 1st, 2nd, 3rd OR 4th qtrs, period! Let's not get carried away.

duhbilz
08-13-2007, 04:59 PM

Sorry I didn't post a bias post for you. I'm sure you'll get over it.

Bling
08-13-2007, 05:02 PM
I still think Cleo did the best he could, and Green underachieved.

dolphan117
08-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Green was playing against the Jags best D that ranked 4th overall last year, Cleo wasn't. Cleo was playing with and against the second and third teamers and he's been a starter, so he has experience he should play well against backups. Greens play wasn't nearly as bad as the Oline play, Green moved around well in the pocket and threw some nice passes. Miami didn't start or play, JT, Zach, K.Traylor, or Joey Porter. yet the Dolphins backups still sacked Leftwhich several times against their Jags starters.

Nonetheless it's just preseason for "EVERYONE" and nothing can be taken from any game played. 1st, 2nd, 3rd OR 4th qtrs, period! Let's not get carried away.:bf1:

Which is why the Chiefs game should tell us a lot. Cleo looked good but like you said it was against second and third string guys, its going to be a lot more telling what he does against the Chiefs first team.

duhbilz
08-13-2007, 05:14 PM
I still think Cleo did the best he could, and Green underachieved.

You would know more then me, but I watched the replay of that game and I'm not sure Cleo would have done anything against the Jags had he started. When the Bills faced the Saints D JP was running early and often, and the Bills weren't playing a D nearly as tough in the Saints as Jacksonville has. Still, I'm sure the Bills didn't gameplan anything, they didn't spend time in the film room studying film on the Saints and as it is every year, the offense takes the longest to gel.

I don't know how you can determine who played better when there wasn't any way you can really tell anything at this point. The Blocking on almost every team in the league so far has be poor, it's always an advantage for the D early on. Even when the season starts it take 3-5 weeks to have an offense up and running efficently and that's if you're returning the same exact team from the year before, we're not even talking changing QB's and changing OC. It's a process, but it can be truned around.

Goobylal
08-13-2007, 05:51 PM
You would know more then me, but I watched the replay of that game and I'm not sure Cleo would have done anything against the Jags had he started. When the Bills faced the Saints D JP was running early and often, and the Bills weren't playing a D nearly as tough in the Saints as Jacksonville has. Still, I'm sure the Bills didn't gameplan anything, they didn't spend time in the film room studying film on the Saints and as it is every year, the offense takes the longest to gel.
Last year JP wasn't sacked once in a win over the Jags last year.

duhbilz
08-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Last year JP wasn't sacked once in a win over the Jags last year.

What does that have to do with this preseason??

justasportsfan
08-13-2007, 06:22 PM
haha!you usually pour lemon to take the stinch from seasfood. Let's see if this will work. The smell might be too much.

duhbilz
08-13-2007, 06:39 PM
I just read Green will start against KC.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-813dolphins-qbs,0,663874.story

Bat09Freak
08-13-2007, 06:41 PM
what a fruit...

dolphan117
08-13-2007, 07:01 PM
I just read Green will start against KC.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-813dolphins-qbs,0,663874.storyUgh, I really wanted Cleo to be given a legit shot.

PECKERWOOD
08-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Lemon's loyal fanbase should be called the Lemon Headz! So how many of you Miami fans are Lemon Headz???

Goobylal
08-13-2007, 07:53 PM
What does that have to do with this preseason??
You made this statement, did you not?

the Bills weren't playing a D nearly as tough in the Saints as Jacksonville has
The defense for the Jags is virtually the same as last year's.

duhbilz
08-13-2007, 08:22 PM
You made this statement, did you not?

The defense for the Jags is virtually the same as last year's.

It's just a preseason game, was my point.

Goobylal
08-13-2007, 08:24 PM
It's just a preseason game, was my point.
That's a good point. I was merely trying to point-out that JP faced that same defense playing for real last year and did well against them.

duhbilz
08-13-2007, 08:34 PM
That's a good point. I was merely trying to point-out that JP faced that same defense playing for real last year and did well against them.

Gotcha.

dolphan117
08-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Lemon's loyal fanbase should be called the Lemon Headz! So how many of you Miami fans are Lemon Headz???I'm not a Lemon head but I wanted to see what he could do if given a ligit chance at starting..... Which it appears he isnt going to get.

Goobylal
08-13-2007, 09:10 PM
I'm not a Lemon head but I wanted to see what he could do if given a ligit chance at starting..... Which it appears he isnt going to get.
Isn't he going to start the first half against the Chefs?

dolphan117
08-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Isn't he going to start the first half against the Chefs?Nope, South Florida Media reported that he was....... Only to have Cam say in his PC that it wasnt true. Green will be the starter vs the Chiefs.

DAVIE - Dolphins coach Cam Cameron shot down an on-line media report that said quarterback Trent Green would start the second half of Thursday's exhibition game against the Kansas City Chiefs, and that Cleo Lemon would play the entire first half.

"That one I could deny. That will not happen,'' Cameron adamantly said after a shells only afternoon practice.http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-813dolphins-qbs,0,663874.story

Goobylal
08-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Was there supposed to be an open QB competition or was Green the starter, period?

dolphan117
08-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Was there supposed to be an open QB competition or was Green the starter, period?There is an open QB competition and Green and Cleo are "Co-Starters". No decision has been made about who the opening day starter will be. :rolleyes:

I just put my thoughts together of Finheaven so I'll just copy and past here-

You know the question I have? Who is benefiting from this "We don't have a starter yet BS?

I mean seriously. The majority of the media never bought it, ditto with the fans..... And in the end neither matter anyway. Nor should they for that matter. As much as I have opinions and wish Cleo was being given a legit shot Cam knows more about QB's then I probably ever will so if he feels Green is the guy then fine, he's the coach and its his call.

So if the media and the fans don't matter then we are left with the team right? So how is our team benefiting from this charade? Green isn't being given as many reps with the first team as he would if we ended the debate and gave him the keys and Cleo is getting strung along on the hope of a job that he doesn't have a shot at unless Green gets hurt....

The receivers, backs, and offensive line aren't getting as many reps with the opening day starter either. So I don't see how the delay is helping them any in terms of developing timing and getting used to how Green moves in the pocket.

Regardless of media or fan expectations I'm just not sure how its helping the Miami Dolphins to pretend like Cleo is the "Co Starter" right now. And at the end of the day that's what matters. The only thing I can think of is that our staff doesn't think Green will last the season and even though they know he will start day one they want everyone to have lots of reps with Cleo because they feel there is a good chance he will play at some point this year due to injury.

Am I completely misreading this whole thing?

Bling
08-13-2007, 10:56 PM
Give me some Lemonade, I'm starting the bandwagon! I'm also a Green-aid (get it?)... haha... I like all our QBs. First time I've ever said that.

LtFinFan66
08-14-2007, 03:18 AM
That's right, Mr. Lemon is getting the entire 1st half in Miami's second pre-season game.Way to make this seem like a big deal. Cam planned this before preseason started. Green the 1st half of game one, Lemon the first half of game 2

North_Coast
08-14-2007, 07:48 AM
There is an open QB competition and Green and Cleo are "Co-Starters". No decision has been made about who the opening day starter will be. :rolleyes:

I just put my thoughts together of Finheaven so I'll just copy and past here-

You know the question I have? Who is benefiting from this "We don't have a starter yet BS?

I mean seriously. The majority of the media never bought it, ditto with the fans..... And in the end neither matter anyway. Nor should they for that matter. As much as I have opinions and wish Cleo was being given a legit shot Cam knows more about QB's then I probably ever will so if he feels Green is the guy then fine, he's the coach and its his call.

So if the media and the fans don't matter then we are left with the team right? So how is our team benefiting from this charade? Green isn't being given as many reps with the first team as he would if we ended the debate and gave him the keys and Cleo is getting strung along on the hope of a job that he doesn't have a shot at unless Green gets hurt....

The receivers, backs, and offensive line aren't getting as many reps with the opening day starter either. So I don't see how the delay is helping them any in terms of developing timing and getting used to how Green moves in the pocket.

Regardless of media or fan expectations I'm just not sure how its helping the Miami Dolphins to pretend like Cleo is the "Co Starter" right now. And at the end of the day that's what matters. The only thing I can think of is that our staff doesn't think Green will last the season and even though they know he will start day one they want everyone to have lots of reps with Cleo because they feel there is a good chance he will play at some point this year due to injury.

Am I completely misreading this whole thing?

I think that Miami could get the backups plenty of reps without a "pretend" competition.

I think the real reason that there's this "competition" is because, according to several TC observers, Green hasn't looked any better in practice than he did in the game, and the issues aren't "timing" with receivers, etc, but the ones that plagued Green in KC last season, most importantly: he seems to have lost the ability to throw accurate passes with "zip" on them. I think that there are several posters on FinHeaven who saw the game also mentioned Green's inability to get rid of the ball quicky. "Deer in the headlights" seems a common phrase used to describe Green's performance.

So, yeah, I think you are right. I think the Miami staff is hoping against hope that Green can get it together, but planning for a major disaster at QB, possibly sooner than later.

Goobylal
08-14-2007, 08:54 AM
If Green starts the next game, it's a clear indication that they want him to be the starter, "open competition" or not. However with another poor performance, they might be forced to go with Lemon, who is still wholly unproven.

Last year the Bills said there was an open compeition at QB and most thought it was a joke because it seemed that they'd obviously want JP to win it. Then Holcomb started the first pre-season game. And after the season, Fairchild said that they came in believing that JP wasn't the guy to lead them, but he proved them wrong.

FinFaninBuffalo
08-14-2007, 09:04 AM
haha!you usually pour lemon to take the stinch from seasfood. Let's see if this will work. The smell might be too much.

You must be eating some bad seafood.

justasportsfan
08-14-2007, 09:06 AM
You must be eating some bad seafood.

grilled dolphin. :puke:

Static
08-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Who ever gives us the best shot to win is who i support.

dolphan117
08-14-2007, 11:43 AM
Way to make this seem like a big deal. Cam planned this before preseason started. Green the 1st half of game one, Lemon the first half of game 2Actually LT Cam specifically said that will not happen. Lemon will NOT play the entire first half the way Green did. Its starting to sound like Cleo and Green may both log some time in the first half but Cam still hasn't said how much each guy will play.

dolphan117
08-14-2007, 11:51 AM
I think that Miami could get the backups plenty of reps without a "pretend" competition.

I think the real reason that there's this "competition" is because, according to several TC observers, Green hasn't looked any better in practice than he did in the game, and the issues aren't "timing" with receivers, etc, but the ones that plagued Green in KC last season, most importantly: he seems to have lost the ability to throw accurate passes with "zip" on them. I think that there are several posters on FinHeaven who saw the game also mentioned Green's inability to get rid of the ball quicky. "Deer in the headlights" seems a common phrase used to describe Green's performance.

So, yeah, I think you are right. I think the Miami staff is hoping against hope that Green can get it together, but planning for a major disaster at QB, possibly sooner than later.The "deer in the headlights thing doesn't bother me so much because Cam has said they called plays where they knew Green was going to get stuck with the football just to see how he would respond. Combine that with the way the offensive line was blocking and it probably wasn't going to look all that good. He still didn't have a very good game but it doesn't scare me too much.

What does concern me is the other thing you brought up, zip on his passes and accuracy. Especially deep accuracy. This from today's practice blog.

Well, that didn’t last for long: Green is well behind Ted Ginn Jr. on a deep sideline route and CB Michael Lehan picks it off. Green’s accuracy on throws beyond 18, 20 yards continues to be hit or miss.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/miamidolphins/entries/2007/08/14/0814_morning_session.html

That's starting to bother me. Its also worth pointing out that in the last pre-season game the pick he threw was on a deep out where the ball just had no zip. Hagen still should have caught it so the pick wasn't entirely Green fault but at the NFL level if a QB cant throw that deep out with steam there is going to be trouble if the offense keeps trying to run it.

Meathead
08-14-2007, 12:35 PM
oh so close to the lemon-peelle connection

HHURRICANE
08-14-2007, 04:04 PM
Way to make this seem like a big deal. Cam planned this before preseason started. Green the 1st half of game one, Lemon the first half of game 2

Funny thing was that I found this out on Fin Haven. It was a pretty big deal over there.

You need to chill.

finfan34
08-14-2007, 07:56 PM
itf funny you make fun of our backup QB's name, when your starting QB has the word LOSS in his name

justasportsfan
08-14-2007, 08:00 PM
when your starting QB has the word LOSS in his name who happens to own the fins :D

Goobylal
08-14-2007, 08:40 PM
No he doesn't. It's "Los" as in "the," as in "the man."

:busted:

dolphan117
08-14-2007, 09:58 PM
oh so close to the lemon-peelle connection:rofl: I hadnt even thought of that.

Bling
08-15-2007, 07:46 PM
who happens to own the fins :D

2-1.. :yawn:

Ironically, his best game was a loss, and his worst game was a win.

Goobylal
08-15-2007, 07:56 PM
His best game was the 2nd one this past year. He threw for 3 TD's, no INT's, 200 yards and 68.4%. As for the 2005 game, blame the defense for blowing a 20 point lead in the 4th quarter, thanks in large part to idiot Mularkey calling WAY too many pass plays and not enough run plays.