PDA

View Full Version : Three Things

User Manuel
08-13-2007, 03:18 PM
1) Wasn't it a preseason game?

2) We won, right?

3) In the Levy-Kelly era we generally looked like the worst team in football in the preseason. Shouldn't everyone take a big breath and see how we do against the Bronco's before deeming anyone terrible?

Maybe I am just old fashioned.:sigh:

P.s. Freddie Jackson, the next Bills Pre-season Pro-Bowler

OpIv37
08-13-2007, 03:22 PM
in the levy-kelly era, the starters didn't play like absolute ****.

When we play the Broncos, it's too late to make changes. It's borderline too late as it is.

Wys Guy
08-13-2007, 03:23 PM
I wouldn't say "old fashioned" per se, but well out of context would be accurate. If we were the '90s era Bills, fine. But we're far from that. If we were last year's champs, or AFC champs, or heck, even playoff teams, then it might be different.

But we were one of the worst if not the worst overall team in football fundamentals last season, and seemingly none of the "big hoorah" items for the Ivy League Dynamic Duo seem to have produced much.

Sure, it was one preseason game. But is Langston Walker all of a sudden not going to look like a teetering dope in week 1? If not, then why not? Simply issueing the statement that it was a preseason game and then indirectly contrasting this team with one of the greatest to ever play the game is not a reason as to why that might happen.

Dockery was good, but certainly far from great. Otherwise we had all the same flaws that we had last season. All of them.

Wys Guy
08-13-2007, 03:24 PM
And btw, we didn't "win" against the first team. So if there's a strike shortened season, using that logic, we may in fact have a chance with scabs. Otherwise, don't hold your breath. : ]

Buckets
08-13-2007, 03:27 PM
And btw, we didn't "win" against the first team. So if there's a strike shortened season, using that logic, we may in fact have a chance with scabs. Otherwise, don't hold your breath. : ]

Likewise we didn't win with the first team.

AndreReed83
08-13-2007, 03:51 PM
I do think there have been some overreactions about one game so far, since there are 3 games to improve with and we were playing a team that had already played a preseason game.

The 1st team offense looked like a team playing it's first game of the year. I think they'll look much smoother in the 3rd preseason game when the 1st team generally sees the most time. However, concerns about how the 1st team looked in the Saints game is legitimate, I think. No one was in synch.

The 1st team defense was just awful. To me, it didn't even look like an out of synch thing, but more like an our scheme sucks and our players do to, thing. Every play was exploited and the defenders did nothing to offset it. However, the big plays at the right time was something to be optimistic about and is something the defense can build off.

Special teams was a smashing success, obviously. Blocked kick, I thought they got close at blocking another field goal and an extra point try. Moorman was classic. Lindell had that beautiful 54 yarder. Kick coverage was good. Definitely nice knowing that the Bills special teams is going to be better than the opponents special teams more often than not. They're going to need it to be top notch all season if they expect to contend for a playoff spot this upcoming season.

As far as my outlook for the season:

I think the offense gels and the running game gets going more than last season. The defense plays below average most games, but grows throughout the season. Special teams is stellar. Probably a 7-9 or 8-8 season.

If the offense really starts running on all cylinders early or the defense learns to make these big plays more than when they absolutely have to, I can see a 9-7 or 10-6 team.

On the otherhand, if the offense gets rolling slowly or the big plays the defense was making against the Saints was just a fluke, it could be a long season of 4 wins or less.

In the end, just beat the Dolphins twice and I'll be happy.

jdbillsfan
08-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Sure, it was one preseason game. But is Langston Walker all of a sudden not going to look like a teetering dope in week 1? If not, then why not? Simply issueing the statement that it was a preseason game and then indirectly contrasting this team with one of the greatest to ever play the game is not a reason as to why that might happen.

Dockery was good, but certainly far from great. Otherwise we had all the same flaws that we had last season. All of them.

I didn't see any problems with Langston Walker. I thought he played well.

Earthquake Enyart
08-13-2007, 04:55 PM
It's not exactly like we're the deepest team in the NFL.

I have no problem with how little starters played. I hope they play less in game 2.

EDS
08-13-2007, 05:35 PM
3) In the Levy-Kelly era we generally looked like the worst team in football in the preseason. Shouldn't everyone take a big breath and see how we do against the Bronco's before deeming anyone terrible?

I agree that the first pre-season game doesn't mean a ton but the Kelly-era Bills were a veteran team with a largely established depth chart that everyone knew would turn up the gas once the regular season started. The 2007 Bills are a different animal - a young team with alot of guys still fighting for position.