PDA

View Full Version : Changes to the O-line

billsburgh
08-14-2007, 12:16 AM
Veteran Jason Whittle took almost all the snaps with the first unit at right guard as Preston saw just a few reps at the position all night. Preston spent almost the whole practice at center, but for the first time he was getting those center reps with the first team in place of Melvin Fowler who rotated out after taking the first snap or two of a series several times.the rest of the story and other notes from practice.... (http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=5063)
I like the idea of giving Preston a chance at starting Center in place of Fowler who seemed to be the weak link on the line against the Saints. It's all about getting the best 5 out there.

PECKERWOOD
08-14-2007, 12:23 AM
Damn that is one position we could use some help at.

Michael82
08-14-2007, 12:56 AM
I hate our RG situation. I want both Butler and Merz to get a shot.

billsburgh
08-14-2007, 01:44 AM
I hate our RG situation. I want both Butler and Merz to get a shot.
I would like to see what Butler could do too, if only he could get his ass back on the field. What do you hate about the situation? Is it that neither one are any good?

G. Host
08-14-2007, 04:36 AM
Butler is currently injured. Never have been impressed by Merz.

Night Train
08-14-2007, 05:58 AM
Fowler is just 10-15 lbs. too small. Technique wise, he's very good but gets overpowered on many plays.

I'll reserve any positives on Preston at C before I see more. He's the ultimate " Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane " football player.

mybills
08-14-2007, 07:04 AM
Speaking of center, who snapped that one to JP causing him to make that one handed catch?

Goobylal
08-14-2007, 07:30 AM
Fowler.

JoeMama
08-14-2007, 07:47 AM
Great news.

I've wanted to see Duke Preston return to his natural position for a while now.

Plus, he's 326lbs ahoof.

I like big boys anchoring the middle of the line.

I was never fond of Melvin Fowler; I think it's a wise move to relegate him to backup.

And I also like the idea of a guy named "Duke" as the centerpiece of the o-line.

Good aesthetics.

bigbub2352
08-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Thank God, anything is better than Fowler is is horrible at center, and at shot gun snaps, he is to weak to handle the bull rush, and he is suspect in pass blocking as well, it will be nice to see Preston were he is natural at C, Whittle wont hurt us at RG, but i still think the dark horse is Butler, once he is healthy (if ever), i think he will start there

mysticsoto
08-14-2007, 08:33 AM
I can't say I've really been impressed with Preston much. Maybe he will be better at Center, but if Butler were healthy, I'd be screaming for them to give him the RG job!!!

TigerJ
08-14-2007, 08:41 AM
Fowler is just 10-15 lbs. too small. Technique wise, he's very good but gets overpowered on many plays.

I'll reserve any positives on Preston at C before I see more. He's the ultimate " Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane " football player.

There is a good number of centers in the league who are smaller than Fowler. For some reason, despite his alleged solid technique, he can't get leverage.

HHURRICANE
08-14-2007, 08:43 AM
The O-line is one of the keys to our success. It was well publicized that McNalley wanted the starting line-up together before the first pre-season game. This doesn't sound like good news.

So who's the weak link? Fowler or Preston?

madness
08-14-2007, 08:47 AM
The O-line is one of the keys to our success. It was well publicized that McNalley wanted the starting line-up together before the first pre-season game. This doesn't sound like good news.

So who's the weak link? Fowler or Preston?

Maybe both. Fowler @ center and Preston @ RG.

Preston's natural position is center so he may be a better option then Fowler there. I think that's what the staff wants to find out. Whittle will man the RG position until Butler comes back and puts up a fight.

Fowler is a solid center for his size and plays with great leverage but that means squat in the running game. Trying out Preston is just another reason that proves this staff is committed to pounding the rock. I think Fowler showed his limitations Friday night every time they tried running up the middle.

Michael82
08-14-2007, 09:26 AM
I would like to see what Butler could do too, if only he could get his ass back on the field. What do you hate about the situation? Is it that neither one are any good?
yup, it's that both Whittle and Preston at RG make me sick. Neither of them have done anything to take over the spot. :ill:

HHURRICANE
08-14-2007, 09:29 AM
yup, it's that both Whittle and Preston at RG make me sick. Neither of them have done anything to take over the spot. :ill:

You've had a chance to watch them. What do you think of Preston at center?

Wasn't Preston a third round pick? How long does it take to crack the starting line-up? Another nice draft choice by TD.

Michael82
08-14-2007, 09:33 AM

Wasn't Preston a third round pick? How long does it take to crack the starting line-up? Another nice draft choice by TD.
I always liked Duke Preston when he played center. He's good at snaps, and doesn't throw the 10 feet in the air, unlike Fowler. I think that he might actually do much better there. Afterall, it was his natural position in college and I bet he prefers it.

billsburgh
08-14-2007, 09:33 AM

this guy was hand picked by McNally

Mudflap1
08-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Fowler AND Preston both sucked the other night...

Jon

ZacGriffi~82
08-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Butler is the man for the job, he just needs to get healthy.

jamze132
08-14-2007, 02:03 PM
I would like to see Preston at Center for 3/4 quarters Friday night.

Michael82
08-14-2007, 05:05 PM
I would like to see Preston at Center for 3/4 quarters Friday night.
You might get your wish because Fowler left the field at the beginning practice and came back, but was walking with a limp for rest of the day.

ZacGriffi~82
08-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Looks like Preston will get a lot of time at center, but unfortunately Brad Butler is a no go.