PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Fame owner?

G. Host
08-14-2007, 06:09 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/140693.html

Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly entertained fans with a question-and-answer session before practice Monday, giving him a forum for this little tidbit: He’s interested in becoming partowner of the Bills if something happened to founder Ralph C. Wilson Jr.

“Yeah, I would love the opportunity when it does come up, but as long as he’s still around and he can do it, God bless him,” Kelly said. “I’m behind him 100 percent. If it comes to a point that he feels it’s slipping a little bit and he might want to do something, I would love to be the first one in line.”

Kelly and ex-Bills passer Jack Kemp have spoken several times about being included in an ownership group that would keep the Bills in Orchard Park. Both would most likely be minority owners. Under league rules, a team’s majority owner must control 35 percent of the team. It equates to an investment of about $200 million.

And Thuman is moving back to Buffalo. Sounds like old gang is getting back together. I wonder how much Marv has saved in his pension plan since he has not been using it.

Typ0
08-14-2007, 06:21 AM
it's been slipping for a while now. Would be nice to see this happen but if Ralph doesn't sell and waits for his estate to throw it to the highest bidder there is going to be a boatload of goodwill thrown at it making a local winning offer unlikely.

THATHURMANATOR
08-14-2007, 08:00 AM
I am 100% certain the Bills will stay in Buffalo.

RockStar36
08-14-2007, 08:03 AM
That would be a perfect scenario.

jpdex12
08-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Good god, this would be our dream come true! To have prior Bill's players as owners of the team...

Especially Jimbo and company. There couldn't be a better scenario IMO. Jack Kemp knows plenty of papered up people that could offer the cash to buy this thing with his political ties. Kelly, Kemp and Golisano? Might just be a possibility. There is the risk though of this going out to the highest bidder and losing our grip to some outside party with more cash power. You do have to think about the committee that approves the sale of an entity like this and I would have to say that a team of people like Kelly, Kemp and the cash backing of Golisano (a local well known member of the community that already owns the Sabres) would be an ideal group of individuals that could strengthen the Bill's organization, the area of Buffalo and its surrounding areas and keep the team in Western NY for a long long time.

This is a premature discussion that Kelly has started by mentioning his interest but you know how powerful the voice of the fans is. It's up to us fans to take it from here and keep up the talks of this arrangement. You know how strong our voices can be when combined with the media on issues like this.

I would feel much better if Wilson would try to structure an arrangement before he croaks. Without him attempting to do this before he passes it makes me wonder why he doesn't. If he cares so much about his legacy with the NFL and the Buffalo Bills I would think that he would do whatever he could to make sure that the team stays in Buffalo, but maybe he is thinking about the biggest return he can get to pass along to his family after his passing. How much friggin money does one family need? Why not create longer lasting immortality for yourself by ensuring that the team that you founded stays here for a long time?

We can only hope that something like this happens for us fans. Let's start putting the pressure on him! Sell it to the old "glory days gang" before you pass!

HHURRICANE
08-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Guys, I love the idea of Jim, Jack, and Thruman partcicpating in an ownership group, but unless they have somebody with some super deep pockets helping this ain't happening.

Between the three of them they might be able to come up with 30 Million dollars which wouldn't even get them to the table unless the majority owner really liked the three of them.

jpdex12
08-14-2007, 09:23 AM
Guys, I love the idea of Jim, Jack, and Thruman partcicpating in an ownership group, but unless they have somebody with some super deep pockets helping this ain't happening.

Between the three of them they might be able to come up with 30 Million dollars which wouldn't even get them to the table unless the majority owner really liked the three of them.

So true this is, but it would be the greatest idea that I have heard thus far as far as putting a group of owners together with the power and know how to run a football organization with a winning mentality. As you mention the obvious is that they would need a majority owner that has the deep pockets to buy the team and as I said, I'm sure that Jack Kemp knows some potential suitors through his political ties. Being a majority owner they would have the power of interest ownership to make the final decisions about the team and the support of minority owners that have the knowledge of how to organize a successful football team and attract those fans that have fallen by the wayside from the 1990's glory days. It would instantly improve our fan base IMO and with a minority owner like Kemp with his political ties we would have direct lines of communication with other politicians in the state and DC to help the Bills survive in WNY and in the NFL.

The biggest hurdle is putting pressure on Ralph to consider an arrangement for his team to be passed along to. This is the only thing that pisses me off about our owner right now. What is wrong with him trying to arrange a succesor for his team after his passing? Why wouldn't he want to keep them in Buffalo other than to have a potential out of state buyer with big bucks buy the team and it would maximize the return to the rest of his family from the sale of the team?

Anyone know of any other teams that have prior players as owners?

camelcowboy
08-14-2007, 07:56 PM

Between the three of them they might be able to come up with 30 Million dollars which wouldn't even get them to the table unless the majority owner really liked the three of them. Jim, Jack, Thurman minority owners with thomas galisano as the big hitter.

SABURZFAN
08-14-2007, 11:01 PM
if i ever come across the kind of money to buy the Bills,i'll move them to Vegas. :up:

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-15-2007, 06:52 AM

I get what you are saying, but I think those three would have enough star power to find some mighty wealthy folks to invest in their group.