PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts From an Eternal Optimist

jmb1099
08-14-2007, 08:52 AM
I've only been on the Zone a short while and for the most part it is a pleasure to be here.
But in the short while I've been here I have been able to pick up on a few things through simple observation as I'm sure most of you have also been able to do.

Let's be honest about something...we've been a losing team for quite some time now. Let's be honest about something else...it is unpleasant to be on the losing side of the ball.
But because we've all been in this "losing mindset" for so long it causes us to think some pretty irrational things from time to time, some overly optimistic and some overly pessimistic. We're either great or we suck, there is no middle ground and anyone in the opposing mindset becomes a causality of "fan war".

To be honest I was not real impressed with what the first team did against the saints and this coming from an eternal optimist. But the entire thing needs to be kept in proper perspective: it was the first preseason game and it did resemble pretty much every preseason game we had when Levy was coach. Still we need to improve and I don't know as if anyone here thinks otherwise.
But again we've been losing for so long that its hard for some to be optimistic about anything. So we grow impatient (although the argument could be made that we have been plenty patient) and what happens is we as fans want a superbowl right now and nothing else will satisfy. What develops from this thinking is Dan Snyder mentality. We need to sign as many big name, high-payroll players as we can and then we'll have our success. Now we know from our own recent history that this does not work, but it also hasn't worked for Dan Snyder. Singing TO didn't bring Philly or Dallas a championship, Edgerin James didn't make the Cardinals contenders.
This isn't to say that we shouldn't bring in a big name talent if the opportunity and price are right, but it is quite simply impossible to fill every position of need with a big money player and doing so still holds no guarantee.
While the Bills have had many needs over the past few seasons, one could make a solid argument that the largest area of need has been stability. How many different coach's and systems have we seen? How many different philosophy's? It wasn't long ago that we were so undisciplined that we were watching movies and eating cheesburgers for practice.
So one preseason game down and again I state we need to get better. But, and its been said a few times now, we had one enforced penalty. We went from eating cheeseburgers and watching movies, from our star players spitting on opposing players, to having one enforced penalty in our first preseason game. If this trend continues I just may have found my justification for being an eternal optimist. I guess more patience are in order.

justasportsfan
08-14-2007, 09:01 AM
Some people are still living in the past forgetting the now. Although the last 7 years have lead to frustraion and impatience, this FO was not the same FO then.

Right now, this FO has lived up, surpassed , done better than other teams in their first year of rebuild. Let's go by what the results on the field from last year.

Offseason moves or lack of it have yet to bare any results so let's just sit back and see if they know what they're doing instead of insisting they are wrong.

raphael120
08-14-2007, 10:25 AM
The FO looks the same to me, minus Marv. We still have some leftover flunkies from the TD era.

Ralph Wilson is still the shot caller in the end. He's who hires the GMs, he is who has final say in head coaches. So far, his track record has stunk. He doesn't have too much of a track left, either.

justasportsfan
08-14-2007, 10:37 AM
The FO looks the same to me, minus Marv. We still have some leftover flunkies from the TD era.

So what? It's not being ran like TD. If you can't see the obvious changes, nothing I can do.

raphael120
08-14-2007, 10:45 AM
I don't care what FO changes they make if it doesn't add more W's in the win column.

justasportsfan
08-14-2007, 10:47 AM
if it doesn't add more W's in the win column.
you don't know that yet . If you're going by the 1st year, it's more than everyone expected.

raphael120
08-14-2007, 10:52 AM
you don't know that yet . If you're going by the 1st year, it's more than everyone expected.

No I don't know that yet...but we soon will. They aren't going to exceed this years expectations with another 7-9 season.

justasportsfan
08-14-2007, 10:57 AM
No I don't know that yet...but we soon will. They aren't going to exceed this years expectations with another 7-9 season.

you bought the same crystal ball as OP?

Wally The Barber
08-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Many fans believe they need a team like the Superbowl Bills to win the Superbowl and they hold that team as an example of what the Bills need to fix next to to reach that level.
Free agency has changed the game and this team is closer to the Superbowl then most fans realize!

raphael120
08-14-2007, 11:43 AM
you bought the same crystal ball as OP?

No im just sayin, whether for better or for worse, we'll see if we improve. I didnt give a prediction, so gear down sparky.

justasportsfan
08-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Many fans believe they need a team like the Superbowl Bills to win the Superbowl and they hold that team as an example of what the Bills need to fix next to to reach that level. I agree completely. That sb team was built via the draft. Problem is, it takes time and some fans are too impatient for it to unfold. I can't blame them because I too am tired of losing but I can't expect Marv and co. to make it happen overnight.