Could Ralph be trying to pocket some of the extra cap money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Could Ralph be trying to pocket some of the extra cap money?

Clumpy do you know where we are at? I'm thinking we still have an extra 10-12 million to spend this year.

Is anybody going to be pissed if we find out that came in at 98 million instead of 108 Million?
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Re: Could Ralph be trying to pocket some of the extra cap money?

I would be upset but they spoke of "cash to cap".

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Mudflap1
      Next Question!
      • Nov 2004

Of course he is.

There is an article in Forbes magazine that was published last fall that showed that the Bills were in the middle of the pack of the NFL in terms of EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization for those who want to know -- the stat most companies are compared at in the finance world). This means Ralph, at the end of the day, is still making pretty decent money even though the Bills are an "itty bitty small market team trying to make it." He keeps the expenses low (specificially the liabilities, debt -- both to players and on the franchise) and then makes his money off of the revenue sharing.

I'll try to find the article. I brought it up before but everyone ignored it. The board was more interested in fighting with Pat Moran about who was a bigger homer or realist or something.

Jon

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

Not if they use the philosophy each year and have 20-30 milllion dollars of space to spend.
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Mudflap1
          Next Question!
          • Nov 2004

Here's 2004. I'll try to find a sooner one. Operating Income = EBITDA. That's a $28.5MM EBITDA in 2004. Poor act my ass.

Team Current Value1 ($mil) 1-Yr Value Change (%) Debt/Value3 (%) Revenues ($mil) Operating Income4($mil)
          1Washington Redskins 1,104162024569.6
          2Dallas Cowboys 92381420537.5
          3Houston Texans 905143620155.5
          4New England Patriots 861145419130.5
          5Philadelphia Eagles 833354019844.3
          6Denver Broncos 815192518342.8
          7Cleveland Browns 798151318359.0
          8Chicago Bears 785262517533.1
          9Tampa Bay Buccaneers 779161817525.0
          10Baltimore Ravens 776203517234.8
          11Miami Dolphins 765202617032.1
          12Carolina Panthers 760181616917.3
          13Green Bay Packers 75624416823.4
          14Detroit Lions 747182916825.1
          15Tennessee Titans 736191716422.2
          16Pittsburgh Steelers 717181415935.3
          17Seattle Seahawks 71217161586.0
          18Kansas City Chiefs 709181815924.0
          19St Louis Rams 708181415721.8
          20New York Giants 69221915420.2
          21Jacksonville Jaguars 688211815316.6
          22New York Jets 685211515226.5
          23Cincinnati Bengals 67520115014.2
          24Buffalo Bills 637131115228.5
          25San Francisco 49ers 636121615129.4

Comment

• HHURRICANE
            • Mar 2005

Ohh, believe me I know he's making money.

What I'm asking is that even with "cash to cap" it still looks like we have some money to spend.

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

He's a decent business man but he sucks when it comes to football.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mudflap1
                Next Question!
                • Nov 2004

Here's 2006. 13th in the NFL in Operating Income/EBITDA. Check out how low his debt to value ratio is, and Buffalo is 25th in the NFL in value. He's cutting corners with the cap. "Cash to cap" is nothing more than Ralph trying to make the franchise a debt-free company by the time he passes away, that way whenever someone sells the company, it's pure profit. That's it. It's not "a better way" to build a winning football team -- doesn't have anything to do with it.

RankTeamCurrent Value ($mil)1-Yr Value Change (%)Debt/Value (%)Revenue ($mil)Operating Income ($mil)
                1 Washington Redskins1,423 13 17 303 108.4
                4 Houston Texans1,043 10 29 222 57.6
                8 Tampa Bay Buccaneers955 9 15 203 56.9
                5 Philadelphia Eagles1,024 8 32 218 54.2
                10 Chicago Bears945 9 20 201 51.5
                17 Tennessee Titans886 6 14 189 48.3
                7 Cleveland Browns970 9 10 206 47.1
                2 New England Patriots1,176 13 26 250 43.6
                3 Dallas Cowboys1,173 10 17 235 37.1
                12 Miami Dolphins912 7 27 194 33.4
                20 St Louis Rams841 11 5 179 33.2
                19 New York Jets876 18 11 179 33.1
                25 Buffalo Bills756 7 9 176 31.2
                14 Kansas City Chiefs894 17 15 186 28.2
                9 Baltimore Ravens946 9 29 201 27.8
                6 Denver Broncos975 7 21 207 26.9

Comment

• G. Host
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                  Clumpy do you know where we are at? I'm thinking we still have an extra 10-12 million to spend this year.

Is anybody going to be pissed if we find out that came in at 98 million instead of 108 Million?
                  Sounds like bizare consipiracy theory. Any hints on who killed JFK?

Comment

• Goobylal
                    • Jan 2004

Ralph made a profit in the single digits prior to the new CBA, thanks in large part to no debt load from the team or stadium. With the new CBA that has a salary cap based on all revenue and not just shared, the profits will drop markedly, if not become losses, unless he either receives revenue sharing to make up the difference compared to the old CBA, or imposes the "cash to cap" policy.

Comment

• Mudflap1
                      Next Question!
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Goobylal
                      Ralph made a profit in the single digits prior to the new CBA, thanks in large part to no debt load from the team or stadium.
                      Did you just totally ignore the financials that I posted or what? His EBITDA was $31.2MM last year. And don't say "well, after taxes..." that's finance 101, of course you make your profits look a lot lighter on paper so you don't have to pay as much taxes. You go off of Operating Income/EBITDA, and he's in the top 1/2 of the league in that regard.

With the new CBA that has a salary cap based on all revenue and not just shared, the profits will drop markedly, if not become losses, unless he either receives revenue sharing to make up the difference compared to the old CBA, or imposes the "cash to cap" policy.
                      We'll see when Forbes runs their annual NFL team valuations this fall, won't we?

Again, "cash to cap" is a method to take his already top 5 lowest debt in the league rating, and reduce it to almost nil so the Buffalo Bills are a debt free corporation. It has nothing to do with Ralph wanting to allocate money differently so that it leads to a better winning formula on the football field. It's all about money.

Jon

Comment

• Goobylal
                        • Jan 2004

The above was before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization. And teams use all sort of creative accounting methods from year-to-year and Forbes goes off of those. I'm sure Enron had pretty numbers as well until the end.

Comment

• Mudflap1
                          Next Question!
                          • Nov 2004

The above was before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization. And teams use all sort of creative accounting methods from year-to-year and Forbes goes off of those. I'm sure Enron had pretty numbers as well until the end.
                          C'mon, you can't be serious? All companies are measured by their EBITDA/Operating Income numbers because it's very easy to manipulate the depreciation, amoritization, and accrued interest to one's liking for the net profit. No financial experts go off of net profit to measure a company's viability or financial success.

Enron had pretty numbers because they had hundreds of millions of dollars of off-balance sheet financing that wasn't allocated as debt on its balance sheet, giving the allusion its assets were stronger compared to its liabilities than they really were. If they were a private company, no one would have cared. However, they were a public company, so their fudged numbers were falsely manipulating their investors to think their stock was a lot more valuable than it was. There is no accounting correlation to Enron and the NFL, and specifically the Buffalo Bills.

Look, all I'm saying is Ralph is out for the money. Ralph is making money, he has been making money, he's a smart businessman that way, and that's fine. But I'm also saying (and we'll see in November when Forbes runs its annual NFL valuation article), that "cash to cap" is not about making the Bills a better football team, it's about making his company even less indebted than it already is. And I assure you of this -- the operating income will be there again as well.

Jon

Comment

• Goobylal
                            • Jan 2004

No doubt the operating income will be there. That's the reason why Ralph instituted the "cash to cap" policy, specifically AFTER the new CBA called for the salary cap to be based on ALL revenue and not just shared ones.

The thing is, Ralph's been spending close to the cap every year up until the past 2, i.e. after the new CBA. And he's doles-out tons of bonus money. So no one can accuse him of pocketing anything prior to the past 2 years. Moreover, he's never gouged the fans WRT game/day prices OR asked for a new tax-payer paid stadium, just upgrades to the existing stadium that the county owns.

The fact is that Ralph is probably the poorest of the NFL owners and in an area in which he can't raise prices substantially without alienating the fan base. Yet he can't also predict the future and see how much money he'll be making, so to keep the franchise viable and IN Buffalo, he has to instititute a policy. If it's that policy that KEEPS them in Buffalo, I'm not going to cry "why can't we spend it all!"

Besides, buying loads of (expensive) players doesn't guarantee you anything. Look at the Redskins for proof of that.

Comment

• Mudflap1
                              Next Question!
                              • Nov 2004

No doubt the operating income will be there. That's the reason why Ralph instituted the "cash to cap" policy, specifically AFTER the new CBA called for the salary cap to be based on ALL revenue and not just shared ones.

The thing is, Ralph's been spending close to the cap every year up until the past 2, i.e. after the new CBA. And he's doles-out tons of bonus money. So no one can accuse him of pocketing anything prior to the past 2 years. Moreover, he's never gouged the fans WRT game/day prices OR asked for a new tax-payer paid stadium, just upgrades to the existing stadium that the county owns.

The fact is that Ralph is probably the poorest of the NFL owners and in an area in which he can't raise prices substantially without alienating the fan base. Yet he can't also predict the future and see how much money he'll be making, so to keep the franchise viable and IN Buffalo, he has to instititute a policy. If it's that policy that KEEPS them in Buffalo, I'm not going to cry "why can't we spend it all!"

Besides, buying loads of (expensive) players doesn't guarantee you anything. Look at the Redskins for proof of that.
                              This post makes some sense and are valid points.

I will disagree with one point though... we don't know what Ralph really nets out, and we also don't know what his balance sheet looks like (and we probably never will). He might have $200 million cash on the balance sheet with basically no debt, with little depreciation/amoritization costs for all we know.

I mean, it's not really a secret that an NFL team is a big tax shelter for all of these owners. You think Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones show a big net profit? They probably show a loss at the end of the day.

Yes, Buffalo is a small market, yes the ticket prices are pretty reasonable in comparison to the rest of the league, etc. etc. All of these points are true. I just don't buy that Ralph is in THAT bad a shape though. And I seriously doubt he is the poorest of NFL owners. The numbers don't lie. He's been making a pretty good profit the last several years. We'll see what happens this year.

Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X