PDA

View Full Version : Redskins O-Line Stuggling to Replace Dockery

raphael120
08-14-2007, 10:50 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2007-08-13-3418649568_x.htm

ASHBURN, Va. — The left side of the Redskins' offensive line had a different look during the final few snaps of Monday's practice, a sign the Todd Wade experiment might be in danger.

I guess you can read some sort of kudos to Dockery if they're trying to replace him and failing.

justasportsfan
08-14-2007, 10:56 AM
LOndon Fletcher Baker 6 tackles

POz- 9 tac 1 sack.

madness
08-14-2007, 10:58 AM

POz- 9 tac 1 sack.

Who? Isn't that the guy who used to play for the Rams? :snicker:

JoeMama
08-14-2007, 11:03 AM
This might as well be a punchline.

When asked what to do in order to improve the offensive line...

"I'm going to play (Mike) Pucillo probably at left guard," Bugel said, "and give us a chance to look at him."

NorthCarBills
08-14-2007, 11:15 AM
In an effort to increase competition on the Redskins' O-Line, the availability of veteran Jerry Ostroski is being investigated.

Mad Bomber
08-14-2007, 11:21 AM

"I'm going to play (Mike) Pucillo probably at left guard," Bugel said, "and give us a chance to look at him."
Wow, they are in dire straits. Pucillo is the offensive equivalent of Tim Anderson.

mysticsoto
08-14-2007, 11:39 AM

POz- 9 tac 1 sack.

But apparently our D is going to suck anyway b'cse he isn't a veteran leader on our team - nevermind that we replaced a slow, aging LB with a fast, hard hitting one...

duhbilz
08-14-2007, 12:05 PM

POz- 9 tac 1 sack.

Fletch got his with the first team against first team, Poz with the 2nd and 3rd. Lets not over exaggerate things.

duhbilz
08-14-2007, 12:13 PM
But apparently our D is going to suck anyway b'cse he isn't a veteran leader on our team - nevermind that we replaced a slow, aging LB with a fast, hard hitting one...

It would seem only "Bill fans" have an issue with Fletch, everyone else seems to think he still can play. Why is it the fans here always seem to think when a player leaves he was replaced with someone better? It isn't always the case. While I think Posluszny will be a very good NFL LB, I happen to think he's a couple of years from being what Fletch is now.

North_Coast
08-14-2007, 12:28 PM
It would seem only "Bill fans" have an issue with Fletch, everyone else seems to think he still can play. Why is it the fans here always seem to think when a player leaves he was replaced with someone better? It isn't always the case. While I think Posluszny will be a very good NFL LB, I happen to think he's a couple of years from being what Fletch is now.

Actually, I don't think that most Bills fans have any "problem" with London Fletcher-Baker, but after you've heard every media talking head from Portland, Maine to Portland, Oregon predict for the last four or five months that the Bills' D is going to "suck so bad" because the Bills let Fetcher-Baker walk, people get defensive about it. Besides, nobody said LFB can't play. He's just not suited to the cover2!

mysticsoto
08-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Actually, I don't think that most Bills fans have any "problem" with London Fletcher-Baker, but after you've heard every media talking head from Portland, Maine to Portland, Oregon predict for the last four or five months that the Bills' D is going to "suck so bad" because the Bills let Fetcher-Baker walk, people get defensive about it. Besides, nobody said LFB can't play. He's just not suited to the cover2!

I was just about to say the exact same thing. LFB is not a fit for a cover 2 defense. Period. That's why those whining about losing him need to STFU - b'cse they clearly don't understand much at all!!!

justasportsfan
08-14-2007, 12:54 PM
Fletch got his with the first team against first team, Poz with the 2nd and 3rd. Lets not over exaggerate things.
but he's a rookie. :D

justasportsfan
08-14-2007, 12:56 PM

WRONG. We still think he can play. He just can't dominate.

Not fit for what Dick wants in a lb'er. One that can attack the backfield which Poz did when he scaked the qb. :D

For your sake , your OL better hold. Green has a target sign on his jersey. This time it won't be a 5'9" lb going full speed for a sack.

duhbilz
08-14-2007, 01:27 PM
WRONG. We still think he can play. He just can't dominate.

He sure looked dominant in his first pre-season game. As for not fitting the cover 2 he was in the top five MLB's last year, I'd say he fit very well. You have to understand what a LB does has a lot to do with what a Dline does, if the line stuglggles so does the LB, yet he still managed to have one of the best season at his position last year. Go find a LB besides maybe Urlacher and Brooks that's plays in the cover 2 and is a tremendous success. It's a very tough system, one the Bills should move away from IMO.

For your sake , your OL better hold. Green has a target sign on his jersey. This time it won't be a 5'9" lb going full speed for a sack.

What does this have to do with me?

jamze132
08-14-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote of the year!!! Stay classy DC.

justasportsfan
08-14-2007, 01:43 PM
He sure looked dominant in his first pre-season game. As for not fitting the cover 2 he was in the top five MLB's last year, I'd say he fit very well.

You have to understand what a LB does has a lot to do with what a Dline does, if the line stuglggles so does the LB, yet he still managed to have one of the best season at his position last year. Go find a LB besides maybe Urlacher and Brooks that's plays in the cover 2 and is a tremendous success. It's a very tough system, one the Bills should move away from IMO.

What does this have to do with me?
he's a persuit lb'er. He's a tackling machine but not for lossses. He isn't one that can attack the backfield. there's a difference.

duhbilz
08-14-2007, 01:52 PM
he's a persuit lb'er. He's a tackling machine but not for lossses. He isn't one that can attack the backfield. there's a difference.

If you think suddenly because the Bills added Posluszny their LB situation is settled you're crazy. It's not the talent, it's the system. While Fletch may have not been ideal for the cover 2 he sure as heck wasn't the reason the Bills D wasn't tops in the league. The cover 2 is just to tough to execute unless you're completely blessed with talent at every position on the field. It's not good for run defense cause it calls for smallish DT. That in itself hurts what the LB can and can't do. The reason Fletch would tackle so far down the field is because the runners would be hitting the line at full speed, there was no slowing them down at the LOS. It's a cumulative effect

justasportsfan
08-14-2007, 01:59 PM
If you think suddenly because the Bills added Posluszny their LB situation is settled you're crazy. It's not the talent, it's the system. While Fletch may have not been ideal for the cover 2 he sure as heck wasn't the reason the Bills D wasn't tops in the league. The cover 2 is just to tough to execute unless you're completely blessed with talent at every position on the field. It's not good for run defense cause it calls for smallish DT. That in itself hurts what the LB can and can't do. The reason Fletch would tackle so far down the field is because the runners would be hitting the line at full speed, there was no slowing them down at the LOS. It's a cumulative effect
where did I say it's settled?

See Urlacher and Fletcher and compare which ones can shed off blockers and make tackles in the backfield.

We shall see soon enough. Should be interesting.

duhbilz
08-14-2007, 02:20 PM
where did I say it's settled?

See Urlacher and Fletcher and compare which ones can shed off blockers and make tackles in the backfield.

We shall see soon enough. Should be interesting.

Please!!!!!!!Compare Urlacher to any LB. Look at the Colts LB's, they are far from Urlacher esq. yet aren't nearly as good as Fletch. Com'on man, be realistic with your thinking. The Reason the Bears D is so good is because of Urlacher, a very rare type of football player. You have to understand there are very few players in the league like Urlacher. So consider the position as a whole and understand Fletch is a very good LB. Posluszny is far from Urlacher "right now", so to expect an improvement over Fletch simply because Posluszny seems to be a better fit, is very unrealistic. The Bills will suffer from the loss of Fletch even if it doesn't make you happy. I do think Posluszny will eventually fill the position nicely and his speed will help, but he needs to prove to be a leader as well as a fast explosive LB for him to fill the position perfectly. And don't forget about health, Fletcher didn't miss a game, Posluszny will have to prove he's durable too.

justasportsfan
08-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Please!!!!!!!Compare Urlacher to any LB. Look at the Colts LB's, they are far from Urlacher esq. yet aren't nearly as good as Fletch. Com'on man, be realistic with your thinking. The Reason the Bears D is so good is because of Urlacher, a very rare type of football player. You have to understand there are very few players in the league like Urlacher. So consider the position as a whole and understand Fletch is a very good LB. Posluszny is far from Urlacher "right now", so to expect an improvement over Fletch simply because Posluszny seems to be a better fit, is very unrealistic. The Bills will suffer from the loss of Fletch even if it doesn't make you happy. I do think Posluszny will eventually fill the position nicely and his speed will help, but he needs to prove to be a leader as well as a fast explosive LB for him to fill the position perfectly. And don't forget about health, Fletcher didn't miss a game, Posluszny will have to prove he's durable too.

Nobody here denies Fletcher can still play , is a tackling machine (after the LOS) and a leader. But he's not made for this D that wants our Lb'ers to attack the backfield.

You're a finfna. You don't follow this team like we do.

duhbilz
08-14-2007, 02:25 PM
Nobody here denies Fletcher can still play , is a tackling machine (after the LOS) and a leader. But he's not made for this D that wants our Lb'ers to attack the backfield.

You're a finfna. You don't follow this team like we do.

I'm not a fin fan and you're bias.

justasportsfan
08-14-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm not a fin fan and you're bias. okay. :rolleyes:

HHURRICANE
08-14-2007, 04:28 PM
He sure looked dominant in his first pre-season game. As for not fitting the cover 2 he was in the top five MLB's last year, I'd say he fit very well. You have to understand what a LB does has a lot to do with what a Dline does, if the line stuglggles so does the LB, yet he still managed to have one of the best season at his position last year. Go find a LB besides maybe Urlacher and Brooks that's plays in the cover 2 and is a tremendous success. It's a very tough system, one the Bills should move away from IMO.

Watch the games from last year. Larry Tripplet took a lot of crap when he shouldn't have and Fletcher should have taken alot more of the blame.

Fletcher was out of position alot and caused him to get to the ball late. He should have been cut after the Titans game. He was embarrassing.

This argumnet reminds of Lawyer Milloy. Whitner came in as a rookie and played better. I have no doubt that Poz will do the same.

duhbilz
08-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Watch the games from last year. Larry Tripplet took a lot of crap when he shouldn't have and Fletcher should have taken alot more of the blame.

Fletcher was out of position alot and caused him to get to the ball late. He should have been cut after the Titans game. He was embarrassing.

This argumnet reminds of Lawyer Milloy. Whitner came in as a rookie and played better. I have no doubt that Poz will do the same.

Time will tell.

justasportsfan
08-14-2007, 05:22 PM
[QUOTE=duhbilz]Time will tell.[/QUOTE

what's your team anyways.

duhbilz
08-14-2007, 06:52 PM
[quote=duhbilz]Time will tell.[/QUOTE

what's your team anyways.

What's yours?

justasportsfan
08-14-2007, 07:53 PM
What's yours?

I have more respect for finsfans that show their color. Why are you hiding? Gotta be a jets fan.

Bling
08-14-2007, 08:14 PM
justa, you're accusing duhbilz of being a Phin fan?

duhbilz
08-14-2007, 10:31 PM
I have more respect for finsfans that show their color. Why are you hiding? Gotta be a jets fan.
Wait, I'm supposed to care who you respect? I've noticed you have issues with a lot of people.

LifetimeBillsFan
08-15-2007, 03:08 AM
LFB can still play. But, how well will he be able to play in 3 years? Even if he were a fit in the Bills Tampa 2 defense, it would not have been possible to re-sign him for less than 3 years--Washington gave him a 5 year deal. Would it have been wise for the Bills to re-sign a 32 year old LB to a 3 year contract (let alone a 5 year contract) and tie up that money in a player who might only be effective for a year or two?

Like it or not, the Bills are a rebuilding team and are rebuilding around a young core of players. At best, LFB might have been able to help that young group of players mature for a year or two, but they would have had to sign him to a contract that could be better used elsewhere. And, as with Spikes, keeping LFB would have inhibited the development of Posluzny or any other young LB they might bring in because the veteran would demand to play and his salary would dictate that he get the majority of the playing time, which would keep the younger player on the bench, robbing him of playing time and the oppportunity to improve with experience.

By shedding LBF and Spikes, the Bills are going to give Posluzny and, again, like it or not, Ellison a chance to play and develop this season so that they can join the rest of their core of young defensive players (Whitner, Simpson, Williams, McGee, Greer, Youboty, Kelsay, Schobel and, hopefully, McCargo and, maybe, Hargrove) so that the team can start to field a young, yet experienced defense that might have a chance at making the playoffs next season (expect the Bills to add a DT early in next year's draft or through free agency, along with a CB, WR and perhaps a DE, depending on who is available when they pick).

That may not help the Bills field a winning team this season, but it should be obvious by now that the team is and has been taking a long-term view of rebuilding since the end of the disastrous season of 2005. There's a reason that the Bills don't have a lot of 30-something players on their roster--it's by design, not an accident.

dplus47
08-15-2007, 12:33 PM
LFB can still play. But, how well will he be able to play in 3 years? Even if he were a fit in the Bills Tampa 2 defense, it would not have been possible to re-sign him for less than 3 years--Washington gave him a 5 year deal.

the contract stuff is a good point.

as for fletcher not fitting a cover 2, isn't that what they played when he was with the rams? wasn't lovie smith the d-coordinator? maybe i'm high, but that's what i'm thinking...

blackonyx89
08-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Their loss is our gain!!!

:bf1:

TacklingDummy
08-15-2007, 12:49 PM

I think you would be surprised when you look at Urlacher/Fletcher/Lewis stats. and where they made their tackles.

justasportsfan
08-15-2007, 12:53 PM
I think you would be surprised when you look at Urlacher/Fletcher/Lewis stats. and where they made their tackles. but they've also made plays up the field or at the LOS. Teams gameplan away from these guys. Teams run AT Fletcher.

TacklingDummy
08-15-2007, 01:09 PM
but they've also made plays up the field or at the LOS.

So did Fletcher.

When Fletcher signed with the Redskins I was going to use that arguement to bash Fletcher. After looking up the stats, can't find them now, Urlacher/Lewis/Fletcher all were very similar.

TacklingDummy
08-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Teams gameplan away from these guys. Teams run AT Fletcher.

Teams didn't necessary run at Fletcher. They ran at the Bills weak middle D-Line.
When the Bills had Pat Williams, Ted Washington, and Sam Adams other teams didn't run at the middle of the Bills defense as much.

justasportsfan
08-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Teams didn't necessary run at Fletcher. They ran at the Bills weak middle D-Line.
When the Bills had Pat Williams, Ted Washington, and Sam Adams other teams didn't run at the middle of the Bills defense as much.
eitherways, they do not gameplan like they do with either Urlacher and Lewis. You can spin it all you want. Fletcher was always solid but not dominant.

TacklingDummy
08-15-2007, 01:16 PM
eitherways, they do not gameplan like they do with either Urlacher and Lewis. You can spin it all you want. Fletcher was always solid but not dominant.

I'll agree because I never thought Fletcher was special and Im glad he is gone.

duhbilz
08-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Like I said, the Dline has a big effect on what the LB's can do. I give Urlacher a lot of credit and he desereves it, but you can't take away what Luvy Smith means to the Bears D. The Bills don't have anyone of his caliber, then angain not many teams do.

justasportsfan
08-15-2007, 01:20 PM
I'll agree because I never thought Fletcher was special and Im glad he is gone.
I would've taken Zach Thomas over Fletch....maybe.

mchurchfie
08-15-2007, 01:27 PM
As for not fitting the cover 2 he was in the top five MLB's last year,
Right, that's why teams were knocking his agents door down to sign him when he became available.:coocoo: Fletcher is overrated and washed up, you can have him. Poz already showed he has a nose for the ball and knew where the plays were going before they even got started. That's one thing that Fletch could never grasp and was one of his weaknesses. I don't think he was the sharpest knife in the rack.

mchurchfie
08-15-2007, 01:45 PM
Wait, I'm supposed to care who you respect? I've noticed you have issues with a lot of people.
Watch out, he's a troublemaker.:D

justasportsfan
08-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Watch out, he's a troublemaker.:D
:flex:

at least FTP had cojones.

duhbilz
08-15-2007, 02:08 PM
Right, that's why teams were knocking his agents door down to sign him when he became available.:coocoo: Fletcher is overrated and washed up, you can have him. Poz already showed he has a nose for the ball and knew where the plays were going before they even got started. That's one thing that Fletch could never grasp and was one of his weaknesses. I don't think he was the sharpest knife in the rack.

I'm not sure what the problem is, you affraid to admit that he was talented and the Bills lost a good player? Or are you one of those fans that believe every move made is a good move? How do you know how many teams wanted him? Are you his agent? Obviously you only see what makes you happy, if someone leaves they must suck, god knows it can't be for any other reason.

duhbilz
08-15-2007, 02:08 PM
:flex:

at least FTP had cojones.

I'm sure he knew a lot more about football then you also.

justasportsfan
08-15-2007, 02:10 PM
, you affraid to admit that he was talented and the Bills lost a good player? .
a good player who wasn't part of our future plans. Too old by the time the others develop.

duhbilz
08-15-2007, 02:27 PM
a good player who wasn't part of our future plans. Too old by the time the others develop.

I see, so it was the player and not the system or talent around him? You're saying you know for sure Fletch would have been the same had he been in a better system with more talent around him, because he just isn't a good football player anymore? Wow, I sure would love to know how someone that just isn't a good football player anymore ends up the third best overall in tkls in 2006 playing on a defense whos front 7 ranked almost last in the NFL in 06. Yep, Fletch was the problem alright. Don't get me wrong I love the addition of Posluszny, it was needed and it was the right choice, but Fletcher wasn't the problem with the D, the Dline was.

justasportsfan
08-15-2007, 02:35 PM
I see, so it was the player and not the system or talent around him? You're saying you know for sure Fletch would have been the same had he been in a better system with more talent around him, because he just isn't a good football player anymore? Wow, I sure would love to know how someone that just isn't a good football player anymore ends up the third best overall in tkls in 2006 playing on a defense whos front 7 ranked almost last in the NFL in 06. Yep, Fletch was the problem alright. Don't get me wrong I love the addition of Posluszny, it was needed and it was the right choice, but Fletcher wasn't the problem with the D, the Dline was.

I said FLetch was solid but not dominant? I admitted he was good. WTF? Haha! You're yapping.

justasportsfan
08-15-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm sure he knew a lot more about football then you also.

You sound like FTP. Are you with a different handle? He disappears, you show up . You defend Fletch like you defended Moolarkey and Bennie :scratch:

duhbilz
08-15-2007, 03:29 PM
You sound like FTP. Are you with a different handle? He disappears, you show up . You defend Fletch like you defended Moolarkey and Bennie :scratch:

You should start your own site so you can control what everyone thinks and syays, then maybe you can be happy, cause god knows you can't handle the slightest bit of anything less.

justasportsfan
08-15-2007, 03:31 PM
You should start your own site so you can control what everyone thinks and syays, then maybe you can be happy, cause god knows you can't handle the slightest bit of anything less.

Alrighty then FTP. :up:

Goobylal
08-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Fletcher was a solid but unspectacular player. Sure he made loads of tackles, but few of them were game changing. And after Fat Pat left town, he showed that without a top DT pair in front of him, he's virtually ineffective.

So what you had was a 32 year old LB who needs great DT's in front of him, in a system for which he's not suited. The decision was easy to let him go, and Fletcher tried to get the Bills to give him an extension, but they refused.

I appreciate what Fletch did for the Bills. Best of luck to him.

Michael82
08-15-2007, 04:06 PM

:rofl: I was always wondering what Pukecillo was up to. :ill:

duhbilz
08-15-2007, 04:10 PM
Alrighty then FTP. :up:

You got it skooby!!:up:

duhbilz
08-15-2007, 04:14 PM
Fletcher was a solid but unspectacular player. Sure he made loads of tackles, but few of them were game changing. And after Fat Pat left town, he showed that without a top DT pair in front of him, he's virtually ineffective.

So what you had was a 32 year old LB who needs great DT's in front of him, in a system for which he's not suited. The decision was easy to let him go, and Fletcher tried to get the Bills to give him an extension, but they refused.

I appreciate what Fletch did for the Bills. Best of luck to him.

Yes but there was also his leadership and health. All I'm trying to say is that his talent will be missed, Justa just wants to cry about eveything cause I don't write what he wants to read, to bad. I don't see many others he having an issue, mostly him, for whatever reason. Most of the fans here are smart and reasonable, I guess there always has to be a few that have to control what everyone else thinks and writes.

justasportsfan
08-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Yes but there was also his leadership and health. All I'm trying to say is that his talent will be missed, Justa just wants to cry about eveything cause I don't write what he wants to read, to bad. I don't see many others he having an issue, mostly him, for whatever reason. Most of the fans here are smart and reasonable, I guess there always has to be a few that have to control what everyone else thinks and writes.

wow you really are FTP. Gooby has the same opinion I do of Fletch and then you go on yapping about your opinions of me which has nothing to do with Fletcher .

Welcome back my beeyotch.. Too embarrased to use your old handle.. FTP. Busted :snicker:

duhbilz
08-15-2007, 04:35 PM
wow you really are FTP. Gooby has the same opinion I do of Fletch and then you go on yapping about your opinions of me which has nothing to do with Fletcher .

Welcome back my beeyotch.. Too embarrased to use your old handle.. FTP. Busted :snicker:
Wow, you have issues. Better get it looked at, wouldn't want it to fester.

justasportsfan
08-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Wow, you have issues.
haha! You'r the one who's gotten banned in a fins website, getting into trouble in FH and coming here with a different handle and I have issues? :roflmao:

mchurchfie
08-15-2007, 04:42 PM
I'm not sure what the problem is, you affraid to admit that he was talented and the Bills lost a good player? Or are you one of those fans that believe every move made is a good move? How do you know how many teams wanted him? Are you his agent? Obviously you only see what makes you happy, if someone leaves they must suck, god knows it can't be for any other reason.
Nope, I honestly think he sucked anymore. He was undersized, slow, and ineffective anymore. It was in the papers that he didn't have many suitors knocking on his door when he became available so that speaks volumes right there. Don't be bitter just because you spent all of your Taco Bell paycheck on a #59 jersey and they got rid of his ass shortly after. You might be able to dump it at a yard sale.:::

justasportsfan
08-15-2007, 04:43 PM
. Don't be bitter just because you spent all of your Taco Bell paycheck on a #59 jersey and they got rid of his ass shortly after. You might be able to dump it at a yard sale.:::
:rofl:

duhbilz
08-15-2007, 04:45 PM
haha! You'r the one who's gotten banned in a fins website, getting into trouble in FH and coming here with a different handle and I have issues? :roflmao:

K....well time to stop playing with your childish rants, welcome to ignore!!

justasportsfan
08-15-2007, 04:46 PM
K....well time to stop playing with your childish rants, welcome to ignore!!
haha!

Wait ! PLease post your "dear Daunte" letter before you do. :roflmao:

patmoran2006
08-15-2007, 08:18 PM
are you and justa SERIOUSLY comparing Poz to Fletcher based on a PRESEASON GAME????????????????????????

LOL.

well lets go by that.. Lee Evans is a total non factor, and Marshawn Lynch sucks.

Uhhh, ok.

Bling
08-15-2007, 08:46 PM
are you and justa SERIOUSLY comparing Poz to Fletcher based on a PRESEASON GAME????????????????????????

LOL.

well lets go by that.. Lee Evans is a total non factor, and Marshawn Lynch sucks.

Uhhh, ok.

:bf1:

mysticsoto
08-15-2007, 09:28 PM

LOL.

Uhhh, ok.
I know that Fletcher is aging and slowing down and Poz is our future. If that's hard for some people to deal with, then tough. But I saw what Fletcher had to offer in a cover 2 system last year and it wasn't good enough. Whether Poz is there yet or not is irrelevant as atleast he has the potential to get there. Fletcher is on the down side of the hill and with every week he will be farther and farther away...

THE END OF ALL DAYS
08-15-2007, 10:00 PM

POz- 9 tac 1 sack.

LFB got 6 tackles... 12 YARDS DOWN FIELD!

justasportsfan
08-16-2007, 09:13 AM

LOL.

Uhhh, ok.

Haha! Same old MOR.... an.

TedMock
08-16-2007, 09:28 AM
I think Poz is definitely going to be the better player. Obviously, we don't know how good he'll be, but he's a ball player for sure. Poz will take a few weeks to get up to speed. Keep in mind that he's 1. a rookie and 2. playing against the 2nd team. However, after watching him vs. DiGiorgio vs. Fletcher there are a few distinct differences in style of play.

DiGiorgio completely lacked fundamentals last week. That's my opinion. I never played big-time football, so I'm certainly no expert, but I did play for 14 years and into small college ball. On every single level (little league, HS and college) I was taught that a linebacker needs to read run first. Thus, a LB has to prepare to attack first before retreating into passing zones. DiGiorgio stood still trying to figure out what the play might be. Instead of attacking the hole and the lead blockers, he did his best matador impression and took himself out of the play while yelling "olay!" Fletcher was better when he read run because he attacked. However, Fletcher attacked a side very aggressively. His guess was right probably 50% of the time. Luckily, he was fast, so he was able to make tackles downfield after incorrect guesses. Where Poz was noticeably different was that he attacked and he attacked in the right spot. He won't win every battle, but he puts himself in a positon to have a chance. He also puts himself in a position to give others a chance. When he didn't make the tackle, he filled the hole by meeting the lead block head on. This caused the RB's to change plans, which gave others on the defense an opportunity to make plays. Poz is a ball player through and through. Hopefully he becomes a great player for us.

mchurchfie
08-16-2007, 09:57 AM
I think Poz is definitely going to be the better player. Obviously, we don't know how good he'll be, but he's a ball player for sure. Poz will take a few weeks to get up to speed. Keep in mind that he's 1. a rookie and 2. playing against the 2nd team. However, after watching him vs. DiGiorgio vs. Fletcher there are a few distinct differences in style of play.

DiGiorgio completely lacked fundamentals last week. That's my opinion. I never played big-time football, so I'm certainly no expert, but I did play for 14 years and into small college ball. On every single level (little league, HS and college) I was taught that a linebacker needs to read run first. Thus, a LB has to prepare to attack first before retreating into passing zones. DiGiorgio stood still trying to figure out what the play might be. Instead of attacking the hole and the lead blockers, he did his best matador impression and took himself out of the play while yelling "olay!" Fletcher was better when he read run because he attacked. However, Fletcher attacked a side very aggressively. His guess was right probably 50% of the time. Luckily, he was fast, so he was able to make tackles downfield after incorrect guesses. Where Poz was noticeably different was that he attacked and he attacked in the right spot. He won't win every battle, but he puts himself in a positon to have a chance. He also puts himself in a position to give others a chance. When he didn't make the tackle, he filled the hole by meeting the lead block head on. This caused the RB's to change plans, which gave others on the defense an opportunity to make plays. Poz is a ball player through and through. Hopefully he becomes a great player for us.

Very well put.:up: