PDA

View Full Version : BUFFALO'S OWN Kaleta relishes his hometown role with Sabres

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
08-15-2007, 07:59 PM
ANGOLA, NY (LGS) — As National Hockey League debuts go, Patrick Kaleta's would be among the most unique in recent memory. Recalled by the Buffalo Sabres after Daniel Paille was felled by a broken finger, Kaleta made his debut on February 22nd against the Ottawa Senators. It was the night Buffalo captain Chris Drury was blindsided by a Chris Neal elbow to the head.

What happened next remains one of the most vivid memories for many fans from the 2006-07 season. Head coach Lindy Ruff sent out Kaleta, Andrew Peters and Adam Mair to take care of business, all while Ottawa Senators head coach Brian Murray stood in "surprise" that the Sabres were upset over Neil's hit.

"I saw the hit and saw Drury on the ice," remembered Kaleta during an interview with LetsGoSabres.com. "Our line was sent out there to take care of business. Nothing was said. We knew what we had to do. We wanted to go out and send the message to certain players that you can't take advantage of our best players. I think we did a good job of it."

All in all, it was a great debut for the Angola, NY native. "Klatsy" had finally realized his dream of playing in the NHL, the Sabres won and his first NHL point came when he assisted on Clarke MacArthur's first NHL goal.

"It was a fun game to be a part of," Kaleta concluded. "Wearing the vintage Sabres jersey was cool too."

His debut also showed diehard Sabres fans what he can bring to the ice, and it has made them want more. One simply has to look through the archives of this site's message board to see posts dedicated to Kaleta. While the bruising winger is not going online to read them for himself, he is very thankful that the fans are excited about his playing style.

"While I've been out this summer I hear people from around the area tell me that they're jacked up to see what I can do. I feed off the fans and their energy, and they like my style of play," he said.

Teammate in Rochester and Buffalo Mark Mancari summarized everything that Kaleta brings to the table in one sentence: "He's the type of guy who you love to have on your team but you hate to play against."

"I think that's a pretty good description," laughed the 21-year-old when told of Mancari's comment. "I think that I try to stick up for my teammates and play physical.

"Some guys don't like to get hit, but that's a big part of my game. If they don't like it then they'll just have to deal with it."

This offseason Kaleta has spent a lot of time preparing for the 2007-08 season, and he has focused himself on starting the season in Buffalo.

"I've been working out a lot and focusing on what I have to do to make the team. I'm going to have to go to camp and try to play physical, which I'm not sure if I can do in camp (out of fear of injuring either himself or a teammate). We'll see what happens."

http://www.letsgosabres.com/pressbox/fullstory.php?newsid=10413

camelcowboy
08-15-2007, 08:16 PM
he'll be in rachacha this year

BlackMetalNinja
08-15-2007, 09:54 PM
he'll be in rachacha this year

Exactly where he belongs...

Michael82
08-16-2007, 12:54 AM
Exactly where he belongs...
EXACTLY! No where near the starting roster for the Buffalo Sabres....

Michael82
08-16-2007, 12:55 AM
people who live in Buffalo and WNY want to see this kid play

I love how you continue to tell Buffalo and WNY people what they are thinking.... :rofl:

BlackMetalNinja
08-16-2007, 06:04 AM
Well he's right.. I DO want to see him play... in Rochester, where he can continue to f*** up and make the kinda of mistakes he's bound to make and not cost the Sabres anything for now. I have no doubt he can be a good player for Buffalo in the future, but not yet.

tampabay25690
08-16-2007, 08:20 AM
He reminds me of MATT Barnaby...PESKY..

Michael82
08-16-2007, 08:22 AM
Well he's right.. I DO want to see him play... in Rochester, where he can continue to f*** up and make the kinda of mistakes he's bound to make and not cost the Sabres anything for now. I have no doubt he can be a good player for Buffalo in the future, but not yet.
After watching him in Rochester for a year, I totally agree with you. The kid still has a lot to learn and will get better, but for now...if he's in Buffalo on one of the lines, we are in trouble. :ill:

Earthquake Enyart
08-16-2007, 08:35 AM
Nice story. Too bad he stinks.

CuseJetsFan83
08-16-2007, 10:59 AM
After watching him in Rochester for a year, I totally agree with you. The kid still has a lot to learn and will get better, but for now...if he's in Buffalo on one of the lines, we are in trouble. :ill:

like i said, until he can contain crunch players, keep him down in the AHL

if injuries arise and you need to bring him up is one thing..... but playing loose and reckless is just a recipe for disaster