PDA

View Full Version : alarming?

patmoran2006
08-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Our offense continues to look like **** in training camp, getting schooled by our defense.

Losman threw four interceptions at yesterday's practice.

Yet, against the Saints our defense looked horrid and had Brees, Bush, Colston, etc stayed in the game they probably put 30 up on us.

Why is our offense looking so ****ty? Not just against the Saints but especially against a defense in camp that almost everyone thinks is the weaker unit of the team?

ScottLawrence
08-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Assuming our offensive line holds up, our offense goes as Losman does..... Losman throwing INT's left and right only emphasizes my point.

Goobylal
08-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Yep, just like they put up a whole 3 points in that first quarter. This after having already played a pre-season game and gameplanning for the Bills like it were a regular season, if not playoff, game.

If you think the Bills fans should be worrying about their team, just what do you think the Saints fans are feeling, only scoring 3 points against the "lowly" Bills' defense, despite it being the 2nd pre-season game and them having a semblance of a gameplan?

cordog
08-15-2007, 08:27 PM
It's just training camp. By this time in camp, the D knows the offense like the back of their hand. The most important thing is that there are no major injuries (knock on wood)

Goobylal
08-15-2007, 08:31 PM
It's just training camp. By this time in camp, the D knows the offense like the back of their hand. The most important thing is that there are no major injuries (knock on wood)
Yep, like JP said, they were running pass-only plays, meaning the defense KNEW that there would be no running plays. A big part of play-calling is making your opponent guess as to whether you're running or passing. And by certain cues, defenders get a read on what a player is going to do, AGAIN in the context of a pass-only or run-only play.

DraftBoy
08-15-2007, 08:32 PM
Im not alarmed at all

duhbilz
08-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Our offense continues to look like **** in training camp, getting schooled by our defense.

Losman threw four interceptions at yesterday's practice.

Yet, against the Saints our defense looked horrid and had Brees, Bush, Colston, etc stayed in the game they probably put 30 up on us.

Why is our offense looking so ****ty? Not just against the Saints but especially against a defense in camp that almost everyone thinks is the weaker unit of the team?

I don't think there's a team in the league that looks good right now on offense. Look at the Eagles, Colts and Pats . The thing with preseason is you're not getting a 100% effort and that will always favor the Defense. It's just way to hard to gauge improvement at this time of year. We all want to see improvement and when we don't we think it's bad news, when in reality it's just not the time of year to be judging any team.

don137
08-15-2007, 08:36 PM
The Saints have a very good offense. it was their second game & the Bills first game and offenses take longer in preseason to gel then defenses. I expect to see an improvement on both sides of the ball on Friday. I would like to see Lynch get the start. He's been the best RB in TC so give him a shot with the starters.

HHURRICANE
08-15-2007, 08:50 PM
I'm not worried....yet.

It does seem like JPs ints are going up in camp. I'm not ready to panic.

patmoran2006
08-15-2007, 08:51 PM
JP has NOT had a good camp so far this year.

Granted, its only camp.. Camp at "Club Jaruon" on top of it.. But he hasn't looked good.. yet

cocamide
08-15-2007, 08:52 PM
I'll wait until game 3-4 of the regular season, and if there's no improvement over last year then I'll worry.

Goobylal
08-15-2007, 09:06 PM
Nice try on the "JP hasn't looked good at camp yet." Like most QB's, he's had his good days and bad.

patmoran2006
08-15-2007, 09:08 PM
He looked alot better at this time last year than he has this year.

And I dont have to have a "nice try".. I'm not anti-JP and want nothing more than for him to be solid. But thus far, he hasn't looked it.

Goobylal
08-15-2007, 09:22 PM
I remember MANY reports last year talking about how "the defense was ahead of the offense." That has to do with what JP was saying, i.e. that the defense knows it going to be either just pass or just run, and know the players' tendencies.

And to quote Allen Iverson, "we're talking about practice, man, practice!"

raphael120
08-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Well last year the defense was ALWAYS ahead of the offense. The defense was making more plays for the offense and sometimes even had to win the game for the whole team and make up for the impotent offense.

Goobylal
08-15-2007, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't exactly say that the defense won more than a few games for the Bills last year.

raphael120
08-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Well rankings-wise, the defense ranked better than the offense. And even the defense didnt rank well.

Philagape
08-15-2007, 09:41 PM
Good timing ...........

Offense Rebounds, Evans and Aiken Shine
Buffalo's offense really had to redeem itself after a pair of practices in which they were soundly outperformed by the defense, and they responded. The Bills passing game was far more consistent Wednesday night with several big plays and not surprisingly Lee Evans was in the middle of it.

Buffalo's top wideout unofficially had seven receptions on the evening. One of his prettier catches was an over the shoulder grab down the far sideline. Evans gained inside position on Terrence McGee and J.P. Losman deftly dropped the ball over his inside shoulder for a big gainer.

Losman and Evans looked very much in sync for the first time in a few practices as the pair worked the sidelines a lot. During their two-minute drill series Evans made two catches at the end of the drive. One he made in the flat and successfully got out bounds to stop the clock and on the next play he got outside the coverage to make a reception near the sideline. As his momentum carried him over the sideline he tried to reach the ball inside the pylon for a touchdown, but just missed.

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=5075

Goobylal
08-15-2007, 09:44 PM
More gun-jumping. Oy.

Patti120
08-15-2007, 09:55 PM
The sky is falling!!!!

:barney:

BlackMetalNinja
08-15-2007, 10:00 PM
granted, I've had a few beers... but I'd view it like this...

I think defense naturally has the upper hand on offense, generally speaking. Throw in the fact that our D has been facing this same O every day in camp for weeks now... they're bound to have a pretty good clue what's going on with them at this point.

At least I hope that's the case anyways.

Mad Bomber
08-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Why is our offense looking so ****ty? Not just against the Saints but especially against a defense in camp that almost everyone thinks is the weaker unit of the team? When you know a pass is coming, and you know the routes they're going to be running, defense is a lot easier. The play action fake just doesn't mean as much...

FlyingDutchman
08-15-2007, 10:09 PM
He looked alot better at this time last year than he has this year.

And I dont have to have a "nice try".. I'm not anti-JP and want nothing more than for him to be solid. But thus far, he hasn't looked it.

I gotta disagree. I live in Rochester and have been to a bunch of practices. In years past he was very inconsistent on his throws. Some were at recievers feet, some over their head. This year he has a new confidence and hes gettin the ball to the receivers. Theres been many occasions where intereceptions occured from tipped balls off WRs (he hit Reed in the numbers a couple of nights ago and it shot off Reeds chest) or the corner back just made a good play. Its bound to happen and hopefully its just a good sign for our D and the secondary. Sure some are just bad throws but thats also bound to happen as well, thats why its called practice. JP is well ahead of last years camp, I promise you this.

Mitchy moo
08-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Doom post here, please move on.

MikeInRoch
08-15-2007, 11:45 PM
JP has NOT had a good camp so far this year.

Granted, its only camp.. Camp at "Club Jaruon" on top of it.. But he hasn't looked good.. yet

Pat, have you BEEN to camp?

Meathead
08-16-2007, 01:49 AM
let the trent edwards era begin!

dplus47
08-16-2007, 02:07 AM
Yep, just like they put up a whole 3 points in that first quarter. This after having already played a pre-season game and gameplanning for the Bills like it were a regular season, if not playoff, game.

is this part meant to be taken seriously?

Tinboy
08-16-2007, 02:07 AM
The sky is falling!!!!

:barney:

And it's been for a long time :;

PECKERWOOD
08-16-2007, 04:06 AM
Doesn't matter really. If Losman blows it this year, it most likely means that we will have a ****ty record, which would lead me to assume that we would have a new QB in here anyways. Make or break year for Losman.

Wally The Barber
08-16-2007, 05:01 AM
We miss Bennie Anderson

Goobylal
08-16-2007, 06:33 AM
is this part meant to be taken seriously?
After the performance the Saints had against the Steelers, and the way they were running misdirection, blitzing, and stunting, yes. The point being that if ANY team's fans had a reason to kvetch, it was Saints fans after a 2nd straight poor outing by their team and 1st stringers.

mysticsoto
08-16-2007, 07:50 AM

Nope. He just feels like overreacting like a few others around here. Maybe it's contagious and something you can catch...:idunno:

madness
08-16-2007, 07:53 AM
After the performance the Saints had against the Steelers, and the way they were running misdirection, blitzing, and stunting, yes. The point being that if ANY team's fans had a reason to kvetch, it was Saints fans after a 2nd straight poor outing by their team and 1st stringers.

That was clear as day. It was equivelant of a jr high kid getting bullied by a HS chump on his first day.

OpIv37
08-16-2007, 08:26 AM

If you think the Bills fans should be worrying about their team, just what do you think the Saints fans are feeling, only scoring 3 points against the "lowly" Bills' defense, despite it being the 2nd pre-season game and them having a semblance of a gameplan?

Saints fans shouldn't be worried at all. Their offense moved the ball well and only failed to score because of a great ST play. They were pushing us all over the field- another drive or two like that and our D would have been dead- they had the "bend but don't break" D on the verge of breaking when they were pulled.

MikeInRoch
08-16-2007, 08:36 AM

I haven't heard an answer from the source yet, so I thought I should repeat the question. Actually, a better question is: "Pat, have you actually seen JP play at camp?"

Mr. Pink
08-16-2007, 08:59 AM
We shouldn't be worried that our first team defense got pushed all over the field.

We shouldn't be worried that our offense couldn't sustain drives.

I mean after all, our defense was so great last year! It was just the schemes the Saints used that screwed us. Are we not allowed to use recent history and apply it? Especially when the results we saw out of our first team defense in the first preseason game looked EXACTLY like our defense all of last year? Or the fact that our O has issues sustaining lengthy drives, which was pretty much all last year and oh, it reaeed it's ugly head again.

I won't even get into how ******ed it was to only allow Lynch to have 2 carries, but I go back to my point.

We get to FA and we do little, everyone says wait til the draft.
We get the draft done and we do questionable picks outside of Rounds 1 and 2, everyone says wait til TC.
We get to TC and some players look bad, McCargo keeps getting hurt, players underperform. What do we hear? Wait til Preseason.
We get to Preseason and our first teamers on both sides of the ball looked like a monkey eph'ing a football. We hear wait til regular season.

My question is this...when does the optimistic rallying cry turn into "Wait til next year?"

There is plenty of cause for concern and some cause for optimism. The concern part right now outweighs the optimism though. The ONLY sure thing we have on this team right now is good ST.

The thing that's annoying about all of this is a. If our players were worldbeaters in the first preseason game, the board would be innundated with we're playoff caliber, etc. Even though those very same people right now say preseason is basically meaningless. Then b. The justification of poor TC and Preseason play by the starters thus far.

But don't worry, I'm sure McCargo won't EVER spike himself again. He's made of steel errrrr glass. Just as an example.

MikeInRoch
08-16-2007, 07:48 PM
I haven't heard an answer from the source yet, so I thought I should repeat the question. Actually, a better question is: "Pat, have you actually seen JP play at camp?"

Still waiting....

Goobylal
08-16-2007, 08:24 PM
We shouldn't be worried that our first team defense got pushed all over the field.

We shouldn't be worried that our offense couldn't sustain drives.

I mean after all, our defense was so great last year! It was just the schemes the Saints used that screwed us. Are we not allowed to use recent history and apply it? Especially when the results we saw out of our first team defense in the first preseason game looked EXACTLY like our defense all of last year? Or the fact that our O has issues sustaining lengthy drives, which was pretty much all last year and oh, it reaeed it's ugly head again.

I won't even get into how ******ed it was to only allow Lynch to have 2 carries, but I go back to my point.

We get to FA and we do little, everyone says wait til the draft.
We get the draft done and we do questionable picks outside of Rounds 1 and 2, everyone says wait til TC.
We get to TC and some players look bad, McCargo keeps getting hurt, players underperform. What do we hear? Wait til Preseason.
We get to Preseason and our first teamers on both sides of the ball looked like a monkey eph'ing a football. We hear wait til regular season.

My question is this...when does the optimistic rallying cry turn into "Wait til next year?"
I don't know. How about maybe AFTER the Bills are eliminated from the playoffs/race?

I mean, how great did the Bills look last training camp and pre-season? How many "negs" said this was a 3-5 win team at best and had no chance at the playoffs? And at what point was the team eliminated from playoff contention last year, despite new systems on offense and defense, up to 5 rookies playing a ton, and the hardest schedule in the NFL? Yep, it was the final minute of week 16.

Oh and I'd hardly call adding 3 OL, all of whom possibly could be starting for the Bills, "do[ing] little" in FA. And adding Lynch and Poz will be big boosts to both the offense and defense, while Wright could be the short-yardage RB the Bills could have definitely used last year.

And you're a smart guy. You know that pre-season means little, so you should take results with a grain of salt. As I said, if anyone should be freaking out, it should be the Saints fans after their starting offense scored a total of THREE points the first 2 pre-season games, much less against the "lowly" Bills' defense which was missing 2 of their better starters, starting a former UDFA MLB, and a CB coming off substantial missed time with a hamstring injury, all with NO gameplan and no previous game to knock-off some rust.

MikeInRoch
08-17-2007, 10:20 AM

I wonder if I'm going to get an answer for this one....

The last buffalo fan
08-17-2007, 10:25 AM
I wonder if I'm going to get an answer for this one....

No Mike, I haven't.

Regards,

Tat Miron

patmoran2006
08-17-2007, 10:31 AM
I have.
NOt as much as I'd like, but I have.

And I remember last year fondly how he was looking at this point compared to this year.

Im not saying he sucks, Im saying as of right NOW he hasnt looked as good as I hoped