PDA

View Full Version : Tank Tyler vs John McCargo

baalworship
08-15-2007, 10:36 PM
I just got done watching episode 2 of Hard Knocks on HBO where they follow the Kansas City Chiefs training camp. They show plenty of Tank Tyler who was drafted as a DT from NC State by the Chiefs in the third round and he looks like a beast!

Was McCargo considered a significantly better prospect? Because if McCargo can equal what they are making Tyler out to be we would be in great shape.

2003-2004 Wolfpack Defense

DE Mario Williams - Texans (Pick 1, Round 1)

DE Manny Lawson - 49ers (Pick 22, Round 1)

DT John McCargo - Bills (Pick 26, Round 1)

DT Tank Tyler - Chiefs (Pick 82, Round 3)

Jaybird
08-15-2007, 10:44 PM
it kinda reminds me of the miami canes d-line in 2001, half of those guys stink

DraftBoy
08-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Tyler was an 07 Draftee, the other three were taken in 06

baalworship
08-15-2007, 10:50 PM
How would you compare the two as prospects though? That is what I am curious about as they were both DT's from the same school and played together.

DraftBoy
08-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Tyler was a lazy player, he'd make a few good-great plays a game and really collapse a pocket and then disappear, he has more skill than McCargo imo.

McCargo was a huge beneficiary of the talent around him; Tank, Mario, and Manny. This is not to say that McCargo is a scrub, he has a very nice first step and some decent rush moves, but I didnt see anything special in him.

I had Tank graded as a 3rd Rounder with 1st Round talent, and I had McCargo as a 3rd Rounder as well. I could be wrong though, just my opinion.

baalworship
08-15-2007, 11:02 PM
Yikes.

Well, let's just hope you're wrong about McCargo but so far he has shown nothing. I was hoping we could at least see flashes of explosiveness but this guy has to step up.

I remember the Bills scouts drooling about his first step but I never see it.

BillsPride12
08-15-2007, 11:08 PM
I just saw that episode too and I know you can't really judge a guy from a few clips here and there on an HBO special but he did look like a beast and I kept asking myself why couldn't the Bills draft this guy or someone like it? This show isn't one of those fake shows that just make everything look great they were also focusing on another D-lineman who was really struggling so I gotta believe this Tyler has had a pretty solid camp.

alohabillsfan
08-16-2007, 07:39 AM
I can show 4 or 5 clips of McGahee and make him look like s stud RB! You cannot rate a drafted player based on 1 season.

P.S. I do have my concerns over McCargo but I do believe that the scouting dept. does their homework.

eyedog
08-16-2007, 07:52 AM
McGahee was a stud rb, before his knee injury. I don't think he has ever fully recovered to what he was in college. He doesn't have that 2nd gear that he had before the injury.
Of course being in Baltimore and another year from that injury I'm sure he''ll find that gear now.
I'm not big on drafting players early who are coming off major injuries.

streetkings01
08-16-2007, 09:57 AM
McGahee was a stud rb, before his knee injury. I don't think he has ever fully recovered to what he was in college. He doesn't have that 2nd gear that he had before the injury.
Of course being in Baltimore and another year from that injury I'm sure he''ll find that gear now.
I'm not big on drafting players early who are coming off major injuries.That injury happened 01/03 it's been 4 years already! He's not getting that burst he had back, it's like my virginity.....it's gone forever sheesh!!!

eyedog
08-16-2007, 10:02 AM
That injury happened 01/03 it's been 4 years already! He's not getting that burst he had back, it's like my virginity.....it's gone forever sheesh!!!

I agree he's not.
But the way things usually workout for the Bills he may find a miraculous burst somewhere now that he's gone.

Ickybaluky
08-16-2007, 10:26 AM
some decent rush moves

Decent rush moves?

He only had half a sack his last season at NC State and only 3.5 sacks in his 3 year career there. He only had 6 sacks his senior year of high school for crying out loud.

McCargo wasn't a pass-rush guy coming out of college. He is a pretty good athlete for his size and a disruptor, but he projected as more of a run-down guy who will come off the field on 3rd down.

DraftBoy
08-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Decent rush moves?

He only had half a sack his last season at NC State and only 3.5 sacks in his 3 year career there. He only had 6 sacks his senior year of high school for crying out loud.

McCargo wasn't a pass-rush guy coming out of college. He is a pretty good athlete for his size and a disruptor, but he projected as more of a run-down guy who will come off the field on 3rd down.

Rush moves wasnt the proper terminology maybe, he does have the moves however to knife to the pocket and penetrate the backfield. To me those are the same moves some DT's use to rush the passer.

Ickybaluky
08-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Rush moves wasnt the proper terminology maybe, he does have the moves however to knife to the pocket and penetrate the backfield. To me those are the same moves some DT's use to rush the passer.

OK. I see him as a Tank Johnson-type of guy (hopefully without the guns). They are about the same size. Both are athletic players who penetrate and disrupt, but neither is a big pass-rush threat.

DraftBoy
08-16-2007, 12:49 PM
OK. I see him as a Tank Johnson-type of guy (hopefully without the guns). They are about the same size. Both are athletic players who penetrate and disrupt, but neither is a big pass-rush threat.

I agree that is very accurate, imo. However until McCargo can remain injury free he may never reach his full potential.