• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamze132
    Don’t hate…
    • Jun 2003

Aaron Schobel and all his sacks...

The article on the front page made mention that only one player in the NFL, Jason Taylor has more sacks since 2003 than Schobel. Does this suprise anyone?

I was suprised, pleasantly suprised.

OK... let's hear it peeps. Let's hear all the negativity about how he can't make a sack when it really counts, how he is streaky, and how much he sucks in the run game.

Keep up the good work Aaron!
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Aaron Schobel and all his sacks...

he's not perfect but he certainly gets the job done- at least moreso than anyone else on our DL.

Kinda makes you wonder how good he'd be if opposing offenses had to pay attention to someone else on our DL and didn't have to key on him every play.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• JoeMama
      Emotion Sickness
      • Oct 2002

Aaron Schobel is underrated, even by Bills fans.

Fans make a big deal about his run defense - but it seems like most teams in the NFL run the ball either more often or more effectively to the left side of the line because (a) their best lineman is usually their left tackle and (b) left defensive end tends to be smaller on the left side, thus more of a target. But I'll preface that by admitting I don't have any stats on that, so I could be wrong.

And really, Schobel's run defense was a non-issue in 2003 and 2004 when the Bills were top 10 in the NFL. Seems to me that he can stop the run fine when he has quality defensive tackles beside him.

Another thing to keep in mind about Schobel is that he does receive double teams. It's something I've noticed fairly regularly since the latter half of 2003; particularly when we played the Titans that season. They double teamed him most of the game. I imagine his numbers would be even better if he had stronger pass rushers opposite him at right defensive end.

I also read somewhere that Schobel was top five in the NFL in quarterback pressures last season. So it's not like he got a bunch of lucky sacks. Dude got to the quarterback plenty.

He's one of those guys I don't worry about. He's solid.
      Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• Schobel94
        The Sack Master
        • Jan 2003

Face it, he';s the only one who can consistently get pressure on the QB, which is probably the most important thing one can do. His worth is immeasureable, and without him the defense would be one of the worst in the league.
        Beware the sack master!

Comment

• B-DON
          hi
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Schobel94
          Face it, he';s the only one who can consistently get pressure on the QB, which is probably the most important thing one can do. His worth is immeasureable, and without him the defense would be one of the worst in the league.
          It already is

Comment

• jamze132
            Don’t hate…
            • Jun 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
            he's not perfect but he certainly gets the job done- at least moreso than anyone else on our DL.

Kinda makes you wonder how good he'd be if opposing offenses had to pay attention to someone else on our DL and didn't have to key on him every play.
            It sure would be nice to have someone opposite beside him. I give Kelsay / Denney credit for doing their part, but we need someone in the middle to take some pressure away from Schobel. I wouldn't be suprised if he wasn't double teamed all the time, that he could get 18 a year.

Comment

• FinFaninBuffalo
              Registered Fish
              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by jamze132
              The article on the front page made mention that only one player in the NFL, Jason Taylor has more sacks since 2003 than Schobel. Does this suprise anyone?

OK... let's hear it peeps. Let's hear all the negativity about how he can't make a sack when it really counts, how he is streaky, and how much he sucks in the run game.

Schobel is a good player. I don't think he sucks in any aspect of the game. All players get sacks in streaks. I have felt for a long time that he is a "quiet" double digit sacker. He doesn't make as many disruptive plays as someone like Jason Taylor. I had this debate with a Bills fan on another message board.

JT has been used in a greater variety of situations. He has 62 passes defensed in his career vs 16 for Schobel.

Big plays in addition to sacks is where there is no comparison. Schobel has 11 career forced fumbles. JT had 9 last season alone and 36 career forced fumbles. Same pattern with career fumble recoveries, JT has 23 Schobel has 6. JT has 7 career TDs, Schobel has 0.

Last season is a good comparision of the two players. While Schobel had .5 more sacks than JT last season, JT added these impact plays:

Forced fumbles: 9 vs 3
              Fumble recoveries: 2 vs 1
              INTs: 2 vs 0
              Fumble & INT return yardage: 104 vs 0
              TDs: 2 vs 0

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by jamze132

That only proves that the only player to get more meaningless sacks over the last four years is Taylor.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• dolphan117
                  • Dec 2005

I'm double surprised, I wouldn't have guessed that either one of those guys would be one two. JT because while I know he is playing the best football of his life I would have thought a younger more one dimensional player would lead the league and Schobel because you don't hear much about him for a guy that apparently ranks that high in sack production.

I guess its all about consistency over time.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Jul 2002

Please tell me more about Jason Taylor.

I can't get enough.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

He's one of the best pass rushing DE in the NFL, and our best DL.
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• MiamiFins854
                        • Apr 2007

after his bundle of sacks last year he will be getting the jason taylor treatment of double teams. someone else needs to step up so some of the focus is taken off of him.

whos your other end, kelsay?
                        FINS FAN IN PEACE

Comment

• MiamiFins854
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by B-DON
                          It already is
                          no it isn't?
                          FINS FAN IN PEACE

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                            Defies all logic
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by MiamiFins854
                            after his bundle of sacks last year he will be getting the jason taylor treatment of double teams. someone else needs to step up so some of the focus is taken off of him.

whos your other end, kelsay?
                            Kelsay and maybe Hargrove.

EDIT: Forgot that Denney was injured at first.
                            Last edited by PECKERWOOD; 08-19-2007, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• Dolphanzeke
                              • Mar 2004

Seems to me you guys need a big Bullrushing type to help out Shobel not so much another outside prescence (sp)...Shobel is an outstanding player considering he has to get everything basically on his own...JT has always had the luxury of good to great DTs to play next to.
                              FOOTBALL SIM --->http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=47186

Comment

Working...
                              X