PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Schobel and all his sacks...

jamze132
08-16-2007, 02:39 PM
The article on the front page made mention that only one player in the NFL, Jason Taylor has more sacks since 2003 than Schobel. Does this suprise anyone?

I was suprised, pleasantly suprised.

OK... let's hear it peeps. Let's hear all the negativity about how he can't make a sack when it really counts, how he is streaky, and how much he sucks in the run game. :blah:

Keep up the good work Aaron!

OpIv37
08-16-2007, 02:46 PM
he's not perfect but he certainly gets the job done- at least moreso than anyone else on our DL.

Kinda makes you wonder how good he'd be if opposing offenses had to pay attention to someone else on our DL and didn't have to key on him every play.

JoeMama
08-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Aaron Schobel is underrated, even by Bills fans.

Fans make a big deal about his run defense - but it seems like most teams in the NFL run the ball either more often or more effectively to the left side of the line because (a) their best lineman is usually their left tackle and (b) left defensive end tends to be smaller on the left side, thus more of a target. But I'll preface that by admitting I don't have any stats on that, so I could be wrong.

And really, Schobel's run defense was a non-issue in 2003 and 2004 when the Bills were top 10 in the NFL. Seems to me that he can stop the run fine when he has quality defensive tackles beside him.

Another thing to keep in mind about Schobel is that he does receive double teams. It's something I've noticed fairly regularly since the latter half of 2003; particularly when we played the Titans that season. They double teamed him most of the game. I imagine his numbers would be even better if he had stronger pass rushers opposite him at right defensive end.

I also read somewhere that Schobel was top five in the NFL in quarterback pressures last season. So it's not like he got a bunch of lucky sacks. Dude got to the quarterback plenty.

He's one of those guys I don't worry about. He's solid.

Schobel94
08-16-2007, 04:11 PM
Face it, he';s the only one who can consistently get pressure on the QB, which is probably the most important thing one can do. His worth is immeasureable, and without him the defense would be one of the worst in the league.

B-DON
08-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Face it, he';s the only one who can consistently get pressure on the QB, which is probably the most important thing one can do. His worth is immeasureable, and without him the defense would be one of the worst in the league.

It already is

jamze132
08-17-2007, 02:16 PM
he's not perfect but he certainly gets the job done- at least moreso than anyone else on our DL.

Kinda makes you wonder how good he'd be if opposing offenses had to pay attention to someone else on our DL and didn't have to key on him every play.
It sure would be nice to have someone opposite beside him. I give Kelsay / Denney credit for doing their part, but we need someone in the middle to take some pressure away from Schobel. I wouldn't be suprised if he wasn't double teamed all the time, that he could get 18 a year.

FinFaninBuffalo
08-19-2007, 09:48 AM
The article on the front page made mention that only one player in the NFL, Jason Taylor has more sacks since 2003 than Schobel. Does this suprise anyone?

OK... let's hear it peeps. Let's hear all the negativity about how he can't make a sack when it really counts, how he is streaky, and how much he sucks in the run game. :blah:

Schobel is a good player. I don't think he sucks in any aspect of the game. All players get sacks in streaks. I have felt for a long time that he is a "quiet" double digit sacker. He doesn't make as many disruptive plays as someone like Jason Taylor. I had this debate with a Bills fan on another message board.

JT has been used in a greater variety of situations. He has 62 passes defensed in his career vs 16 for Schobel.

Big plays in addition to sacks is where there is no comparison. Schobel has 11 career forced fumbles. JT had 9 last season alone and 36 career forced fumbles. Same pattern with career fumble recoveries, JT has 23 Schobel has 6. JT has 7 career TDs, Schobel has 0.

Last season is a good comparision of the two players. While Schobel had .5 more sacks than JT last season, JT added these impact plays:

Forced fumbles: 9 vs 3
Fumble recoveries: 2 vs 1
INTs: 2 vs 0
Fumble & INT return yardage: 104 vs 0
TDs: 2 vs 0

YardRat
08-19-2007, 09:52 AM

That only proves that the only player to get more meaningless sacks over the last four years is Taylor.

dolphan117
08-19-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm double surprised, I wouldn't have guessed that either one of those guys would be one two. JT because while I know he is playing the best football of his life I would have thought a younger more one dimensional player would lead the league and Schobel because you don't hear much about him for a guy that apparently ranks that high in sack production.

I guess its all about consistency over time.

Earthquake Enyart
08-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Please tell me more about Jason Taylor.

I can't get enough.

DraftBoy
08-19-2007, 11:22 AM
He's one of the best pass rushing DE in the NFL, and our best DL.

MiamiFins854
08-19-2007, 12:08 PM
after his bundle of sacks last year he will be getting the jason taylor treatment of double teams. someone else needs to step up so some of the focus is taken off of him.

whos your other end, kelsay?

MiamiFins854
08-19-2007, 12:09 PM
It already is

no it isn't?

PECKERWOOD
08-19-2007, 12:11 PM
after his bundle of sacks last year he will be getting the jason taylor treatment of double teams. someone else needs to step up so some of the focus is taken off of him.

whos your other end, kelsay?

Kelsay and maybe Hargrove.

EDIT: Forgot that Denney was injured at first.

Dolphanzeke
08-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Seems to me you guys need a big Bullrushing type to help out Shobel not so much another outside prescence (sp)...Shobel is an outstanding player considering he has to get everything basically on his own...JT has always had the luxury of good to great DTs to play next to.

FinFaninBuffalo
08-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Please tell me more about Jason Taylor.

I can't get enough.

The original poster compared Schobel to Taylor. I merely provided more information than just sacks.

PECKERWOOD
08-19-2007, 08:23 PM
The original poster compared Schobel to Taylor. I merely provided more information than just sacks.

This topic wasn't about JT. We all know that JT is the better player, that's why it's surprising to see Schobel in the same category as a future HOF.

HHURRICANE
08-19-2007, 08:24 PM

Taylor is better than Schobel. Do you feel better.

FinFaninBuffalo
08-19-2007, 08:56 PM
This topic wasn't about JT. We all know that JT is the better player, that's why it's surprising to see Schobel in the same category as a future HOF.

Schobel is a very good player. He is not quite considered in JT's class. I provided some insight about why.

FinFaninBuffalo
08-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Taylor is better than Schobel. Do you feel better.

What are you bitter about?

Dolphanzeke
08-20-2007, 08:50 AM
Schobel is on the same path as JT...the big plays.. ints.. forced fumbles. TDs..started to come in much bigger numbers later in his career I would expect the same thing from Aaron.