PDA

View Full Version : Our OL- Ten Years of Struggles

OpIv37
08-16-2007, 02:57 PM
There is a blog in the Wash Post today about Brunell vs Todd Collins (yes, THAT Todd Collins) for the Redskins backup QB spot-

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2007/08/todd_collins_vs_mark_brunell.html#more

They have some quotes from the Buffalo News about Collins' last NFL start, in Buffalo in 1997. One of them jumped out at me:

As any Bills follower knows, Collins' first season as a starting quarterback was, in a word, disappointing. He finished 29th in the NFL passer ratings. He got worse as the season wore on. He failed to spot open receivers. He too often failed to connect with open receivers he did see. He rarely made plays on his own when his pass protection was less that adequate -- which was often.

Wow.

I know we've had OL struggles for a while, but I don't remember them going back THAT far. What's the problem here?

At the risk of stating the obvious, I think it's two-fold. First, lack of drafting for the lines. The Bills rarely spend high picks on either the OL and the DL, and when they do, they usually suck like Mike Williams.

Second, poor FA selection for the OL: Chris Villarial, Bennie Anderson and Tutan Reyes come immediately to mind.

The good news: most of this was on the previous FO and previous coaches. The bad news: the current brass hasnt' drafted a first day OL yet and they already missed once in FA with Reyes.

It's frustrating to think that through 10 years, 4 head coaches and two GM's, we still haven't gotten it right. Hopefully this is the year.... if it's not, at least it won't be due to lack of effort.

OpIv37
08-16-2007, 02:58 PM
or is it 3 GM's? What year did TD take over?

justasportsfan
08-16-2007, 03:16 PM
The bad news: the current brass hasnt' drafted a first day OL yet and they already missed once in FA with Reyes.

but addressed it via FA'cy with Dockery and Walker so they really didn't neglect the OL but instead used the draft for other positions.

justasportsfan
08-16-2007, 03:18 PM
or is it 3 GM's? What year did TD take over?
Collins was under Butler, if you don't count him, 2 GMs to date.

Bling
08-16-2007, 03:25 PM
but addressed it via FA'cy with Dockery and Walker so they really didn't neglect the OL but instead used the draft for other positions.

We'll see about these guys. I don't think you can judge either just yet as good or bad.

justasportsfan
08-16-2007, 03:27 PM
We'll see about these guys. I don't think you can judge either just yet as good or bad.

I didn't judge them. Just stating the OL wasn't neglected.

Bling
08-16-2007, 03:31 PM

Gotcha!

raphael120
08-16-2007, 03:46 PM
Second, poor FA selection for the OL: Chris Villarial, Bennie Anderson and Tutan Reyes come immediately to mind.

The good news: most of this was on the previous FO and previous coaches. The bad news: the current brass hasnt' drafted a first day OL yet and they already missed once in FA with Reyes.

It's frustrating to think that through 10 years, 4 head coaches and two GM's, we still haven't gotten it right. Hopefully this is the year.... if it's not, at least it won't be due to lack of effort.

You forgot Mike Gandy too.

SABURZFAN
08-16-2007, 03:52 PM
There is a blog in the Wash Post today about Brunell vs Todd Collins (yes, THAT Todd Collins) for the Redskins backup QB spot-

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2007/08/todd_collins_vs_mark_brunell.html#more

They have some quotes from the Buffalo News about Collins' last NFL start, in Buffalo in 1997. One of them jumped out at me:

Wow.

I know we've had OL struggles for a while, but I don't remember them going back THAT far. What's the problem here?

At the risk of stating the obvious, I think it's two-fold. First, lack of drafting for the lines. The Bills rarely spend high picks on either the OL and the DL, and when they do, they usually suck like Mike Williams.

i've been hollering about the OL since this boards existence.Donna Ho TOTALLY neglected it during his tenure.it didn't help that Butler tanked his last draft in Buffalo either.

Philagape
08-16-2007, 03:54 PM
You forgot Mike Gandy too.

not to mention Trey Teague

OpIv37
08-16-2007, 03:54 PM

at times over that 10 year span, it was neglected. At other times, it was addressed poorly. Hopefully that won't happen again here.

mchurchfie
08-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Our line started going south of the border in the last of the Kelly days. That was one of the reasons his last play of his career he was wheeled off on a cart.:ill:

Philagape
08-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Our line started going south of the border in the last of the Kelly days. That was one of the reasons his last play of his career he was wheeled off on a cart.:ill:

Yeah I can't remember the line being a strength since the SB days

justasportsfan
08-16-2007, 04:19 PM
at times over that 10 year span, it was neglected. At other times, it was addressed poorly. Hopefully that won't happen again here.
I don't disagree with 10(? Butler+ TD) years , but not under the current FO which my statement about Dockery and Wlaker and what I quoted you on was referring to. ;)

Earthquake Enyart
08-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Once we drafted Fina No. 1, we were afraid to do it again. :::

mchurchfie
08-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Once we drafted Fina No. 1, we were afraid to do it again. :::
Who could forget Fina.:ill::puke:

SABURZFAN
08-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Who could forget Fina.:ill::puke:

who can forget that rediculous contract? :down:

SABURZFAN
08-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Yeah I can't remember the line being a strength since the SB days

after the SB days,you have to go back to the Electric Company.we had Devlin and Richter between them but nothing outside of those two.