PDA

View Full Version : Are we looking for too much?

Pride
03-20-2003, 03:14 PM
After taking in all of the signings, potential signings, and all. I have to ask the question, do we need to be stacked at every single position to win the SB in this league?

Think about it. The Pats won the SB without a running game. The bucs won without an offense. The Rams one 2 without a defense.

If you think about it, if DT is the ONLY position on our team that isn't pro bowl material, we should be ok.

We will have a top 10 Offense.
We will have a top 10 Defense.

People will not run on us like last year. It cant get worse than last year. And we have upgraded quite a few people.

If we get a solid cover FS, I think we will be just fine.

I also think that we as bills fans have been losing sight of what it actually takes to win a SB.

It does not require a probowl player at every position, just a solid team all over.

Thoughts?

Brian H
03-20-2003, 03:18 PM
I agree,I think we don't have to have a perfect puzzle just a puzzle that fits and can compete with the rest.....

Bruce is Loose
03-20-2003, 03:55 PM
rams only won (check spelling) ONE superbowl.

Also, what makes you think we have a top 10 Defense? Sure, we have a top LB corps and a top CB corps. That is assuming that Posey is great (I doubt hes THAT much of an improvement over Newman - he hasnt shown to be that great in the past). We have one dominatnt player on the DL of four (only one other legitimate starter). Our safeties are far from stellar.

that makes a top 10 defense?

I think we are lucky if our D, as it is now, is in the top half the leauge. This will all change if we can get a quality DT. until then, we will be run all over. Takeo wont make all the difference himself.

venis2k1
03-20-2003, 04:20 PM
Cant really Awnswer this post until after the draft, and after June 1st.

Mr. Miyagi
03-20-2003, 04:29 PM
I agree with tanked. We need a pretty dang good DT to make our defense better. We also need another WR, let it be Marcus Robinson or whoever, to fill the void left by Price. Reed will be good, but I'm not sure if he's really ready to replace Price completely. Shaw may or may not make up the difference. But with so much $$ under the cap, why not max it out and buy as much as we can to get us as close as we can?

And we haven't even addressed potential injuries yet. Our depth isn't very good right now.

casdhf
03-20-2003, 06:41 PM
By the way...the Bucs have a pretty good offense

HenryRules
03-20-2003, 07:00 PM
I think we have a lot of potential pro bowlers, but as far as actual pro bowlers, we don't have too many. Bledsoe, Moulds, Henry, and Reuben are the only guys I can think of that have actually played in a pro bowl ... while coming close many times, I don't believe that Spikes has ever actually made it, same with Pat Williams. Our CBs, while being billed as possible pro bowlers before last year, failed to live up to that hype - although I think that had more to do with our pass rush than a lack of talent - so they're still mostly potential.

HenryRules
03-20-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by casdhf
By the way...the Bucs have a pretty good offense

And the Rams had one of the top defenses when they won the Super Bowl as well ... and a pretty good one when they lost in the final.

Voltron
03-20-2003, 07:55 PM
I think some are forgetting that when you improve the talent on the D or O the ones that didn't look so talented start to look better because the D or O on the other side is worried about the impact players. I think we will be in good shape. We do need to do something about a DT. I hope the rookies from last year have been working out A LOT in the off season.

As far as the O with 2 good blocking Tight ends and a REAL commitment to a running game we should be in decent shape.

I still say after June first we will see the puzzle pieces start to come together.

Seano
03-20-2003, 08:08 PM
I think TD has the right idea in the way he is building the D. We don't need to sign big names just because there big names. What we really need is to sign players at reasonable prices who are going to become big names(posey?). If TD doesn't think Sam Adams is worth that much than maybe he is not. He'll address DT in one way or another and I'll bet it is in a way that will allow him to address other problems next year without the cap kicking our but.

HenryRules
03-20-2003, 08:13 PM
Seano, I may be mistaken, but we should be in really good cap shape regardless next year ... it doesn't look like we should be cutting anyone after June 1, so we should end up having almost no dead cap next year (only people that we cut after this season and I can't think of anyone that fits into that category) - we'll have to re-sign Winfield if possible, but other than that, I can't think of too many pending free agents that we have either ... I don't think that we should overspend by any stretch of the imagination, but giving pro-bowl-DT-type money to a pro bowl DT, which is definitely not what we offered is not overspending IMO.

HenryRules
03-20-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Voltron
I think some are forgetting that when you improve the talent on the D or O the ones that didn't look so talented start to look better because the D or O on the other side is worried about the impact players.

I don't think we've improved our O at all ... we've lost a WR who produced #1-quality numbers and a TE who, while not useful in the offense, provided solid insurance in case a key receiver was injured. If anything, we're putting people on offense (Crosby, Reed) into roles with which they are unfamiliar ... a recipe for players to look less talented than before.

Defense all starts with the DL, so I don't think our CBs or LBs will look as good as they can until we address our DE/DT woes which I don't think we have.

Seano
03-20-2003, 08:34 PM
HR your totaly right , I just want to spend pro-bowl money on pro-bowl player not used to be pro-bowl players.