PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Robinson and Larry Centers Released!

The Spaz
03-20-2003, 03:29 PM
According to WNSA Radio the Bills have released Eddie Robinson and Larry Centers. On my own conclusion we may be close to signing Sam Adams and this was a way to cear up some money for him to sign here! Go Bills!

Brian H
03-20-2003, 03:31 PM
This means we got no freaking fullback anymore!!!!!

4thAndLong
03-20-2003, 03:33 PM
Crosby.

The Spaz
We need no stinking Fullback....lol;)! GO Bills!

XNOUGHT
WHY CENTERS!!!!

His presence will be very much missed.

The Bills should at least have kept him around since they dumped off Price.

I thought the Bills would have gotten him more involved to replace Price, but this is surprising.

4thAndLong
03-20-2003, 03:34 PM
I like the move personally. Centers is getting up there in age.

Crosby is finally (I hope) getting a shot to start...Wonder how good a receiver he is out of the backfield...We already know we can give different looks now, because Centers was a one demensional FB.

Brian H
03-20-2003, 03:35 PM
We just released a future Hall of famer and all you can say is Crosby? Who do you think is gonna watch Henry's behind? Our O line ??? come on this guy breaks records ........

4thAndLong
03-20-2003, 03:38 PM
Brian, who is gonna watch his back?

Centers was a mediocre blocker, the only thing he was was an extra receiver out of the backfield, and we didn't even utilize him out of it much...Centers wasn't a big part of the offense...And IMO Crosby will give Henry alot more production.

The Spaz
03-20-2003, 03:38 PM
I know Centers is a HOF bet we hardly used our FB's just like our TE's. I have no worries over this move unless we don't make a signing in a day or so!

LABillsFan
03-20-2003, 03:39 PM
I don't like the move especially when you consider how he steps up with a big play when his number is called. Reed will only be in his 2nd year and Shaw has to learn to adjust to a new QB. It seems Centers could of taken some pressure off those 2. He is a valuable person on and off the field.

The Natrix
03-20-2003, 03:39 PM
Centers should of been cut last year

Kelly The Dog
03-20-2003, 03:40 PM
We only need Crosby on third or fourth and short or near goal line. The Bills must figure, as I do, that Travis can be a 3 down back. He can block and catch, as proved last year. If this opensup some money for an explosive guy like MarTay or even Sam Adams, I am all for it.

4thAndLong
03-20-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
Centers should of been cut last year

Agreed, I didn't like the extension he got.

He's a great player, but he's getting up there in age and doesn't fit in good with our O. Good luck where ever you go Larry.

don137
The Bills are around 8 million under the cap before these moves. I wonder why this was not done earlier?

4thAndLong
Originally posted by Kelly The Dog
We only need Crosby on third or fourth and short or near goal line. The Bills must figure, as I do, that Travis can be a 3 down back. He can block and catch, as proved last year. If this opensup some money for an explosive guy like MarTay or even Sam Adams, I am all for it.

Crosby's a FB...He'd be Travis' lead blocker...

Brian H
03-20-2003, 03:42 PM
Larry Centers = Future Hall Of Famer,Larry Crosby= a no name as of yet! Maybe if he gets some more snaps he can make a name for himself but as of now he ain't nothing compared to Centers!

4thAndLong
03-20-2003, 03:42 PM
Right now he is better than Centers.

Centers is past his prime.

TedMock
03-20-2003, 03:44 PM
Don't forget how well Sammy Morris catches the ball. They could easily put him in there for those situations. I like Centers but I don't think it's a huge loss. Probably more so in the locker room than actually on the field. Somebody else has to step up now off the field.

Brian H
03-20-2003, 03:45 PM
How can you say that?????? Crosby is a no name for now compared to Centers.....

Brian H
03-20-2003, 03:45 PM
4th compare stats not age and tell me who is better please.......

4thAndLong
03-20-2003, 03:48 PM
Crosby barely played last year Brian.

Centers' stats weren't all that great either.

Crosby is a better blocker, and we need a power running game, if he can catch out of the backfield that's a huge plus.

As Ted said too we could always put Sammy back there too.

ct bills fan
03-20-2003, 03:49 PM
Maybe Centers didn't like his role in the offense and asked to be released? Buffalo didn't need the cap space - they had plenty to sign anyone they wanted before these 2 cuts.

The Natrix
03-20-2003, 03:51 PM
Brian, why is age irrelevant?

Would you trade Moulds for Rice? Give it up dude, this was a good move.

THATHURMANATOR
03-20-2003, 03:56 PM
Centers didn't play all that much last year and he can't block. I am not too upset he is gone!

Bruce is Loose
03-20-2003, 03:57 PM
Centers was solid enough - no reason to cut him till we needed the cap room IMHO

Gunzlingr
03-20-2003, 03:58 PM
I don't necessarily think we need a "name", we need somebody that plays hard, and gets the job done- which Centers really hasn't done this last season.

The Spaz
03-20-2003, 03:59 PM
We need the cap room for Sam Adams come on down big guy if the price is now right for you! Go Bills!

AndyC34
03-20-2003, 04:05 PM
Centers did nothing last year to warrent his return. He had less rushing yards than DREW (57 and 2 TD's), and His receiving stats dropped off to 388 yards with no TD's. He doesn't provide half the blocking skills of Crosby, is getting to the end of his career, and costs the bills $700,000 more the Crosby. Eventhough it is a loss of leadership and a future HOF player, his role is not a priority to Tom and Gregg's plans, and they may look to the draft for depth at FB.

They are clearing the way for a big FA signing I would assume!

Brian H
03-20-2003, 04:11 PM
Well,how much cap room did we just free up Clump????

venis2k1
03-20-2003, 04:15 PM
Cutting larry was solid, but cutting Robinson was genious...

Schobel94
03-20-2003, 04:16 PM
We're not using the money for Adams, thats not how TD plays his game, he isn't gonna give into Adams' demands. Adams is gone unless he comes groveling back to TD's feet for the origional contract once he finds out no one's gonna pay him his money.

venis2k1
03-20-2003, 04:18 PM
Robinson is useless, and Centers was very overpaid for his production, that is why they were cut IMO...but why is Watson still here?

Mr. Miyagi
03-20-2003, 04:21 PM
Cut cut cut. Time to cut the dead weight.

I like the move. Watson will be next. He has done nothing to prove himself.

BFBills
03-20-2003, 04:21 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=171294&dsp=press (the link):jump: yey!

RedEyE
03-20-2003, 04:32 PM
I'm not at all happy about losing Centers. His presence on the field alone is enough to distract the best defenses. This is a bad choice IMO. Too many changes will create a more difficult road to ultimate team cohesion. Many fail to realize that it's not just talent that wins games. Team chemistry is vital to winning. Bad choice.

BillsNYC
03-20-2003, 04:42 PM
thank ****** GOD that robinson is gone!

although i'm not as happy about the centers cut. i think he would have been very valuable on 3rd downs this year and is somebody that played balls out the whole time he was here. i am curious to see how crosby handles his new duties and hope larry ends up somewhere and does well.....except an afc east team of course!

Voltron
03-20-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Brian H
Larry Centers = Future Hall Of Famer,Larry Crosby= a no name as of yet! Maybe if he gets some more snaps he can make a name for himself but as of now he ain't nothing compared to Centers!

His name is Philip Crosby Brian H!

Do some research man ;)

Brian H
03-20-2003, 05:34 PM
Thats my point hes a no name lol

Voltron
03-20-2003, 05:40 PM
OK Brian just for fun. Name me 5 Big named Full backs?

And you can't include Centers or Alstot

;)

Voltron
03-20-2003, 05:41 PM
Hell you could include them I guess cause that is only 2 :D

4thAndLong
03-20-2003, 05:46 PM
And Alstott is considered a RB.

Some I can think of...(others)

Henderson (GB), Neal (SD), Schleisenberg (sp, Det)...That would make 5 including the other two...

;)

Voltron
03-20-2003, 05:48 PM
Well it wouldn't if Alstot is considered a running back.

he he

I bet It was hard to come up with that list though 4th :)

Be truthfull did you have to go out and look up names? I did remember that Det. had a decent full back and Neal slipped my mind. You just don't hear a lot about the FB because they are always making holes for the RBs to score points.

Brian H
03-20-2003, 05:54 PM
I can come up with 6!

Tatonka
03-20-2003, 06:20 PM
richie, neal, gash, strong, schleshenger, anderson (denver), anderson (dallas),

and for the life of me i cant think of miami's fb, but he is solid.

Romes
03-20-2003, 06:27 PM
konrad

Brian H
03-20-2003, 06:45 PM
:bf1: Tatonka

HenryRules
03-20-2003, 06:55 PM
These cuts leave me with 3 questions ...

1 - Who are our backup OLB's? While certainly inadequate as a starter, Robinson would have been nice to have around as a backup.

2 - Who is going to teach our young RB's how to play? Centers productivity certainly dropped, but there's no RB to play a role similar to the Moulds-to-Price (now Moulds-to-Reed) role.

3 - Who are we going to spend all this money on? If we're not going to spend it on anyone then why not keep the guys on as backups (well, Robinson I can understand because he said he didn't want to be here as a backup so letting him go was a classy move and prevented a locker room problem from occuring)

Voltron
03-20-2003, 07:33 PM
Well you knew more than I could pick out of my head. Here is another question. Do you think Centers NOW as is is in the same leage as any of those guys when it comes to being an all around Full back? yes that means blocking recieving AND holding off rushers.

RedEyE
03-20-2003, 08:00 PM
It's well known that Centers blocking abilities are not his strong point, but he'll be taken with him his recieving skills. Since the dismissal of Jay R and the trade involving Peerless, and now this release of Centers, the Bills passing game is vulnarable. Yes Crosby can block, but he can't catch worth a lick. Centers provides that extra essence in the passing game that makes a LB think twice about leaving him to pursue the QB. The Bills really could have used his abilities this season. I now feel as if the O side of the ball has been diluted, and the defense has only been minimally strengthed. The DL is still the same POS that it was last season and there is still a lack of depth in the secondary. Drew needs that dump off man - he is a strong legged, screen play maker. Centers was under used last season and now foolishly dismissed this season. The money was available to retain him. It makes little sense to me why he was released. Reed is going to have some big shoes to fill in liu of Price's absence, but now he has to fill those shoes with even less weapons then Price had last year. I'm very disappointed and I'm begining to second guess the movements that the Bills have made thus far. Takeo - great / Posey - great / McKineney - lateral / Shaw - Special teams / Lindell - gamble (his #s in 2001 sucked) / Jay R - cap casuality / Price - necessary to beef D / no DT - no secondary enhancements - then weaken the O more by dumping a rcv threat FB like Centers. Bad choice IMO. Dyson is gone, Adams isn't coming, Jenkins has no interest, all other prime FAs are signed. The draft will offer no help because the Bills are not in the drafting position to get immediate help. All draftees will be upcoming talent. On top of everything else it's going to take some time to for the new Bills to find cohesion. Meaning, defeating solid teams will be difficult to unlikely. It usually takes a year or two to meld such a new group of players. Centers should have stayed. Just my opinion.

TacklingDummy
03-20-2003, 08:20 PM
I remember starting a thread last week saying we should cut Centers. Im glad TD listened to me and did it.