PDA

View Full Version : If the music city miracle never happened, do we make the SB in 1999?

Mitchy moo
08-17-2007, 09:45 PM
We had a pretty good team that year and the Titans snatched one away from us. Would we have made the SB that year had we beat them and closed that game out??

Looking at the stats, we had a killer D and could run the ball.

Team Offense

|---------- PASSING -----------||----- RUSHING -----| TOTAL CMP ATT YD YPA TD INT ATT YD YPA TD YD 290 513 3478 6.78 21 16 519 2040 3.93 12 5518NFL rank (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/rank.htm) ---> 22 24 22 15 15 11 2 8 19 15 12</PRE>Team Defense

|---------- PASSING -----------||----- RUSHING -----| TOTAL CMP ATT YD YPA TD INT ATT YD YPA TD YD 269 506 2889 5.71 12 12 407 1370 3.37 9 4259NFL rank (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/rank.htm) ---> 3 7 1 3 2 28 9 4 3 11 1</PRE>

Devin
08-17-2007, 09:47 PM
I dont believe so, but I think we make it to the conference game.

TacklingDummy
08-17-2007, 09:47 PM
If Johnson never happened we would have made the Super Bowl even with the Kick return for a TD.

Goobylal
08-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Nope, because the O-line was decimated. And Flutie was figured-out so he wouldn't have done much (just look at his record with the Chargers).

TacklingDummy
08-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Nope, because the O-line was decimated. And Flutie was figured-out so he wouldn't have done much (just look at his record with the Chargers).

The Bills were not the Chargers. The Chargers have nothing to do with that Bills team.

Mitchy moo
08-17-2007, 09:54 PM
The Bills were not the Chargers. The Chargers have nothing to do with that Bills team.

TD is right, SD had nothing on the Bills that season. The Bills closed out strong and played well.

gil
08-17-2007, 09:55 PM
good lord, why go there?

we could put out a thousand "ifs" about the bills over the years - personally, I'm tired of "ifs" - it's time to get a freaking team that we never have any more of those.

jamze132
08-17-2007, 10:00 PM
If Scott Norwood made that field goal, would we win that Super Bowl? Who know's? There were a few seconds left on the clock.

Typ0
08-17-2007, 10:02 PM
If Johnson never happened we would have made the Super Bowl even with the Kick return for a TD.

when RJ left the field with a few seconds left we were in the lead. We can only speculate but I think we had a very good chance of making the SB. I think our players believed that's where they were going and that's a big part of it.

Goobylal
08-17-2007, 10:02 PM
Flutie showed with the Chargers that he was only as good as the team around him. And by the end of the Titans game, the Bills had lost several O-linemen and defenders. They weren't going to beat the Colts the following weekend on the road.

Typ0
08-17-2007, 10:08 PM
Flutie showed with the Chargers that he was only as good as the team around him. And by the end of the Titans game, the Bills had lost several O-linemen and defenders. They weren't going to beat the Colts the following weekend on the road.

Flutie was only good for a few weeks and he's already played too much that season. It amazes me how the Futile flakes still wine and complain about that. He could never throw down the middle of the field so there was no threat there and his ability to throw down the sides went downhill with his arm. Maybe he was fun and exciting to watch but he was never going to take us to the promise land.

gil
08-17-2007, 10:35 PM
wow, off topic, but holy cow, Skooby, how did you get back in the green?

!Papacrunk!
08-18-2007, 03:18 AM
Skooby--aren't you missing "+ rep thread" at the end of this thread title?

Crisis
08-18-2007, 04:13 AM
WHO CARES. IT WAS LIKE 8 YEARS AGO. LET IT GO.

RedEyE
08-18-2007, 04:26 AM
wow, off topic, but holy cow, Skooby, how did you get back in the green?

Quanity not quality.

TacklingDummy
08-18-2007, 04:43 AM
Flutie was only good for a few weeks and he's already played too much that season. It amazes me how the Futile flakes still wine and complain about that. He could never throw down the middle of the field so there was no threat there and his ability to throw down the sides went downhill with his arm. Maybe he was fun and exciting to watch but he was never going to take us to the promise land.

And Johnsonites still amaze me.

Albany,n.y.
08-18-2007, 08:04 AM
Answer: No
Reason: Rob Johnson was the starter in that game and would have started & played the remainig playoff games (unless he got hurt again). Just look at Johnson's career-he always played best off layoffs or after a bye week. Once he played a game or two in a row, his productivity went way down. He couldn't hold up either physically or mentally (make your own choice, the record speaks for itself) more than 1 or 2 games before his play sunk to unacceptable (especially for the playoffs) depths, even when he wasn't injured. To think that he would have played well enough 2 weeks in a row in the playoffs to lead the Bills to the Super Bowl, one would have to disregard his entire career record which we have the hindsight of studying and properly answering this question in 2007.

Generalissimus Gibby
08-18-2007, 08:14 AM
No, Jacksonville was too good that year. 14-2 and it says a lot for them that their only two losses came against the same team.

Typ0
08-18-2007, 08:56 AM

I'm not a johnsonite...we didn't know what we had in him. We knew what we had in Futile and it wasn't going anywhere except driving a wedge between the team.

justasportsfan
08-18-2007, 09:03 AM
let me simplify things for everyone here. Flutie played like crap but we usually won. robosack looked decent on the field but usually lost. Let's not get into details of how and why but that was the case. With the midget, plain and simple ,we just won.

Typ0
08-18-2007, 10:31 AM
let me simplify things for everyone here. Flutie played like crap but we usually won. robosack looked decent on the field but usually lost. Let's not get into details of how and why but that was
the case. With the midget, plain and simple ,we just won.

Listen, I was a season ticket holder back then...ergo I was a better fan and my word is god.

ublinkwescore
08-18-2007, 02:00 PM
I still to this day think that if we weren't robbed in that game, and we would have put Flutie back in for the next game (not sure who we would have played since we would have been the lower seed - Jacksonville or Indy - and Miami would have played the other - Miami would have played Jacksonville now that I think about it - they were our *****es that year too) - I really think we could have made it to the superbowl, and we should have played the Bucs that year because the Bucs got robbed when playing the Rams in the NFC Championship - it would have been a Defensive Superbowl - with the winner maybe getting some of the hype that the Ravens and Bucs Superbowl D's drew. I think we would have beaten the Bucs because we had just a tad more O, and a better D.

ublinkwescore
08-18-2007, 02:03 PM

How in the hell do you know that?

We were starting to play our best football, and the Titans went on the road and beat Indy in Indy - if we could beat Tennesee in Tenn. why is it so far-fetched that we could beat the Colts in the RCA dome?

ublinkwescore
08-18-2007, 02:05 PM

Wow, you're actually a pretty good poster when you're serious.

too bad it's kinda hard to tell when you're serious and when you're not.

But I know you like JP.

Typ0
08-18-2007, 02:18 PM
I still to this day think that if we weren't robbed in that game, and we would have put Flutie back in for the next game (not sure who we would have played since we would have been the lower seed - Jacksonville or Indy - and Miami would have played the other - Miami would have played Jacksonville now that I think about it - they were our *****es that year too) - I really think we could have made it to the superbowl, and we should have played the Bucs that year because the Bucs got robbed when playing the Rams in the NFC Championship - it would have been a Defensive Superbowl - with the winner maybe getting some of the hype that the Ravens and Bucs Superbowl D's drew. I think we would have beaten the Bucs because we had just a tad more O, and a better D.

so you're saying if MCM didn't happen the Bucs would have beaten the Rams?

Oaf
08-18-2007, 03:28 PM
I was just going to post that lol..

I became an avid Bills fan during the 1996 season. I have never witnessed the Buffalo Bills winning a single playoff game. THe upset to Jacksonville, the thriller at Miami, the Music City Miracle, and the rest is history.

Oaf
08-18-2007, 03:28 PM
BTW, cute baby Typo!

Typ0
08-18-2007, 03:51 PM
BTW, cute baby Typo!

Thanks!

bills_7
08-18-2007, 04:17 PM
i almost stoped watching bills football aftr flutie got screwed.. but here i am still having hope... and for me to be that mad is crazy seeing as how much i love the bills.. he got screwed and so did the bills.. we would have won teh damn superbowl

bills_7
08-18-2007, 04:17 PM
the year b4 we should have won too but moulds fumlbled on a crucial play agaisnt miami i believe

BleedinGreenNC
08-18-2007, 04:18 PM
If your aunt had balls she would be your uncle, never know what would have happened.

justasportsfan
08-18-2007, 04:51 PM
the MCM was all Ralphy's fault. If he didn't meddle with football decisions, Flutie would've been the qb. Maybe we would've won or maybe not. Stats show that we had a better chance with him instead of Robosack.

ublinkwescore
08-19-2007, 10:54 PM
so you're saying if MCM didn't happen the Bucs would have beaten the Rams?

No, I'm saying the Bucs got screwed in that NFC Championship game because they got called for some BS call, or the rams got away with murder in the secondary - I can't remember exactly how it went - but there was a BS call or non-call in one of the teams' secondary's - that clearly went the Rams' way. I think the Bucs were about to get into field goal range (wasn't the score like 12-10 Rams?) and some bucs reciever got mugged by St. Louis secondary players but didn't get a PI call - the Bucs could very possibly have won it by a score of 17-10 - to hold the Rams offense to only 12 points was quite an accomplishment - that year anyways.

ublinkwescore
08-19-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm also saying, with our D that year, I think we could have gave the rams O fits.

and the Rams D that year wasn't anything to be proud of, wasn't that the first year a team without both a top ten O and D won the superbowl - they only had the top 10 O.

mikemac2001
08-20-2007, 12:48 AM
Damn if i didnt get so drunk last night i might have banged those twins

http://www.evil-paintball.com/images/twin1.jpg