PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts

jmb1099
08-18-2007, 05:11 AM
Just a few thoughts about the game last night since I can't really sleep anyway
1) Losman looked less than impressive. I know its only preseason and I know the wind was a factor, but his timing was off and his passes were not accurate at all. He has trouble trusting his line and staying in the pocket although at times he had good reason to move. He held the ball too long on a number of occasions as well.
Trent Edwards looked good in many regards, but he played a very Holcomb like game. Still he showed the ability to improvise, he didn't seem to panic, made some decent throws and made some decent reads. I realize he played against scrubs but he played well.
2) O line looked ok for the most part. Preston as center should never happen again but it is preseason. A lot of the pressure on the QB's came from the left or the middle. Walker looked pretty decent to me and seemed to play for the entire play. Dockery and Peters seem to still be working out some kinks between the two of them.
3) RB: Lynch showed flashes of what he is capable of. He is very strong and seems to hit full throttle with 2 steps all the while still being able to cut and shift. He's tough too, he took a monster hit to the leg and looked like he might be hurt but he brushed it off and continued to play. Wright was in against some scrubs but looked good when given the chance. Jackson... he's ok I guess. He made a few plays but there's just something missing. Atrain did ok as well but got Losman killed on a missed blitz pick up. Shaud Williams is still around because the man does not take a single second off. He's not good and he won't make the team, but if his talent matched his passion he'd be a beast.
4) Receivers: The pass between Evans and Losman was all Evans. Peerless is lazy and made no effort. If I was Jauron I'd cut him just to make an example of him. Josh Reed doesn't take any plays off. Parrish is a serious threat... he's small and will more than likely get killed out there someday, but until he does he is going to continue to be a very viable weapon.
Defense: Just a few notes here:
1) A healthy McCargo is going to be very good. He showed signs of what he should be able to expect from him in the future. He was able to get decent pressure and was around the ball more often than not. He and Hargrove work well together.
I haven't bought a Bills Jersey in some time, but last night I bought a Puz Jersey. He is the real deal and if he continues to play the way he has will win defensive rookie of the year with very little problem. That being said I should have bought a Whitner Jersey as well. Wow was it good to have him back. In my opinion Whitner and Poz are going to be an amazing combination against the run this year.
Hit of the night goes to Coy Wire, he may have actually found his niche as a LB, we will see
Other than that a very sloppy game, very unimpressed with the lack of discipline this week. But it is only week 2 of preseason so there you go I guess.

shelby
08-18-2007, 06:49 AM
Hit of the night goes to Coy Wire, he may have actually found his niche as a LB, we will see

:up::bf1:

Thanks for your thoughts...i didn't get to see the game.

Do you feel the D looked better than the O last night?

Night Train
08-18-2007, 07:19 AM
Game on this morning at 10am EST on NFL Network.

DL did not look good as a unit on that opening series. I thought McCargo, who came in later, looked very good. Beating his man all night.

Hey Shelby and other Coy Wire fans. He was outstanding at LB last night. Greer had another top game. I'd start him over Webster. Poz looked great. Lynch played little but his 9 yard gain was impressive.

Duke Preston may be cut. He screwed up snaps, was called for a few false starts and was beat on many plays. Quickly thrown back to Guard, which he can't play. Jauron in the post game " We really need to get Mel ( Fowler ) back in there " . God, does he suck. I thought Whittle played very well at RG. He's the starter. Get Preston off the field.

I still see the DL stopping the run as the big problem on this team. I believe we're fine on Offense but may need another Draft to shore up the DL. LB's are fast and the secondary is better than many believe.

It could be a long year if they don't solve the run stopping issue but let's give it a chance.

Nice shorts arms again, Peerless. What a pussy.

shelby
08-18-2007, 07:42 AM
Sweet, i will watch the game at 10...just to see Wire:drool:
Thanks NT!

HHURRICANE
08-18-2007, 08:03 AM
1) Coy Wire was impressive. Best player on the field.

2) WTF!!!That pass to price was a TD. He did not want to get hit. Rewatch the play. That was 7 points. He should be cut. I'd rather have Aiken.

3) Duke Preston's "natural position" is center. Cut him. Another ****ty draft pick by TD.

4) MCCargo gets props. He looked better and appears to be drinking alot of slim fast shakes.

5) Hargrove is a keeper even with his issues. No sacks but lots of pressure.

6) We should have never resigned Kelsay. He's not worth the money.

7) Gravity does not work in Lynch's world. He's going to be great.

8) Our o-line still needs help but Whittle won the RG job. He was good. Preston is definately the weak link on the line.

9) No more *****ing about Larry Tripplett. He's not the problem and he never was.

jmb1099
08-18-2007, 08:10 AM
:up::bf1:

Thanks for your thoughts...i didn't get to see the game.

Do you feel the D looked better than the O last night?
Yes

justasportsfan
08-18-2007, 08:43 AM

2) WTF!!!That pass to price was a TD. He did not want to get hit. Rewatch the play. That was 7 points. He should be cut. I'd rather have Aiken.

3) Duke Preston's "natural position" is center. Cut him. Another ****ty draft pick by TD.

4) MCCargo gets props. He looked better and appears to be drinking alot of slim fast shakes.

8) Our o-line still needs help but Whittle won the RG job. He was good. Preston is definately the weak link on the line.

9) No more *****ing about Larry Tripplett. He's not the problem and he never was.

cut this and that guy and Lynch will be great based on preseason? You must've thought Robosack was going to the HOF based on camp and preseason.

If you take away Lynch's longest run...he stinks ..... :ill:

HHURRICANE
08-18-2007, 08:46 AM
cut this and that guy and Lynch will be great based on preseason? You must've thought Robosack was going to the HOF based on camp and preseason.

This was by far your dumbest post. I believe the thread is called "game thoughts."

HHURRICANE
08-18-2007, 08:54 AM

By the way, did you watch the game yet? It's 9:50AM, sounds like you have 10 minutes before you can even comment in this thread.

justasportsfan
08-18-2007, 08:59 AM
This was by far your dumbest post. I believe the thread is called "game thoughts."

So based on game(1) thoughts people should be cut?

Compared to you asking for people to be cut based on preseason , it's not as dumb.

HHURRICANE
08-18-2007, 09:06 AM
So based on game(1) thoughts people should be cut?

Compared to you asking for people to be cut based on preseason , it's not as dumb.

You do realize that pre-season is when players get cut. Did you watch the play of Preston and Price?

I'm not going to get engaged in a Justa "jack the thread" firefight with you. So I'm not responding to anything else you post here.

Have a wonderful day.

Wys Guy
08-18-2007, 09:11 AM
4) Receivers: The pass between Evans and Losman was all Evans.

If you watch all of the deep passes from JP to Evans last season too, you'll notice the same thing. The number of times that Evans was either underthrown or where he had to come back across the field, of what, like 7 TDs, was remarkable.

Only perhaps two of those were great throws right on timing wise.

Evans is that good. I'm still not sold on JP. His short performance last night just wasn't very good. It wasn't bad, it just still reflected that it needs a lot of work. If he can't master that, he's never going to amount to much more than a QB capable of making big plays but incapable of leading a team down the field on a sustained drive. The latter is the more desired type of QB if one had to choose between the two.

justasportsfan
08-18-2007, 09:14 AM
You do realize that pre-season is when players get cut. Did you watch the play of Preston and Price?

I'm not going to get engaged in a Justa "jack the thread" firefight with you. So I'm not responding to anything else you post here.

Have a wonderful day.

so based on 1 preseason game, bench Losman and start Edwards. Brilliant.

Wys Guy
08-18-2007, 09:14 AM

That's saying quite a bit!

:D

patmoran2006
08-18-2007, 09:34 AM

I agree with everything you said, except for Tripplett. Dont get me wrong, there are far bigger problems than him, but he's not playing like he's an asset.

Overall, I do agree with your views.

Goobylal
08-18-2007, 09:50 AM
The problem with the offense last year night was Preston at center, the penalties, the wind, and the effort, or lack thereof, from some players.

Philagape
08-18-2007, 10:00 AM
Preston and Price should be cut because what they're doing now is pretty much what they've done for most of their careers. The question is not whether they should be cut, but why should they not be cut?

Philagape
08-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Preston is approaching Tim Anderson suck level, and Price's one year in his one-year wonder career is now five years ago.

ublinkwescore
08-18-2007, 11:00 AM
Who scored our first TD last night?

I am watching the replay on NFL Network right now, but I jumped in the shower during halftime, and didn't get out until we kicked off after the TD.

footballhottie
08-18-2007, 11:01 AM
I didnt watch i was to drunk are we going to the superbowl? check yes or no

Goobylal
08-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Parrish.

TedMock
08-18-2007, 11:10 AM
I suggest everybody go back and look at the pass to Evans. Evans made a great adjustment and he's a total stud. I'm not discounting any of that. However, the pass by Losman was not what many think it is. Losman had two choices: Throw it ahead of Evans and hope the pass is perfect or throw it behind him and hope he can adjust. The difference? Throwing it behind him meant he was the only player who had a chance at it. Throwing it over his head gave the safety a very legit shot at the ball. If go back and watch, you'll see the safety has come over and is actually in a decent position to make a play had the ball been thrown "accurately."

I'm not saying Losman was good last night - he wasn't. Maybe the underthrow was really just a bad throw and we got lucky that it ended up in the right place. Either way, sometimes a QB must put the ball in bad spots in order to make the play. Again, I'm not defendng Losman as he looked bad overall last night (actually, I watched it this morning).

DraftBoy
08-18-2007, 11:53 AM
I suggest everybody go back and look at the pass to Evans. Evans made a great adjustment and he's a total stud. I'm not discounting any of that. However, the pass by Losman was not what many think it is. Losman had two choices: Throw it ahead of Evans and hope the pass is perfect or throw it behind him and hope he can adjust. The difference? Throwing it behind him meant he was the only player who had a chance at it. Throwing it over his head gave the safety a very legit shot at the ball. If go back and watch, you'll see the safety has come over and is actually in a decent position to make a play had the ball been thrown "accurately."

I'm not saying Losman was good last night - he wasn't. Maybe the underthrow was really just a bad throw and we got lucky that it ended up in the right place. Either way, sometimes a QB must put the ball in bad spots in order to make the play. Again, I'm not defendng Losman as he looked bad overall last night (actually, I watched it this morning).

I agree on the assessment of the play, Im not sure if that was the intended placement on the pass or not, but its the only place he could of put it and Evans was going to get it. He throws it deep and the Safety is going to pick it off. Good analysis.

ScottLawrence
08-18-2007, 12:05 PM
If you watch all of the deep passes from JP to Evans last season too, you'll notice the same thing. The number of times that Evans was either underthrown or where he had to come back across the field, of what, like 7 TDs, was remarkable.

Only perhaps two of those were great throws right on timing wise.

Evans is that good. I'm still not sold on JP. His short performance last night just wasn't very good. It wasn't bad, it just still reflected that it needs a lot of work. If he can't master that, he's never going to amount to much more than a QB capable of making big plays but incapable of leading a team down the field on a sustained drive. The latter is the more desired type of QB if one had to choose between the two.

Exactly my feelings as well.

He is one of the best deep ball QB's in the league, but in the other aspects of the position he is below average thus far in his career.

Oaf
08-18-2007, 03:05 PM
1) Coy Wire was impressive. Best player on the field. Although Impressive, I wouldn't say best player on the field. That was easily Whitner for the 1st D, with Poz coming in a close 2nd. For the 2nd D, it was Hargrove, Greer, and then Wire IMO.

2) WTF!!!That pass to price was a TD. He did not want to get hit. Rewatch the play. That was 7 points. He should be cut. I'd rather have Aiken. If Aiken can show he can make plays in games and is given opportunities then sure. Until then, we're stuck w/ Price. That play you spoke was CLEARLY not on Price. It was a bad throw, worsened with the wind. He was open, streaking forwards and somehow couldn't dive backwards and sideways 5 feet instantly.

3) Duke Preston's "natural position" is center. Cut him. Another ****ty draft pick by TD. DP's natural position is bench warmer, or at best 2nd string RG.

4) MCCargo gets props. He looked better and appears to be drinking alot of slim fast shakes. It was GREAT to see him making some plays for the first time.

5) Hargrove is a keeper even with his issues. No sacks but lots of pressure. He actually had a sack and forced fumble. Always disruptive, and easily a keeper.

6) We should have never resigned Kelsay. He's not worth the money. %100 agreed. He's worth half what he got, and Hargrove is worth twice what he's being paid.

7) Gravity does not work in Lynch's world. He's going to be great. Agreed.

8) Our o-line still needs help but Whittle won the RG job. He was good. Preston is definately the weak link on the line. How was Whittle? I couldn't tell how he did. Preston bites.

jmb1099
08-18-2007, 05:48 PM
I want Losman to succeed but I was there last night and with the wind like it was there is no way the ball was "placed" where it landed. Believe me I'm not suggesting that Losman get benched cut, or anything really, its preseason. But I have to be honest with what I say and what I saw was not impressive, not at all. I will say this... I believe he will perform much better come game time.