PDA

View Full Version : Coy Wire gets props from bb.com...

shelby
08-18-2007, 07:29 AM
This does my heart good, i wish i could have seen the game....

Also impressive defensively was Coy Wire filling in at the strong side linebacker position for Angelo Crowell. Wire single-handedly made sure Atlanta's first possession of the second quarter would be a short one.
On first down he stuffed Snelling off right tackle for no gain. The next play Wire drilled Snelling after a short completion over the middle to force a fumble which was snared out of the air by John McCargo at the Falcons' 37-yard line. It led to Buffalo's first points of the night and a 3-0 advantage on a 48-yard Rian Lindell field goal.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=5083
:jig:

Perhaps he will be a good LB after all?

Night Train
08-18-2007, 07:34 AM
I was there. Wire played great all night.

ZacGriffi~82
08-18-2007, 07:45 AM
Yeah, he really played great.

Yasgur's Farm
08-18-2007, 07:50 AM
I've always thought Wire has a role on this team... His critics are those who expect something other than what he is... A solid baller!

HHURRICANE
08-18-2007, 07:53 AM
I've been Wire's biggest critic, and it is just one game, but his play was impressive. He might have been the best Bill on the field last night.

Shelby, I even posted it in the game thread last night. Not the official one, the other one.

G. Host
08-18-2007, 08:12 AM
Too bad whomever posted article summary on BZ front page did not post this snip:

Also impressive defensively was Coy Wirehttp://www.buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=5083#) filling in at the strong side linebacker position for Angelo Crowellhttp://www.buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=5083#). Wire single-handedly made sure Atlanta's first possession of the second quarter would be a short one.

On first down he stuffed Snelling off right tackle for no gain. The next play Wire drilled Snelling after a short completion over the middle to force a fumble which was snared out of the air by John McCargohttp://www.buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=5083#) at the Falcons' 37-yard line. It led to Buffalo's first points of the night and a 3-0 advantage on a 48-yard Rian Lindellhttp://www.buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=5083#) field goal.

Whomever posted the snip must not be a Coy Wire fan. :D

Wys Guy
08-18-2007, 08:22 AM
I've been Wire's biggest critic, and it is just one game, but his play was impressive. He might have been the best Bill on the field last night.

Yeah, but the way to look at that is as more of an anomaly. We know what Wire is and can bring.

He's 28/29 this season, his 6th. He's smallish for a LB, slow for a DB.

This should be viewed as what it was, a good game against a not-so great cast of offensive players.

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but if we're relying on an uptick in Wire's play for our hopes this season, we're sunk. Which we may already be anyway. This is among the worst Bills teams I've ever seen on all sides.

No DL worth even discussing, Schobel on edge of fading.
OL is underperforming once again. Again, why is McNally still employed by the team?!
Losman still struggling in the short game.
Lynch, while in every likelihood better than McGahee, still a victim of erratic OL play, at best. 8 run, 9 run, -1, -2.
The sum total of our offensive success is once again deep balls down the left sideline to Evans. Hmmm, I wonder how long it's going to take DC's to figure that out. Ooops! Shhhhh....
Opposing receivers wide open all over the field.

Go Mountaineers! : ]

HHURRICANE
08-18-2007, 08:29 AM
Yeah, but the way to look at that is as more of an anomaly. We know what Wire is and can bring.

He's 28/29 this season, his 6th. He's smallish for a LB, slow for a DB.

This should be viewed as what it was, a good game against a not-so great cast of offensive players.

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but if we're relying on an uptick in Wire's play for our hopes this season, we're sunk. Which we may already be anyway. This is among the worst Bills teams I've ever seen on all sides.

OL is underperforming once again. Again, why is McNally still employed by the team?!
Lynch, while in every likelihood better than McGahee, still a victim of erratic OL play, at best. 8 run, 9 run, -1, -2.
The sum total of our offensive success is once again deep balls down the left sideline to Evans. Hmmm, I wonder how long it's going to take DC's to figure that out. Ooops! Shhhhh....

Go Mountaineers! : ]

I have a different view on Coy Wire. Yes, I have seen plenty of players have a lucky game, Denney comes to mind.

What I saw from Wire was speed and leverage. He can deliver a vicious hit. Fletcher was slower and more of a tackler. Wire isn't afraid to use his body.

I definately saw something there that was beyond just having a good game.

HHURRICANE
08-18-2007, 08:34 AM

]

1) Losman's touch pass looks like it always has. That's legit.

2) It is preseason so I'm sure we aren't rolling out a complex offense. However, JP better have more than Evans on his mind or he is going to have tons of picks. Price's non-catch was embarrassing.

3) Our O-line's weak link is definately Preston. Brad Butler needs to get healthy fast.

4) I would like to see McCargo and Tripplet playing together before I throw in the towel. But I agree that behind them is **** on a stick.

Typ0
08-18-2007, 10:33 AM
At least maybe Wire will for a turnover or two amongst the dozen or so TDs he gives up.

shelby
08-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Argh...haters:mad:

RedEyE
08-18-2007, 11:08 AM
It was a great game and the guy has put on some decent size this off season. He's been working really hard and it showed last night. He throws his body at players like a SS and just anihialated Snelling last night.

I've always admired players with heart and Wire is certainly one of those guys. Give me team of Coy Wire's over a team of talent waisting schmucks like TO anyday.

Michael82
08-18-2007, 11:16 AM
I was also very impressed with Coy Wire out there. He had a nose for the ball and made a few huge plays. Plus like he does on special teams, he hits you like a ****ing Mack truck! :clap:

TigerJ
08-18-2007, 11:16 AM
It looks to me as if Wire was misscast as a safety all this time. He's a linebacker, pure and simple. Yes he's smallish, but that's not supposed to be such a huge handicap in the Tampa 2. It also would not surprise me if he could put on another few pounds next offseason and play at 233-235. He's not going to be a starter, but if he is a solid depth player, that's not a bad thing to have.

Typ0
08-18-2007, 11:22 AM
Argh...haters:mad:

ha ha same old drivel. Atl did not prepare to be playing against Coy Wire it's preseason...great chance for him to look good. As soon as a real game comes along they will change the play and throw it right over his head I've seen it too many times to just sit here and think the world is suddenly spinning in a different direction. Have fun watching preseason football folks it may be the last fun you have all season!

Night Train
08-18-2007, 12:50 PM
It looks to me as if Wire was misscast as a safety all this time. He's a linebacker, pure and simple. Yes he's smallish, but that's not supposed to be such a huge handicap in the Tampa 2. It also would not surprise me if he could put on another few pounds next offseason and play at 233-235. He's not going to be a starter, but if he is a solid depth player, that's not a bad thing to have.

On the post game radio show, he said he's up to 230 lbs.

HHURRICANE
08-18-2007, 12:54 PM
ha ha same old drivel. Atl did not prepare to be playing against Coy Wire it's preseason...great chance for him to look good. As soon as a real game comes along they will change the play and throw it right over his head I've seen it too many times to just sit here and think the world is suddenly spinning in a different direction. Have fun watching preseason football folks it may be the last fun you have all season!

Coy Wire at LB is a different player than Coy Wire at SS.

Mr. Pink
08-18-2007, 01:01 PM
Today was the first time I've ever been happy with Coy Wire's play as a Buffalo Bill. He actually looked like he belonged on an NFL defense for a change. I'm still not completely sold on him, but things are looking positive for him and being able to contribute more than just special teams.

Meathead
08-18-2007, 01:01 PM
:lolpoint: coy haters

:rockout: *****es

ParanoidAndroid
08-18-2007, 01:57 PM
As long as he can take down RB's and cover TE's in space, he'll be fine as a back up. Two big plays in a row...can we just give him props and look forward to seeing more of that? Or should we **** all over everything all the time and ruin everyone's fun?

Ebenezer
08-18-2007, 02:01 PM
This does my heart good, i wish i could have seen the game....

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=5083
:jig:

Perhaps he will be a good LB after all?
he played very well Shelby...the only question is if he has the durability to be a LB...that being said, he will most likely be a backup and a competent one at that.

OpIv37
08-18-2007, 02:01 PM
I've always thought Wire has a role on this team... His critics are those who expect something other than what he is... A solid baller!

huh? Wire's been nothing but mediocre his entire career here. He makes a ST play on occasion and sucks whenever he's on the field at D. There is nothing to suggest he's a "solid baller".

That being said, he did play really well against Atlanta. He was always in the right spot and seems to have a good grasp on the D.

Ebenezer
08-18-2007, 02:02 PM
On the post game radio show, he said he's up to 230 lbs.
he doesn't look 230.

Typ0
08-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Coy Wire at LB is a different player than Coy Wire at SS.

True, but they can still force him into coverage and then take advantage of the fact that he can't cover.

Ebenezer
08-18-2007, 02:31 PM
True, but they can still force him into coverage and then take advantage of the fact that he can't cover.
I think the Bills know that and wouldn't put him in that kind of situation. Wire will be best in obvious run situations...I don't think he will be in any pass defense package.

ParanoidAndroid
08-18-2007, 02:31 PM

He can cover as well as any LB we have. He was inadequate as a safety in the deep backfield, but he can cover short space.

Yasgur's Farm
08-18-2007, 02:40 PM
huh? Wire's been nothing but mediocre his entire career here. He makes a ST play on occasion and sucks whenever he's on the field at D. There is nothing to suggest he's a "solid baller".That's your opinion. I stated mine earlier... I guess that makes us even.:boost:

TigerJ
08-18-2007, 08:40 PM
He can cover as well as any LB we have. He was inadequate as a safety in the deep backfield, but he can cover short space.Agreed. His coverage skills were subpar for a safety. They are pretty good for a linebacker, and probably are better for the time he's spent at safety.

shelby
08-19-2007, 07:20 AM
Meathead gets it .
:rockout:*****es!

njsue
08-19-2007, 07:59 AM
Seems like Jauron has found Coy Wire's nitch.

:up:

HHURRICANE
08-19-2007, 09:43 AM

My guess his coverage skills as a "linebacker" would have to be better than just about anybody in the league playing as a "linebacker."

My point is that it should be an advantage and not a weakness.

Yasgur's Farm
08-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Excellent point.

Jeff1220
08-19-2007, 02:19 PM
For those who don't remember, LB is his natural position, and was a very good one at Stanford:

was a first-team All-Pac 10 Conference choice in 2001 after starting every game at inside linebacker, leading the team for the second-straight year with a career-high 92 tackles (52 solos)…
as a junior in 2000, started 10 games at inside linebacker and received All-Pac 10 Conference honorable mention honors; led the team with 81 tackles (57 solos) and he totaled eight sacks…won two team awards: the Gundelach Award as the team's top junior, and the Russell-Huston Award as the player exemplifying the highest standard of leadership, aggressiveness and competitive attitude…

http://www.nflplayers.com/players/player.aspx?id=33073

G. Host
08-19-2007, 02:24 PM
My guess his coverage skills as a "linebacker" would have to be better than just about anybody in the league playing as a "linebacker."

My point is that it should be an advantage and not a weakness.
His coverage skills are definitely less than Urlacker's but he is a Pro Bowler who is absolutely amazing.

IMO he should be concentrating on inside not outside linebacker and Poz ought to be an OLB.

juice
08-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Wire has always been a LBer, a bit undersized but his skills and mentallity have been those of a backer since day one.. maybe he can make a differance in nickle situations as he has throughout his career as a STer.