PDA

View Full Version : My observation's about the tampa 2 defense

xXSpIkes5IXx
08-18-2007, 10:56 PM
It seems that in order for the tampa 2 defense that we run to be effective, the one thing you MUST have is an absolute freak at the defensive tackle position. A guy that can get in there and make plays on a consistant basis.

In Tampa there was Warren Sapp, in Chicago there is Tommie Harris. Even in Indy they had Simon and McFarland.

We dont have that guy....or someone that even resembles him. I think McCargo was drafted to be that guy, which hasent materialized yet. Larry Tripplett also was brought in to fill that void, and he did....for that one game last year when he had 2 sacks, he dissappeared the rest of the season.

I say if a prospect at the defensive tackle position comes along next year that would fill that void, we cant pass on him in round 1, because its obvious that the players we have in there right now are not getting it done, unless John McCargo can start making plays.

DraftBoy
08-18-2007, 11:15 PM
I think if we updgrade our other DE posistion and added two good cover corners we would be fine, a monster DT isnt the only solution.

mysticsoto
08-18-2007, 11:16 PM
I will agree that we should draft a top DT with our 1st rd pick next year - hopefully someone that will fit our style of D. But that being said...it may not be enough. Rookie DTs don't tend to become powerhouses in their 1st year. We may also need to go to FA and grab someone who may make a difference in our D while the rookie develops...

DraftBoy
08-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Quick summarization of top Senior DT's that fit our D;
Glenn Dorsey-LSU
DeMario Pressley-NC St
Sedrick Ellis-USC
Andre Fluellen-FSU

All those guys are 1st-2nd Rounders

Slim
08-19-2007, 04:49 AM
Dorsey would be AMAZING.

eyedog
08-19-2007, 09:58 AM
I think we should draft two more safeties with our first two picks next season. Then we can have the best first and second strings.

PECKERWOOD
08-19-2007, 11:11 AM
I think more importantly, you need to get an early lead in order for the Tampa 2 to be effective. Otherwise, teams will get the early lead and then just run all over your defense to control the clock.

Earthquake Enyart
08-19-2007, 11:14 AM
I think we should draft two more safeties with our first two picks next season. Then we can have the best first and second strings.
We're probably going to have to draft more QB's and RB's too.

DraftBoy
08-19-2007, 11:27 AM
I think more importantly, you need to get an early lead in order for the Tampa 2 to be effective. Otherwise, teams will get the early lead and then just run all over your defense to control the clock.

No I dont think that will happen because of the Tampa 2 scheme, but rather because we still dont have the personell to properly implement the scheme. I think Levy has to take part of the blame here, he hired the coaches to implement a scheme and has really lacked in the area of brining in the players to properly run that scheme.

PECKERWOOD
08-19-2007, 11:36 AM
No I dont think that will happen because of the Tampa 2 scheme, but rather because we still dont have the personell to properly implement the scheme. I think Levy has to take part of the blame here, he hired the coaches to implement a scheme and has really lacked in the area of brining in the players to properly run that scheme.

Other than Chicago and Minnesota, I can't name any other Tampa 2 teams that were consistently successful at stopping the run last year. Chicago has Tommie Harris and Minnesota has fat Pat and big Kevin Williams, which if you have players like that, they will make ANY scheme work. I don't care what anybody says, give me the 3-4 with a bunch of hogs on the line and I'll be happy.

xXSpIkes5IXx
08-19-2007, 11:58 AM
The Vikings run the tampa 2 with fat pat?

are you sure?

PECKERWOOD
08-19-2007, 12:00 PM
The Vikings run the tampa 2 with fat pat?

are you sure?

Don't rub it in, I still miss fat Pat dearly and I'm sure all the local pizzerias miss his business as well. :(

eyedog
08-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Fat Pat would never be able to "fit the system" here.