PDA

View Full Version : I feel like JP isn't getting coached.

HHURRICANE
08-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Last year I supported the first 7 games of pain as we kept JP under center and let him learn to run a conventional offense. This paid dividends in the second half of the season.

I'm watching the pre-season this year and I'm seeing some of the same stuff that I thought we were getting away from.

He is looking off Ds which is nice but it still looks like he's having a hard time recognizing Ds. He's moving his feet around alot and I thought we got rid of this bad habit as well.

In addition, he seems very eager to scramble when he panics.

Is the coaching staff paying too much attention to Edwards? There is no doubt that Levy has a giant woody for Edwards. I was not shocked at all that Nall never saw the field. Levy has gone out in the media several times saying what a great player Edwards is.

Thoughts?

ScottLawrence
08-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Losman has to be much better at the other aspects of the QB position. He is one of the best deep ball QB's in the league other then that he is an inconsistent, below average QB thus far in his career and will be tested by Edwards next year if he doesn't improve on his intermediate passes and reads.

Philagape
08-19-2007, 10:57 AM
What I want to know, and I didn't see the Falcons game, is are receivers getting open besides Evans?

duhbilz
08-19-2007, 11:00 AM
I definately don't think Marv is a JP guy, Marv understands the QB position. Should be interesting to see what transpires.

Earthquake Enyart
08-19-2007, 11:06 AM
So when does the QB controversy start?

Mudflap1
08-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Last year I supported the first 7 games of pain as we kept JP under center and let him learn to run a conventional offense. This paid dividends in the second half of the season.

I'm watching the pre-season this year and I'm seeing some of the same stuff that I thought we were getting away from.

He is looking off Ds which is nice but it still looks like he's having a hard time recognizing Ds. He's moving his feet around alot and I thought we got rid of this bad habit as well.

Is the coaching staff paying too much attention to Edwards? There is no doubt that Levy has a giant woody for Edwards. I was not shocked at all that Nall never saw the field. Levy has gone out in the media several times saying what a great player Edwards is.

Thoughts?

Maybe Losman just isn't going to be a good quarterback?

Jon

DraftBoy
08-19-2007, 11:24 AM
What I want to know, and I didn't see the Falcons game, is are receivers getting open besides Evans?

other WR were open consistently

DraftBoy
08-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Losman's happy feet are a big concern for me, but it being preseason he may be more fearful of taking a hit and getting hurt (he's been hurt before in preseason on a hit) then it is a bad habit coming back up. All and all I can live with Happy Feet if he wins us games and continues his play from last season.

PECKERWOOD
08-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Maybe Losman just isn't going to be a good quarterback?

Jon

Yeah, this is his last year to prove himself. However, in my most humble opinion, I think he will do fine.

Typ0
08-19-2007, 11:41 AM
we are so screwed when we put up a 3-13 season this year. That means next year it will be JP Vs. Edwards controversy which is never productive. And then the next season that means a new coaching staff. I see a trend carrying on here.

Earthquake Enyart
08-19-2007, 11:44 AM
we are so screwed when we put up a 3-13 season this year. That means next year it will be JP Vs. Edwards controversy which is never productive. And then the next season that means a new coaching staff. I see a trend carrying on here.
The real problem is that the start of our schedule is brutal. If JP and the team get off to a slow start, this could really snowball out of hand and we would battle Miami for last.

PECKERWOOD
08-19-2007, 11:45 AM
DOOOMMMM! WE ARE DOOMED I TELL YE!

HHURRICANE
08-19-2007, 11:51 AM
DOOOMMMM! WE ARE DOOMED I TELL YE!

Be fair. That wasn't the intent of the thread. It's an observation.

Typ0
08-19-2007, 11:55 AM
The real problem is that the start of our schedule is brutal. If JP and the team get off to a slow start, this could really snowball out of hand and we would battle Miami for last.

yep exactly...and it doesn't fare well for JP either who has shown to be mentally fragile at times. We don't have a decade for him to stop being a punk kid and get his head into the game like a pro.

hydro
08-19-2007, 11:56 AM
I definately don't think Marv is a JP guy, Marv understands the QB position. Should be interesting to see what transpires.

Do you mean JP isn't a Marv guy? JP should have "guy's", he just needs to learn and play.

PECKERWOOD
08-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Be fair. That wasn't the intent of the thread. It's an observation.

I know, I know. You're just as much of a fan as I. However, these type of threads are getting ridiculous. It's still the preseason, let's see what Losman can do when our team is actually playing to win. I'm actually more concerned about our OTHER WR's than I am of Losman. We have all seen what Losman can do when he has a good WR ( Lee Evans.. ) their chemistry was pretty beautiful last game. I thought there might possibly be a drop off in their chemistry this year but it seems to have gotten better from what I've seen. Losman was throwing passes to Lee Evans while Evans still had his back turned! That's insane, they have great timing together. We just need to get more brothers in at the skill positions. We need guys that can play ball. I'm sick of Price and Reed. Parrish is OK for a big play every here and there but his worth really lies on ST. In conclusion, Evans is our only WR that can catch and get open on a consistent basis.

duhbilz
08-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Do you mean JP isn't a Marv guy? JP should have "guy's", he just needs to learn and play.

Same thing.

MiamiFins854
08-19-2007, 12:10 PM
expect a big year for losman, like the year drew brees had when they drafted rivers, just not as many touchdowns.

Earthquake Enyart
08-19-2007, 12:11 PM
yep exactly...and it doesn't fare well for JP either who has shown to be mentally fragile at times. We don't have a decade for him to stop being a punk kid and get his head into the game like a pro.
By the Ravens game everyone will be screaming for Edwards.

PECKERWOOD
08-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Losman has been scrambling for some pretty nice gains as well. People are forgetting how demoralizing this can be to a defense. Plus, he has been hitting his checkdown routes much, much better. ( thank Holcomb for that. ) Furthermore, we've all seen his big play capability, let's just wait till the regular season and in the meantime enjoy the show.

bills_7
08-19-2007, 12:19 PM
am i the only one that likes losmans happy feet? its not like hes makn bad play on the run? if anything i think it gives him more options

PECKERWOOD
08-19-2007, 12:22 PM
am i the only one that likes losmans happy feet? its not like hes makn bad play on the run? if anything i think it gives him more options

Exactly. You're not alone in that observation my friend. When things break down it seems like Losman then starts to excel. I think his style just scares people when they see him scramble and mash helmets with the defense. I personally LOVE it and I think his teammates love it too.

ddaryl
08-19-2007, 12:30 PM
We haven't seen much consistency on the O side of the ball, and the OL still hasn't gel'd, 3 new guys on the line and were auditioning Centers and RG's. Marshawn has only 8 or so touches in his NFL career so far, and JP hasn't lit anyone up, but he hasn't played horrible either.

I think they just need more playing time. Hopefully the coaches can settle in on a lineup.

BidsJr
08-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Exactly. You're not alone in that observation my friend. When things break down it seems like Losman then starts to excel. I think his style just scares people when they see him scramble and mash helmets with the defense. I personally LOVE it and I think his teammates love it too.

Ever see Manning's feet? They may be the happiest in the NFL.

PECKERWOOD
08-19-2007, 12:42 PM

I thought the same thing earlier in this thread to be honest, interesting you pointed that out.

Jeff1220
08-19-2007, 02:04 PM
The only real concerns I've gained about JP, from watching the 2 preseason games, is his inability to properly audible i(It seems that any time he checks out of a play, he audibles into a play that gets blown up) and over throwing his dump passes. Other than that, I think he's light years past where he was a year ago.

G. Host
08-19-2007, 02:22 PM

That sounds too much Flutie and we know from the experts on the Zone how bad he was. He even is dealing with the same problem Flutie had with tipped balls ans such because his line is so much larger than him.

I do not think the OL is settled and in sync yet and when that happens he gets happy feet

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/5783/happyfeet2007cw2.jpg

Ebenezer
08-19-2007, 02:25 PM

Thoughts?
I'm sure the coaches think he is perfect and that he knows the game better than P. Manning and just let him draw it up in the dirt :rolleyes:

There is no doubt that Levy has a giant woody for Edwards. I was not shocked at all that Nall never saw the field. Levy has gone out in the media several times saying what a great player Edwards is.

That is your proof that ML prefers Edwards?? Weak.

!Papacrunk!
08-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Yeah, this is his last year to prove himself. However, in my most humble opinion, I think he will do fine.
With a potential all Pro Bowl line, there is no excuse what so ever that JP shouldn't be a Pro Bowl QB, correct? If he can't do it this year, then it's time to move on IMO. If only they could clone Kelly and Marino and keep their experience, or at least point them to the fountain of youth.

Bling
08-19-2007, 04:07 PM
You guys better hope that Losman tears it up this year, or else I will expect the whole board minus the realist to eat some major crow. I've heard Pro Bowl QB snub because they took a winner ove rhim, I've heard he needs more time and he's basically a rookie, I've heard he'll take you guys to the Super Bowl by ublink. I'm going to laugh the **** up if this guy is a bust.

lordofgun
08-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Exactly. I love how everyone knows better than the Bills' coaches.

I'm sure no one has coached JP at all. :coocoo:

Michael82
08-19-2007, 05:57 PM

Thoughts?

I actually agree with you here and it actually pisses me off. :mad: The more I watch the way they act with Trent Edwards, the more it seems to me that they are hoping he tears it up in preseason and takes over the number 2 job this year, so next year it can be the Brees/Rivers situation where Losman is let go. I hope I'm wrong, but it really seems this management has a major hardon for Edwards and is just saying to Losman, here's your chance...do whatever you want with it...but we won't be working with you anymore. We got ourselves a brand new shiny, toy. :ill:

G. Host
08-19-2007, 07:23 PM
You guys better hope that Losman tears it up this year, or else I will expect the whole board minus the realist to eat some major crow. I've heard Pro Bowl QB snub because they took a winner ove rhim, I've heard he needs more time and he's basically a rookie, I've heard he'll take you guys to the Super Bowl by ublink. I'm going to laugh the **** up if this guy is a bust.
I have eaten crow pie before. Tastes like fish pie except not so slimey and does not have that fishy smell. But this is one pie I will not be eating for I have never been on his bandwagon.

JP has played too much to be called a "bust". Disappointing maybe but "bust" label means something else unless your standards are very, very weak. Of course since you wear teal and orange your standards are pretty weak to start with. :D

PECKERWOOD
08-19-2007, 07:30 PM
With a potential all Pro Bowl line, there is no excuse what so ever that JP shouldn't be a Pro Bowl QB, correct? If he can't do it this year, then it's time to move on IMO. If only they could clone Kelly and Marino and keep their experience, or at least point them to the fountain of youth.

Absolutely correct Papacrunk. It does also depend on if our OL/WR play to their capabalities but overall I agree.. If Losman fails this year, I think that he will be gone. Furthermore, if Losman were to come out and totally bomb it this year, I don't think that the coaching staff would hesitate to give Trent Edwards a shot. With all this said though, I still think Losman is going to come through for us.

HHURRICANE
08-19-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm sure the coaches think he is perfect and that he knows the game better than P. Manning and just let him draw it up in the dirt :rolleyes:

That is your proof that ML prefers Edwards?? Weak.

I've listened to Marv on several nationally syndicated shows recently and there has been little said about JP but alot said about Edwards. Take it for what it's worth. It could mean nothing but Marv's pretty smart so I how do you exclude your starter from the conversation.

Philagape
08-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Edwards is a topic because he's the new guy, because he was an unexpected pick. He's news.

Maybe Marv's playing salesman for a trade down the line.

PECKERWOOD
08-19-2007, 07:46 PM
I've listened to Marv on several nationally syndicated shows recently and there has been little said about JP but alot said about Edwards. Take it for what it's worth. It could mean nothing but Marv's pretty smart so I how do you exclude your starter from the conversation.

Perhaps because Losman is strong enough on his own two feet and he is trying to boost Edwards confidence? Or maybe he is excluding Losman to light a fire under his arse. I don't know, it's all speculation. Perhaps, Marv was asked about our rookies so naturally he spoke highly of the player that HE drafted. You must put things into context.

G. Host
08-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Sounds like Levy is keeping JP out of spot light; when Losman goes under spot light he sometimes makes bad decisions and occasionally says something which has offended his teammates so that is a good thing. Let him have the spot light when he is in the zone again not now.

PECKERWOOD
08-19-2007, 08:09 PM
Sounds like Levy is keeping JP out of spot light; when Losman goes under spot light he sometimes makes bad decisions and occasionally says something which has offended his teammates so that is a good thing. Let him have the spot light when he is in the zone again not now.

Shoot, keep as many of our guys out of the medias spotlight as possible. If I were a football player I would absolutely LOVE playing in Buffalo, not just because it's the best city in the world but because the media will not hassle you as much.

Turf
08-19-2007, 09:01 PM
My concern with JP is not just him alone, but the lack of chemistry in the passing game. He has good chemistry with Evans, but aside from that, there is nothing brewing with any other players. TE's? Forget it. Parrish? Not yet. Pearless? Don't think so. The team needs to develop multiple passing targets. If Evans goes down, there is no passing game.

lordofgun
08-19-2007, 09:08 PM
My concern with JP is not just him alone, but the lack of chemistry in the passing game. He has good chemistry with Evans, but aside from that, there is nothing brewing with any other players. TE's? Forget it. Parrish? Not yet. Pearless? Don't think so. The team needs to develop multiple passing targets. If Evans goes down, there is no passing game.
Actually, IMO, he seems to have his best chemistry with Josh Reed.

G. Host
08-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Actually, IMO, he seems to have his best chemistry with Josh Reed.
I agree. Evans plays to his strength, the long ball, but Reed is who JP is comfortable with when he is in trouble.