PDA

View Full Version : Offensive line game greakdown

TigerJ
08-19-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm no expert on offensive line play, but over on the forums at BB.com, there is a guy who allegedly has some expertise in this area. He breaks down the play of the starting offensive line for the preseason games in detail. If he's right, it's pretty enlightening, I thought.

1) Inside zone- great push by Walker, Whittle to give Lynch a nice cutback lane. Penalty on ATL-5yds.

2) Counter- Walker was to high and didnt get push, Good job by Whittle in getting a good push but lost his man a bit late. Preston did a good job to get to the 2nd level. Dockery had a good shot on his guy but stopped his feet and lost him late.

3) Swing Pass- Good aggressive blocking by whittle and Dockery, Walker nice pass protection, Preston flat footed and got beat to the inside. Peters did a nice job of recognizing the blitz and picking it up.

4) Zone Left- Entire line did a good job in executing their assignments and getting push and/or getting downfield. +5yds by lynch.

5) Shotgun Pass- Preston burries head vs blitzing LBer and lost him late after contact, Great job by Lynch in picking up Blitz. Good pass protection from Dockery, Whittle Peters and Walker. + 36yds to Evans.

6) 5 Step Drop- Everett gets bull rushed into JP and JP scrambles. Good job by Walker, Whittle and Preston to collapse the line. Peters gets called for holding, didnt need to hold him though. He stopped his feet for a split second and the DE got the edge. IF Peters continues to run the guy towards the outside instead of grabbing his shoulder its a good play by Peters.

7) Zone left- Play was checked into the blitzing lbers/safties. Bad check down by JP. Line seemed confused and didnt look like they were all on the same page.

8) 5 step drop- Good job by Walker to get Depth vs the speed rush and cut him off. Whittle and Preston do a good job stuffing DT. Dockery stuffs his man at the line and peters does a good job vs the DE. JP scrambles for 6

9) Shotgun pass- Peters does a great job in running the DE past JP, Walker and Whittle do a nice job vs the stunt. Preston burries his head vs the stunting DE and loses him but whittle backs him up. Dockery does a great job in stuffing the DT at the line.

Drive Result: PUNT

2nd Posession after McGee INT

1) Play action roll out- Good job by line to sell the run.

2) Shotgun- Bad snap by Preston

3) Shotgun- Good job by Waker + Whittle to pick up stunt. Dockery stuffs DT at the line again. Peters does a nice job cutting off the speed rush from the DE and pushes him into the turf.

Drive result: MISSED FG

3rd Posession at the 2 yd line.

1) Slant- Great aggressive blocking by the line to keep the D-line's hands down. Preston does get bull rushed a bit by DT.

2) False Start by Preston, forgot snap count.

3) Play Action Pass- Good job by Walker recognizing the Blitz and taking the inside guy. Whittle, Preston, Peters and Dockery do a good job sealing off the backside.

4) Power Left- GREAT job by Whittle as he pulls around peters and seals off the LB. Peters and Dockery get great push on their double team and peters disengages and picks up backside LBer. Nice down block by Preston and good seal block by Walker on the backside. +9

5) Zone Left- Good push by left side. Peters sealed off the edge and dockery gets good push on the DT. Preston does a nice job picking up blitzing LB. Whittle and Walker execute their zone responsibilities on the backside but lynch made a bad cut and lost yds.

6) Shotgun- Snap a bit high by preston but he makes up for it. Preston, Walker, Whittle and dockery seal off the line. Peters does a great job recognizing blitz and picking it up. Royal gets beat inside late and it forces JP to scramble.

Drive Result: PUNT

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?t=5713

PECKERWOOD
08-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Haven't been to bb.com in awhile. Let me guess, Shaunta posted this?

TigerJ
08-19-2007, 08:48 PM
That's the guy. Is he legit as an offensive line "expert?"

M
08-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Haven't been to bb.com in awhile. Let me guess, Shaunta posted this?

Yep. I was just over there reading this same post. If it's true, maybe Walker isn't as bad as everyone thought ...

Goobylal
08-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Yep. I was just over there reading this same post. If it's true, maybe Walker isn't as bad as everyone thought ...
Well the truth is that only a few people think he's bad, and I'll give you 1 guess who they are.

PECKERWOOD
08-19-2007, 09:11 PM
That's the guy. Is he legit as an offensive line "expert?"

I doubt he is an 'expert' but he is ok. Probably knows alot more than the typical poster.

acattack15
08-19-2007, 09:22 PM
Sounds Like Whittle Played very good and should, in my opinion be our starting RG and have Fowler and Preston play for the starting C job. I am confident in Whittle playing good and gettin it done at RG.

Seems Walker the BIG boy also played pretty good after a bad game vs. the Saints. If we could have Peters and Dockery mesh by Game 1 and whittle and walker on the right side, and whoever comes away wit the center position, i think the OL will be pretty good and then bring on Marshawn!!

Goobylal
08-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Walker didn't have a bad game against the Saints. Go back to BB.com and read Shaunta's analysis of the OL during the Saints game.

ParanoidAndroid
08-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Fowler should start at center. Preston looks like a back up.

Goobylal
08-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Yep, the O-line will look like this:

Peters-Dockery-Fowler-Whittle/Butler-Walker

I think Whittle, because of his experience and health, will start at RG unless/until he gets injured, at which point Butler will take over. Butler just missed too much critical time.

Oaf
08-19-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm in 100% agreement Gooby.
:shake:

Night Train
08-20-2007, 04:07 AM
Fowler should start at center. Preston looks like a bum.

Fixed

eyedog
08-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Whittle can play center. This Friday I would like to see them try Whittle at center, and Butler at rg.
Preston looks like another busted Donasuck draft pick. Fowler is backup material with Preston.