PDA

View Full Version : Since we can't stop talking about him here

BlackMetalNinja
08-20-2007, 08:12 AM
I went over to a Ravens message board this morning and registered so I could ask them what their opinion and expectations for McGahee are, since we all seem to think quite differently than everybody else on it.

Definitely interested to see their responses and I'll post some of it here once they've had time to respond.

trapezeus
08-20-2007, 08:50 AM
i'd definitely be interested in seeing what some of the comments are. i'm sure they'll say the same things that we said the last 3 years. "he's good, just give him time." "we don't have the receivers, but he was so good in college, he'll come around."

it's funny how much perspective you get when people switch jerseys.

BlackMetalNinja
08-20-2007, 08:52 AM
Maybe they aren't sold yet either, no comments at all so far... though their board is nowhere near as busy as this one it seems.

The King
08-20-2007, 08:55 AM
though their board is nowhere near as busy as this one it seems.

they dont have bang or bucks.

BlackMetalNinja
08-20-2007, 08:57 AM
they dont have bang or bucks.

I'm waiting for it to sweep league wide. Obviously Fish Heaven will be the first to copy it, and then it'll spread from there.

MikeInRoch
08-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Run out and copyright it, quick! That way you can charge licensing fees!

Dr. Lecter
08-20-2007, 09:24 AM
I'm waiting for it to sweep league wide. Obviously Fish Heaven will be the first to copy it, and then it'll spread from there.

The only difference is that they will feature Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Matt Damon, etc.

Ickybaluky
08-20-2007, 09:38 AM
"we don't have the receivers, but he was so good in college, he'll come around."

The Ravens WR corps is pretty good, better than they have been in a long time.

Mark Clayton is going to be a real good player. He has a lot of talent and is going to be at least a good starter if not a #1 WR in the NFL.

Derrick Mason is getting older, but he is still a savvy guy who can find holes in zone defenses and catch a fair share of balls. He won't stretch the field, but he can make big catches and keep the chains moving.

Demetrius Williams is a guy many haven't heard of, but they will. He has good size and is a vertical threat (shown by his 18.0 YPR as a rookie last year). Williams provides an outside threat that makes teams honor the deep part of the field, and he adds a lot to their offense.

Finally, Todd Heap is one of the best TE in the NFL. The Ravens will line up up tight or outside like a WR. He is a big guy who uses his body well and has great hands. He will catch 70+ passes again for them.

That is pretty good skills guys. If the Ravens have issues on offense it will probably be their uncertainty on the OL, where they have several young players they will need to get up to speed quickly, and whether QB Steve McNair can stay healthy.

BlackMetalNinja
08-20-2007, 09:41 AM
The two responses I've gotten so far:

I've been to camp most every day, I like what Isee. Great vision, speed, quickness, a team oriented guy. Expects accountablity from his linemen and shares that with them.

In the games, with his total of what 10 carries in two games, there is no way of knowing what he will add from those games. Last night, he was hit more often in the back field than any back I've seen in some time.

Yeah, it is too early to give an honest account of Willis. Out of the 2 pre-season games he looked nice against the Eagles, busting 1 for 17 yards, yet last night he throws a mulligan, the man had no chance.

BlackMetalNinja
08-20-2007, 11:26 AM
I like what I seen in camp, he worked hard. At first I didn't like his speed but has showed that he could pick it up.

For the two preseason games, even with the bad showing from our line he has done fine. Last week on the longest run he had it was him, no blockers around, he made some moves to get up the field. I seen a RB screen that got a few yards.

I really think he fits in good with what he Ravens want to do.

I will agree that its too early to tell. I still see it as an upgrade over a washed up Jamal and will give us more versatility offensively. With Anderson and Musa getting some carries, I'm not worried about our backfield. The O-lines performance last night left reason for concern however.

We'll all likely have a better feel for McGahee around game 4.

Well speaking only for myself, I honestly don't give a fat rat's butt about what a Bills fan thinks of Willis. http://forums.extremeravens.com/style_emoticons/purple_on_white/gorave.gif

Apparantly they're buying the hype the media is spewing as well... and apparntly don't want to hear the truth from me either.

Wys Guy
08-20-2007, 11:30 AM
I've been to their boards and haven't seen much talk of McG. Most are saying that Anderson's the man.

McG certainly hasn't show much more than he did here in the preseason.

He's not the type of RB to carry an O, which will cause problems for him there. McNair is too old to carry it.

LtFinFan66
08-20-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm waiting for it to sweep league wide. Obviously Fish Heaven will be the first to copy it, and then it'll spread from there.I haven't seen bang or bucks yet at FH. I won't take it there but someone else may:idunno:

AndreReed83
08-20-2007, 11:45 AM
It's one thing to show vision in practices against guys you line up against everyday. It's another to show that vision in actual games, which McGahee rarely does. Of the starting RBs in the league, he has to be one of the worst at recognizing holes (off the field, however, that is a totally different story :naughty: ).

RedEyE
08-20-2007, 11:47 AM
With the number of questions the Ravens OL tend to present, I'd be willing to say he's in much the same predicament he was in Buffalo. When the Ravens finally realize that he isn't the great back everyone once expected him to be, and when his low numbers start to effect the overall offensive scheme, they'll look to the passing game more (especially with the receiving corp they have). Willis will then be horribly exposed as McNair is not the runner he once was and is half the runner Losman was a year ago.

In short, McNair is going to hate this guy as Willis' best move will be offering a helping hand to pull McNair off his back.

The Ravens defense on the other hand will keep this team in a wild card run.

The fans are used to a Lewis type of season from their running backs. They will be calling Willis' head by the end of next season.

Earthquake Enyart
08-20-2007, 12:15 PM
Tell me more about the Ravens, fins, and Pats. Can't get enough.

RockStar36
08-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Of course they love him. He had a horrible team here in Buffalo. He wasn't given a chance. He is a new person and a new player. He is more motivated to be on a winning team. He will be a team guy now that he has his friends on his team. Blah, blah, blah.

It's the same crap we say about free agents who come to Buffalo. We love them and what they did in the past doesn't mean squat. They will be great with the new changes and not being on that old crappy team.

Does this really surprise anybody?

DraftBoy
08-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Ravnes OL could be a very dominant one this year. Having Ogden out will hurt but Gaither has looked amazing at times at LT for a rookie starting. Also remeber RT Adam Terry has shown marked improvements from last year, Brown took over the LG spot and never lost is last season, and rookie Ben Grubbs has always been a good run blocker. Center Mike Flynn is the veteran and leader of that line. They have a much better line than we do imo.

BlackMetalNinja
08-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Of course they love him. He had a horrible team here in Buffalo. He wasn't given a chance. He is a new person and a new player. He is more motivated to be on a winning team. He will be a team guy now that he has his friends on his team. Blah, blah, blah.

It's the same crap we say about free agents who come to Buffalo. We love them and what they did in the past doesn't mean squat. They will be great with the new changes and not being on that old crappy team.

Does this really surprise anybody?

No, because truthfully, if this were happening in the opposite direction, most of the fans here would be acting the same way. Natural Homerism if you will.

RockStar36
08-20-2007, 01:03 PM
No, because truthfully, if this were happening in the opposite direction, most of the fans here would be acting the same way. Natural Homerism if you will.

Exactly my point!!

Mr. Miyagi
08-20-2007, 01:33 PM
I understand homers like his speed and quickness and stuff, but it makes me laugh out loud when they make up stuff about him that simply isn't true, like his "vision" and "accountability" and being a "team guy".

Complete and total lies.

Oh, almost forgot about his "receiving abilities". WTF.

BlackMetalNinja
08-20-2007, 01:46 PM
I understand homers like his speed and quickness and stuff, but it makes me laugh out loud when they make up stuff about him that simply isn't true, like his "vision" and "accountability" and being a "team guy".

Complete and total lies.

Oh, almost forgot about his "receiving abilities". WTF.

Yeah, they seem pretty blinded to all Willis' downsides and rather unwilling to hear what I think.

RockStar36
08-20-2007, 02:54 PM
Yeah, they seem pretty blinded to all Willis' downsides and rather unwilling to hear what I think.

They will learn.

Just like someone said before. It's like breaking up with your girlfriend and seeing her with a new man. All you can do is laugh because he'll eventually suffer the same fate that you did.

M
08-20-2007, 03:00 PM

Except for Langston Walker ... Jason Whittle hasn't been welcomed with open arms either.

RockStar36
08-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Except for Langston Walker ... Jason Whittle hasn't been welcomed with open arms either.

Langston Walker is really good. Half the sacks last year really weren't his fault as the o-line in Oakland was horrible. Langston himself is a really good player when surrounded by good coaching and teammates.

See? Works both ways.

Mr. Miyagi
08-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Langston Walker is really good. Half the sacks last year really weren't his fault as the o-line in Oakland was horrible. Langston himself is a really good player when surrounded by good coaching and teammates.

See? Works both ways.
Did Langston Walker proclaim he's the best RT in the league and then blame everyone else around him when he wasn't?