Clear All
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Walsh called Levy about Edwards

off AP wire ...

By John Wawrow
    The Associated Press
    PITTSFORD — Trent Edwards could turn out to be a steal.
    Marv Levy thought so in April when the Buffalo Bills — despite already being set at their two top quarterback spots — made the eyebrow-raising decision to select Edwards in the third round of the NFL draft. A few weeks later, the Bills general manager received a curious phone call that confirmed he made the right decision.
    Just weeks before his death, Hall of Fame coach Bill Walsh was on the line touting the Stanford product.
    “It’s the first time he’s done this in all the years I’ve known him,” Levy said Monday, referring to his friend and former colleague, who died last month. “But he called me and said, ‘Marv, you’ve got yourself one heck of a quarterback.’”
    Four weeks into training camp, Edwards is showing signs he’ll prove Walsh correct and the Bills astute for drafting him. Bills quarterbacks coach Turk Schonert has even more reason than most to respect Walsh’s judgment: he played under him at Stanford in the 1970s.
    “For Bill to say that, it gets you excited. And then when the player comes in here and lives up to or exceeds it, it’s even better,” Schonert said. “He’s been everything we thought he would be on film and more.”
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion
  • ParanoidAndroid
    My battery is low and it's getting dark.
    • Apr 2004

Re: Walsh called Levy about Edwards

Comment

• Elminster
      #1 Kelsay Fan
      • Oct 2006

Let the conspiracies fly...
      Good to know, and, always good to see another football genius chime in...
      Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Comment

• Mudflap1
        Next Question!
        • Nov 2004

Anybody else think he looks very Holcomb-like with his dumpoffs the first two preseason games?

Jon

Comment

• Philagape
          WIN NOW
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mudflap1
          Anybody else think he looks very Holcomb-like with his dumpoffs the first two preseason games?

Jon
          Do you expect a rookie QB to be lighting it up? Veteran players often don't look like themselves in the preseason, much less a rookie playing the hardest position.
          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• hydro
            • Oct 2005

I really dont understand this association with Holcomb. Just because he is inexperience and going with easy dump downs doesn't mean he is the next coming of Holcomb. From what i here he has a good arm, so that right there is the polar opposite of Holcomb.
            BERNIAC!

Comment

• mchurchfie
              • Jul 2002

Jon
              I noticed that too. I heard he had a good arm, I'm waiting for him to start slinging some bombs downfield.
              My Band
              daveviterna.com

Comment

• Mudflap1
                Next Question!
                • Nov 2004

You boys are awfully touchy about Edwards..... just making an observation. He's only played trash time in two games, that means nothing. First impression though (as a pro) -- Holcomb.

I never thought he had that awesome of an arm at Stanford either. Although maybe that's because he was getting sacked every other play.

Jon

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

He's done very well in his early games and I will be excited to see Buffalo really open up the playbook around him, and air it out
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• The Jokeman
                    • Dec 2003

NOt to rain on his parade but didn't Walsh give Jake Plummer a glowing endorsement to? Infact think he even compared him to Joe Montana.

Comment

• dolphan117
                      • Dec 2005

It was rumored that Cam was high on him as well..... It remains to be seen how he does as a HC but given his track record of developing QB's with Rivers and Bree's I put a little more stock in his opinions them some other coaches/writers.

And that's not just because he is our coach now, I feel the same way about Norve Turner for instance. Some coaches in the this league just know the QB position............ Although obviously as a Fin Fan I hope Cam is wrong and he bombs horribly........... As I'm sure you guys are hopping for all our QB's.

Comment

• Philagape
                        WIN NOW
                        • Jul 2002

You boys are awfully touchy about Edwards..... just making an observation. He's only played trash time in two games, that means nothing. First impression though (as a pro) -- Holcomb.

I never thought he had that awesome of an arm at Stanford either. Although maybe that's because he was getting sacked every other play.

Jon
                        I'm touchy about meaningless observations

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• eyedog
                          • Jul 2002

If Cam was so high on him then why didn't he draft him ?

Comment

• Mudflap1
                            Next Question!
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Philagape
                            I'm touchy about meaningless observations
                            Then you must get mad at yourself a lot...

Jon

Comment

• dolphan117
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by eyedog
                              If Cam was so high on him then why didn't he draft him ?
                              I assume because he was higher on Beck.

Comment

Working...
                              X