• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Italian Stallion
    Knows More Than You
    • Feb 2004

SIGN TROTTER

TROTTER OUT IN PHILLY

The second tenure of linebacker Jeremiah Trotter in Philly is now over.

WIP radio, Sal Paolantonio of ESPN, and Jay Glazer of FOX report that Trotter will be released. An official announcement will be made at 1:00 p.m. EDT.

Trotter became a star with the Eagles, and was slapped with the franchise tag after the 2001 season, when his rookie contract expired. The team lifted the tag later in the offseason, and Trotter signed with the Redskins. He spent two disappointing years in Washington before being released, and then returned to the Eagles, where he worked his way back into a starting job -- and was a key player during the team's 2004 Super Bowl run. He started 15 games in 2005, and 16 games in 2006.

UPDATE: The Eagles have officially announced the move. Said head coach Andy Reid: "Jeremiah is one of my favorite guys. There's no question that this is the toughest part of this job. He and I met about this last night and it was very emotional for the both of us. Jeremiah and I have been together for many years and he's played a vital role in helping this team win a lot of football games. He developed himself into a Pro Bowl middle linebacker through a lot of hard work and desire. In my mind, he will always be a Philadelphia Eagle and I'm sure he feels the same way. I wish he and his family nothing but the best in the future."

He could compete with Ellison for the starting job....The Eagles obviously wanna go younger at the position, and can afford to do so because they have many leaders on that defense already..Dawkins, Sheppard, Kearse Patterson ETC.

Obviously he isn't what he once was, but this team needs leadership on the defensive side of the ball if we have any prayer of trying to stop the run on a consistant basis. I say sign him up for a 1-2 year deal, and if he can't beat out any of our current guys then let him walk
    BILLS FOOTBALL

SABRES HOCKEY

METS BASEBALL

I like cheeseburgers and eva mendes
  • ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Re: SIGN TROTTER

Why do we need LB's. We're desperate for DT's and DE's, and I don't think veteran leadership at LB will fix our problems on the DL. Better to let our LB's get the experience they need so the Bills can build forward.

and case you haven't noticed the Bills are trying to get younger as well. We just got rid of 2 aging slowing LB's in Spikes and Fletcher. It makes little sense to replace them with another aging slowing LB.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
      Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

We don't need old and we don't need LB.

We certainly don't need both.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Comment

• Italian Stallion
          Knows More Than You
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ddaryl
          Why do we need LB's. We're desperate for DT's and DE's, and I don't think veteran leadership at LB will fix our problems on the DL. Better to let our LB's get the experience they need so the Bills can build forward.

and case you haven't noticed the Bills are trying to get younger as well. We just got rid of 2 aging slowing LB's in Spikes and Fletcher. It makes little sense to replace them with another aging slowing LB.
          True, i understand what your saying...especially about the thin defensive line.

All I'm talking about though, is if this guy isn't commanding much money on the open market, then i say jump at him.

I realize that were trying to go younger at LB, but as i said before, Philly can afford to make this movie because of the other established leaders they have on defense already. I'm not saying that we will be a shutdown run defense team with Trotter in the fold, but for the times this defense is in "down and out" mode where they cant stop any run play thrown at them...this is the guy (and everyone has seen his on field emotion on display many times) that can help jolt this defense back into coherence.

There is no one on the open market at any position on defense that can provide that to this team besides Trotter. Defense is about momentum and emotion. This guy can help propel both in the right direction in times of dire need.
          BILLS FOOTBALL

SABRES HOCKEY

METS BASEBALL

I like cheeseburgers and eva mendes

Comment

• don137
            • Jul 2002

With limited financial resources if we pick up anyone I think we need DL help or help at #2 WR if one comes available.

Comment

• Gunzlingr
              • Jul 2002

Didn't Trotter have problems with discipline (ignoring coaching while on the field), or am I think of a different LB?
              You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Ill pass, Trotter is going to be looking to start somewhere
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• HAMMER
                  I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                  • Jul 2003

We didn't cut two older, ornery LB's to turn around and pick one up later.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                    • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Gunzlingr
                    Didn't Trotter have problems with discipline (ignoring coaching while on the field), or am I think of a different LB?
                    No, Trotter is considered a good team guy. He did have trouble learning the system in Washington, so he may not be the brightest bulb. But he is a popular guy on his team.

Trotter wouldn't seem like a good fit in the Bill's Cover-2. The LB have a lot of coverage responsibilities, with the MLB in particular needing to have the athleticism to drop fast and cover the deep middle (the weak spot in the alignment).

Trotter has bad knees and his skills have been declining the last couple years. He is strictly a run-down guy now, and is a liability in coverage. He might be helpful to some team as a 2-down/goalline LB in a system where he isn't required to cover as much (his strength has always been stuffing the run), but with his knees he can't run well enough to play in a Tampa-2.

Comment

• RockStar36
                      Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ddaryl

It's simple. He is a free agent. He is sort of a big name. To some Bills fans that means sign him immediately. I've seen this sort of thing for the past 5 years on message boards.

D & S Sports

Comment

• camelcowboy
                        • Mar 2005

1) He's not the right type of linebacker for the tampa 2 (he can't cover, remember the eagles taking him out passing downs in the superbowl which allowed the patriots to destroy them through the air.)

2)Reoccuring knee problem

3)age

4) he has no flexibility to play other linebacker spots (speed thing again) So between him and poz, im going with poz.

Comment

• duhbilz
                          S.Jersey #1 fan of Daunte Culpeper where he may play
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Italian Stallion
                          TROTTER OUT IN PHILLY

The second tenure of linebacker Jeremiah Trotter in Philly is now over.

WIP radio, Sal Paolantonio of ESPN, and Jay Glazer of FOX report that Trotter will be released. An official announcement will be made at 1:00 p.m. EDT.

Trotter became a star with the Eagles, and was slapped with the franchise tag after the 2001 season, when his rookie contract expired. The team lifted the tag later in the offseason, and Trotter signed with the Redskins. He spent two disappointing years in Washington before being released, and then returned to the Eagles, where he worked his way back into a starting job -- and was a key player during the team's 2004 Super Bowl run. He started 15 games in 2005, and 16 games in 2006.

UPDATE: The Eagles have officially announced the move. Said head coach Andy Reid: "Jeremiah is one of my favorite guys. There's no question that this is the toughest part of this job. He and I met about this last night and it was very emotional for the both of us. Jeremiah and I have been together for many years and he's played a vital role in helping this team win a lot of football games. He developed himself into a Pro Bowl middle linebacker through a lot of hard work and desire. In my mind, he will always be a Philadelphia Eagle and I'm sure he feels the same way. I wish he and his family nothing but the best in the future."

He could compete with Ellison for the starting job....The Eagles obviously wanna go younger at the position, and can afford to do so because they have many leaders on that defense already..Dawkins, Sheppard, Kearse Patterson ETC.

Obviously he isn't what he once was, but this team needs leadership on the defensive side of the ball if we have any prayer of trying to stop the run on a consistant basis. I say sign him up for a 1-2 year deal, and if he can't beat out any of our current guys then let him walk
                          He's not better then Fletcher, why would you sign him??

Comment

• patmoran2006
                            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                            • Dec 2005

btw, spikes is taking over at MLB with his release.

Interesting.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                              • Jul 2002

Why would we need another old MLB? He is much to slow to play OLB......

Comment

Working...
                              X