PDA

View Full Version : Recent history: Lee Evans

Bling
08-21-2007, 08:17 PM
As the second question of the recent history series.

Lee Evans was at the beginning expected to be a 4th rounder. He made it all the way to what 9th overall? What happened? Wasn't this a "reach" and surprise by the draft experts? Could anyone refresh my my memory about the 04 draft.

camelcowboy
08-21-2007, 08:30 PM
13th overall one pick ahead of the Bucs clayton, and he was ranked around mid second round. He was thought to be some what of a reach. He had alot of comparisons to steve smith. Lee had a knee injury his junior year, and height dropped his stocks a little.

Bling
08-21-2007, 08:49 PM
13th overall one pick ahead of the Bucs clayton, and he was ranked around mid second round. He was thought to be some what of a reach. He had alot of comparisons to steve smith. Lee had a knee injury his junior year, and height dropped his stocks a little.

That's what it was. The knee injury. He had the talent, but was short and had knee trouble. I remember that game where he had 3 or 4 TDs for Wisconsin. :D

Captain Obvious
08-21-2007, 09:18 PM
The New York jets picked Jonathon Vilma at the 12th spot

patmoran2006
08-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Many people thought the knee injury prevented him from being a Top 10 draft pick.

Thank God he hurt that knee.

Can you imagine how doo doo this offense would be without Evans.

BidsJr
08-21-2007, 10:35 PM
Many people thought the knee injury prevented him from being a Top 10 draft pick.

We wouldn't have done diddly poo last year without him.

raphael120
08-21-2007, 11:11 PM

I think that's the first time i've seen the word "doo-doo" used on this board.

Nice! :clap:

more cowbell
08-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Prior to the knee injury evans was considered one of the best college recievers to come along in a long time...much like Calvin Johnsion. Then he blew out his knee in spring camp and missed an entire year, came back as a senior and proved he still had it

Devin
08-22-2007, 12:40 AM
As the second question of the recent history series.

Lee Evans was at the beginning expected to be a 4th rounder. He made it all the way to what 9th overall? What happened? Wasn't this a "reach" and surprise by the draft experts? Could anyone refresh my my memory about the 04 draft.

I never heard 4th rounder ever.

At the time it was a mid to late first rounder by most projections. In fact a few of us were lobbying for Evans to be the pick via trade.

At the end of the day he was a slight reach likely, but as we all now see well worth the pick.

Ickybaluky
08-22-2007, 07:42 AM
Just to interject for a moment, as good as Evans has been for the Bills he really hasn't done very much against the Patriots.

In 6 games agains them he has 13 catches for 240 yards and no TDs (with 1 fumble). That means his average game against them is 2 catches for 40 yards.

Just saying...

mybills
08-22-2007, 07:47 AM
Just saying...
Just don't. :snicker:

Where have you been, NE39?

And why is a fish fan interested in a Bills WR? :chuckle:

The King
08-22-2007, 07:53 AM
Just to interject for a moment, as good as Evans has been for the Bills he really hasn't done very much against the Patriots.

In 6 games agains them he has 13 catches for 240 yards and no TDs (with 1 fumble). That means his average game against them is 2 catches for 40 yards.

Just saying...

neither has JP, thats the thing about a WR.

Ickybaluky
08-22-2007, 08:05 AM
neither has JP, thats the thing about a WR.

Eric Moulds played 4 games against the Pats in 2004/2005 while Evans was with the Bills and had 24 catches for 297 yards and 2 TD. That is an average game of 6 catches for 75 yards and a TD every other game.

Mould always played well against the Pats, it seems.

Bulldog
08-22-2007, 08:07 AM

Just saying...

We know NE39. Just had to throw that in to remind us all of how great the Pats are.

Ickybaluky
08-22-2007, 08:11 AM
We know NE39. Just had to throw that in to remind us all of how great the Pats are.

I just felt it worth noting. It is an interesting stat.

The King
08-22-2007, 08:16 AM
Eric Moulds played 4 games against the Pats in 2004/2005 while Evans was with the Bills and had 24 catches for 297 yards and 2 TD. That is an average game of 6 catches for 75 yards and a TD every other game.

Mould always played well against the Pats, it seems.

Bledsoe was the QB for 15 of those receptions and 172 yards
Holcomb was the QB for 9 Catches and 125 yards.

Bulldog
08-22-2007, 08:16 AM
I just felt it worth noting. It is an interesting stat.

I doesn't really surprise me at all. Considering that Buffalo has be owned by the Pats since Evans came to Buffalo, I wouldn't have guessed that he would have put up big numbers.

Ickybaluky
08-22-2007, 08:21 AM
Bledsoe was the QB for 15 of those receptions and 172 yards
Holcomb was the QB for 9 Catches and 125 yards.

OK, but the same QB was on the field for both guys.

RockStar36
08-22-2007, 08:37 AM
And why is a fish fan interested in a Bills WR? :chuckle:

Because we make fun of the Fish for 'reaching' on their pick of Ted Ginn. So he is comparing our 'reach' of Lee Evans and how great Evans has turned out for us.

Ickybaluky
08-22-2007, 08:44 AM
I doesn't really surprise me at all. Considering that Biffalo has be owned by the Pats since Evans came to Buffalo, I wouldn't have guessed that he would have put up big numbers.

And yet, he has done quite well against other teams that made the playoffs.

Here is Evans numbers against teams that eventually made the playoffs:

21 games, 78 Rec, 1,242 Yds, 7 TD

If you remove the Patriots from that equation he has done quite well against other playoff teams:

15 games, 65 Rec, 1,002 Yds, 7 TD

Here are Evans numbers against non-playoff teams:

24 games, 78 Rec, 1,211 Yds, 13 TD

I find it an interesting statistical anomoly.

The King
08-22-2007, 08:53 AM
My point was that Buffalo QB's tend to choke against the Pats.

justasportsfan
08-22-2007, 09:29 AM

Just saying...
WTF? that was stupid.

Ickybaluky
08-22-2007, 10:01 AM
WTF? that was stupid.

Explain.

justasportsfan
08-22-2007, 10:03 AM
Explain.
NO!

Ickybaluky
08-22-2007, 10:03 AM
NO!

Now, that's stupid.

justasportsfan
08-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Now, that's stupid.

Your attempt to hijack an Evans thread and make it "The Pats are great " was really smooth.

:rolleyes:

Ickybaluky
08-22-2007, 10:19 AM
Your attempt to hijack an Evans thread and make it "The Pats are great " was really smooth.

Where did I say anything about the Pats, or how good they are? You are just being sensitive.

The thread was started with a question about Evans, and I have been wondering about the anomoly of his performance against the Pats for some time. It seemed like as good a place as any to address it.

I find it interesting that LE has played one team 6 times and really hasn't lit them up yet. I don't think it has anything to do with the Pats being good in that stretch, because he has performed well against playoff teams overall.

My opinion? When Evans has success, he is usually beating teams deep. Look at his big games, and he usually has at least one deep ball mixed in there. Against the Pats he has a couple big pass plays, but neither went for a TD. He hit them for a 50+ yd play in 2004 and another in 2005, but didn't have one last year.

Belichick is noted as gameplanning to take away what a team does best. In Evans case, he seems hell-bent on not allowing him to make the big play over the top. The Bills should counter that by running him underneath to get the ball. One would think it would have to be there, given the concern with not letting him get deep. One would think other teams will look at that successful strategy and try to copy it.

If that is the case, Evans probably will have a harder time getting deep this year, and will make fewer long bombs. However, he should also have more of an opportunity on shorter routes, the 15-20 yard in-cuts and out-cuts that Tory Holt and Isaac Bruce have made a living on running the same offense the Bills currently do. I'm interested whether the Bills make this adjustment with Evans, or are willing to let him run deep as a decoy to open the underneath stuff for other receiver.

I was hoping someone else here might come up with a theory, but you seem a little to preoccupied with self-pity to respond appropriately.

Earthquake Enyart
08-22-2007, 10:23 AM
A big part of the reason is it seems that we play the Pats off of their bye week every stinking year.

Mahdi
08-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Reggie Williams is in danger of getting cut from Jacksonville this year. He was picked a couple ahead of Evans. Thank God they dont have an eye for Wrs. The others drafter ahead of him were Larry Fitz and Roy Williams. Pretty good class.

The King
08-22-2007, 10:32 AM
A big part of the reason is it seems that we play the Pats off of their bye week every stinking year.

:bf1:

Ickybaluky
08-22-2007, 10:35 AM

Yet, his best game in the series was in 2004 with the Pats coming off their Bye. He has 4 catches for 93 Yds with a log reception of 55 Yard.

Personally, I think it is the way he is being used. They run him deep, but that is what the Pats are trying to take away.

I think they need to adjust his routes and allow him to run more shorter routes. He is your biggest threat on offense, and should get the ball.

justasportsfan
08-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Where did I say anything about the Pats, or how good they are? You are just being sensitive.

The thread was started with a question about Evans, and I have been wondering about the anomoly of his performance against the Pats for some time. It seemed like as good a place as any to address it.

I find it interesting that LE has played one team 6 times and really hasn't lit them up yet. I don't think it has anything to do with the Pats being good in that stretch, because he has performed well against playoff teams overall.

My opinion? When Evans has success, he is usually beating teams deep. Look at his big games, and he usually has at least one deep ball mixed in there. Against the Pats he has a couple big pass plays, but neither went for a TD. He hit them for a 50+ yd play in 2004 and another in 2005, but didn't have one last year.

Belichick is noted as gameplanning to take away what a team does best. In Evans case, he seems hell-bent on not allowing him to make the big play over the top. The Bills should counter that by running him underneath to get the ball. One would think it would have to be there, given the concern with not letting him get deep. One would think other teams will look at that successful strategy and try to copy it.

If that is the case, Evans probably will have a harder time getting deep this year, and will make fewer long bombs. However, he should also have more of an opportunity on shorter routes, the 15-20 yard in-cuts and out-cuts that Tory Holt and Isaac Bruce have made a living on running the same offense the Bills currently do. I'm interested whether the Bills make this adjustment with Evans, or are willing to let him run deep as a decoy to open the underneath stuff for other receiver.

I was hoping someone else here might come up with a theory, but you seem a little to preoccupied with self-pity to respond appropriately.
Yet, his best game in the series was in 2004 with the Pats coming off their Bye. He has 4 catches for 93 Yds with a log reception of 55 Yard.

Personally, I think it is the way he is being used. They run him deep, but that is what the Pats are trying to take away.

I think they need to adjust his routes and allow him to run more shorter routes. He is your biggest threat on offense, and should get the ball.

You just made my point.

Ickybaluky
08-22-2007, 10:49 AM
You just made my point.

I'm glad I could, because I've never known you to have one before.

The last buffalo fan
08-22-2007, 12:05 PM
NE, 18.46 yards average, are still pretty damn good!! I know you have a great coach with an excellent defensive mind, but our guy is still getting his yards. Hopefully with a more mature JP, it could transform into more TDs and a better yard average.

Earthquake Enyart
08-22-2007, 12:15 PM
:rofl:

Nice.

justasportsfan
08-22-2007, 12:37 PM
stop hating on one that knows you come here and give backhanded compliments or gloat

Ickybaluky
08-22-2007, 02:19 PM
stop hating on one that knows you come here and give backhanded compliments or gloat

I want you to know that, for the first time, I am using an emoticon.

I mean, seriously, did you think about that before you posted it? That post is a goofball. Holy Grail, indeed.

justasportsfan
08-22-2007, 02:31 PM

:rofl:.
I'm honored :D

I mean, seriously, did you think about that before you posted it? That post is a goofball. Holy Grail, indeed.
your posts here on this thread is proof. Nuff said ;)

Bling
08-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Because we make fun of the Fish for 'reaching' on their pick of Ted Ginn. So he is comparing our 'reach' of Lee Evans and how great Evans has turned out for us.

You're reading too far into this RS. I knew this would be a problem, but I wasn't trying to stir up trouble. I really was interested. I remember back at ESPN, this guy PackPhin and myself were lobbying for Lee Evans. The most famous poster SMadison29 said he wasn't even a 3rd round pick more like a 4th. They all wanted Rashaun Woods. Hahaha...

Bling
08-22-2007, 03:08 PM

Sometime justa and other posters on here are beyond sensitive, but I have to agree with him. You do seem to gloat.

RockStar36
08-22-2007, 03:08 PM
You're reading too far into this RS. I knew this would be a problem, but I wasn't trying to stir up trouble. I really was interested. I remember back at ESPN, this guy PackPhin and myself were lobbying for Lee Evans. The most famous poster SMadison29 said he wasn't even a 3rd round pick more like a 4th. They all wanted Rashaun Woods. Hahaha...

I personally didn't follow the draft all that much a few years ago so I can't remember if he was really that much of a reach. I can't imagine people thinking he would be a 4th rounder though. Not only would that be a huge reach for Buffalo (which I don't remember people saying that to much at the time) but I can't see him lasting that long in the draft. Then again, stranger things have happened on draft day.

Bling
08-22-2007, 03:11 PM
I personally didn't follow the draft all that much a few years ago so I can't remember if he was really that much of a reach. I can't imagine people thinking he would be a 4th rounder though. Not only would that be a huge reach for Buffalo (which I don't remember people saying that to much at the time) but I can't see him lasting that long in the draft. Then again, stranger things have happened on draft day.

Well like I said, it's what 4 years ago? That was some guys opinion that LE should be a 4th round pick. I'm sure he ranked high 1st, low 2nd.

Ickybaluky
08-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Sometime justa and other posters on here are beyond sensitive, but I have to agree with him. You do seem to gloat.

That is just my superior tone and condescending attitude. I has nothing to do with the team I follow, I'm really an arrogant ass. Do you think if anyone could stand me I'd be here?

BTW, Miami really does suck.

Earthquake Enyart
08-22-2007, 03:49 PM
:blah: blah blah blah
:bf1:

Bling
08-22-2007, 04:27 PM
That is just my superior tone and condescending attitude. I has nothing to do with the team I follow, I'm really an arrogant ass. Do you think if anyone could stand me I'd be here?

No.

Ok....

B-DON
08-22-2007, 06:27 PM
If the bills were as good as the pats i would gloat also.

baalworship
08-22-2007, 09:07 PM
Lee Evans was expected to go around 15th to 20th in the draft in all the draft guides and such. There was a lot of buzz about him moving up the boards and how he might turn out to be a star though before the draft.

In his private workout he didn't drop one pass.