Just curious, for those actually thinking/believing that we'll be good this season,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just curious, for those actually thinking/believing that we'll be good this season,

...how do you explain the notably lower levels of participation on Bills MBs this preseason than in past preseasons?

I'm not trying to get anyone's panties in a wad or anything, but what I'm trying to do is reconcile the notions that the team now has as much support as ever based on ill-defined stated season ticket sales, really speculation at this point, and other soft indicators prior to the season starting.

In past years the activity has been much higher than it is now. One would think that if interest has remained the same, much less increased, that both the local radio shows as well as fan MBs would have much more activity, but it's clear that it has waned for both, both in terms of fan expectations as well as fan enthusiasm.

My position is that the organization is losing its fans from an interest perspective, yet I've been shot down, w/o any evidence of course, by some here.

So how do those people, and you know who you are, reconcile the lesser levels of "excitement" around the WNY region for the Bills this season in countering my suggestions based on my own observations as well as those of others in that way?

BTW, how was camp attended this year? I didn't go to one and tonight's the last one I think, so I have no idea. Which also brings up another point, they've typically made the last day of camp far more eventful with some hoopla as well. That's why I'm thinking that it wasn't that well attended this year relatively speaking. Again, don't know however as I wasn't there.

[Note & waiver of liability: This post was not presented or meant as a personal threat to anyone, nor any threat to the welfare of their families, persons, or property. It was meant in all earnst and sincerety although it may reflect differing viewpoints from those that may respond to it. No references to actual persons were made or intended and any similarities in such ways are purely coincidental. After reading it, should symptoms of anger and rage persist, please consult your medical practitioner as soon as possible for treatment and medication. Should feelings of personal inadequacy arise, please see a self-esteem counselor as soon as possible.]
  • Earthquake Enyart
    Legendary Zoner
    • Jul 2002

Re: Just curious, for those actually thinking/believing that we'll be good this season,

The post above is a pretty good reason.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Re: Just curious, for those actually thinking/believing that we'll be good this season,

EE nailed it, Wys.

"Negative" people like you and me who actually acknowledge that the team isn't perfect are driving everyone away. It's all about us- it has NOTHING to do with the team itself.

is there a term for megalomania applied to someone else instead of oneself?
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

Tell me Wys, what does MB participation have to do with a team's success?

And another question, while you sit back and say fan interest is down, season ticket sales have gone up. 5 games are essentially sold out, with the Bengals game closing in on a sell-out. These are all better than last season. I can also tell you, form living in the area, people are excited about the team's direction.

Fact is people have confronted you with facts and when they do you ignore them and fail/refuse to respond.

EE is right. One can't say anything about this team that is not totally negative without being told we are stupid, homers, unrealistic, blind, idiots, morons or whatever other name crops up by a select few.

It makes being on a MB kinda painful at times.
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Stewie
          Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
          • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Wys Guy
          ...how do you explain the notably lower levels of participation on Bills MBs this preseason than in past preseasons?
          Mostly because Bills boards have become overrun by posters like you.
          Originally posted by Topdog
          Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
          Originally posted by mercyrule
          I love Weiner.
          Originally posted by mercyrule
          also cheese

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

Actually Training Camp has been a big success this year. The night practices ran out of tickets very quickly and the fences/bleachers were always pretty packed with people. I have always seen a ton of Bills gear around the area lately and a bunch of people are getting pumped up for the season. I think that people don't expect playoffs, but they love what Marv is doing with this team and believe we are finally headed back up and headed towards something special.

Comment

• Buckets
              • Jun 2003

I know in past years there has been a lot fewer instances of personal attacks, fewer posters who believe everyone else is wrong and the're right and won't just drop it. If you watch the members on line and look at how many people are just looking as apposed to how many are posting you will see this board is being dominated by a few. The others are not posting because they don't want to put up with the bashing from the know-it-alls.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Re: Just curious, for those actually thinking/believing that we'll be good this seaso

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                Tell me Wys, what does MB participation have to do with a team's success?

And another question, while you sit back and say fan interest is down, season ticket sales have gone up. 5 games are essentially sold out, with the Bengals game closing in on a sell-out. These are all better than last season. I can also tell you, form living in the area, people are excited about the team's direction.

Fact is people have confronted you with facts and when they do you ignore them and fail/refuse to respond.

EE is right. One can't say anything about this team that is not totally negative without being told we are stupid, homers, unrealistic, blind, idiots, morons or whatever other name crops up by a select few.

It makes being on a MB kinda painful at times.
                it goes both ways- one can't say anything negative about the team- particularly about Marv- without being told told that we're "negative nancies" and "crybabies" and "not real fans".

For some reason, it's ok to say that Ashton Youboty has a "first round grade" 15 million times and no one complains. But criticize the Darwin Walker trade more than once, and not only does a legion of blind homers come up with a laundry list of BS defenses for the trade, but everyone complains about repetitive posts.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                  • Jul 2002

I fully agree with what has been posted after the thread opener.

I like this team more than any of the past four years, but the posts are all the same, just a different year, causing a loss of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                    The post above is a pretty good reason.
                    Seriously EE, do you merely respond to agitate, or do you have some real reasons? I know as a fact that when we started this site we lost a LOT of great posters b/c of comments such as the one that you just levied and others offering no substance at all besides insults and petty retorts. That was when things were much better. So touche!

I wasn't at camp. I'm also not known by 99.999999% of the people that attended there.

I mean if you have something intelligent to reply with, then do it. Otherwise if all you want to do is hide insults in seemingly benign statements, then just shoot me a note calling me whatever you want to if you feel impelled.

If I merely come here and "state" that MBs are slow w/o any qualifiers, I'd be lambasted and called all kinds of things such as "negative", etc.

So I'm asking a serious question. Someone told me in these forums that I was wrong, that interest was higher, or at least as high as in past seasons. Yet, MB traffic is incredibly slower on the eve of the season as it were. Why?

It's not b/c of me, I enjoy actually discussing football and not writing posts such as this one replying to posts with absolutely no substance associated with them at all.

Meanwhile, I will come back towards the end of the season to point out all the "See, I told ya so's..." and you and everyone else will be saying that you knew all that was coming all along. Whatever.

Why is it that MBs find it so difficult to have serious and intelligent conversations? Another good question. And no, the answer is not "because of posts like this one." Sorry!

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                      Zero for Zero!
                      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                      EE nailed it, Wys.

"Negative" people like you and me who actually acknowledge that the team isn't perfect are driving everyone away. It's all about us- it has NOTHING to do with the team itself.

is there a term for megalomania applied to someone else instead of oneself?
                      It is not that Op. One can debate with you without being called an idiot and actually have a respectful discussion. You will acknowledge, albeit begrudgingly, that all is not lost.

You might focus on the negative (i.e. JP missing one day of practice), but can see “Hey, Wire did play well.”

The inability to start any thread without it being turned into a “Levy sucks, the team sucks, Ralph sucks” diatribe is what does it.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                        • Jul 2002

I personally don't post on the Bills portion of the board much anymore is because I am sick of reading the same thing OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. It has NOTHING to do with my feelings on the prospects of the team.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                          • Jul 2002

I think the message boards in general has passed its peak. I remember chatting in chat rooms on aol before that died out too.

Has the sale of tickets followed the same decline?

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                            I personally don't post on the Bills portion of the board much anymore is because I am sick of reading the same thing OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. It has NOTHING to do with my feelings on the prospects of the team.
                            Same here. You can't change anyone's mind. I gave that up long ago. I mostly browse for news rather than argue ad nauseum.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                              Zero for Zero!
                              • Mar 2003

Re: Just curious, for those actually thinking/believing that we'll be good this seaso

Originally posted by OpIv37
                              it goes both ways- one can't say anything negative about the team- particularly about Marv- without being told told that we're "negative nancies" and "crybabies" and "not real fans".

For some reason, it's ok to say that Ashton Youboty has a "first round grade" 15 million times and no one complains. But criticize the Darwin Walker trade more than once, and not only does a legion of blind homers come up with a laundry list of BS defenses for the trade, but everyone complains about repetitive posts.
                              I agree with a good part of this.

But it goes even farther when one says "Wire might be a good LB" or "This what I like about Cover 2". Being a Bills board it is expected that some will be homers. It is part of fandom. But the old repsonses like "Marv is clueless" or the one you and I always squabble over (7 years of failure) are tiresome.

No doubt most can do better. But when one *****es about the Bills signing Andre Davis last year, who was never intended to be more than a #5 WR and ST guy, while barely mentioning the apparent potential success of Ellison, the focus is skewed.

Comments about this team being one the worst Bills team ever is as high hyperbole (Certainly others remember 1984 and 1985) as saying it is one of the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X