PDA

View Full Version : 3 technique and 2 technique DTs

Buckets
08-22-2007, 01:06 PM
I have a question, what are the responsibilities of the 3 technique and 2 technique DT's? I thought the 3 was supposed to plug up the lane and the 2 was the penetrating DT?

DraftBoy
08-22-2007, 01:11 PM
This should help;
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=119660

Buckets
08-22-2007, 01:16 PM
This should help;
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=119660

OK so based on that what is McCargo's resposibility and what is Williams responsibility?

DraftBoy
08-22-2007, 01:18 PM
OK so based on that what is McCargo's resposibility and what is Williams responsibility?

Not sure

OpIv37
08-22-2007, 01:29 PM

If they're on the field with each other, not sure.

If they're on the field with Tripplett, their responsibility is to try to fill both their assigned gap and his assigned gap because he's going to be nowhere near it.

If they're on the field with Tim Anderson, their responsibility is to do whatever they can to step over him and try to make a play.

hydro
08-22-2007, 01:38 PM
If they're on the field with Tim Anderson, their responsibility is to do whatever they can to step over him and try to make a play.

This cracked me up :rofl:

Buckets
08-22-2007, 01:38 PM
I guess what I'm eluding to is we on this board are criticizing McCargo of not getting penetration into the backfield but is that his assignment? Just asking.

RedEyE
08-22-2007, 02:53 PM
I guess what I'm eluding to is we on this board are criticizing McCargo of not getting penetration into the backfield but is that his assignment? Just asking.

Understand that the explanation posted is based on the run stop. On pass plays the responsibility of a 1 gap DT is the nearly the same as any. On most plays his job will be to rush the guard in order to contain or sack the QB. This is done in order to prevent the QB from stepping into the pocket and force the play to the DE, or if the QB does get into the pocket, then the DT needs to throw his blocking opponent and get to the QB himself. On certain blitzing plays the DT will even drop into coverage.

If you look back on the McCargo fumble recovery last week, most coaches would be grateful that he had a nose for the ball, but in the same breath they will also inquire why McCargo didn't beat the block or even put an arm on Snelling for the tackle. Wire caused that play to happen, McCargo was at the right place at the right time.

That's not to say that he hasn't looked good. McCargo had some decent plays last week.