PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for being a Hero

Wally The Barber
08-23-2007, 06:54 AM
Usually, We reserve the word " Hero" for the men over in Iraq or the firefighters at ground zero on Sept 11 ,2001 and they certainly deserve it!

But I would like to thank the "Heros" that infest the Golly Grail forum each and every day!

You see my friends, We have quite a few heros right here on our board everyday that want to save you from being to optimistic about the Bills this season and you simply do not appreciate their efforts.

You say POZ and Edwards looks great, and they point out "Its only preseason."

You predict a 10-6 season and these guys quickly respond 4-12.

You like the job Marv is doing and they tell you he is destroying the team.

We need to have more apreciation for the hard work that these guys do and without so much as a thank you from the board!

Most of these guys will tell you " I just do not want the fans to get too excited" or " I am just being Realistic with my 4-12 prediction"

Sometimes I wonder how we can be so foolish when we actually like the team.
The "Hero's" always set me straight.

For that, I say Thank You!

Excitement and Preseason can be a terrible....terrible thing!

They are "HERO"s......Each and every one of them!:cheers:

Now, If I can only get a refund on my season tickets (lol):help!:

LtFinFan66
08-23-2007, 07:01 AM
:bravo:

Buckets
08-23-2007, 07:20 AM
20 minutes now and no response?

BlackMetalNinja
08-23-2007, 07:22 AM
20 minutes now and no response?

A. the board is usually dead until close to 9AM
B. I'm all for a little optimism, but calling people heroes for being over the top optimistic is a little much in my opinion.

patmoran2006
08-23-2007, 07:23 AM
nutso

HHURRICANE
08-23-2007, 07:47 AM
This is like the 7th optimism thread. We'll see how "optimistic" everyone is by week 5.

LtBillsFan66
08-23-2007, 07:52 AM
:up:

OpIv37
08-23-2007, 08:06 AM
why get excited about something not worth getting excited about?

I could spend all day getting excited about my commute home, too, but chances are some jackass soccer mom in a minivan is gonna cut me off without even realizing it then I'm gonna get stuck behind a dump truck doing 60 in the left lane, then I'm gonna have to wait for the last light before my house 3 times cuz the ****ing county doesn't know how to time the lights. And in the end, I'm only gonna be pissed off.

The King
08-23-2007, 08:12 AM
I have always considered myself a Hero on these boards.

BlackMetalNinja
08-23-2007, 08:13 AM
why get excited about something not worth getting excited about?

I could spend all day getting excited about my commute home, too, but chances are some jackass soccer mom in a minivan is gonna cut me off without even realizing it then I'm gonna get stuck behind a dump truck doing 60 in the left lane, then I'm gonna have to wait for the last light before my house 3 times cuz the ****ing county doesn't know how to time the lights. And in the end, I'm only gonna be pissed off.

This post just epitomizes how you always expect the worst case scenario man... Even in your everyday life. I don't know how you can enjoy living like that.

HHURRICANE
08-23-2007, 08:13 AM

You make me fly higher than an eagle...your the wind beneath my wings.

BlackMetalNinja
08-23-2007, 08:16 AM

If nothing else, you're the hero of the Twilight Zone... you single handedly keep that place going most days.

OpIv37
08-23-2007, 08:21 AM
This post just epitomizes how you always expect the worst case scenario man... Even in your everyday life. I don't know how you can enjoy living like that.

it's easy. An optimist can never be pleasantly surprised. If I'm expecting the worst and the worst happens, I'm prepared for it. If the worst doesn't happen, then I'm happy because it was easier than I expected

I don't understand how people can maintain a level of blissful ignorance. To stick with the commuting example, if someone has a 10 mile drive that takes 45 minutes because of traffic, I don't understand how they can leave work every day going "maybe today won't be so bad!" Eventually, any sane human being is going to get frustrated and cynical about it.

patmoran2006
08-23-2007, 08:21 AM
Legendary

BlackMetalNinja
08-23-2007, 08:28 AM
it's easy. An optimist can never be pleasantly surprised. If I'm expecting the worst and the worst happens, I'm prepared for it. If the worst doesn't happen, then I'm happy because it was easier than I expected

I don't understand how people can maintain a level of blissful ignorance. To stick with the commuting example, if someone has a 10 mile drive that takes 45 minutes because of traffic, I don't understand how they can leave work every day going "maybe today won't be so bad!" Eventually, any sane human being is going to get frustrated and cynical about it.

I'm not even going to get into this with you past this post, but you would think if 90% of the population doesn't agree with your point of view or you're considering everything mildly optimistic as "blissful ignorance", that maybe you're not necessarily 100% right.

But I'm nobody to tell you how to live your life man. I would just think it could be much more pleasent for yourself and those around you if you didn't have to be so quick to point out the bad in every single situation.

OpIv37
08-23-2007, 08:30 AM

btw, I don't know why you say expecting my commute to suck is a worst case scenario. I've been doing it for a year and a half, and while it's definitely not a bad commute for this area, more often than not something happens that makes it suck. So, for me to expect something bad to happen is expecting the most LIKELY scenario, not the worst case.

See, when the end result is bad, pessimism is actually realism.

Earthquake Enyart
08-23-2007, 08:31 AM
Everyone knows that the policemen and firemen are the true heroes.

BlackMetalNinja
08-23-2007, 08:31 AM
btw, I don't know why you say expecting my commute to suck is a worst case scenario. I've been doing it for a year and a half, and while it's definitely not a bad commute for this area, more often than not something happens that makes it suck. So, for me to expect something bad to happen is expecting the most LIKELY scenario, not the worst case.

See, when the end result is bad, pessimism is actually realism.

That was one example, 95% of what you post on this board follows the same procedure though. I refuse to believe your life is so damn bad, that's all.

OpIv37
08-23-2007, 08:32 AM
I'm not even going to get into this with you past this post, but you would think if 90% of the population doesn't agree with your point of view or you're considering everything mildly optimistic as "blissful ignorance", that maybe you're not necessarily 100% right.

But I'm nobody to tell you how to live your life man. I would just think it could be much more pleasent for yourself and those around you if you didn't have to be so quick to point out the bad in every single situation.

I never said I was 100% right. I have good reasons why I think this team will be bad and the people who disagree with me sometimes have reasons and sometimes don't, but I have yet to hear any reasons good enough to counteract why I think the team will be bad. IMO it's the most likely scenario and I have a hard time believing how anyone could logically come to a different conclusion or why anyone would get excited about a possibility that isn't likely (albeit admittedly not impossible).

OpIv37
08-23-2007, 08:33 AM
That was one example, 95% of what you post on this board follows the same procedure though. I refuse to believe your life is so damn bad, that's all.

I never said my life was bad.

Apparently I'm the only one who understand the concept of an outlet.

Buckets
08-23-2007, 08:41 AM
I thought it was "expect the best prepare for the worst". Doesn't "expect the worst" have a tendency to make you a little miserable all the time?

OpIv37
08-23-2007, 08:42 AM
I thought it was "expect the best prepare for the worst". Doesn't "expect the worst" have a tendency to make you a little miserable all the time?

if you're not expecting the worst then you're not really preparing for it.

It's "hope for the best but expect the worst".

BlackMetalNinja
08-23-2007, 08:42 AM
I never said my life was bad.

Apparently I'm the only one who understand the concept of an outlet.

I never said I was 100% right. I have good reasons why I think this team will be bad and the people who disagree with me sometimes have reasons and sometimes don't, but I have yet to hear any reasons good enough to counteract why I think the team will be bad. IMO it's the most likely scenario and I have a hard time believing how anyone could logically come to a different conclusion or why anyone would get excited about a possibility that isn't likely (albeit admittedly not impossible).
A. I'm not talking about football, if you've read anything I've posted about my expectations for the season, they aren't all that high either. I'm talking about everything you post about in general.

B. You're proving my point... apparantly you're the only one that understands the concept of an outlet? Yes, you're right and EVERYBODY else is wrong.

No problem with having an outlet man, but that's become the only thing you do around here practically, ***** and complain about every little trivial and mundane thing.

Many here would say I ***** a lot too, and I probably do to an extent, but that's not all I talk about here, and it's usually not the trivial little crap you're bringing up to complain about all the time either.

Dr. Lecter
08-23-2007, 08:44 AM

A better example is that after 5 years of the same commute you find a new route. The first time you take it, the time is better, but is still somewhat slowed by construction. Once the construction is completed, and they are working hard at it, the ride looks to be smooth and efficient.

The King
08-23-2007, 08:46 AM
If nothing else, you're the hero of the Twilight Zone... you single handedly keep that place going most days.

Yea thats true.... I dont ever post over here. Most these guys just piss in my cherios.

OpIv37
08-23-2007, 08:46 AM
A. I'm not talking about football, if you've read anything I've posted about my expectations for the season, they aren't all that high either. I'm talking about everything you post about in general.

B. You're proving my point... apparantly you're the only one that understands the concept of an outlet? Yes, you're right and EVERYBODY else is wrong.

No problem with having an outlet man, but that's become the only thing you do around here practically, ***** and complain about every little trivial and mundane thing.

Many here would say I ***** a lot too, and I probably do to an extent, but that's not all I talk about here, and it's usually not the trivial little crap you're bringing up to complain about all the time either.

the trivial little crap adds up after a while. Maybe some people have the ability to go "oh well, doesn't bother me." Well, I don't have that ability so I deal with it by *****ing about it. But once I ***** about it, I feel better and it's gone.

You're proving my point- some of you people somehow think you know me or how I act in life because of what I post on a message board. That's why I say I'm the only one who understands the concept of an outlet- because people like you continue to think you can judge me or my entire outlook on life by a message board that I use for venting.

OpIv37
08-23-2007, 08:48 AM
A better example is that after 5 years of the same commute you find a new route. The first time you take it, the time is better, but is still somewhat slowed by construction. Once the construction is completed, and they are working hard at it, the ride looks to be smooth and efficient.

of course, then there's the people who think the new route is going to be immediately better because they have tunnel vision and don't even see the construction vehicles or the big unfinished section of road that they're approaching at 75 mph.

Dr. Lecter
08-23-2007, 08:48 AM
I'll attest to the fact that real life Op is not as *****y, cranky or miserable as MB Op.

If he was, Dora would have stabbed him years ago.

BlackMetalNinja
08-23-2007, 08:51 AM
the trivial little crap adds up after a while. Maybe some people have the ability to go "oh well, doesn't bother me." Well, I don't have that ability so I deal with it by *****ing about it. But once I ***** about it, I feel better and it's gone.

You're proving my point- some of you people somehow think you know me or how I act in life because of what I post on a message board. That's why I say I'm the only one who understands the concept of an outlet- because people like you continue to think you can judge me or my entire outlook on life by a message board that I use for venting.
Fair enough, but it's hard to gain any perspective on your life when all we see is you *****ing. Agreed? The obvious conclusion most would make is that if all you do here is *****, that must be how you are in your everyday life too. If that's not the case... then good, I'm glad, I'd hate for anybody to be like that.

I'm sure you're a cool dude for the most part, we tend to agree on a lot of stuff and what not when you're actually posting about other stuff, and we'd probably get along just fine in reality, but you're over the top *****fest message board personality has gotten carried away it seems. And I'm rather sure I'm not the only person with that viewpoint.

OpIv37
08-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Fair enough, but it's hard to gain any perspective on your life when all we see is you *****ing. Agreed? The obvious conclusion most would make is that if all you do here is *****, that must be how you are in your everyday life too. If that's not the case... then good, I'm glad, I'd hate for anybody to be like that.

I'm sure you're a cool dude for the most part, we tend to agree on a lot of stuff and what not when you're actually posting about other stuff, and we'd probably get along just fine in reality, but you're over the top *****fest message board personality has gotten carried away it seems. And I'm rather sure I'm not the only person with that viewpoint.

well one of my other lovely personality flaws is that I'm stubborn and I can't let an argument go, especially when I strongly believe I'm right (which is most of the time). So it tends to take on a life of it's own.

Also, other people here make it worse- there are several posters who like to follow me around and complain about the tone or the attitude of my post rather than the actual football content, and that's where it spirals out of control. Whether people agree with what I said or not, or whether they like my attitude or not, my posts always start out as football related (at least in this forum). I can't control how people react to them, and usually I'm surprised by it. I don't have any inside knowledge and I think my football knowledge is average for this board- I know more than some but less than others- so all I'm doing is predicting the most likely outcome. But a lot of people just don't want to hear it and that's when they come in *****ing about my tone or attitude and that's where it gets out of control.

BlackMetalNinja
08-23-2007, 09:02 AM
well one of my other lovely personality flaws is that I'm stubborn and I can't let an argument go, especially when I strongly believe I'm right (which is most of the time). So it tends to take on a life of it's own.

Also, other people here make it worse- there are several posters who like to follow me around and complain about the tone or the attitude of my post rather than the actual football content, and that's where it spirals out of control. Whether people agree with what I said or not, or whether they like my attitude or not, my posts always start out as football related (at least in this forum). I can't control how people react to them, and usually I'm surprised by it. I don't have any inside knowledge and I think my football knowledge is average for this board- I know more than some but less than others- so all I'm doing is predicting the most likely outcome. But a lot of people just don't want to hear it and that's when they come in *****ing about my tone or attitude and that's where it gets out of control.

Yes, I completely understand that and have seen it at work here many times... you're not the only one it happens to either. I really try my best around here to read the content of each post and disregard who it's coming from in terms of viewpoint. You and people like patmoran make some very valid and good points around here frequently, but they get dismissed right away because people just want to disagree with them no matter what.

THATHURMANATOR
08-23-2007, 09:13 AM
Way to go Wally!!!! :bf1:

R. Rich
08-23-2007, 09:19 AM
I'll attest to the fact that real life Op is not as *****y, cranky or miserable as MB Op.

If he was, Dora would have stabbed him years ago.

That is the reason Bryan and I share the "wile e coyote/sheepdog" type online relationship that we have. When we're away from the message board, it's all good, and he knows it.

justasportsfan
08-23-2007, 09:26 AM

:huh:

Meathead
08-23-2007, 09:50 AM
<-- hero

i am the wind beneath my ass

Wally The Barber
08-23-2007, 10:12 AM
nutso

You just can't please everyone!

Show a little apreciation:cheers:

justasportsfan
08-23-2007, 10:14 AM
when you expect the worst all the time, you send out this negative vibe/energy/aura. Sucks to be around that.

Wally The Barber
08-23-2007, 10:40 AM
when you expect the worst all the time, you send out this negative vibe/energy/aura. Sucks to be around that.
I used to have a fan that sat right next to me at the Ralph back in the Jim Kelly years.
The guy hated Andre Reed and called him a big meatball and not a team player!
When Reed made All Pro he just could not handle it and said the Bills will never go anywhere with him.
The guy was simply not a fan. Is only interst in the Bills was to display his knowledge of football and the guy eventually stopped going to games!
And we don't miss him either!

OpIv37
08-23-2007, 11:12 AM
<-- hero

i am the wind beneath my ass

that bean burrito I had for lunch is creating the wind beneath my ass.

Wally The Barber
08-23-2007, 11:51 AM
I am not sure about that!

Wally The Barber
08-23-2007, 03:39 PM
:up: