PDA

View Full Version : By Cutting Centers/Robinson We Now Have 2 Million Dollars More

Brian H
03-20-2003, 09:54 PM
Bills | Cap Savings - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
19:13 PT: Len Pasquarelli reports for ESPN.com the Buffalo Bills saved $2 million in cap room be releasing FB Larry Centers and LB Eddie Robinson on Thursday.

I must admit at first I was questioning this cause Centers caught a huge bulk of the passes last season but this does free up some good money........

ublinkwescore
03-20-2003, 09:57 PM
It's time for "Stay Puf't" Sam to sign along the dotted line.

Tatonka
03-20-2003, 09:57 PM
man.. we have alot of money.. what are we gonna do with it..

Tatonka
03-20-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by ublinkwescore
It's time for "Stay Puf't" Sam to sign along the dotted line.

no way he will ever be a bill, man.. absolutely no way he swallows that big plate of pride.

and td will not budge either.. not a chance.

Brian H
03-20-2003, 10:00 PM
If Sam can help the team TD will take the flack and sign him .....

RedEyE
03-20-2003, 10:02 PM
Great - we have the money. Now what are we going to do with it? There isn't a FA worth bringing in right now, or one that is interested in coming to Buffalo. The only other thing I can think of is that the Bills are beefing up $$ supplies to trade up in the draft to get a monster DT. Other than that what's the point?

Tatonka
03-20-2003, 10:05 PM
maybe some contract extensions?

/crosses fingers.

Brian H
03-20-2003, 10:06 PM
:pray:

Brian H
03-20-2003, 10:07 PM
Drew just got a signing bonus maybe thats how much lol

RedEyE
03-20-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
maybe some contract extensions?

/crosses fingers.

Couldn't the extensions have taken place before the cuts? The money was and still is there.

Tatonka
03-20-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by RedEyE

Couldn't the extensions have taken place before the cuts? The money was and still is there.

sure.. it was just a thought..

JefftheBillsfan
03-20-2003, 10:12 PM
I wonder if Houston is shopping that #3, Jimmy Kennedy anyone?

RedEyE
03-20-2003, 10:14 PM
Yeah - I'm just confused right now. I just don't understand the direction and stance that TD is making. Centers should have stayed if only for back up. Adams should have recieved a more resonable offer if they knew that more money was going to be free within the week. Enlightenment - I need some positive news about this upcoming season. I'm not feeling the playoff caliber groove right now.

Tatonka
03-20-2003, 10:24 PM
td offered adams what TD thought he was worth.. the available money is of no consequence at all.. TD is cold as ice and will not overpay.. period

that is why is very good in regards to salary cap issues.

Tatonka
03-20-2003, 10:25 PM
i really thought that GeeDubya loved centers to death.. nonstop about his leadership..

i think it just says a ton about what they think of henry.

venis2k1
03-20-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by RedEyE
Centers should have stayed if only for back up.

Paying a back up FB over a mil a year is a Butler move, I dont even think its a good idea to pay a Back up RB that much.

RedEyE
03-20-2003, 10:42 PM
Even if your recieving corp has vastly depleted over the year? The money was there. Obviously we aren't spending it elsewhere.

venis2k1
03-20-2003, 10:46 PM
Just because we have it, dosent mean we should waste it.

RedEyE
03-20-2003, 10:52 PM
Centers is hardly a "waste". He offers an extra recieving threat that Crosby will not touch on his best day. Now, I'm not discrediting what TD has accomplished, however, he cut Jay R (fine), then traded Peerless (great - we needed Takeo), now dismising Centers weakens throwing options. Reed has to prove himself using less weapons surrounding him. What if Henry goes down, or proves to be that fumbling bumbling benchable RB that we all fear, or what if he sustains an injury. Centers is an excellent step up man and provides vital leadership in the locker room. Crosby blocks for TH and DB - fine, but he isn't going to be catching any screen passes on 3rd and long. Bad decision IMO.

venis2k1
03-20-2003, 10:58 PM
Morris has good hands, and will finally be given a chance, and TH's catches will go up because of this...I also wouldn't be supprised if we picked up a pass catching TE.

RedEyE
03-20-2003, 11:17 PM
What TE? We already gave up one draft pick for a blocking TE. There isn't anyone available worth looking at. Sammy Morris has done anything for the team since giving the ball and losing to Miami when Flutie was here. I wish I could share in your optimisim Venis, but I don't like the move. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning to free up money that isn't going to be spent. You don't have to use all the cap, but it's a good idea to use some of it to compensate for holes in the team. TDs shrewd ways may have cost us Jenkins or Dyson, and Adams. I love TD and all that he has done for the Bills, but it's time to truly consider all options. I would feel better if we signed another solid OL to keep Drew off his back this year. The OL needs to really work on their pass protection, especially if the weapons catching the ball are thined out this year. Drew is going to need a little more time.

Ingtar33
03-21-2003, 12:24 AM
Calm down... I've seen an awful lot of panic over the cutting of Centers... Well if anyone bothered to read my postseason review you'd see that this is not exactly a surprising move. Go back to the front page and read it again if you'd like ( Bills Year End Review (http://www.billszone.com/YourSite/global/templates/view.php?state=news&action=YourSite_content&month=2&nid=4091) )... It would highlight some of my reasons for the cutting of Centers.

Simply put, I realized from about the Chiefs game on that Centers would be gone after last season. He telegraphed to the D what we were doing (it wasn't going to be a run if he was in), Henry had developed into a more dangerous receiving threat than Centers (Henry could run with the ball well after catching it and Centers couldn't), and was forced off the field too much due to having Centers on the team. Centers hurt our running game too much as he was a very poor lead blocker, and Crosby (again) wasn't getting enough time on the field because of Centers.

In essence Gilbride had to give Centers more time on the field than he deserved, because he had to hide what the Bills were doing when Centers was out there... as I said before, Centers was very expendable, as by the end of the year he was rarely used as even a 3rd down back.

venis2k1
03-21-2003, 12:51 AM
word up Ingtar.

Ebenezer
03-21-2003, 08:07 AM
The savings is only $1.4 million. Remember the top 51 count against the cap right now. So by releasing two players (making a total of $2mil) you need to replace them on the roster with two players (making a total of $600K) thus $2 mil-$600K=$1.4 savings.

Earthquake Enyart
03-21-2003, 08:16 AM
They better teach Henry how to pick up blitzers then, or Drew is dead meat.

Centers wasn't the greatest blocker, but Henry is horrible.

Ebenezer
03-21-2003, 08:19 AM
:hail: EE...completely agree.