PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Question

TacklingDummy
08-23-2007, 06:21 PM
Im not saying this is going to happen but if it did.

Seeing how Oakland is having a problem signing Russell.

Say the Bills do end up with the worst record in the NFL and they have the first pick next year.

Would Ralph be willing to cough up the cash it would take to sign the 1st pick?

SABURZFAN
08-23-2007, 06:29 PM
if that were to happen,i would hope that they trade down a couple of times and accumulate some draft picks.that's what we would need if we were to finish with the worst record.one player will not turn around a last place franchise.

TacklingDummy
08-23-2007, 06:38 PM
if that were to happen,i would hope that they trade down a couple of times and accumulate some draft picks.that's what we would need if we were to finish with the worst record.one player will not turn around a last place franchise.

I agree with trading down.

YardRat
08-23-2007, 06:48 PM
I'd bet real money they would trade down.

TacklingDummy
08-23-2007, 06:55 PM
I'd bet real money they would trade down.

Me too.

Simply because #1 picks usually are QB or RB. And the Bills already would have Edwards and Lynch to fill those holes.

Also because I don't think Ralph would cough up that kind of cash to sign the 1st pick.

I'd be all for trading down unless there was a Julius Peppers to take #1.

mayotm
08-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Im not saying this is going to happen but if it did.

Seeing how Oakland is having a problem signing Russell.

Say the Bills do end up with the worst record in the NFL and they have the first pick next year.

Would Ralph be willing to cough up the cash it would take to sign the 1st pick?I'm not saying this is going to happen but if the Bills win the Super Bowl....

Would you just go away?

HHURRICANE
08-23-2007, 07:31 PM
I'll bet money that the Bills won't come close to having the worst record in the league.

Oaf
08-23-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm not saying this is going to happen but if the Bills win the Super Bowl....

Would you just go away?
Lol, probably a lil harsh, but very funny nonetheless.
If we were to end up with the 1st pick, we'd be very hard pressed to find a partner that would willing to trade up for it.
Pretty much everyone at that position wants to these days, but rarely does it happen.

TacklingDummy
08-23-2007, 08:08 PM

Would you just go away?

Im sure the Bills will be finishing alot closer to the 1st pick in the NFL then to the Super Bowl.

TacklingDummy
08-23-2007, 08:10 PM
I'll bet money that the Bills won't come close to having the worst record in the league.

11349 Zonebucks the Bills will be picking anywhere from 1-10 next year.

HHURRICANE
08-23-2007, 08:14 PM
11349 Zonebucks the Bills will be picking anywhere from 1-10 next year.

Done. Please save this thread!!!!

patmoran2006
08-23-2007, 08:15 PM
1- Let me state that I do NOT think the Bills will have the worst record in the league.

2- It would be a double whammy if they did in your hypothetical scenario, because there is no way Wilson will give Calvin Johnson money to a rookie.. I have serious doubts right now he'll give it to Lee Evans, Losman or anyone else.

I've thought about this.. in the past, once the season was loss at least a part of me wanted to see how high we could draft.. With today's salaries and our bull**** cash to cap, even if we have a Top 5-6 pick I'd almost bet the house we'd trade it down anyway.

TacklingDummy
08-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Done. Please save this thread!!!!

:up:

How do you save a thread?

If the Bills have a top 10 pick and trade outside of the top 10 I still win.

If they trade into the top 10, you still win.

TacklingDummy
08-23-2007, 08:17 PM
1- Let me state that I do NOT think the Bills will have the worst record in the league.

2- It would be a double whammy if they did in your hypothetical scenario, because there is no way Wilson will give Calvin Johnson money to a rookie.. I have serious doubts right now he'll give it to Lee Evans, Losman or anyone else.

I've thought about this.. in the past, once the season was loss at least a part of me wanted to see how high we could draft.. With today's salaries and our bull**** cash to cap, even if we have a Top 5-6 pick I'd almost bet the house we'd trade it down anyway.

Thanks for being one of the only ones to answer the question.

:up:

chubluv
08-23-2007, 10:06 PM
It s Oaklands fault for not trying to sign a deal with one of the top players like Houston & other teams have done in years past.

SABURZFAN
08-23-2007, 11:24 PM
If we were to end up with the 1st pick, we'd be very hard pressed to find a partner that would willing to trade up for it.

:bs:

Oaf
08-24-2007, 12:55 AM
Why do you say that SAB? And why the groan?

LifetimeBillsFan
08-24-2007, 02:12 AM
While not absolutely impossible, I seriously doubt that the Bills will end up with the first pick in the next draft.

If they were to do so--as in your hypothetical--however, it would be due to one of three factors: 1.) a string of injuries to key players which would probably also have to include Losman (accompanied by incompetent perfornce by Nall, leading to the insertion of Edwards, a raw rookie, in the starting lineup); 2.) the failure of their defense to adequately stop the run due to inexperience at MLB and poor play by their DTs; 3.) the inability of their CBs to adequately defense the pass.

Unless both Losman and Edwards were to suffer serious, potentially career-threatening injuries, there is virtually no chance that the Bills would be interested in acquiring Russell. Russell would be coming in with no professional experience after a year out of the game and it would take a full year of mentoring him to get him even up to the point that Edwards would be at in terms of familiarity with the offense--which would mean that the Bills would be wasting a year in the limited careers of the young core of players that they are assembling for a sustained run at a title. Given the fact that M.Levy has been quite open in stating that he does not believe in bringing in a rookie QB to be the "saviour" of a franchise, I would be shocked if the Bills would show the slightest interest in trading for Russell as long as they have Losman and/or Edwards to build around.

On the contrary, depending on what players were injured, causing them to drop to the point where they would finish with the first pick in the draft, and the prognosis for their recoveries, the Bills might very well feel that drafting a replacement for one of those players would be a much higher priority than bringing in an unproven rookie QB prospect that had been out of the game for a year. In such an instance, they might choose to use that top pick on a "can't-miss" prospect at one those positions, but, more likely, I believe that they would look to trade down, remaining in the top 10 of the draft, to acquire additinal picks.

If the Bills plummet to the bottom of the NFL because of their run defense, I could see them very possibly holding onto that pick in order to take LSU DT Glenn Dorsey--who would have been a top 10 pick in this year's draft and has been labeled as the best senior in next year's draft by M.Kiper--assuming, of course, that Dorsey remains healthy and has the kind of season that most who follow college football closely expect him to have. However, I could also see them trying to trade down out of the pick, if the trade would still allow them to acquire Dorsey: with M.Vick almost certain to be out of the picture in Atlanta, B.Petrino might be very interested in acquiring his former college QB, B.Brohm, who, at this point, looks to be the cream of this year's college QB crop. Given the fact that that the best QBs in any draft class tend to be highly sought after and are usually drafted within the first 3 picks in the draft, it would not be a stretch to see the team with the top pick--in this hypothetical, the Bills--trade down a couple of spots with another team that wants to make sure that it gets the top QB in that draft class and still stay in a position to draft the player that they want at a different position. Since there are a couple of other highly-rated DTs who are expected to be in this draft class, in this scenario, the Bills could even afford to trade down, out of the top five, with a team that has a top 10 pick and still get a top quality DT, even if it would mean missing out on Dorsey, if doing so would net them more, better quality picks in the exchange (a la the E.Manning trade).

If the Bills collapse were due to the failure of their CBs or even the loss of a LB instead of their interior defensive line, IMHO a tradedown out of the first pick would be a virtual certainty. The only LB currently considered to be a possible top 10 pick is the MLB from USC and there is no CB that I know of in this draft who would merit top 5 consideration (sorry, no Deion Sanders-clone). If the Bills primary need were to be a LB or shutdown CB, one could easily be gotten with a lower pick and it would be in the Bills best interest to trade down and acquire additional picks that could be used to upgrade other positions that might have proved to be weaknesses.

So, no, I don't see the Bills being interested in trading for Russell. Not with what they have and what they need. Even if the trade were simply Edwards and the Bills first round pick for Russell and Oakland's first rounder, I doubt that the Bills would be interested because of the way the Edwards has played thus far and the difference that they would see between Edwards having a year of experience under his belt versus Russell having been out of the game for a year and needing to start from scratch following the trade. I think that the Bills would rather take advantage of the opportunity to add quality players and potential playmakers at more than one position or to "get their man" if they are sold on a particular player at a position of weakness, rather than take their chances with Russell.

Is that a detailed enough answer for you, TD?

SquishDaFish
08-24-2007, 05:19 AM
TD Ill take that bet too if you want another betting partner

jmb1099
08-24-2007, 06:34 AM
If the Bills found themselves in possession of the first pick and didn't trade it down and if there was someone who was without a doubt an absolute stud than yes, Ralph would pony up the money.

mayotm
08-24-2007, 07:56 AM
Thanks for being one of the only ones to answer the question.

:up:Nobody has answered because it's a stupid question. Most of us are fired up about the season starting in two weeks. Most of us don't want to think about a hypothetical situation that has the Bills picking first in next year's draft when this season hasn't started yet. It's just typical of your negative BS.

TacklingDummy
08-24-2007, 10:11 AM

334 ZB's? Sure

TacklingDummy
08-24-2007, 10:15 AM
So, no, I don't see the Bills being interested in trading for Russell. Not with what they have and what they need. Even if the trade were simply Edwards and the Bills first round pick for Russell and Oakland's first rounder, I doubt that the Bills would be interested because of the way the Edwards has played thus far and the difference that they would see between Edwards having a year of experience under his belt versus Russell having been out of the game for a year and needing to start from scratch following the trade. I think that the Bills would rather take advantage of the opportunity to add quality players and potential playmakers at more than one position or to "get their man" if they are sold on a particular player at a position of weakness, rather than take their chances with Russell.

Is that a detailed enough answer for you, TD?

Nice response.

I wasn't talking about the Bills trading for this years first pick, Russell. I was just using Oakland as an example.

I was talking about would Ralph be willing to cough up the cash to sign next years first pick.

SquishDaFish
08-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Whatever I have for zonebucks at the end of the season. Sound good TD?

PECKERWOOD
08-24-2007, 10:51 AM

Me too.

TacklingDummy
08-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Whatever I have for zonebucks at the end of the season. Sound good TD?

No more than 5K. Sure. :up:

TacklingDummy
08-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Me too.

3K? Sure

PECKERWOOD
08-26-2007, 08:46 AM
No cuz Ralph is cheap and Marv is senile.

PECKERWOOD
08-26-2007, 08:48 AM
3K? Sure

deal

ddaryl
08-26-2007, 10:37 AM

Would you just go away?

that post was money.... LMFAO !!!!

TacklingDummy
08-26-2007, 11:34 AM
that post was money.... LMFAO !!!!

I don't think we have to worry about the Bills winning the Super Bowl this year.

DraftBoy
08-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Looking at this next year's class you can bet that if the Bills had the #1 pick there would be teams wanting to move up for it. You have two players who teams will highly covet in Brian Brohm and also Darren McFadden. This is not a year will there wont be any questions as to who #1 should be when all is said and done. Some team will be willing to pay a big price to get a top QB or top RB. So if your scenario was correct TD, Id expect us to move down once into the top 5-10 and take a different player. Why 5-10? because I believe Marv will pay that kind of money, he did for Mike Williams when we took him 4. Yes salaries are inflated since then, but we could get a guy at 7 or 8 who would make similar money to Williams when he was picked and be an instant impact player. Names like; Jake Long, Sam Baker, Calius Campbell, Antoine Cason are some that are popping up in that range. Personally Id love Campbell.

PECKERWOOD
08-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Looking at this next year's class you can bet that if the Bills had the #1 pick there would be teams wanting to move up for it. You have two players who teams will highly covet in Brian Brohm and also Darren McFadden. This is not a year will there wont be any questions as to who #1 should be when all is said and done. Some team will be willing to pay a big price to get a top QB or top RB. So if your scenario was correct TD, Id expect us to move down once into the top 5-10 and take a different player. Why 5-10? because I believe Marv will pay that kind of money, he did for Mike Williams when we took him 4. Yes salaries are inflated since then, but we could get a guy at 7 or 8 who would make similar money to Williams when he was picked and be an instant impact player. Names like; Jake Long, Sam Baker, Calius Campbell, Antoine Cason are some that are popping up in that range. Personally Id love Campbell.

Calius Campbell? Can you explain a little more?

DraftBoy
08-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Calius Campbell? Can you explain a little more?

Sure;

Calais Campbell is a 6'8, 282lbs DE for the University of Miami he is currently a junior. Last year as a Sophmore he had 80 tackles, 10.5 sacks, 20 TFL, 16 QB pressures, and 3 FF. This guy is an absolute monster. He has speed that is beyond belief for his size and can both blow buy slow footed OT's or use his unbelievable strength to bull rush the QB. He is a little raw and needs to refine more of his pass rush moves to move up to the big leagues and he is so aggressive he will run himself out of plays. However he plays both the run and the pass extremely well and can absolutely blow up plays on a consistent basis. He is by far the best DE if he declares early (which I think is likely as a Redshirt Junior) and will likely be a top 10 pick maybe top 5. He is better than Mario Williams, but not quite in the same mold as Peppers. He is however a closer model to Peppers.

Hope that helps, oh and combine him with Schoebel and we would have one of the scariest DE tandems in football.

PECKERWOOD
08-26-2007, 10:25 PM
Sure;

Calais Campbell is a 6'8, 282lbs DE for the University of Miami he is currently a junior. Last year as a Sophmore he had 80 tackles, 10.5 sacks, 20 TFL, 16 QB pressures, and 3 FF. This guy is an absolute monster. He has speed that is beyond belief for his size and can both blow buy slow footed OT's or use his unbelievable strength to bull rush the QB. He is a little raw and needs to refine more of his pass rush moves to move up to the big leagues and he is so aggressive he will run himself out of plays. However he plays both the run and the pass extremely well and can absolutely blow up plays on a consistent basis. He is by far the best DE if he declares early (which I think is likely as a Redshirt Junior) and will likely be a top 10 pick maybe top 5. He is better than Mario Williams, but not quite in the same mold as Peppers. He is however a closer model to Peppers.

Hope that helps, oh and combine him with Schoebel and we would have one of the scariest DE tandems in football.

Thanks,
I like where your going with this, I'l have to catch a couple of Tha U's games this year. What about his attitude? Is he a high character type of guy?

DraftBoy
08-26-2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks,
I like where your going with this, I'l have to catch a couple of Tha U's games this year. What about his attitude? Is he a high character type of guy?

I havent seen or heard anything bad about him though Ill be honest I havent looked into it since he is not yet declared.

TacklingDummy
09-25-2007, 09:37 AM

How much you wanna bet? :lmao: