PDA

View Full Version : Everytime I get out, they pull me back in

Patrick76777
08-24-2007, 08:23 AM
I always forget why I swear off the Bills Zone. It’s like the Godfather, “Everytime I get out, they pull me back in”.

I totally remove myself from the place and then for some reason I creep back in. Then it takes me weeks to remember that I’m talking to complete strangers. And then I realize, why would I care for one second what these people think? I mean really, what's the sense?

Opinions are like A$$holes, everyone has one and most of them stink.

Why would I care?

I don't. Not anymore. Or at least not until the next time they pull me back in.

And it’s because I love football and the Bills.

Anyway, it’s turning out that I find the Billszone so depressing! I actually pity these realist guys. But the funny thing is, they pity the homers! They'll never understand us, just the same way we'll never understand them.

I long for the days when I was a kid and I didn't worry about salary caps, and personnel decisions and 40 times and 2 gaps and 3 gaps. It was just the guys in the red helmets vs. the guys in the white helmets.

I mean, being a backseat GM is fun to a certain extent, but when it gets to the point where you're not enjoying the action anymore, it's not worth it for me. I mean, it doesn’t make any sense to get angry because the team drafted a guy you didn't want, or refuse to believe that a guy who has struggled will see the light and become a good player, or that maybe that the player you thought was useless may actually be of some service or to get angry they are about to extend the contract of one of the best current DE’s in the league so that it’s just about 100% that he’ll retire with your team. Or maybe just be able to admit you may have made a mistake.

Watch any sports commentary these days, whether it’s TV, radio or print. It’s all the same. Cynicism, Sarcasm and Pessimism rule the day. And the sad part is that it’s permeating into the fan base.

Why is it that nowadays, “what if’s” are frowned upon? When did that happen? When did it become that you can’t say, “if only this play did this, or that play did that or if only we won that one game”? Isn’t that all part of the fun? Sure we lost by 2 TD’s, but if we would have picked off that pass in the first drive and were able to score right before half, it would have been a different game. God I love doing that! But nowadays, it goes against the sports medias mandated trilogy of sacraments, Cynicism, Sarcasm and Pessimism. Heaven forbid we actually entertain thoughts of happier times after a loss.

Am I to believe that:

I’m doing my team or myself a grave disservice if I buy into the GM’s plan?

I’m doing my team or myself a grave disservice if I want to believe that every player my team drafts will turn out to be an all-pro, even though I know in my heart of hearts it’s not going to happen?

I’m doing my team or myself a grave disservice if I’m hoping that maybe this year, the team that surprises the whole football world and rises from the depths of mediocrity will be my team?

I’m realistic enough to realize that most of this won’t happen. And I’m stable enough as a person to be able to live with myself if it doesn’t happen.

I go as high as a kite with the wins but I never go too low with the losses.

One thing I do know is that’s it’s not a good use of my time to sit here all day *****ing back and forth about the 2006 New York Jets with some guy from Virginia. And I’m not blaming anybody but myself for that. Like I said above, I get pulled back in.

I’m sorry I can’t be so wise and realistic like so many on this board. I’m sorry that you can’t understand how fun it is to be one of those guys on the NFL commercials, thinking that, “This could be there year”.

The differences between the “realists” and the “homers” can never really be settled.

In my opinion, the main flaw with the approach of the “realists” is that in trying to be a true “realist” they tend to over-scrutinize their own team. They’ll go to extremes to show you the weakness of their team so that they can say, “See, I told you so”. In the same vein, they’ll gloss over the same weaknesses in other teams. I tend to do the same thing when watching games. If the Bills go 3 and out on the first drive of a game, I’ll think, “Oh boy, we’re in trouble, this is going to be a long day”. Then I’ll watch the 4:00 game and some random team will go 3 and out and I’ll think, “It’s just the first drive of the game, they’ll get ‘em next time”.

The “homers” on the other hand, do turn a blind eye towards some facts. And I can’t speak for all of them, but I know that deep down I know the truth. I know that an Achilles injury is a 2-year injury and most of the times guys never come back from it. But last season, I willed myself to believe that BS from Spikes about being “Bigger, Better, Stronger”. And why not? What does it hurt to actually believe that your guy can make it happen? But deep down, I knew he would have trouble. I just didn’t want to believe it. Then like a true homer, the second he gets shipped to Philly, I think that he’s a bust and will never be back to his old self. Realists would be up in arms over this. But it’s football, it’s supposed to be fun. If a player is on our team, he’s going to be great, but the second he’s off our team, he’s a hack. That’s all part of the fun.

My friends all think it’s hilarious, because no matter how dire the situation looks, I can come up with a scenario for a turn around. And then I can make that believe that it’s possible. Then they get excited and say, “Why do you always do this to us”. Well I do it because it’s football and it’s supposed to be fun.

Anyway, just got sparked to go off on a rant today. It’s obvious that our differences will never be settled. I just think I can find a better use of my time.

That is until the next time I’m pulled back in.

Earthquake Enyart
08-24-2007, 08:25 AM
I love you man.

LtBillsFan66
08-24-2007, 08:37 AM
Great post! All true.

Earthquake Enyart
08-24-2007, 08:38 AM
I miss the hot chick stories.

Patrick76777
08-24-2007, 08:39 AM

God those were hit and miss. Some people hated them for some reason. I would just tell stories about hotties and for some reason people hated it.

LtBillsFan66
08-24-2007, 08:39 AM
Yeah man. you can post more not-to-serious. The Zone needs you!

I like the point about over-scrutinizing. No doubt, if OP was a Jets fan he'd be saying there is no way "we" can beat the Bills.

LtBillsFan66
08-24-2007, 08:40 AM
God those were hit and miss. Some people hated them for some reason. I would just tell stories about hotties and for some reason people hated it.
The best part was how mad people got!

Earthquake Enyart
08-24-2007, 08:50 AM
I thought most of them were hilarious.

I think you need to be married to fully understand.

Patrick76777
08-24-2007, 08:51 AM
The best part was how mad people got!

Wow, You're right. Maybe the'll have to make a comeback.

jamesiscool
08-24-2007, 08:51 AM
very well said pat.

hydro
08-24-2007, 09:07 AM
Well written pat, thats basically the same point of view i have towards all pro sports team i enjoy following. And i definitely agree this place can pull you in at times, even though you know you can never convince anyone you still try.

madness
08-24-2007, 09:12 AM

I second that.

THATHURMANATOR
08-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Pat is the Ying to Ops Yang.

Great thread Patrick. RIGHT on as usual! :bf1:

HAMMER
08-24-2007, 09:36 AM
I could not have said it better Patrick, great post! The Douchers really are a sorry lot, why bother being a fan? This game is cyclical, we have been on an extended down stretch, but Marv is bringing us back to prominence.

PECKERWOOD
08-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Damn, that post really brought the homer out from within me. :tear:

Nice post Pat!

Mr. Pink
08-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Honestly though...What fun is it to expect great things from your team when you've followed the NFL long enough to know that you just don't have what it takes to be "great?" Doesn't that lead you to disappoinment come the latter half of the season?

I, as a Browns and Bills fan, realize that come January both teams will be on the golf course. But that doesn't mean I don't want to see either team succeed. It's called not having false aspirations of what's going to happen.

I think the Browns will be 3-13 and contend for the number 1 pick in the draft, a pick they don't even have. I hate Brady Quinn, I wanna see him get broken in half actually. But, I'm still a Browns fan even though I and pretty much everyone else damn well knows that they'll suck.

I think the Bills are in year 2 of a rebuilding process that in all likelihood will force them to suffer a slight setback this year before they proceed to bigger and better things.

I still enjoy watching football. I enjoy watching the youngsters develop. I enjoy seeing the chemistry develop. It gets trying after a while when neither team is good enough to do jack come dec-jan but eh, what are you going to do? Root for the Pats?

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

shelby
08-24-2007, 11:14 AM
Honestly though...What fun is it to expect great things from your team when you've followed the NFL long enough to know that you just don't have what it takes to be "great?" Doesn't that lead you to disappoinment come the latter half of the season?

NO! Because that's why they play the games...anything can happen.
What sense is it to watch the season without feeling excited and hopeful that the Bills can pull off a win every week?
i'd just as soon not watch the games at all if i were so "realistic".

Great post Patrick!

justasportsfan
08-24-2007, 11:25 AM
NO! Because that's why they play the games...anything can happen.
What sense is it to watch the season without feeling excited and hopeful that the Bills can pull off a win every week?
i'd just as soon not watch the games at all if i were so "realistic".

:cheers:

After a miserable 70's decade and early 80's, MArv eventually turned the franchise around. Who's to say he can't do it again as a GM? It's only been a year since his return. Almost every successful franchise goes through a slump after a successful run. The 9'ers are the first ones to come to mind and the packers a close second. The bills aren't excempt.

Patrick76777
08-24-2007, 11:26 AM
I hate Brady Quinn, I wanna see him get broken in half actually.

Now this I just don't understand! From a Browns fan!

So if you disliked the playing style of Mr. Quinn during his college days, (I say disliked his playing style because i assume you're not you hate him as a person because that wouldn't make sense) but your team decides to make a bold move and make him the new QB, you have 2 options.

A. "God, I've never liked Quinn, but the guys in charge saw something and the guy apperently has first round talent, so prove me wrong Quinn. Go kick some ass!"

B. To just continue to hate the guy even though he's ON YOUR TEAM!

Why not just go with it? Maybe he'll be good! How can you be so sure that he won't?

justasportsfan
08-24-2007, 11:33 AM
some people here have also wished our players to fail. I just don't get that . I disliked Rob Johnson from the start but never wished him to fail because it would affect our team.

Mr. Pink
08-24-2007, 11:33 AM
Now this I just don't understand! From a Browns fan!

So if you disliked the playing style of Mr. Quinn during his college days, (I say disliked his playing style because i assume you're not you hate him as a person because that wouldn't make sense) but your team decides to make a bold move and make him the new QB, you have 2 options.

A. "God, I've never liked Quinn, but the guys in charge saw something and the guy apperently has first round talent, so prove me wrong Quinn. Go kick some ass!"

B. To just continue to hate the guy even though he's ON YOUR TEAM!

Why not just go with it? Maybe he'll be good! How can you be so sure that he won't?

No, I literally HATE him.

I can't stand him as a player. I can't stand his cocky, I'm the best thing ever, attitude. I can't stand him as a person for charging local cleveland people 75 BUCKS at a minimum for his autograph.

I'll go with I hope someone takes his leg out like LT took Theismann's leg out.
Fortunately, Steeler players love going to the knees of QBs!

Hopefully the Browns will only have this ass clown at QB for 2 years, after watching him throw 45+ INTs. He's a low talent highly media glamorized pretty boy. Nothing more, nothing less.

By the way "the bold move" should get Phil Savage canned after they pull another 3 win season. Crennel will be gone come the bye week. He is without a doubt the worst gameday coach in the league.

If you ever thought I was "pessimistic" on the Bills, don't get me started on the Browns.

Earthquake Enyart
08-24-2007, 11:34 AM
You're crazy man.

Quinn is going to be a good QB.

Mr. Pink
08-24-2007, 11:39 AM
some people here have also wished our players to fail. I just don't get that . I disliked Rob Johnson from the start but never wished him to fail because it would affect our team.

See, when Quinn was having his lengthy holdout I was PRAYING that Charlie Frye showed something. I'm still hopeful of this, seeing there is no way Quinn is gonna be starting in week 1. But the lightbulb is getting dimmer on my hopes.

I literally hope that Quinn never sees the field in the regular season. Which will only happen if Frye or Anderson shows something.

I don't think Quinn is anything more than another Rick Mirer. Problem is he's another 1st round draft pick who the team will give time to "grow" and watch him throw INTs left and right.

So it's not wishing he'll fail...it's wishing someone else steps up so I don't have to see his inevitable failure.

Mr. Pink
08-24-2007, 11:44 AM
You're crazy man.

Quinn is going to be a good QB.

Based on what?

His ability to show up against big time college defenses? Oh wait, he never did that. He got eaten alive by Michigan and LSU. But he lit up Air Force!

His ability to show up in OTAs? Oh wait, he was reportedly the worst looking QB on the Browns roster for those.

The pedigree his college has produced at QB outside of Montana? Rick Mirer was sweet in college too vs crap schools.

The fact that even the Dolphins passed on him as well as 20 other teams, including ONCE by the Browns themselves?

Cite me some examples of why Quinn is gonna be good?

I'll wait to see that he lead the Browns on 2 scoring drives vs the Lions 3rd and 4th stringers throwing dumpoffs to the RBs as an answer. Or that the media has played him up for a couple years now.

Earthquake Enyart
08-24-2007, 11:46 AM
What are you? The Browns fan version of TD?

Mr. Pink
08-24-2007, 11:51 AM

No I'm a Browns fan who is completely fed up with the BS the organization has been since it's re-inception. Bad headcoaching. Bad GMs. Bad Drafts. Bad FA pickups. Bad gameplanning. Bad conditioning. Bad players.

There is a reason the team continuously drafts in the top 5-10 YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR. Because they do bonehead moves like giving up an arm and a leg to draft an overrated hack like Brady Quinn.

Patrick76777
08-24-2007, 11:54 AM

I hope Quinn is awesome.

justasportsfan
08-24-2007, 12:00 PM
So it's not wishing he'll fail...it's wishing someone else steps up so I don't have to see his inevitable failure.
now that you put it that way...

justasportsfan
08-24-2007, 12:01 PM
No I'm a Browns fan who is completely fed up with the BS the organization has been since it's re-inception. Bad headcoaching. Bad GMs. Bad Drafts. Bad FA pickups. Bad gameplanning. Bad conditioning. Bad players.

There is a reason the team continuously drafts in the top 5-10 YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR. Because they do bonehead moves like giving up an arm and a leg to draft an overrated hack like Brady Quinn.
are you a version of OP on a browns MB? :idunno:

Patrick76777
08-24-2007, 12:04 PM
I can't stand his cocky, I'm the best thing ever, attitude.

-I never saw that out of him, but some of the best QB's in the history of the game have had that "Swagger".

I can't stand him as a person for charging local cleveland people 75 BUCKS at a minimum for his autograph.

-I don't know if this really happened, but I can't fault a guy for trying to make a buck.

Mr. Pink
08-24-2007, 12:09 PM
are you a version of OP on a browns MB? :idunno:

LOL

I actually don't post on any Browns message boards. I gotta give some credit to the powers that be around here, negative connotated posts stay up. If you post on the Browns main board negatively, either your post or the entire thread is gone. Plus reading threads of "the browns will make the playoffs" is not exactly what I call smart. Plus literally every NAME player that's released has an entire thread devoted to him. Even Gerrard Warren had a thread that Browns should bring him back. Apparently some Browns fans have a short memory of just how pathetic Warren was.

I could easily say the Browns are gonna make the playoffs and make up a list of "what if's" that it would take them to get there. I could make it even seem believable. Thing is, they'll be lucky to win 5 games and go 1-5 in their division.

What I'm hopeful for is after the inevitable house cleaning that is coming, they bring in the right pieces to field a successful franchise. To me, this year is a lost cause, will I still root for them and want them to win? yes. Will I expect them to beat anyone outside of maybe Oakland? Nope.

justasportsfan
08-24-2007, 12:11 PM
I hope Quinn is awesome.

I hope he becomes aprobowler. He said he'd make the fins pay for passing on him :up:

Mr. Pink
08-24-2007, 12:12 PM
I can't stand his cocky, I'm the best thing ever, attitude.

-I never saw that out of him, but some of the best QB's in the history of the game have had that "Swagger".

I can't stand him as a person for charging local cleveland people 75 BUCKS at a minimum for his autograph.

-I don't know if this really happened, but I can't fault a guy for trying to make a buck.

Never saw the attitude out of him? Did you miss his entire campaigning for the Raiders to pick him over JMarc? Did you miss him and his agent wanting for him to be paid top 5 pick money because that's where they thought he shoulda gone? Apparently you did.

The autograph thing did indeed happen. When you've never played a down in the NFL, are holding out and ALLEGEDLY are playing for your "dream franchise." You don't charge it's fanbase at minimum 75 bucks for the pleasure of having your worthless signature on a picture. I would link a story to this to show it did happen but I doubt you care much, so I won't bother.

Mr. Pink
08-24-2007, 12:13 PM
I hope he becomes aprobowler. He said he'd make the fins pay for passing on him :up:

Well that's good...if he shows up for that game anytime he plays the Phins, it'll help the Bills!

jpdex12
08-24-2007, 12:19 PM

I, as a Browns and Bills fan, realize that come January both teams will be on the golf course. But that doesn't mean I don't want to see either team succeed. It's called not having false aspirations of what's going to happen.

I think the Browns will be 3-13 and contend for the number 1 pick in the draft, a pick they don't even have. I hate Brady Quinn, I wanna see him get broken in half actually. But, I'm still a Browns fan even though I and pretty much everyone else damn well knows that they'll suck.

I think the Bills are in year 2 of a rebuilding process that in all likelihood will force them to suffer a slight setback this year before they proceed to bigger and better things.

I still enjoy watching football. I enjoy watching the youngsters develop. I enjoy seeing the chemistry develop. It gets trying after a while when neither team is good enough to do jack come dec-jan but eh, what are you going to do? Root for the Pats?

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

I'd bet the farm that you shut your TV off at halftime of the Greatest Comeback in NFL history! Guess who didn't? Is that why you whiners are so miserable?

Did anyone actually think that the Ravens would win the super bowl with Trent Dilfer back in 2000?

Patrick76777
08-24-2007, 12:20 PM
Well that's good...if he shows up for that game anytime he plays the Phins, it'll help the Bills!

So what happens if next year he starts all 16, 24 TD's 11 Int's and the Browns make the playoffs.

And, "It won't happen" is not an acceptable answer.

Mr. Pink
08-24-2007, 12:26 PM
So what happens if next year he starts all 16, 24 TD's 11 Int's and the Browns make the playoffs.

And, "It won't happen" is not an acceptable answer.

Patrick, you're a funny guy!

When you tell me how the Browns will have any semblance of a running game next year with Jamal Lewis only on a one year contract and Jason Wright and Jerome Harrison as the backups, I'll answer your question.

Mr. Miyagi
08-24-2007, 12:27 PM
Patrick you're the man. :up:

Down with the Nancies! F*** them!

Patrick76777
08-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Patrick, you're a funny guy!

When you tell me how the Browns will have any semblance of a running game next year with Jamal Lewis only on a one year contract and Jason Wright and Jerome Harrison as the backups, I'll answer your question.

The "realists" always refuse to answer these types of questions.

Mr. Pink
08-24-2007, 12:41 PM
The "realists" always refuse to answer these types of questions.

The dolphins have a better chance of winning the Superbowl next year than the Browns do of making the playoffs.

So while the John Beck led Dolphins thrash the Browns on their way to the Superbowl, leaving the Browns the AFC runner ups, I'll be blaming the loss on Brady Quinn throwing 4 INTs...the game clinching score coming from Jason Taylor picking off an intended screen pass from Quinn to Michael Turner.

Is that better?

Patrick76777
08-24-2007, 12:46 PM
The dolphins have a better chance of winning the Superbowl next year than the Browns do of making the playoffs.

So while the John Beck led Dolphins thrash the Browns on their way to the Superbowl, leaving the Browns the AFC runner ups, I'll be blaming the loss on Brady Quinn throwing 4 INTs...the game clinching score coming from Jason Taylor picking off an intended screen pass from Quinn to Michael Turner.

Is that better?

Nope. If the Browns have a playoff season, and the biggest reason is that although they have a subpar running game, Brady Quinn has had a fantastic season, what would your reaction be?

Basically, can you admit you were wrong.

I do it all the time. Most recently for Coy Wire. I hated the guy, but after watching last week, I think he can make a differance for this team at his natural position.

blackonyx89
08-24-2007, 12:49 PM
<HR style="COLOR: #f3f3ff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->I always forget why I swear off the Bills Zone. It’s like the Godfather, “Everytime I get out, they pull me back in”.

I totally remove myself from the place and then for some reason I creep back in. Then it takes me weeks to remember that I’m talking to complete strangers. And then I realize, why would I care for one second what these people think? I mean really, what's the sense?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Billszone,the crack website for the fanatical Bills fan. LOL! I'm one for sure.

:biggrin:

Mr. Pink
08-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Nope. If the Browns have a playoff season, and the biggest reason is that although they have a subpar running game, Brady Quinn has had a fantastic season, what would your reaction be?

Basically, can you admit you were wrong.

I do it all the time. Most recently for Coy Wire. I hated the guy, but after watching last week, I think he can make a differance for this team at his natural position.

I can admit I'm wrong if Quinn ends up being good at the NFL level.

However, there are no signs to point to that he will be. He was terrible against good college defenses. All NFL defenses are better than the best college defense.

And like I said, he was reportedly the worst QB on the Browns roster at the OTAs.

When you have accuracy issues in the NFL, you're in for throwing A LOT of INTs.

AndreReed83
08-24-2007, 02:07 PM
Great post!

I remember Bledsoe's second season here, both my dad and I were predicitng 16-0 seasons with a Super Bowl victory. My dad even! 60 year old guy predicting an undefeated season, how fun is that! Obviously that didn't happen, but man, it was fun having that much enthuisiasm for the team! Made that 31-0 shellacking of the Pats feel even better.

LtBillsFan66
08-24-2007, 02:20 PM
check out my sig!

Meathead
08-24-2007, 02:30 PM
http://www.abacon.com/sociology/soclinks/25313.gif

shelby
08-24-2007, 03:02 PM
i've :posrep:ed Patrick twice today......wow!

Yasgur's Farm
08-24-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm a :homer:

Well done Pat :bf1:

tat2dmike77
08-24-2007, 04:08 PM
I blame the madden video games. Everyone thinks cause they can win a title on that damn game that they are football gods. Hey a kid with an IQ of 4 can win a title on the game.

I know people are going to say negative things about the team. Go to the sabres zone and look at threads from the season (before the collapse in the playoffs) You would think that sabres were the worst team in the league. Like i have said you don't like the direction the team is going go hop on anther bandwagon. I wonder how many threads were started on Colts boards about how manning is a choke artist and how he sucks in the playoffs. Now he has a ring.

Some people will never be happy. I swear the bills could go 16-0 in the season win all the playoff games and the super bowl. And there will still be people saying this guy sucks, that guy sucks, marv sucks blah blah.

And this homer crap. So what if i want to believe the bills are going to have a good season. Is that so wrong? Is it wrong to hope for a good season? I know the facts. I know there are alot of rookies on this team. I know what players are gone. But god forbid i believe the team might actually do something this year.

Say what you want but i highly doubt all these "realist" could do any better of a job running this team. Although they would lead you to believe they can cause they won a few titles on madden. Yet all these "realist" still continue to shell out $$$ for tickets, transportation, beer, food, parking, and more beers on sunday for bills games. Why so they can sit next to fans and go see i knew they would suck. Is it that important to you to be right?