PDA

View Full Version : Bills Post Game Notes

B-DON
08-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Bills Post game analysis

After watching the third and arguably most important preseason game, i came away with some mixed reviews. Sifting through the B.S reffing and terrible run game, there was actually a football game being played. For starters, the offense had a few nice big plays but little consistency when it came to sustaining drives or running the ball. At its best, losman was connecting deep to both evans and price. At its worse, lynch was getting abused, although mostly not his fault. Our run game is piss poor. Period. Evans is a stud flat out. He catches everything and if you go look back at his deep bomb i swear he gave the DB a little fake like he was going to slow down for the catch then all of a sudden exploded for the TD. Just beautiful.

Meanwhile our D is still a major work in progress. No run D at all and our DB seem to always be out of position. To be honest, i think greer is our best cover corner. No joke. Ellison on the other hand, can not tackle McLovin with a 40 yard running start. To me, he is straight garbage. I hope he does not win the starting job. Wire, and i hate to say this, looked very good for the second straight week. He needs to get a shot with the first team.

IMPRESSIVE

Losman- on deep routes and his toughness. He is all out of Bubble Gum if you know what i mean
Parrish- anytime he touches the ball i get goose bumps
Evans- just a given
Price -had two beautiful catches one bomb and one nice sideline 3rd down catch
Nall- looked good but the wr got the dropsy's a few times when he hit them right on the money
Wire- was making nice plays every chance he had
Greer- is a stud imo. Another stellar performance
Fred Jackson- continues to be the only rb to do anything. Bye bye to Scobey and Shaud
Trent Edwards- Just makes really smart decisions

UNIMPRESSIVE

Losmans short game passing
The running game as a whole. O-Line and RB's
Run D was garbage once again
Ellison-see above
Tackling on D is way below garbage. Its straight embarrassing
The D as whole was very unimpressive minus a couple of players

Overall
This team is going to live and die on the big play. Whether its roscoe returning punts{had one called back this game} or Evans catching bombs, this is our only chance to be above average. Our D cant stop anybody so expect some shootouts. At least this season will be exciting win or lose. Also they mentioned there was no game planning for either the offense or defense prior to this game. Take it for what its worth.

im4bflo
08-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Good post, but it's still preseason, and I'm waiting for the cuts, and 2 more weeks preperation, before I judge the boys.
But at the moment, I agree with your post of this game.
What has to stop, is stupid penalties, that always seem to come at the wrong time for us, for example, Roscoes TD.
GO BILLS!

B-DON
08-24-2007, 09:21 PM
Good post, but it's still preseason, and I'm waiting for the cuts, and 2 more weeks preperation, before I judge the boys.
But at the moment, I agree with your post of this game.
What has to stop, is stupid penalties, that always seem to come at the wrong time for us, for example, Roscoes TD.
GO BILLS!

Good point. We definitely have a discipline problem almost as bad as our tackling problem

DraftBoy
08-24-2007, 09:22 PM
We didnt look good at any point tonight, Fred Jackson was our best player by far

raphael120
08-24-2007, 09:25 PM
Bills Post game analysis

After watching the third and arguably most important preseason game, i came away with some mixed reviews. Sifting through the B.S reffing and terrible run game, there was actually a football game being played. For starters, the offense had a few nice big plays but little consistency when it came to sustaining drives or running the ball. At its best, losman was connecting deep to both evans and price. At its worse, lynch was getting abused, although mostly not his fault. Our run game is piss poor. Period. Evans is a stud flat out. He catches everything and if you go look back at his deep bomb i swear he gave the DB a little fake like he was going to slow down for the catch then all of a sudden exploded for the TD. Just beautiful.

Meanwhile our D is still a major work in progress. No run D at all and our DB seem to always be out of position. To be honest, i think greer is our best cover corner. No joke. Ellison on the other hand, can not tackle McLovin with a 40 yard running start. To me, he is straight garbage. I hope he does not win the starting job. Wire, and i hate to say this, looked very good for the second straight week. He needs to get a shot with the first team.

IMPRESSIVE

Losman- on deep routes and his toughness. He is all out of Bubble Gum if you know what i mean
Parrish- anytime he touches the ball i get goose bumps
Evans- just a given
Price -had two beautiful catches one bomb and one nice sideline 3rd down catch
Nall- looked good but the wr got the dropsy's a few times when he hit them right on the money
Wire- was making nice plays every chance he had
Greer- is a stud imo. Another stellar performance
Fred Jackson- continues to be the only rb to do anything. Bye bye to Scobey and Shaud

UNIMPRESSIVE

Ellison-see above
Tackling on D is way below garbage. Its straight embarrassing
The D as whole was very unimpressive minus a couple of players

Overall
This team is going to live and die on the big play. Whether its roscoe returning punts{had one called back this game} or Evans catching bombs, this is our only chance to be above average. Our D cant stop anybody so expect some shootouts. At least this season will be exciting win or lose. Also they mentioned there was no game planning for either the offense or defense prior to this game. Take it for what its worth.

Gee, all the same problems we had last season. Got to love the progress, huh?

im4bflo
08-24-2007, 09:28 PM
I didn't get to visualy see the game, just read a play by play, so It's hard to comment, but what happened to Lynch, was it him, or the line?
And the tackling was pretty bad huh?

Cleve
08-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Is there much correlation, historically, between pre-season success and regular season success. I didn't think there was - but I could be mistaken.

kinigirly
08-24-2007, 09:33 PM
from what i caught at the bar everytime i looked the titans were passing with ease and scoring with ease. then when i see our O-line up we can't catch a break.
i feel like it takes a million times more effort to score some points whereas other teams breeze by us to the goal

HHURRICANE
08-24-2007, 09:40 PM
I watched the game. It was pathetic. "Vanilla" doesn't describe our gameplan but our talent.

raphael120
08-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Is there much correlation, historically, between pre-season success and regular season success. I didn't think there was - but I could be mistaken.

Well from waht I see there is a direct correlation to the shortcomings of our team last seaosn and the same shortcomings occuring during preseason

im4bflo
08-24-2007, 09:45 PM
I watched the game. It was pathetic. "Vanilla" doesn't describe our gameplan but our talent.

'gameplan' :snicker2: you think we game planned for a preseason game?

HHURRICANE
08-24-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm really starting to think that we are worse than last year. Robert Royal is still in there blocking and basically we have no ability to stop the run.

im4bflo
08-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Don't any of you guys remember the preseason games, back when we were going to the SB every year, for 4 years, we were always joking that it would be bad luck if we won one, because we rarely did.
preseason is for evaluation of players, mostly, they won't show too much until the season begins.

Meathead
08-24-2007, 09:51 PM
Is there much correlation, historically, between pre-season success and regular season success.
zero

but its fun to run around with our hair on fire anyway

HHURRICANE
08-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Don't any of you guys remember the preseason games, back when we were going to the SB every year, for 4 years, we were always joking that it would be bad luck if we won one, because we rarely did.
preseason is for evaluation of players, mostly, they won't show too much until the season begins.

Well I was evaluating the first string and it wasn't good. Did you watch the game?

im4bflo
08-24-2007, 09:55 PM
I'm really starting to think that we are worse than last year. Robert Royal is still in there blocking and basically we have no ability to stop the run.

Well our D line is well known to be our weekest area, and our young LB's need experience, so there is no surprise there, but no ability to stop the run, is a bit strong, at times they have. They will get better, promice, okay?!

im4bflo
08-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Well I was evaluating the first string and it wasn't good. Did you watch the game?

unfortunately no, but I did hear from you guys, they didn't tackle well, that's very frustrating, and maybe I was spared from that!

Nighthawk
08-24-2007, 10:00 PM

Please...don't compare this team to those great teams. This team is not good enough to just blow off the preseason and it is pretty obvious that this coaching staff isn't good enough either. Let's see how the regular season pans out, but the seat is going to get pretty hot under Dicky butt if he doesn't start addressing the same problems we had last year. Perry Fool better get a clue on how to make this defense perform better or we're in deep trouble.

raphael120
08-24-2007, 10:08 PM

Back then we had tons of talent and it didnt matter. Today, we don't know if we have much talent outside of Evans.

im4bflo
08-24-2007, 10:15 PM
I didn't say anything about comparing teams, just basicily, that preseason doesn't mean as much as you guys are freaking about.

Philagape
08-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Absolutely disgraceful. Total crap. Dominated on both sides of the ball.

Where to begin?
-- I'm sorry, but JP sucked. It was the worst I've ever seen him. He was a one-trick pony, and unless we score all of our touchdowns on long bombs, it's going to be a long season. His medium-range passes were disasters waiting to happen.
-- Lynch had nowhere to go, and what's most disturbing is the left side of the line did nothing for him. We're paying Dockery $13.5 million this year, and he has about $13 million to go if he wants to earn it.
-- JP can't use protection as an excuse; he mostly had time, but on one play Walker almost got him killed.
-- This is a one-man offense right now. (although I will say Price decided to start showing up tonight)
-- The D is as bad as advertised. Keith Ellison had a bad game, and Vince faked him out of his jock near the goal line. Tackling was awful.
-- Speaking of Vince Young, anyone who calls him overrated is out of their skull and doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. He's got the gifts, and he's got the IT. He looked better than JP.
-- The D was so bad it made Kerry Collins look like Peyton Manning.
-- Why the hell did the Bills kick a FG from the 2??? It's preseason!!

What's so disturbing is, these are things they should have down by now. Whether it's vanilla or not, they gotta execute. In fact, if it's vanilla that's even more disturbing because that means they're screwing up the fundamentals. Penalties were a big problem too.

I'm praying that when the season starts, they can flick a switch and show some signs that they know what they're doing.

On the bright side, I really hope Fred Jackson makes the team. The fourth quarter was all him.

Nighthawk
08-24-2007, 10:22 PM
I didn't say anything about comparing teams, just basicily, that preseason doesn't mean as much as you guys are freaking about.

For good teams it doesn't matter, for teams like the Bills...it means a little more.

Tatonka
08-24-2007, 10:58 PM

there is no correlation at all. but stop injecting any rational thought into the coversation..

we lost tonight.. and we didnt look good.. therefore, the season is just a after thought.. lets start talking about the 2008 draft!

im4bflo
08-24-2007, 11:08 PM
there is no correlation at all. but stop injecting any rational thought into the coversation..

we lost tonight.. and we didnt look good.. therefore, the season is just a after thought.. lets start talking about the 2008 draft!

That wasn't our final team, we didn't gameplan to beat these guys, and to think there's NO WAY we're getting better all year, is just nuts.
We're not SB bound, but we're better than that.

Oaf
08-25-2007, 03:12 AM

Fred Jackson was far and away our MVP tonight.

How can you say that about Edwards? Just like the last two games, he sits there, staring down his dumpoff RB, and then, surprise, throws it to him. He was just damn lucky Fred Jackson was out there instead of Shaud. To his credit, the one throw that wasn't to a RB was dropped and would have lead to a first down, but still, no way this guy should be ahead of Nall quite yet.

Evans, Jackson, Wire, Parrish, and possibly an Olineman are the only ones that legitimate performances.

NorthCarBills
08-25-2007, 06:14 AM

Funny someone remembers that "winning in the preseason is bad luck theory" too! Here's hoping that's the case this year.

Yasgur's Farm
08-25-2007, 07:45 AM
Some of you need to relax and learn how to enjoy being "just Bills fans" again!

Why do you bother being fans anyway? It can't be fun for you.

Philagape
08-25-2007, 07:56 AM
Some of you need to relax and learn how to enjoy being "just Bills fans" again!

Why do you bother being fans anyway? It can't be fun for you.

It's a commitment. It's ingrained. It's a relationship that goes beyond being "fun" or not. No matter how bad things may get, there's always potential for change. And there's forgiveness.

But I demand winning. Of course losing is not fun. And the underachieving of millionaires who charge $25 for parking to see them underachieve in person will draw venomous wrath. They owe us.

There's more than one kind of fan. Some are simply cheerleaders, and that's fine. I won't argue with them, because there is no arguing with them since their perspective is unconditional cheer no matter what happens. But there are also fans who demand winning and will give objective analysis and criticism when warranted. And for this team, it's warranted a lot. Neither type is less a fan than the other.

mybills
08-25-2007, 08:00 AM
I agree. When our first string plays a full game and bombs all 4 quarters, then you can freak out.

Yasgur's Farm
08-25-2007, 08:29 AM
:bandwagon:woot::gobills::holdhand:

Mad Bomber
08-25-2007, 08:45 AM

http://www.billszone.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10105/InFlames_copy~0.jpg

ddaryl
08-25-2007, 09:00 AM
There's more than one kind of fan. Some are simply cheerleaders, and that's fine. I won't argue with them, because there is no arguing with them since their perspective is unconditional cheer no matter what happens. But there are also fans who demand winning and will give objective analysis and criticism when warranted. And for this team, it's warranted a lot. Neither type is less a fan than the other.

Please be sure to add the other type of fan. The know it all, I won't stop posting replies until the whole world admits I am right and that I have the superior football knowledge, and anyone who tries to find a positive will be dealt with by my inability to do anything else in life but post replies and start new threads demonstrating my righteousness.

Homers can be over zealous in their desire to see the team become a champion, but the annoying post hoggers we get around here are even more unbearable.

The rest of us are stuck in between these 2 worlds trying to have that "objective analysis" conversation and watching threads desolve into those extremes.

***** My take on the state of the team based on 3 preseason games

The Bills are at best a 8-8 team IMO. We have absolutly no running game (I honestly do not involve the 2nd and 3rd team much when evaluating the team for the up coming season) , and that will keep JP from being as good as he can be. Being able to chew up 4 yards per carry dependably will force the opposing D's to play our run game and that should open up our pass O. Our pass blocking and blitz pickups are much better then last year. Right now I believe there have been to many WR's in the rotation with the starters. Last night JP threw a pass to some WR I never even heard of yet, and of course the WR took the play one way and JP trew it the other.... miss communication between JP and his WR's is a partially a product of to many different WR's rotating in to our starting rotation IMO

Our bend don't break D will bend and will break our hearts. We might move a few notches up on over all D from last year, but we ain't cracking the top 15, and we'll be fortunate if we're ranked 20th. I am not a fan of the Tampa 2, and each game I watch our D I dislike it more and more. Having an undeniably stud based DL is the only way the Tampa 2 can work well enough. We don't have that right now, and we will suffer some.

I am looking forward to the player cut down so we can eliminate the fodder and get the real team on the field and let them play and find their rhythm

Philagape
08-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Please be sure to add the other type of fan. The know it all, I won't stop posting replies until the whole world admits I am right and that I have the superior football knowledge, and anyone who tries to find a positive will be dealt with by my inability to do anything else in life but post replies and start new threads demonstrating my righteousness.

Homers can be over zealous in their desire to see the team become a champion, but the annoying post hoggers we get around here are even more unbearable.

The rest of us are stuck in between these 2 worlds trying to have that "objective analysis" conversation and watching threads desolve into those extremes.

That's more of a style than a type. I was just referring to substance. But you're right, there are those.

MikeInRoch
08-25-2007, 09:47 AM
But I demand winning. Of course losing is not fun. And the underachieving of millionaires who charge $25 for parking to see them underachieve in person will draw venomous wrath. They owe us.

You demand? Or else what? You'll sue them?

They owe you? Baloney.

patmoran2006
08-25-2007, 09:51 AM
UNIMPRESSIVE

Let me start by saying.. Good post. Well done.

I broke down and copied only this tiny portion of your post, because it tells it all.

The running game and run defense is garbage and until they get the personnel to change it, the run of mediocrity is going to continue.

You CANNOT win when you cant run the ball and the other team is allowed to chew the clock up and pound your defense down the field.

Philagape
08-25-2007, 09:56 AM
You demand? Or else what? You'll sue them?

They owe you? Baloney.

Or else I'll *****.

They owe anyone who pays money or time to support them in any way. I demand quality from any product or service I buy.

Yasgur's Farm
08-25-2007, 09:58 AM
I agree for the most part ddaryl...

But here's me (a homer) taking your own comments and applying my own logic.

We have absolutly no running game OK... Let's call it a wash from the McGahee era for now. It's certainly no worse... But we can expect improvement due to upside and line gell.

Our pass blocking and blitz pickups are much better then last year.Yup!!

miss communication between JP and his WR's is a partially a product of to many different WR's rotating in to our starting rotation IMOYup!!

We might move a few notches up on over all D from last year,Yup!!

The Bills are at best a 8-8 team IMO.Here's where I apply the homer factor.

1) Run game is a wash from last season.

2) Pass blocking is better from last season raising the O as a whole up a notch.

3) D looks like it's a notch better than last season.

4) All aspects of our team has upside... Which means we can expect improvment over the course of the season.

5) We finished 7-9 last season with the hardest schedule in the NFL.

6) 5 of those 9 losses were by 3 points or less... 3 of which were division winners... 1 a SB champ!!! NE by 2, Lions by 3, Colts by 1, Bolts by 3, Titans by 1.

7) With the moderate improvments listed above, we should expect to win 2 or 3 of those 5 games... Result... 9 to 10 wins.

Philagape
08-25-2007, 10:04 AM
Here's where I apply the homer factor.

Yeah, and that sucks.

2) Pass blocking is better from last season raising the O as a whole up a notch.
The blocking was fine last night but the O did not respond.

It needs many more notches. Vince Young AND Kerry Collins had their way, and the run D was typically weak

4) All aspects of our team has upside... Which means we can expect improvment over the course of the season.
Hope for? Yes. Expect? That's not a given.

6) 5 of those 9 losses were by 3 points or less... 3 of which were division winners... 1 a SB champ!!! NE by 2, Lions by 3, Colts by 1, Bolts by 3, Titans by 1.

7) With the moderate improvments listed above, we should expect to win 2 or 3 of those 5 games... Result... 9 to 10 wins.
Wishful thinking. Something has to dramatically change. A one-point loss is still a loss, and some of those close losses were due to the bad run D, which is no better.

Yasgur's Farm
08-25-2007, 10:08 AM
There's a reason why they call a negative a negative before it gets developed into a picture.

I suggest , if it makes you angry, you not pay to go to games (parking or otherwise).

Philagape
08-25-2007, 10:10 AM
It's the Bills who need to change what they're doing, not me.

ddaryl
08-25-2007, 10:14 AM

Yeah we can get better, and our youth should improve throughout the season. The run game is the pivotal point that needs to get better fast, and become a relaible consistent part of our O.

The D can be a notch better then last year, but last night they were a notch worse IMO.

I would love to see the Bills win a couple fo those close games and sneak out 9-10 wins, but if the run game and the D don't get better then last night, or slip into the "less then mediocrity" we saw last night during the seson we will be lucky to win 6.

Yasgur's Farm
08-25-2007, 10:16 AM
No disrespect intended phil... I just discovered a long time ago to enjoy being a fan.

Every season we and every other team has a 1/32 chance to win the SB... That means that there is a 97% chance that my team isn't gonna win it.

After 40 years, I got tired of being pissed off for the entire week after a Bills loss... Life's too short man!!! It's only a game!!!

Philagape
08-25-2007, 10:27 AM
No disrespect intended phil... I just discovered a long time ago to enjoy being a fan.

Every season we and every other team has a 1/32 chance to win the SB... That means that there is a 97% chance that my team isn't gonna win it.

After 40 years, I got tired of being pissed off for the entire week after a Bills loss... Life's too short man!!! It's only a game!!!

To each his own. I'm still young :D

and I don't think the Patriots and, say, Raiders have an equal chance to win the SB

Cleve
08-26-2007, 07:03 AM

LOL! I know you're kidding, but some of the posters make me think of this guy...

http://www.alicia-logic.com/capsimages/a_090BillPaxton.jpg

GAME OVER, MAN!!! GAME OVER!!!

Seriously, I think I'll wait until after 2-3 regular season games before I start to judge the season. Even back in the Superbowl era, the Bills had some lousy pre-season games. In fact I used to joke - if the Bills did well. in the pre-season, I'd be worried.

Philagape
08-26-2007, 07:56 AM
Let's see what this guy has to say:

"We're definitely concerned. We're definitely concerned. You always want to play better. There are clearly things we need to improve on, so we'll go to work and improve on them. We need to pick it up."

What's the name again? Oh yeah, Dick Jauron. Pessimist.

shelby
08-26-2007, 08:08 AM
Well, it's ok to be concerned when the fundamentals were clearly lacking on Friday night. i wouldn't be happy if he wasn't concerned.

But don't throw in the towel before the season even begins. Sooner or later we will actually win some games when they actually count.

Philagape
08-26-2007, 08:14 AM
Show concern around here, and you're told to :stfu: or you're not a fan or you're chicken little. Only happy thoughts are tolerated by some.

shelby
08-26-2007, 09:03 AM
Not true. There are simply certain posters who cannot acknowledge an opposing viewpoint without dissecting it. Anyone who tells you to stfu is wrong to do so, and feel free to bring it to my attention if it happens.

If we all agreed, this would be a very boring message board.

Cleve
08-26-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm no 'happy thoughts' guy. I myself suspect 1 Bills Drive has fielded a below-average team that will be lucky to achieve a 500 record for 2007. I'd love to be proven dead-wrong, believe me.

I just think the pre-season performance of the Bills has proven to be a terrible barometer to forecast what will happen during the regular season. The Bills could lose 100-0 in a pre-season game, and I would be no less optimistic (or pessimistic) than I was before the loss.

DraftBoy
08-26-2007, 11:36 AM
lets start talking about the 2008 draft!

I agree everybody to the Scouting Zone!!! Positional Rankings and Top 25 Seniors and Juniors are already posted!!