PDA

View Full Version : Ok, Time for my game thoughts

patmoran2006
08-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Sorry boys and girls; the hammer is about to drop. I enjoy most of the people on here whether I agree or disagree with them. But I'm also not here to win "most popular poster" and don't give a crap whether I'm respected or not.

Straight up with no bias, here are my views right now. Flame away

* The next person that says Vince Young is "overated" needs to go to the back of the barn and blow their brains out. You know NOTHING about football if that's what you think. He absolutely pissed all over our defense.. AGAIN. This guy is unbelievable. He's poised. He's calm. He's always in control. He's not the greatest passer in the world but he just simply finds a way. AND GOD is he elusive in the open field. Bills defenders looked SILLY trying to tackle him.

* JP Losman is MADDENING. He's basically the same QB he was 2 years ago, only older. He throws one of the prettiest long balls I've ever seen, but he continues to have issues with accuracy on shorter routes and decision making. I havent bothered to look at the stats last night, but how many passes SHOULD'VE BEEN picked off in the first half?

* Our run blocking is HORRIBLE.

* Our defense is just simply NOT good enough. This is getting proven more and more every week. WE cannot consistently stop the run against ANYONE and our pass coverage is nothing to brag about either.

* Poz is going to become a very good LB I think; but it's naive to think he'll be better than Fletcher as a rookie.

* Has Dockery done anything yet in these three games?

* One of two things are happening. Either Marshawn Lynch is struggling, or our OL can't block anyone to save their life.

I will hand out a few props.
* Peerless Price.. THAT'S the Peerless Price this team needs. Very nice.
* Lee Evans is one of the top 3 WR's in the NFL, period.
* On the few plays I did lock on him, I have to admit Langston Walker did a nice job of pass blocking.
=======================================================
Summary: Preseason or not. "Vanilla" or not. There are two things this team can't do and it's going to cost them the majority of their games.

1- They cannot block anybody for the run.
2- They cannot stop the run.

There's nothing vanilla or fancy about the running game. The running game is about smashing the other guy in the mouth and imposing your will. The Bills are HORRIBLE at both of these two things, and until they go out and get some real DT's and a few more OL who understand what its like to knock a DL on their ass; it's going to be a very longgggg season.

I understand fully its preseason, but the run and stopping it is about bringing your lunch pal to work and beating your guy. .NO science to it. This team is just flat-out not good enough there.

The talk that this could be a playoff team is humorous, they will be VERY FORTUNATE to get to 7 wins. Sorry.

Bulldog
08-25-2007, 09:45 AM
Sorry boys and girls; the hammer is about to drop. I enjoy most of the people on here whether I agree or disagree with them. But I'm also not here to win "most popular poster" and don't give a crap whether I'm respected or not.

* The next person that says Vince Young is "overated" needs to go to the back of the barn and blow their brains out. You know NOTHING about football if that's what you think. He absolutely pissed all over our defense.. AGAIN. This guy is unbelievable. He's poised. He's calm. He's always in control. He's not the greatest passer in the world but he just simply finds a way. AND GOD is he elusive in the open field. Bills defenders looked SILLY trying to tackle him.

* JP Losman is MADDENING. He's basically the same QB he was 2 years ago, only older. He throws one of the prettiest long balls I've ever seen, but he continues to have issues with accuracy on shorter routes and decision making. I havent bothered to look at the stats last night, but how many passes SHOULD'VE BEEN picked off in the first half?

* Our defense is just simply NOT good enough. This is getting proven more and more every week. WE cannot consistently stop the run against ANYONE and our pass coverage is nothing to brag about either.

* Poz is going to become a very good LB I think; but it's naive to think he'll be better than Fletcher as a rookie.

* One of two things are happening. Either Marshawn Lynch is struggling, or our OL can't block anyone to save their life.

* On the few plays I did lock on him, I have to admit Langston Walker did a nice job of pass blocking.
Summary: Preseason or not. "Vanilla" or not. There are two things this team can't do and it's going to cost them the majority of their games.

There's nothing vanilla or fancy about the running game. The running game is about smashing the other guy in the mouth and imposing your will. The Bills are HORRIBLE at both of these two things, and until they go out and get some real DT's and a few more OL who understand what its like to knock a DL on their ass; it's going to be a very longgggg season.

I understand fully its preseason, but the run and stopping it is about bringing your lunch pal to work and beating your guy. .NO science to it. This team is just flat-out not good enough there.

The talk that this could be a playoff team is humorous, they will be VERY FORTUNATE to get to 7 wins. Sorry.

I'd like to say that I disagree Pat, but I don't. Duke Preston got absolutely manhandled last night. If he's going to start at RG, this team is in big trouble. And flame away if you want, but Losman looks like crap. If he continues to play the way he did last night, Edwards will be starting by week ten at the latest. I was pretty discouraged after leaving the game last night.

patmoran2006
08-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Its so ****ing aggravating that we have a QB that can launch such a beautiful long ball-- but he's so god damn erratic and inconsistent.

He looked 10x better at this stage last year.

djjimkelly
08-25-2007, 09:56 AM
im not in the sky is falling mode yet. however duke preston is not an nfl player he was getting blown up all night we better pray nothing is truly wrong melvin fowler.

jason webster has not made 1 play in the first 3 games of preseason!!!

i have no problem with jp's play thus far.

we better pray we have been running real vanilla run plays with lynch because the o line has no push for running plays.

where is this teams intermediate passing offense we seem to be either trying 5 yard pass or 50 not really anything in between.

the digigirgio experiment needs to be put to rest!!!!!!!!!!

was it me or has ellison forgotten how to tackle. i hate to say it but im starting to pull for coy wire to take that OLB spot from elliison.

i however still believe this is an 8 win team give or take 1-2 games based on breaks and big plays. we are one year away.

chubluv
08-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Pat have you watched any pre season games other then the Bills games this year? If not I'll tell you that Vince Young looked like crap until last nights game, and even some of the national media was worried about the way Vince Young was playing. They were also worried and calling him overrated & not being motivated during Titans practices and games so far.

patmoran2006
08-25-2007, 10:02 AM
Pat have you watched any pre season games other then the Bills games this year? If not I'll tell you that Vince Young looked like crap until last nights game, and even some of the national media was worried about the way Vince Young was playing. They were also worried and calling him overrated & not being motivated during Titans practices and games so far.
I've watched very little preseason other than the Bills, mainly because I'm focused on our team.

If the media was saying that about Young, I think he pretty much shut them and everyone else up with his play last night.

BTW, has Keith Ellison picked up his jock strap that he lost on that Young run yet?

ddaryl
08-25-2007, 10:07 AM
I agree with the statement that JP's accuracy/reads on short routes are troubling. I also believe that our lack of a dependable running game, and the huge variety of WR's we are rotating in are partially to blame here. If JP doesn't work out these things by Dec his days might be numbered.

Our OL run blocking is suspect, it has little to do with Lynch IMO. There are no holes, but when Lynch does find a seam he gets yards.

Dockery seems fine to me, what is he supposed to do that stands out ? Pass blocking has been solid. I blame a lot of the 1st unit OL run blocking on Preston at C... he's a weak link there and it softens up the entire middle of the OL.

BuffaloBillsStampede
08-25-2007, 10:15 AM
I agree 100% about the running game. Lynch was getting hit before he had a chance to find a hole. The pass blocking was only a little better than the run. You must not have been watching the play where Langston Walker let his man run right by him and hit the QB, I can't remember if it was JP or Nall at this point. I like our recievers a lot, especially if we can find a way to get Roscoe more involved on some screens and slants. I think JP will be fine, but the 9-20 stat has to worry you wether it's pre-season or not. His blockers did a sub par job for him for most of the night and on the pick that he threw there was a guy at his ankles.

The Defense looked awful last night which sucks because I was getting some hope after the last two games. I think with the way that Coy Wire has played at LB how can they not give him a look at Ellison's spot, and it's not because Ellison has been awful but Wire has been that good. He has been making tackles for a loss regularly. I really believe that McCargo and Williams are our two best DT's. Williams was an absolute steal in the 6th round and McCargo is showing some signs that he will be a player. Once he gets some more game experience I think our run D will at least be better. POZ has to be the starter on day 1 because John D really has dropped off his level of play and done nothing noteworthy. Our CB's suck plain and simple. We need to really look into DB's next year in free agency or the draft because they are getting toasted. I liked what I saw from Al Wallace in the run game. I think he had two tackles against the run for minimal gains.

I think JP gets the whole year again and if he struggles then you give Trent a look next year in camp. I do feel a lot better knowing that we may have our next guy on the roster already instead of having to pick one next year and be that much further behind. Good pick by Marv and the boys.

Hopefully the team can get things straightened out before the 9th because it is going to be one pissed off Ralph otherwise.

duhbilz
08-25-2007, 10:25 AM

Good post, but it is still pre-season!!

Ingtar33
08-25-2007, 10:25 AM
the line sucked last night.

mostly the center and right guard were getting blown up time and time again all night.

there was one stretch play to the left, where a dt, blew past preston and was on lynch pretty much as jp was handing the ball off. I have to admit that was one of the worse blocking jobs i've ever seen from a "center"

there was very little in terms of holes. nearly no lanes developed all night.

sadly it looks like our 'center - right guard' issues still are glaring.