PDA

View Full Version : Sullivan's Column on our defense

patmoran2006
08-25-2007, 10:19 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/148350.html
The big news Friday night, this being a meaningless exhibition game, was the lucrative contract extension signed by Aaron Schobel. No doubt, I wasn’t the only one who had this reaction when the news came that Schobel would get a shade over $50 million over seven years: That’s Thomas Vanek money!

Wherever Vanek is these days, he can take comfort in the fact that he won’t be the only Buffalo athlete trying to justify a mammoth new deal. In the future, we’ll spend hours debating which of these guys was a better $50 million investment. When we tire of it, we can always argue the merits of Derrick Dockery’s $49 million windfall.

Hold on, I think Vince Young just burned the Bills again. No offense to Schobel. He made the Pro Bowl last year. He’s a double-digit sack machine, which is worth a lot of money in today’s NFL (the Colts’ Dwight Freeney recently signed for $12 million a year). Schobel is a better athlete than people give him credit for.

Copyright laws.

raphael120
08-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Call it vanilla, call it preseason, call it what you want.

But what I call it is regression. Not a single area on this team looks as if it's gotten better. The side of the ball that has benefited from little loss and much gain, the offense, actually looks worse than last season. The defense, I don't even want to talk about it considering I want to keep my breakfast down.

You call it vanilla? I call it the same glaring mistakes of last season.

You say don't worry? Oh I won't...but I'll tell you who should worry, Dick, JP & Co. Their jobs are on the line if improvement is not shown. Like someone said in another post....vanilla things like tackling and not creating stupid penalties was learned in pop warner.

I'm tired of seeing Lee Evans as the only bright point of this team. He will not carry the team, he cannot carry it by himself.

Earthquake Enyart
08-25-2007, 10:50 AM
Good thing Sullivan is a ****** or I'd be worried.

patmoran2006
08-25-2007, 10:58 AM
What's inaccurate in your opinion about the column from the '******'?

ParanoidAndroid
08-25-2007, 11:15 AM
I think all the hype about contracts is meaningless considering this is happening inside every NFL team.
The most glaring problem with the defense last night was the number of missed tackles. For a defense that is built on getting several defenders to the ball, they seemed awfully scattered last night. Ellison did not play his best game by far as he was victimized a few times by a simple side-step move. The good news is that we have seen him play better.
My personal theory is that all this "touching up" in practice instead of tackling has the defense rusty.

Earthquake Enyart
08-25-2007, 11:31 AM
I haven't been able to watch any of the games so I can't really formulate an opinion.

However, I've read enough of Sullivan's work to formulate an opinion on him.