• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raphael120
    Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
    • Oct 2005

Vanilla Plays Does Not Excuse Vanilla Execution

I love the "it's vanilla" excuse.

Listen, everyones using vanilla schemes in preseason, and not everyone else is sucking as much as we are.

Titans were vanilla. They put up 27 points. EASILY.

Bills put up points. Not by using vanilla plays, but by using plays we'll probably try again and again, the long bomb passes, because it's the only thing JP can seem to be able to do.

JPs short game just looked HORRID. If I had a dollar for how many times he freaked out and threw the ball away, or threw a duck because he hesitated to throw the ball and was unsure of his decision.. I agree with Pat, he actually looks worse than last preseason. This time he actually has a pretty decent amount of time in the pocket and he's still making bad decisions. And there were a few plays where he was just locked on to Evans and meanwhile there was Royal or someone else open along down the field. It's almost as if JP is too afraid to hit anyone for a decent sized gain of over 10 yards. This is not the type of decision making we should be seeing from our QB, vanilla or not. JP says he isn't worried about preseason, well I hope he treats regular season with more urgency because if I were him I'd be a little bit worried about my play thus far.

Last time I checked, a vanilla defensive playcall doesn't involve the play "LB Weak Zone Miss Tackle" and "Cover 2 Zone **** the Bed"

And I'm sure the offense didnt have "Mid Slant Overthrow Strike" and "Rollout Toss to Titans CB"
  • ublinkwescore
    Sab and TD are insignificant
    • Sep 2002

Re: Vanilla Plays Does Not Excuse Vanilla Execution

relaxe.

A lot of things change when the regular season gets here.

It happens every year.
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• raphael120
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ublinkwescore
      relaxe.

A lot of things change when the regular season gets here.

It happens every year.
      It better change, but the thing I'm talking about is the fact that nothing has changed from last season. Everything looks the same. None of the upgrades on offense have yet to be realized. Not even a glimpse of what this offense can do. It's just a glimpse of what has been done, and what has not been able to get us past 7 wins.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
        Sab and TD are insignificant
        • Sep 2002

We're gonna have up to 3 new starters on the Oline (hell, possibly more for all we know), it's gonna take into the regular season for them to gel, Evans will be fine, I think Losman as someone pointed out will be better when we start to gameplan against other teams - something not really done in the preseason.

I'm concerned about it a little bit, but I think Losman knows he's gotta pick it up a notch in the regular season, I just doubt that he takes a step back.
        www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• raphael120
          • Oct 2005

We're gonna have up to 3 new starters on the Oline (hell, possibly more for all we know), it's gonna take into the regular season for them to gel, Evans will be fine, I think Losman as someone pointed out will be better when we start to gameplan against other teams - something not really done in the preseason.

I'm concerned about it a little bit, but I think Losman knows he's gotta pick it up a notch in the regular season, I just doubt that he takes a step back.
          I wouldn't be worried either but its not JPs play so much as much as it is JP's demeanor and he's still spazin out and holding the ball too long and not making the right reads. He just seems timid and nothing is fluid with him. He just looks the same. It's not encouraging, you know?

Comment

• raphael120
            • Oct 2005

We're gonna have up to 3 new starters on the Oline (hell, possibly more for all we know), it's gonna take into the regular season for them to gel
            For as much as we're paying these fat boys, they better gel pretty damn quick.

Comment

• X-Era
              What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
              • Feb 2005

"It better change"

Or what?

Seriously, what will you do thats different? *****? Not go to the game?

I wasnt impressed at all with the game either but it doesnt count yet and I cant guarantee that the team will be as bad in a real game, theres plenty of reasons to think they will play much different.

Comment

• Mad Bomber
                • Jul 2002

In preseason, we do in fact go "vanilla". But I agree that execution is what matters. The thing that concerns me is the poor fundamentals (tackling, blocking, holding on to a pass when the QB hits you in the hands, etc.) that the Bills have shown so far.

This team is very different from last year. They are trying to get used to playing together as a UNIT. That comes with experience. We have a really tough schedule for the first half of the season, and I expect that we're going to go through a lot of growing pains as our O and D learn to play as UNITS.

What I haven't enjoyed so far this preseason is not the lack of team execution, but the lack of fundamental execution on the individual level. That, to me, is what preseason is about...honing your individual skills in real game situations, as well as finding out who will be given the axe in early September.

I have predicted since the beginning of the year that we will win 7-9 games. Right now I'm leaning more toward 7 than 9, especially when you look at our schedule.

I expect that we'll get lit up a few times at the beginning of the season, but as our team starts to get some experience and build some chemistry - and the schedule gets easier - that we will perform much better in the second half of the season.

Look out for us in 2008!

Comment

Working...
                X