X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buckets
    • Jun 2003

Anyone else had it with the Tampa 2?

The sad thing is we have been drafting and picking up players to fit this new scheme and I don't think it's worth a s***. I am beginning to think we are screwed as far as the D goes
  • Elminster
    #1 Kelsay Fan
    • Oct 2006

Re: Anyone else had it with the Tampa 2?

It's only pre-season. Over the first two games, they gave up an average of 11.5 pts./game. Last I checked, that was good. Our first-string defense, IIRC, gave up 14 pts. That brings the amount of points surrendered to 12.3/game. If you want to throw in the whole total, it becomes 17 pts/game. Still not too shabby. Forget yardage. It doesn't mean anything if the opposing team doesn't score!
    Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Comment

• Buckets
      • Jun 2003

It doesn't help our Ofense if the Defense is on the field for three quarters of the game.

Comment

• Akhippo
        • Nov 2002

Yardage is just as important. Im tired of seeing 70 yd drives from the opposition that only lead to 3 pts. It sets the wrong mindset when your telling defenders to just take it, take it, and try to stiffen at the end. You look at good teams, they have attacking D's. Tempo dictating defenses.
        Buy land in AK now. In ten years due to global warming, it will be the new tropical paradise, minus the tropics

Comment

• Elminster
          #1 Kelsay Fan
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Akhippo
          Yardage is just as important. Im tired of seeing 70 yd drives from the opposition that only lead to 3 pts. It sets the wrong mindset when your telling defenders to just take it, take it, and try to stiffen at the end. You look at good teams, they have attacking D's. Tempo dictating defenses.
          Indi's defense dictates a tempo? Most of the time, they get the tempo dictated to them, but they win. The key is the offense: it needs to step up and take pressure off the D. If the O can't score, the D can't open up and get aggressive. That's our scheme, as far as I can tell. The D is basically there to generate turn-overs and prevent the opposition from scoring touchdowns. Our D is out 3/4 of the game because our O can't stay on the field like it's supposed to...
          Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Comment

• streetkings01
            • Jul 2006

The Tampa 2 is only as good as it's offense! If the offense cant put points on the boards quick and force the other teams O to play catchup, then the Tampa 2 pretty much sucks ass!
            You can call me streetkings

Comment

• Philagape
              WIN NOW
              • Jul 2002

Like all football fads, the Cover 2 has a shelf life and will be figured out, if not already. Against a power running game and/or a QB who knows how to find the seams, it's useless.

To work, it needs All-Pro personnel (Bears, Bucs) or a prolific offense (Colts)
              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

Go Bills.

Comment

• Buckets
                  • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Philagape
                  Like all football fads, the Cover 2 has a shelf life and will be figured out, if not already. Against a power running game and/or a QB who knows how to find the seams, it's useless.

To work, it needs All-Pro personnel (Bears, Bucs) or a prolific offense (Colts)
                  I agree it seems like we are getting in on the tail end of efectiveness. I still like the 3-4 with blitzing LBs.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                    Defies all logic
                    • Oct 2006

I think our defense is what is going to keep the ball games close this year.
                    Our D > Our O.

Comment

• ddaryl
                      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                      • Jan 2005

I'm not a fan of the Tampa 2..... Bend don't break just means our D is on the field more getting tired and becoming useless by the 4th qtr when the game is on the line.

Of course the woeful tackling we saw against the Titans is a nail in the coffin of any D.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Elminster
                        Indi's defense dictates a tempo? Most of the time, they get the tempo dictated to them, but they win. The key is the offense: it needs to step up and take pressure off the D. If the O can't score, the D can't open up and get aggressive. That's our scheme, as far as I can tell. The D is basically there to generate turn-overs and prevent the opposition from scoring touchdowns. Our D is out 3/4 of the game because our O can't stay on the field like it's supposed to...
                        Indy is the one exception to the rule, because they have one of the best offenses in NFL history.

Buffalo doesnt.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

If we had another DE opposite Schobel who could play the run and the pass, and a DT worth a damn we would be much better off. We could also use two new CB's also but the biggest problem is that our DL does not have the adequate personnel to this point. Its not been ignored, it just hasnt gotten it right yet.
                          COMING SOON...
                          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• John Doe
                            Florida Man
                            • Jul 2002

I think the biggest weakness of our defense is not the scheme - it is the lack of experience in that scheme.

Comment

• Akhippo
                              • Nov 2002

It just seems like when you have something with to many working parts its bound to break. You have to have a specific type of player. They seem to have more responsibilities. And your O has to put them in the right position.

Why cant a defense where the DTs stuff the run solely. Sacks are gravy. The ends rush the passer. Run stuffing gravy. The Backers hit whatever filters past the line. Coverage ability gravy. And the corners can play either man or zone.

When you have corners that have to play cover 2 extra well, and backers who have to be able to run 20 yds downfield to cover, and DT's who have to be able to shoot the gaps to get into the backfield, alot of things can break down and lead to big gainers.

Ditch the cover 2
                              Buy land in AK now. In ten years due to global warming, it will be the new tropical paradise, minus the tropics

Comment

Working...
                              X