PDA

View Full Version : Patriots 2nd round pick only last year heading for free agency?

BILLSROCK1212
08-26-2007, 11:57 PM
Patriots | C. Jackson unlikely to make team's final roster
Sun, 26 Aug 2007 21:17:17 -0700

Robert Lee, of the Providence Journal, reports New England Patriots WR Chad Jackson (knee) is a long shot to make the team.

How do you draft a guy in the second round and release him a year later? Is he that bad or do the Patriots just have too many talented WRs?

Ebenezer
08-27-2007, 12:30 AM
Most teams keep five WRs

Moss
Stallworth
Welker
Caldwell
Gaffney
Washington

yeah...they're that deep...the only place that team is weak is at back up QB

PECKERWOOD
08-27-2007, 12:33 AM
Bring him in if he is released.

DraftBoy
08-27-2007, 12:54 AM
Not sure on his health but if this guy is cut, we need to pick him up

Michael82
08-27-2007, 12:57 AM
If he's cut, I want him here. He's a pretty good player if he can get healthy. And has a ton of potential!

Night Train
08-27-2007, 06:25 AM
If he's on the bubble this soon, the Patriots know he was a giant mistake.

don137
08-27-2007, 06:37 AM
Is it just me or is anyone else wondering about Moss getting cut. I can't remember if he has a signing bonus but if it is it is very little so their is little to no cap hit. He hasn't practiced almost the entire training camp and they are deep. Many feels his skills have diminished. I could see him being a surprise cut.

BleedinGreenNC
08-27-2007, 06:37 AM
Most teams keep five WRs

Moss
Stallworth
Welker
Caldwell
Gaffney
Washington

yeah...they're that deep...the only place that team is weak is at back up QB

Could you imagine what would happen to the Pat's if Brady went down?? Not wishing injury on him, but they would be in serious trouble.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
08-27-2007, 07:01 AM
Is it just me or is anyone else wondering about Moss getting cut. I can't remember if he has a signing bonus but if it is it is very little so their is little to no cap hit. He hasn't practiced almost the entire training camp and they are deep. Many feels his skills have diminished. I could see him being a surprise cut.

Don, I've not heard any rumors to this effect... I'd fall off my chair if it did happen... are you just spectulating or have you heard something?

don137
08-27-2007, 07:37 AM
Don, I've not heard any rumors to this effect... I'd fall off my chair if it did happen... are you just spectulating or have you heard something?

100% speculation...but lets face it the Patriots are the type of team to do such a move. It does make sense since he has not practiced so he has no chemistry with the offense, they are deep at the position and no real hit to the salary cap. He could cause more harm to the team because he could be in and out of the lineup with injuries all year. He is in his 30's.

hydro
08-27-2007, 07:49 AM
I would love to get a player that the Pats threw to the curb, and have him come here and tear it up. You know he would have extra motivation for the Pats games.

Mr. Miyagi
08-27-2007, 08:05 AM
I would love to get a player that the Pats threw to the curb, and have him come here and tear it up. You know he would have extra motivation for the Pats games.
History hasn't been kind to us in that regard.

Ickybaluky
08-27-2007, 08:09 AM

Trust me on this: Moss will <u>not</u> be cut. He may even get a little playing time against the Giants this week, as he is back practicing today (as is Asante' Samuel, who signed his tender and showed for the 8 AM meeting this morning).

In fact, the Patriots have been very pleased with Moss, despite his pulling his hamstring. He has been here all offseason showing the work ethic they want and fitting in well. In camp he pulled his hammy and they have been protecting him by bringing him back slowly because they don't want it nagging him.

But injuries, like his current hamstring issue, are a concern with Moss, who is getting older. It is likely he will miss some time this year. However, early in camp he was electric, showing the ability that makes teams fear him. He has the most natural hands I've ever seen in person, and he still has the ability to get deep and stretch the field.

If Moss fails, it will be due to injury. The Pats are very pleased him him and won't be cutting him.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-27-2007, 08:22 AM
There are so many receivers from Florida that just don't cut it in the NFL, not saying Jackson is a bust, but Florida players definitely benefit from the system.

Ickybaluky
08-27-2007, 08:26 AM
Robert Lee, of the Providence Journal, reports New England Patriots WR Chad Jackson (knee) is a long shot to make the team.

How do you draft a guy in the second round and release him a year later? Is he that bad or do the Patriots just have too many talented WRs?

Though this isn't beyond the realm of possibility, I'd be surprised if they cut Chad Jackson. He is recovering from knee surgery (he hurt in in last year's AFC Championship) and has been on the Active PUP all of camp. It would be natural for him to start the season on the PUP and miss at least the season's first 6 weeks. Troy Brown is in a similar situation, and will probably start the season on the PUP.

The Pats do have some difficult decisions to make at WR, and likely will release (or trade) a good player. If I had to guess right now, I'd say it was Reche Caldwell. Though he played well for them last year, he will be a 5th/6th WR this year and doesn't make a big contribution on ST. He has been outplayed (IMO) by Jabar Gaffney, who I think will be kept over him.

I think the Pats WR Corps looks like this (I think they keep 5):

Randy Moss
Donte' Stallworth
Wes Welker
Jabar Gaffney
Kelley Washington

PUP: Chad Jackson
PUP: Troy Brown

That leaves Caldwell as the odd man out. I think Washingon makes it over him because he plays on a lot of the ST units.

Another guy who may get cut who I'll be sad to go is TE Garrett Mills. Mills is an H-back type who has great hands and has flashed at times in the last couple preseasons. However, he has struggled with injuries and may have come back too late to make it in this camp. Some team will pick him up, and he has a chance to help them.

BTW, If Jackson or Mills are cut they are subject to the waiver system and won't be in free agency unless they clear waivers.

DraftBoy
08-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Though this isn't beyond the realm of possibility, I'd be surprised if they cut Chad Jackson. He is recovering from knee surgery (he hurt in in last year's AFC Championship) and has been on the Active PUP all of camp. It would be natural for him to start the season on the PUP and miss at least the season's first 6 weeks. Troy Brown is in a similar situation, and will probably start the season on the PUP.

The Pats do have some difficult decisions to make at WR, and likely will release (or trade) a good player. If I had to guess right now, I'd say it was Reche Caldwell. Though he played well for them last year, he will be a 5th/6th WR this year and doesn't make a big contribution on ST. He has been outplayed (IMO) by Jabar Gaffney, who I think will be kept over him.

I think the Pats WR Corps looks like this (I think they keep 5):

Randy Moss
Donte' Stallworth
Wes Welker
Jabar Gaffney
Kelley Washington

PUP: Chad Jackson
PUP: Troy Brown

That leaves Caldwell as the odd man out. I think Washingon makes it over him because he plays on a lot of the ST units.

Another guy who may get cut who I'll be sad to go is TE Garrett Mills. Mills is an H-back type who has great hands and has flashed at times in the last couple preseasons. However, he has struggled with injuries and may have come back too late to make it in this camp. Some team will pick him up, and he has a chance to help them.

BTW, If Jackson or Mills are cut they are subject to the waiver system and won't be in free agency unless they clear waivers.

Ill take Caldwell, Mills, and Jackson. We are pretty high up on the waiver system and could potentially get one of the two.

bigbub2352
08-27-2007, 08:42 AM
I remember Mills and Jackson i thought Mills would have been a great fit here, if either one is cut i would like to see them brought in, any way u look at it Mills has more talent than Matt Murphy and Kevin Everett, and jackson has more potential than Donovan Morgan, surprised about mills actualy, we will see

venis2k1
08-27-2007, 06:41 PM
good article about this in the boston herald today.

RedEyE
08-27-2007, 06:47 PM
Thus far every toss-away Patriot player the Bills have picked up hasn't exactly been stellar. They're that deep for a reason.

....BUT, can't hurt to give him a look.

Goobylal
08-27-2007, 06:52 PM
Since Jackson has been on the PUP list, as NE39 said, I can't see them cutting him before his PUP time limit is up. But I never was a big fan of his even pre-injury.

Ickybaluky
08-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Chad Jackson and Troy Brown were both moved to the reserve PUP today, which means they are out through at least week 6. After week 6 the Pats have a 3-week window where they can let them practice and decide if they should be activated. Once the 3 weeks are up, the Pats have to either activate them, IR them for the season or release them.

BillsFever21
08-29-2007, 04:34 AM
Like nobody else in the league might want him too? It's a lot harder then to just sign him up. We hear this with every player released.