PDA

View Full Version : Doug Gabriel anyone?

BILLSROCK1212
08-28-2007, 12:16 AM
POSTED 8:42 p.m. EDT; UPDATED 10:06 p.m. EDT, August 27, 2007

GABRIEL A SURPRISE CUT IN OAKLAND

The roster moves in advance of Tuesday's deadline for trimming the teams to 75 players included a few surprises.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Raiders have cut veteran receiver Doug Gabriel.

Other cuts occurring throughout the day included Jets receiver Tim Dwight, Jags tight end Jermaine Wiggins, Steelers running back Kevan Barlow, and Redskins receiver Todd Pinkston.

Avoiding the Turk, for now, was Ravens quarterback Troy Smith, the 2006 Heisman Trophy winner who was selected by Baltimore in round five of the draft.

On Saturday, teams must get down to 53 players.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Gabriel is 6'2 and 215 so he would pring some size and he is also one of my favorite WRs to watch when he is on a roll.....Jermaine Wiggins who is also mentioned in this article wouldn't be a bad addition, he is a good blocker and can pose a dangerous threat to the opponent if the leave him open.

Night Train
08-28-2007, 02:37 AM
Gabriel was the QB from North Carolina converted to WR, correct ? I wonder what happened, since he made many positive plays for the Raiders. He definitely can catch.

Ickybaluky
08-28-2007, 05:39 AM
The Patriots cut Gabriel last year, despite being WR-needy, because he couldn't learn the offense. He was constantly making the wrong reads and running the wrong routes. He has size and speed to get downfield, but that is the only route he runs well (a go route).

Wiggins should definitely get a shot with someone. He isn't the fastest TE in the book or the greatest blocker, but he has great hands and can help in the passing game. He averaged 62 receptions a year the last 3 seasons with Minnesota, so he can get open. He is the type of guy who makes some big catches to keep drives moving.

Captain gameboy
08-28-2007, 06:52 AM
Gabriel was the QB from North Carolina converted to WR, correct ? I wonder what happened, since he made many positive plays for the Raiders. He definitely can catch.

I believe you are thinking of Ronald Curry.

Gabriel was a Central Florida guy. 5th rounder.

Night Train
08-28-2007, 06:53 AM
I believe you are thinking of Ronald Curry.
You are correct. Thank You.

DraftBoy
08-28-2007, 07:43 AM
NE hit the nail on the head Gabriel is extremely fast but aint too bright and has trouble with route reads and adjustments.

bigbub2352
08-28-2007, 08:16 AM
I dont see how bringing him and Pinkston in would be a problem, see if they can aclimate themselves quickly, we need someone in the redzone, and if we got to keep 6, just to have a guy who is over 5'10 in the redzone would be nice, i know aiken is 6'2 but i have yet to see him in the endzone ever in his career sooo.... i say lets see if they can do anything for us, i would take Wiggins over Nuefeld, Everett and murphy, he can at least get open in the middle of the feild and has good hands