PDA

View Full Version : Players ears are ringing after poor performance

Wally The Barber
08-28-2007, 06:56 AM
I watched the game over and over this weekend and I refuse to over react because the team played like garbage last week.
I will be concerned if they do it again Thursday night!

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/150155.html

mybills
08-28-2007, 07:03 AM
broken foot, concussion, stomach problems...:ill:

Wally The Barber
08-28-2007, 07:08 AM
I watched the game over and over this weekend and I am sure most of the problems are correctable and I am glad the players are hearing about it from the coaches!

I am starting to worry about the CB position as Kawalkee Thomas, Terence McGee are injured and Webster has always had injury problems!

Ahhhhh Marv ? :help:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/150155.html

don137
08-28-2007, 07:11 AM
I know it is preseason but I am getting a little nervous about the Bills overall play and the too frequent "correctable" mistakes. While I see many teams showing progress in preseason and I know everyone keeps it vanilla in the preseason but it just seems to keep seeing the Bills stuck in neutral and do not see much improvement from game one to game three. I am wondering if Jauron is being too soft on these guys. I wish the OL would gel more even if Preston is in there and they would do a better job defensively.
Since it is pre-season I am not panicking but I am not going into the season with feeling good about how the pre-season went.

Wally The Barber
08-28-2007, 07:23 AM
I know it is preseason but I am getting a little nervous about the Bills overall play and the too frequent "correctable" mistakes. While I see many teams showing progress in preseason and I know everyone keeps it vanilla in the preseason but it just seems to keep seeing the Bills stuck in neutral and do not see much improvement from game one to game three. I am wondering if Jauron is being too soft on these guys. I wish the OL would gel more even if Preston is in there and they would do a better job defensively.
Since it is pre-season I am not panicking but I am not going into the season with feeling good about how the pre-season went.

Marv Levy and Dick Jauron believe in playing everyone on the roster and it can get ugly somewtimes!
I will be worried after Thursday night!

Bulldog
08-28-2007, 07:28 AM
Marv Levy and Dick Jauron believe in playing everyone on the roster and it can get ugly somewtimes!
I will be worried after Thursday night!

Every teams plays most of their players in preseason. It's not like Buffalo is playing another teams starters with thier scrubs. If you're not concerned with what you've seen so far, then I don't know what to tell you.

Night Train
08-28-2007, 07:31 AM
I'll know what we have after the 1st 5 games have been played.

Wally The Barber
08-28-2007, 07:31 AM
Every teams plays most of their players in preseason. It's not like Buffalo is playing another teams starters with thier scrubs. If you're not concerned with what you've seen so far, then I don't know what to tell you.

Not concerned at all!

Marv Levy teams never look good in Preseason!

He has 1 win ,and that was this year!

Marv has always givin his players a better look then other teams!

mybills
08-28-2007, 07:51 AM
Pre season is for evaluating. When they are done evaluating, they'll put the best players on the field for the REAL games. I don't know what is so hard to understand about that.
:scratch:

Wally The Barber
08-28-2007, 07:56 AM
I'll know what we have after the 1st 5 games have been played.

You got that right!

Wally The Barber
08-28-2007, 07:57 AM
Pre season is for evaluating. When they are done evaluating, they'll put the best players on the field for the REAL games. I don't know what is so hard to understand about that.

Preseason games can fool alot of fans....happens every year!

don137
08-28-2007, 08:16 AM
The big difference between Marv Levy's teams when he was coaching and now is back then he had quality veterans with great leaders. They could get away with not playing much or making mistakes because everyone knew they would be ready when the season started. This team is young, inexperienced and with so many new starters there is not much cohesion and makes too many mistakes. This is not hockey where you can recover from a bad start because it is a long season. The NFL has only 16 games and the team needs to be ready for the first game. Right now who can say this team will be ready.

In the past few years Buffalo has been very slow out of the gate and finished strong. This teams need to start strong especially with there schedule.

Buckets
08-28-2007, 08:28 AM
The big difference between Marv Levy's teams when he was coaching and now is back then he had quality veterans with great leaders. They could get away with not playing much or making mistakes because everyone knew they would be ready when the season started. This team is young, inexperienced and with so many new starters there is not much cohesion and makes too many mistakes. This is not hockey where you can recover from a bad start because it is a long season. The NFL has only 16 games and the team needs to be ready for the first game. Right now who can say this team will be ready.

In the past few years Buffalo has been very slow out of the gate and finished strong. This teams need to start strong especially with there schedule.

I've heard this before, but they didn't start off "quality veterans" that came after a few years of few win preseasons. Toward the end Bruce Smith didn't even show up for training camp the first week but not at the start of his career. It has been Marves philosophy that preseason is to evaluate, damn the win loss record. We used to ***** and moan back then too.

Wally The Barber
08-28-2007, 10:24 AM
I've heard this before, but they didn't start off "quality veterans" that came after a few years of few win preseasons. Toward the end Bruce Smith didn't even show up for training camp the first week but not at the start of his career. It has been Marves philosophy that preseason is to evaluate, damn the win loss record. We used to ***** and moan back then too.

Lets hope you are right!

Michael82
08-28-2007, 10:38 AM
The thing that bothers me is that it's Jauron's fault for why this team looks so lousy with playing football. The truth is that those 3 games are the closest that they have been to regular football, tackling and all that stuff since last year. This has been one of the lamest camps in a while. It was definitely Club Dick. There was no tackling at all, even in the night practices. If there was a tackle or hard hit, the coaches would tell the players to let up a little. There was only 3 freaking two-a-days and they were all in the first weekend. If you want to know why the team doesn't look prepared....maybe it's because of lack of practice! If Coach Jauron and his assistants want to know who to blame, I say that they point the finger at themselves for basically using training camp as another OTAs/mini-camp. :ill:

Wally The Barber
08-28-2007, 10:42 AM
The thing that bothers me is that it's Jauron's fault for why this team looks so lousy with playing football. The truth is that those 3 games are the closest that they have been to regular football, tackling and all that stuff since last year. This has been one of the lamest camps in a while. It was definitely Club Dick. There was no tackling at all, even in the night practices. If there was a tackle or hard hit, the coaches would tell the players to let up a little. There was only 3 freaking two-a-days and they were all in the first weekend. If you want to know why the team doesn't look prepared....maybe it's because of lack of practice! If Coach Jauron and his assistants want to know who to blame, I say that they point the finger at themselves for basically using training camp as another OTAs/mini-camp. :ill:
I think the blame can be placed nearly everywhere.

The players are not responding as well!

Marv has some holes and so far Al Wallace is the only signing!

Voltron
08-28-2007, 11:05 AM
I don't agree with that 100% Mikey. These men are supposed to be professionals, they are supposed to do the work that is asked of them and put in 100% in all your preparation. I think the coaches are giving them the tools and information to succeed. If they don't utilize that information to the fullest how is that the coaches fault? I will agree that the coaches need to motivate their players to get to that level though.

Bulldog
08-28-2007, 11:28 AM

Why is it so hard to understand that when the starters have been in the game, Buffalo has looked pathetic. So you're telling me that when the regular season starts, Losman is suddenly going to gain control of his accuracy? You do realize that Buffalo's starting defense got manhandled by the Titans 2nd stringers right? I want to see this team do well just as much as the next guy, but from what I saw at the game on Friday, I won't be holding my breath.

don137
08-28-2007, 11:31 AM
I don't agree with that 100% Mikey. These men are supposed to be professionals, they are supposed to do the work that is asked of them and put in 100% in all your preparation. I think the coaches are giving them the tools and information to succeed. If they don't utilize that information to the fullest how is that the coaches fault? I will agree that the coaches need to motivate their players to get to that level though.

I agree its on both the players and coaches however you can't expect the players to not make many mistakes if they are not playing at game level ever in preseason. If you played baseball and only had practice in the batting cages and never game speed of the pitches then it would be hard to get their timing down. The same can be said for tackling. While they are professionals they still need to work on their tackling and never doing it except for a few minutes once a week in an exhibition game is not enough practice.

Michael82
08-28-2007, 11:34 AM
I agree its on both the players and coaches however you can't expect the players to not make many mistakes if they are not playing at game level ever in preseason. If you played baseball and only had practice in the batting cages and never game speed of the pitches then it would be hard to get their timing down. The same can be said for tackling. While they are professionals they still need to work on their tackiling and never doing it except for a few minutes once a week in an exhibition game is not enough practice.
Exactly. That's kind of my point. :clap:

don137
08-28-2007, 11:36 AM

While they did good in the late 80's they never made it to the Super Bowl until they were all seasoned veterans and very cohesive.
I agree a lot of time in training camp is spent evaluating players but this team has too many young and new players. The best lines and units are the ones that have worked together for years and are cohesive. I just wonder if they should of had more two a days so the players could get cohesive working together in addition face more game time situations instead of just going through the motion in training camp.

Bulldog
08-28-2007, 11:39 AM

Spot on Mikey. Maybe the tackling wouldn't be so shoddy if the Bills had actually tackled each other during training camp. I'm a firm believer that you play how you practice. Would it have killed the players to actually go full out for a few practices during the time they were at Fisher? And maybe some of the players, espically the younger ones, would have a better feel for the speed of the game if they did. And now I read this crap about Jauron saying they need more time to fine tune the running game. You had your time Dick. While you were too busy being the ultimate players coach and going once a day, the rest of the NFL has been busting their ass to get ready for week one. He's got nobody to blame but himself.

baalworship
08-28-2007, 11:45 AM
I think the evidence that the Bills just aren't as ready as other teams and it is this not the talent is that every pre-season game so far we look the worst on the first drive of the game and start to look more respectable as the first half is ending.

I agree that we have been practicing too soft. Let's hope that Jauron and crew get these guys ready for the real thing. Looking bad is not the worst thing in the world...hopefully the players will now realize what they will be up against.

Michael82
08-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Spot on Mikey. Maybe the tackling wouldn't be so shoddy if the Bills had actually tackled each other during training camp. I'm a firm believer that you play how you practice. Would it have killed the players to actually go full out for a few practices during the time they were at Fisher? And maybe some of the players, espically the younger ones, would have a better feel for the speed of the game if they did. And now I read this crap about Jauron saying they need more time to fine tune the running game. You had your time Dick. While you were too busy being the ultimate players coach and going once a day, the rest of the NFL has been busting their ass to get ready for week one. He's got nobody to blame but himself.
Exactly. Good post. :bf1:

Voltron
08-28-2007, 12:50 PM
I agree its on both the players and coaches however you can't expect the players to not make many mistakes if they are not playing at game level ever in preseason. If you played baseball and only had practice in the batting cages and never game speed of the pitches then it would be hard to get their timing down. The same can be said for tackling. While they are professionals they still need to work on their tackling and never doing it except for a few minutes once a week in an exhibition game is not enough practice.
I agree but I guess at the same point you have to try and keep injuries to a minimum and the more physical you make the practices the higher the chances of injury. It is a very fine balance I guess.

don137
08-28-2007, 01:59 PM
I agree but I guess at the same point you have to try and keep injuries to a minimum and the more physical you make the practices the higher the chances of injury. It is a very fine balance I guess.

I agree you want to keep injuries to a minimum and there is a fine line but you need to at least play full contact some to get in game shape. Heck you could even use some of the scrubs. They could of played the role of tackling dummies.

raphael120
08-28-2007, 02:04 PM
This is why when we play against physical teams, we will almost always lose.

This is why I say, we will lose @ Steelers, Ravens, Pats, anyone who plays hard nose football

mybills
08-29-2007, 07:02 AM
Why is it so hard to understand that when the starters have been in the game, Buffalo has looked pathetic. So you're telling me that when the regular season starts, Losman is suddenly going to gain control of his accuracy?
If you're talking about just this pre-season....it's obviously hard to understand.
I was talking about EVERY pre-season is for evaluating players. And as for JP, it won't be "suddenly" since he hasn't been as bad as people make him out to be. :curtsey:

Bulldog
08-29-2007, 07:28 AM
If you're talking about just this pre-season....it's obviously hard to understand.
I was talking about EVERY pre-season is for evaluating players. And as for JP, it won't be "suddenly" since he hasn't been as bad as people make him out to be. :curtsey:

Losman has not looked good this preseason. It's the same stuff. Bad decision making and poor accuracy. I'm not laying all this on Losman either, but it all starts with him. If JP struggles this year, the offense as a whole will suffer. From the run game right on down the line.

madness
08-29-2007, 08:49 AM
The Colts went 1-3 in preseason last year. During that time their defense showed that they couldn't stop squat and showed no signs of improvement. According to their fans, it was going to be a brutal regular season. Dungy had faith that his defense would play more disciplined during the regular season, keeping enough points off the board for Manning and his offense. During the playoffs no team did that better except the Ravens.

The Saints also went 1-3 in preseason last year. 28 teams put up more points then their offense could muster. Fans couldn't help but think... "another year, same story". Payton knew what the offense was capable of and also knew they would come together during the regular season. Say hello to the #1 offense in the league.

I'm not expecting these type of results for our team but I'm also not judging the upcoming season from what I saw in preseason.

Wally The Barber
08-29-2007, 02:55 PM
The Colts went 1-3 in preseason last year. During that time their defense showed that they couldn't stop squat and showed no signs of improvement. According to their fans, it was going to be a brutal regular season. Dungy had faith that his defense would play more disciplined during the regular season, keeping enough points off the board for Manning and his offense. During the playoffs no team did that better except the Ravens.

The Saints also went 1-3 in preseason last year. 28 teams put up more points then their offense could muster. Fans couldn't help but think... "another year, same story". Payton knew what the offense was capable of and also knew they would come together during the regular season. Say hello to the #1 offense in the league.

I'm not expecting these type of results for our team but I'm also not judging the upcoming season from what I saw in preseason.

All we need now if Payton Manning!