PDA

View Full Version : The Answer's "Fact of Fiction"

The Answer
08-28-2007, 11:42 AM
As you may have figured out by now - The Answer is back in the mix here at the zone! The Answer took a brief hiatus this summer as he was busy travelling the country attending camps around the league and gearing up for the 2007 NFL campaign. The Answer also realized that traffic on this website has dropped considerably since he stopped posting - so with that said The Answer is going to add some excitement to the mix with his vast football knowledge and witty commentary.

The Answer's first intiative: His version of "Fact or Fiction"

1) The Bills defense is 'Playing Possom" in the preseason:

FICTION: Now if we were the chargers, ravens or patriots The Answer would be inclined to agree. But unlike those teams - we don't have the coaching or talent to justify it. Let's just face the reality here - this defense is going to be bad, really bad. We can't stop the run and we don't even have ONE starting DB at this point given how bad Terrance 'Toast' Mcgee has looked.

2) The Bills are not a playoff team in 2007:

FACT: With the struggles and lack of talent on defense, new offensive line, and multitude of young players there is absolutely no way this team is making the playoffs, especially since there are on 2 wildcard spots and the AFC conference is way too deep right now. The Answer does feel we can be competitive, but we also have the toughest schedule in the league for the 2nd year in a row, at least on paper.

3) Jim McNally has got to go:

FACT: At some point you have to realize the root of the problem. Now in years past it was easy to point the finger at the talent he had to work with: Trey "Turnstile" Teague, Benny 'The Penalty' Anderson, "Big Bust" Mike Williams, etc but when you spend $70 million on offensive line help and still se the same thing over and over again so far it's time to look beyond the personell. Now The Answer realizes a lot of homers will say "it's just preseason and they need time to gel', but lets face the facts here - All The Answer sees is a bunch of undisplined, penalty prone bums getting manhandled by lesser Dlineman, opening no running lanes, and getting risking their QB to a serious injury on every passing down. Translation - new year, same old story.

4) JP Losman is the future of this franchise:

FICTION: Even if we wouldn't have drafted the young gun Trent Edwards in the 3rd round, The Answer has felt all along that JP is still very much under the microscope by Levy/Jauron. A lot of people think he made major strides last season, but when you really break down the numbers - they weren't exactly confidence inspiring. Let's not kid ourselves here - there's a reason we drafted Edwards, there's a reason why rumors persisted last offseason about Levy wanting to trade Losman, and there's a reason why the Losman era will come to a screetching halt by midseason if he isn't having a probowl season or we are already out of playoff contention.

~The Answer

raphael120
08-28-2007, 11:45 AM
The Answers back and he's actually making sense.

*GASP*

LtBillsFan66
08-28-2007, 11:45 AM
The Answer is back!!! I would say "and better than ever," but that's impossible!!!

:bf1:

TacklingDummy
08-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Good Article. :clap:

Can't really disagree with anything.

casdhf
08-28-2007, 11:51 AM
The level of the board remains the same, with or without the answer.

Wraith
08-28-2007, 11:53 AM
4) JP Losman is the future of this franchise:

FICTION: Even if we wouldn't have drafted the young gun Trent Edwards in the 3rd round, The Answer has felt all along that JP is still very much under the microscope by Levy/Jauron. A lot of people think he made major strides last season, but when you really break down the numbers - they weren't exactly confidence inspiring. Let's not kid ourselves here - there's a reason we drafted Edwards, there's a reason why rumors persisted last offseason about Levy wanting to trade Losman, and there's a reason why the Losman era will come to a screetching halt by midseason if he isn't having a probowl season or we are already out of playoff contention.

I'm curious, which numbers would that be? "Really" break them down for us, please? Since you know how to analyze passing statistics so much better than the rest of us, that is...

The Answer
08-28-2007, 11:56 AM
I have my own version of Fact or Fiction...

The Answer is an annoying, bumbling troll who has little football knowledge.

FACT. The board was much better off when he was gone, he adds nothing and creates stupid pointless threads. On top of his mancrush for Holcomb either taking the Eagles and now the Vikes to the playoffs.

The Vikings are a playoff team with the addition of Kelly Holcomb:

FACT: The Answer had a chance to scout the Vikes a few weeks again and although Tavaris Jackson looks vastly improved from last year, he still has a way to go and the Vikes would be better off turning over the keys to the wily veteran in 2007. The game is won in the trenches and the Vikes are as good as it gets running the ball and stopping the run. The Holcomb is a savvy playmaker and his precision passing would work wonders, especially dumping the ball off to a stud like Adrian Peterson. This team could be very dangerous in 2007 and could easily win the NFC North and make a deep run in the playoffs. The Holcomb would also compensate for Minny's less that stellar WR corps.

~The Answer

LtBillsFan66
08-28-2007, 11:57 AM
"The Holcomb"

:laughing:

Mr. Pink
08-28-2007, 11:59 AM
You do realize that Jackson is the starter, right?

wait..that's obviously also FICTION. You haven't figured that one out yet.

The Answer
08-28-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm curious, which numbers would that be? "Really" break them down for us, please? Since you know how to analyze passing statistics so much better than the rest of us, that is...

This is the only stat you really need to be concerned about my son:

JP Losman Career Win/Loss: 8-16

- ONE win against a team with a .500 record or better
- Has never beat the patriots
- TWO wins against the lowly Texans
- Has a high turnover ratio against teams .500 or better

And for the people that say improved dramatically over the 2nd half last year: He was 4-4 compared to 3-5 the first 8 games - sorry but The Answer fails to see what is so awe inspiring about that.

~The Answer

TigerJ
08-28-2007, 12:02 PM
I don't disagree with the Answer. The Bills didn't role out their complete playbook and they didn't game plan, but they also didn't play to lose, or at least that wasn't the intent going into the game. Most other teams don't use their entire playbook and don't game plan either, but some of them have played a whole lot better.

If the Bills don't gel real soon in a lot of areas, they will not be going to the playoffs. It's not impossible though.

I'd say Jim McNally has this season to show he belongs, but the line needs to get better on run blocking real fast.

I don't think the Bills are locked into Losman as the Bills QB for the foreseeable future. Neither are they locked into replacing him with Trent Edwards at some point. Like the rest of us, the Bills brain trust is going to watch and see what happens, and react accordingly.

mikemac2001
08-28-2007, 12:22 PM

And for the people that say improved dramatically over the 2nd half last year: He was 4-4 compared to 3-5 the first 8 games - sorry but The Answer fails to see what is so awe inspiring about that.

~The Answer

im pretty sure u stole that from TD

and also in the first 20 games of mannings career he was 5-15 i mean cant always judge a player by his record....we have been switching coachs and schemes and JP has been in middle of it

last year he made some good last min drives and really kinda took lead of the team and thats what i wanted to see....this year i want to see w's if he doesnt get them then JP era is most likely over

Wraith
08-28-2007, 12:53 PM

~The Answer

Interesting cop out. "Really digging into the numbers" to you means totally ignoring the numbers.

Since you initially disputed Losman's numbers from last season, I don't see how Losman's career record is relevant.

What the hell is a turnover ratio?

TacklingDummy
08-28-2007, 12:58 PM

After Bye week.

Green Bay (8-8): 8 of 15, 102 yards, 1 TD, 0 int.

The Bills won this game because of their defense created 4 turnovers, 1 Int ran back for a TD by Fletcher. Another Bills TD was a 3 play drive for 27 yards setup by Simpsons 76 int return. when the Pack were getting ready to score.
JP led the Bills offense to an amazing 11 first downs.

Colts(12-4): 8 of 12, 83 yards, 0 TDs, 0 Ints.

This is a game the Bills should have won.
JP led the Bills to an amazing 10 first downs this game.
The Bills only TD coming on McGee fumble return for a TD.
Lindell missed kick hurt. But not as much as the other 26 minutes the Bills had the ball on offense and did basically nothing.

Texans(6-10): 26 of 38, 340 yards, 3 TDs, 1 int.

On the surface its JPs best game of the year , against one of the worst teams in the NFL.
This game was more about Lee Evans turning 2 catches into 82 yard touchdowns.
JPs 1 INt. was ran back for a touchdown. Giving the Texans a 21-17 lead.

Jags(8-8) 21-28, 169 yards, 0 TDs, 1 Int.

JP led the Bills to an amazing 13 first downs this game.
Not a great game, not a terrible game. JP's 1 INT actually helped the Bills setup their first TD. After the INT,Webb fumbled the ball and Royal recovered it.

Chargers(14-2) 21-37, 184 yards, 2 TDs 2 Ints.

If it wasn't for the Bills defense setting up 14 easy points this game and the chargers allowing a garbage time TD. The Bills would have been crushed.
1 of the Bills scoring drives was setup by the Bills D forcing Rivers to fumble at the 19 yard line. The other scoring drive was 4 play drive for 13 yards. The only time the Bills moved the ball down the field was when the Chargers were playing "prevent" at the end of the game. And that only happened because JP was again picked off but the CB fumbled it away.

Jets (10-6) 10-15, 157 yards, 2 TD, 0 Int

Lee proves once again he is one of the best WR in the NFL with an 77 yard TD rec.

9-14 , 80 yards, 1TD.

The Bills other TD was setup by the defense recovering a fumble at the 18.

The Bills offense has the ball 13 times this game. 11 of those times for 6 plays of less, 10 of them 4 plays or less.

Fins (6-10) 13-19, 200 yards, 3 TDs, 0 Ints.

Good game by JP. The Bills offense struggled only managing 11 first downs. The Bills had the ball 13 times this game. 11 of those possessions were for 6 plays or less.

Titans (8-8) 19-33, 266 yards, 1TD 2 Ints

JP's first INT leads to Tenn. getting 3 point. His last Int. ends the game. Bills lose by 1. The Bills could have won this game but the defense couldn't stop Young/Henry.

Ravens (13-3) 20-35, 237 yards, 1 TD 2 Ints

JP single-handedly cost the Bills this game. His 31 yard Int return for a TD was the back breaker. JPs one scoring pass coming on a 44 yard rec by Evans after the defender fell down.
JP led the Bills to an amazing 10 first downs this game.

justasportsfan
08-28-2007, 01:05 PM
TDummy, could you break down the running game in those games as well when you talk about the O.

TacklingDummy
08-28-2007, 01:09 PM
TDummy, could you break down the running game in those games as well when you talk about the O.

Sorry, no excuses allowed.

The reason we had no runing game was because the book on the Bills was to stop the run and make JP beat them. Which led to big plays in the passing game.

Philagape
08-28-2007, 01:10 PM
In the field of football analysis, there are few things more stupid than holding a QB's first year starting against him. I mean, we're talking incredibly dumb. Like a chimpanzee trying to analyze chess. Someone who does that needs to find a new sport to follow. Perhaps lawn darts.

Wraith
08-28-2007, 01:20 PM

The reason we had no runing game was because the book on the Bills was to stop the run and make JP beat them. Which led to big plays in the passing game.

You mean no excuses for the passing game, I see. Excuses for the running game are of course allowed.

Interesting attempts at analysis. Rife with contradictions.

On one hand, you say the running game sucked because defenses ignored the passing game and defensed the run. On the other hand, you claim that the only good aspect of Losman's game is his ability to throw over the top of defenses. There's a conflict there, to be sure.

You hone in on number of drives with fewer than 6 plays and number of first downs. Tell me, just how many first downs per game is average for an NFL team? We have nothing besides your sarcastic word that 11 first downs per game is poor. Also, where did your criteria of 6 plays come from? Did you pick it arbitrarily or did you pick it because it made your argument seem better? Did you include drives that ended with scores in that number?

justasportsfan
08-28-2007, 01:22 PM

In other words, twist the facts to fit your opinion.

Heaven knows that Peyton could've easily won the sb with his arm alone and no running game :rolleyes:

TacklingDummy
08-28-2007, 01:24 PM
Green Bay Total yards 184

Passing: 64
Rushing: 120

Colts 162

Passing: 51
Rushing 111

Houston

passing: 333
Rushing: 70

Jags 241

Passing: 169
Ruhsing: 72

Chargers 230

Passing:167
Rushing: 63

Jets 318

Passing: 144
Rushing: 174

Fins 286

Passing: 186
Rushing 100

Titans 368

Passing: 251
Rushing: 117

Ravens 253

Passing 214
Rushing 39

TacklingDummy
08-28-2007, 01:27 PM
We have nothing besides your sarcastic word that 11 first downs per game is poor.

The Bills were ranked last in number of first downs last year. That is the poorest of the poor.

TacklingDummy
08-28-2007, 01:28 PM
On one hand, you say the running game sucked because defenses ignored the passing game and defensed the run. On the other hand, you claim that the only good aspect of Losman's game is his ability to throw over the top of defenses. There's a conflict there, to be sure.

No conflict there. Playing the run opens up big plays in passing.

justasportsfan
08-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Green Bay Total yards 184

Passing: 64
Rushing: 120

Colts 162

Passing: 51
Rushing 111

Houston

passing: 333
Rushing: 70

Jags 241

Passing: 169
Ruhsing: 72

Chargers 230

Passing:167
Rushing: 63

Jets 318

Passing: 144
Rushing: 174

Fins 286

Passing: 186
Rushing 100

Titans 368

Passing: 251
Rushing: 117

Ravens 253

Passing 214
Rushing 39

not very a impressive run game to compliment the pass ,huh?

Now do a breakdown of Fairchilds playbook.

TacklingDummy
08-28-2007, 01:38 PM
You hone in on number of drives with fewer than 6 plays and number of first downs. Tell me, just how many first downs per game is average for an NFL team?

Colts led the league with 376
The Bills were 32nd with 234.
16th Washington with 295

The 12 worst teams last year in number of first downs were. 32. Buffalo, 31. TB, 49ers, Raiders, browns, Titans, vikings, panthers, fins, texans, ravens, falcons.

Not surprising that 9 of them were picking within the top 12 of last years draft.

Buffalo had 14.6 FD per game
Colts 23.5
Washington 18.4

TacklingDummy
08-28-2007, 01:41 PM
not very a impressive run game to compliment the pass ,huh?

Not very impressive passing game either.

justasportsfan
08-28-2007, 01:46 PM
Not very impressive passing game either.I never disagreed with that but don't make it look like it's just the passing game that struggled. Nobody is denying Jp's had his fair share of problems.

duhbilz
08-28-2007, 02:18 PM
I've noticed the mood on this site seems to be in flux from week to week. After the first pre-season game there were threads proclaimg Offensive greatness and Defensive dominance. The last two weeks it's been doom and gloom, why do I get the feeling it will shift again if we win Thursday?? Happy medium people!!!

Wally The Barber
08-28-2007, 02:28 PM
I don't think J.p has got to have a Pro Bowl season to keep his job but he will need to play better then last season.
That is all the fans and coaching staff are looking for....improvement!

patmoran2006
08-28-2007, 05:11 PM
The answer rules.

Finally, some spirited debate.

shelby
08-28-2007, 07:23 PM
Any personal attacks will be deleted. If you can't address the topic being discussed without insulting other posters, don't bother to reply. Thank you.

jamesiscool
08-28-2007, 07:23 PM
i'm really not kidding. ~shelby

Mr. Pink
08-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Hney Holcomb's are what's for breakfast in Minnesota.

This has a lot to do with the thread too Shelby. Why isn't it deleted?

I can't believe me post got deleted!

It was the best one in the thread!

Thankfully it got quoted, so it will live forever!

The shock, the horror....*cues up TV announcer voice* THE AGONY OF DEFEAT!

Sorry, the redundancy and stupidity of certain posters gets the better of me at times. I'll work on it in the future. I made a mistake and have now accepted Jesus into my heart. My apologies.

SquishDaFish
08-28-2007, 08:15 PM
:roflmao:

patmoran2006
08-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Answer is fun and cut him some slack.. He just got back from his whirlwind tour of NFL training camps.

Philagape
08-28-2007, 09:58 PM
:::