PDA

View Full Version : Edwards to play 3 quarters

Wally The Barber
08-29-2007, 07:38 AM
I think it would be wise to read between the lines on Trent Edwards playing 3 quarters.
Article says Losman will get a series or two at most.
Craig Nall will get a series or two and Edwards will play the remainder of the game. I think that means 3 quarters!

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/150818.html

Is Craig Nall still in Buffalo's plans?

What if Trent Edwards lights it up with 2 or 3 TD's ?

I say " UT-OH!

Your thoughts?

TacklingDummy
08-29-2007, 07:43 AM
They are preparing for the Trent Edwards ERA to begin shortly.

Mad Bomber
08-29-2007, 07:47 AM
It sure seems that way. At the very least it sets him up as #2 instead of #3.

Meathead
08-29-2007, 07:47 AM
yall are prepared to be full of ***t

stop the madness

tampabay25690
08-29-2007, 07:50 AM
I think this a HUGE mistake. Jp and the 1st team need the work, WHY not make them play longer????? 3 HARD games right out of the box I cant wait to see this website going into week 4!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wally The Barber
08-29-2007, 07:50 AM
you are prepared to be full of ***t

stop the madness

What maddness are you talking about?

Wally The Barber
08-29-2007, 07:51 AM
I think this a HUGE mistake. Jp and the 1st team need the work, WHY not make them play longer????? 3 HARD games right out of the box I cant wait to see this website going into week 4!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am with you!

TacklingDummy
08-29-2007, 07:52 AM
I think this a HUGE mistake. Jp and the 1st team need the work, WHY not make them play longer?????

I agree.

JP and the starters should get atleast the first half.

If I recall correctly, didn't last year JP play into the 3rd QTR in some of the preseason games?
He played the whole first half against the Bengals.

Wally The Barber
08-29-2007, 07:55 AM
I agree.

JP and the starters should get atleast the first half.

If I recall correctly, didn't last year JP play into the 3rd QTR in some of the preseason games?
I think you are right.

I don't know about you guys but 3 quarters is more then a casual look!

TacklingDummy
08-29-2007, 07:57 AM
I think you are right.

I don't know about you guys but 3 quarters is more then a casual look!

Week 3 he played first half against Bengals.
Week 4 he played into the 3rd Qtr. against the Browns.

Wally The Barber
08-29-2007, 08:01 AM
Week 3 he played first half against Bengals.
Week 4 he played into the 3rd Qtr. against the Browns.

I am confused about the short playing time that Nall will receive as well as Losman

If he is #2 he certainly need more time then that to get ready for the season!

Night Train
08-29-2007, 08:13 AM
OMG ! That means Edwards will be named the STARTER by week 3 ! Those are the signals I'm receiving in my foil hat !

Wally The Barber
08-29-2007, 08:15 AM
OMG ! That means Edwards will be named the STARTER by week 3 ! Those are the signals I'm receiving in my foil hat !

You said it, I didn't!

jpdex12
08-29-2007, 08:21 AM
I am confused about the short playing time that Nall will receive as well as Losman

If he is #2 he certainly need more time then that to get ready for the season!

We didn't waste a third round pick for nothing. Marv wants this boy to show what he's got. The Bill's brass were drooling about this pick in the third and they are giving him every chance to prove himself early.
Nall was picked up to be nothing more than a back up, the media just hyped it up when he and JP and Holcomb were fighting for the starting spot.

OBD is playing their hand right to let this kid out of the gates at his own pace and if it's full speed ahead then so be it. Bill Walsh didn't endorse this kid for nothing! I like JP's progress so far. He could be doing more but continual progress is good in this type of offense. What we are beginning to see though is that OBD is preparing Edwards so they have another option at QB if we sign Evans to an extension and still haven't signed Losman. Maybe Losman might not completely blossom and we are riding the fence with him and his extension because we aren't sure he is the one. So OBD lets Edwards show what he's capable of and if it pans out then Losman gets traded in the future. Or we sign Losman and end up with two good QB's?

Wally The Barber
08-29-2007, 08:24 AM
We didn't waste a third round pick for nothing. Marv wants this boy to show what he's got. The Bill's brass were drooling about this pick in the third and they are giving him every chance to prove himself early.
Nall was picked up to be nothing more than a back up, the media just hyped it up when he and JP and Holcomb were fighting for the starting spot.

OBD is playing their hand right to let this kid out of the gates at his own pace and if it's full speed ahead then so be it. Bill Walsh didn't endorse this kid for nothing! I like JP's progress so far. He could be doing more but continual progress is good in this type of offense. What we are beginning to see though is that OBD is preparing Edwards so they have another option at QB if we sign Evans to an extension and still haven't signed Losman. Maybe Losman might not completely blossom and we are riding the fence with him and his extension because we aren't sure he is the one. So OBD lets Edwards show what he's capable of and if it pans out then Losman gets traded in the future. Or we sign Losman and end up with two good QB's?

I think you are right!

OpIv37
08-29-2007, 08:24 AM
if this is the end of Craig Nall, when was the beginning? All he's ever done is keep the bench warm for Losman and Favre when the offense is on the field.

Wally The Barber
08-29-2007, 08:27 AM
if this is the end of Craig Nall, when was the beginning? All he's ever done is keep the bench warm for Losman and Favre when the offense is on the field.

I have never seen a #2 get so little playing time in 2 years!

Meathead
08-29-2007, 08:28 AM
i agree with all of that dex

he still wont be the next guy off the bench if losman goes down

NorthCarBills
08-29-2007, 08:28 AM
I'm the last person to want or advocate a QB controversy. Especially now heading into a new season. This is not the intent of this post.

However, my fear is related to some of the suggestions by other posters. If Edwards is named #2 and the team is struggling by week #4, the Bills locker room may get very nasty and divided, not to mention the fan base and overall attendance. Ugh.

At the moment, however, I'm trying to remain optimistic and will be as loud as humanly possible (at the opener) when the Broncos have the ball. Go Bills!

Wally The Barber
08-29-2007, 08:31 AM
I'm the last person to want or advocate a QB controversy. Especially now heading into a new season. This is not the intent of this post.

However, my fear is related to some of the suggestions by other posters. If Edwards is named #2 and the team is struggling by week #4, the Bills locker room may get very nasty and divided, not to mention the fan base and overall attendance. Ugh.

At the moment, however, I'm trying to remain optimistic and will be as loud as humanly possible (at the opener) when the Broncos have the ball. Go Bills!

The intent of this post is to tell you your third stringer is playing 3 quarters.

PERIOD! You can tranlate that anyway you want!

NorthCarBills
08-29-2007, 08:34 AM
The intent of this post is to tell you your third stringer is playing 3 quarters.

PERIOD! You can tranlate that anyway you want!

I was just expressing some personal thoughts based on Nall's status seemingly being in limbo. No need to shout.

TacklingDummy
08-29-2007, 08:34 AM

They'd never put Edwards in at week 4.

The last 4 games would be where I think Edwards would play. If the season is a disaster.

Home: Fins
Away: Browns
Home: Giants
Away: Eagles.

On paper that's the easiest part of the Bills schedule.

NorthCarBills
08-29-2007, 08:40 AM

The last 4 games would be where I think Edwards would play. If the season is a disaster.

Agree...didnt mean to sound as if Edwards would/should go in. I was simply stating the possibility for a severely divided locker room and fanbase -- which I would absolutely hate to see.

Wally The Barber
08-29-2007, 08:40 AM
[quote=TacklingDummy]They'd never put Edwards in at week 4.

On paper that's the easiest part of the Bills schedule.[/quote

I hope we never see him...but?

jpdex12
08-29-2007, 08:54 AM
Losman was never Marv's pick even though they have said that they are high on him he better play his ass off with all of the looks that Edwards will be getting. Your job is never safe in the NFL unless you play like Peyton Manning, Brett Farve, Carson Palmer or Tom Brady.

Competition is always good. Keeps you focused and pushing yourself.

Wally The Barber
08-29-2007, 08:57 AM
Losman was never Marv's pick even though they have said that they are high on him he better play his ass off with all of the looks that Edwards will be getting. Your job is never safe in the NFL unless you play like Peyton Manning, Brett Farve, Carson Palmer or Tom Brady.

Competition is always good. Keeps you focused and pushing yourself.

I think the fans will always be in search of a top 5 quarterback and nothing less will do!

jpdex12
08-29-2007, 10:37 AM
I think the fans will always be in search of a top 5 quarterback and nothing less will do!

That is true! It would be nice to have another Jim Kelly back at the wheel but I would take a mistake free Trent Dilfer type QB if it meant that we would make it back to the promise land.

A GM would definitely sleep better at night with a top 5 QB calling the cadence for them though.

Wally The Barber
08-29-2007, 10:42 AM
That is true! It would be nice to have another Jim Kelly back at the wheel but I would take a mistake free Trent Dilfer type QB if it meant that we would make it back to the promise land.

A GM would definitely sleep better at night with a top 5 QB calling the cadence for them though.

Its early yet, We have 2 pretty good posibilities

jpdex12
08-29-2007, 10:54 AM
Its early yet, We have 2 pretty good posibilities

By no means would I write off Losman. He improved last year and if he continues to do so this year which I believe that he will we will all be happy. If Edwards keeps looking good then we will have a back up option if need be. He is completely unproven up until now though due to the obvious reasons a rookie faces.

It's preseason still and some fans need to take some muscle relaxers and let things play out.

I am very curious to find out about Walsh's notion of Edwards though...

deepslant
08-29-2007, 11:08 AM
I am very curious to find out about Walsh's notion of Edwards though...

What's that all about?

BuffNews is saying Edwards will be #2 officially if he has another good performance. duh What's good - 3 TD's?

http://sp1.mm-a3.yimg.com/image/2580283329

The Answer
08-29-2007, 12:19 PM
I think it would be wise to read between the lines on Trent Edwards playing 3 quarters.
Craig Nall will get a series or two and Edwards will play the remainder of the game. I think that means 3 quarters!

I say " UT-OH!

Your thoughts?

Honestly at this point don't be surprised if we only carry two QB's into the start of the season - we need the extra roster spot to carry another DT, CB, DE, etc.

Keeping Nall Ball at this point provides no value add whatsoever.

As for the young gun - anybody still want to argue that he won't be seeing the field this season at some point as the starting QB?

~The Answer

The Answer
08-29-2007, 12:26 PM

Don't forget that last year Dallas pulled the plug on Bledsoe after week 5, Denver yanked Plummer after week 10 - and these were both playoff calibur teams with winning records at the time the QB change was made.

The Answer believes we'll see Edwards at the midway point if we get off to a 1-6, 2-7 type of start because at that point the season is over no matter which way you slice it - and this unfortunately is a very plausible scenario given the brutal first two months we face.

~The Answer

Michael82
08-29-2007, 01:19 PM
:ill:

TacklingDummy
08-29-2007, 01:25 PM
The Answer believes we'll see Edwards at the midway point if we get off to a 1-6, 2-7 type of start because at that point the season is over no matter which way you slice it - and this unfortunately is a very plausible scenario given the brutal first two months we face.

~The Answer

I just don't see Marv throwing Edwards to the wolves that early if this disaster does happen.

Wally The Barber
08-29-2007, 02:25 PM
Honestly at this point don't be surprised if we only carry two QB's into the start of the season - we need the extra roster spot to carry another DT, CB, DE, etc.

Keeping Nall Ball at this point provides no value add whatsoever.

As for the young gun - anybody still want to argue that he won't be seeing the field this season at some point as the starting QB?

~The Answer

I am not sure keeping Nall around is a good idea if he is not in Buffalo's plans

jpdex12
08-29-2007, 02:31 PM
What's that all about?

BuffNews is saying Edwards will be #2 officially if he has another good performance. duh What's good - 3 TD's?

Can he play like that with starters in his first two seasons? It will be interesting to see in 5 years if Walsh is right about Edwards. That's what I mean.

Wally The Barber
08-29-2007, 02:49 PM
I can not believe Losman is not playing atleast a full quarter?:(

TigerJ
08-29-2007, 04:12 PM
If you mean will he be cut, the answer is, NO! With Eakin gone this is obviously not the end for Nall. The Bills will not try to put Edwards on the PS because some would snap him up the second it was announced. They can't put Nall on the PS and they are not going to carry only 2 QBs on the roster with none on the PS. I would not read too much into Edwards' playing time. Losman will get a series. Nall will get the rest of that quarter. The Bills know what Nall can do, and giving him a half isn't going to change a thing. Edwards gets the extra playing time because as a rookie he can most benefit from it. If he was a 7th round pick that probably wouldn't happen unless he'd had an amazing camp. However, the Bills have high hopes for Edwards and they want to develop him as much as possible during the preseason. He may be named the #2 QB, but I don't think it's a lock just because he's getting so much playing time. It is a question of whether the Bills feel more comfortable with Nall's experience or Edwards' upside in the backup role as the season opens.

Wally The Barber
08-29-2007, 04:23 PM
If you mean will he be cut, the answer is, NO! With Eakin gone this is obviously not the end for Nall. The Bills will not try to put Edwars on the PS because some would snap him up the second it was announced. They can't put Nall on the PS and they are not going to carry only 2 QBs on the roster with none on the PS. I would not read too much into Edwards' playing time. Losman will get a series. Nall will get the rest of that quarter. The Bills know what Nall can do, and giving him a half isn't going to change a thing. Edwards gets the extra playing time because as a rookie he can most benefit from it. If he was a 7th round pick that probably wouldn't happen unless he'd had an amazing camp. However, the Bills have high hopes for Edwards and they want to develop him as much as possible during the preseason. He may be named the #2 QB, but I don't think it's a lock just because he's getting so much playing time. It is a question of whether the Bills feel more comfortable with Nall's experience or Edwards' upside in the backup role as the season opens.

I believe Craig Nall will be gone as his pay does not relect the 3rd string!

Possible trade is likely to me!

Meathead
08-29-2007, 04:31 PM
no freakin way

Wally The Barber
08-29-2007, 04:34 PM
no freakin way

way!

Wys Guy
08-29-2007, 04:35 PM

I say " UT-OH!

Your thoughts?

Thoughts? Sure.

How many times did Edwards "light it up" last year in college as a senior?

"No weapons?," as cliched as that is? Does he have more here?

I really don't think that we have to worry about Edwards "lighting it up," even against Detroit's D which is arguably the worst in the league.

Wally The Barber
08-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Thoughts? Sure.

How many times did Edwards "light it up" last year in college as a senior?

"No weapons?," as cliched as that is? Does he have more here?

I really don't think that we have to worry about Edwards "lighting it up," even against Detroit's D which is arguably the worst in the league.

Trent Edwards spent the entire year on his back on a terrible team.

I think one of the reasons he is playing so well is he sees the rush because he is used to being pressured!
I remember a game last year when the annoncers said he will never make it to the Pros alive!

justasportsfan
08-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Cat fight!!!!!!!

Wally vs Wys

:movie:

Wally The Barber
08-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Cat fight!!!!!!!

Wally vs Wys

:movie:

I hate Cats :nono:

Wally The Barber
08-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Agree...didnt mean to sound as if Edwards would/should go in. I was simply stating the possibility for a severely divided locker room and fanbase -- which I would absolutely hate to see.

I think Losman will be ready on the opener but I expected a quarter!

The locker room will take care on its self!

patmoran2006
08-29-2007, 05:35 PM
the way we our defense looks, we may only get 2-3 series on offense before halftime.

Wally The Barber
08-29-2007, 05:41 PM
the way we our defense looks, we may only get 2-3 series on offense before halftime.

That's funny, I was thinking the same thing!

TigerJ
08-29-2007, 07:51 PM
I don't think Buffalo will look for a trade for Nall. For a trade to happen, Buffalo will have to see a QB they like who has been cut by another team, and is at least vaguely familiar with the kind of offense Buffalo runs. I don't think they would take the risk of going into the season with only two QBs who know the offense. There is an outside chance Buffalo would trade Nall then bring back Eakin, but I really don't expect that to happen. I think the odds are Nall is with the team on opening day

HHURRICANE
08-29-2007, 08:10 PM

I hate to agree with TD here but...he's right. I listened to Sirius today and they were pretty confident that Edwards was going to be #2 and that if JP struggled that we would see Edwards. They were saying that Levy and Jauron have no attachment to JP as he wasn't "their guy."

TigerJ
08-29-2007, 08:23 PM
If that happens, it happens. I'm not married to JP. I thought he did a good job last year and showed he can be a solid QB in the NFL. My main concern with Edwards is his lack of experience. I was one who advocated starting Losman from the get go, but the circumstances were very different. In my opinion at the time Buffalo really didn't have an NFL caliber QB on the roster. Kelly Holcomb sure didn't fit the bill. I figured the Bills might as well start Losman and find out what they had. I hoped he had the upside to develop into an NFL caliber QB.

The Bills don't have the same pressure to find out what they have in Edwards. They know pretty much what they have in Losman. That is a guy with a big and accurate arm a good attitude who apparently can learn an NFL offense and run it effectively. Knowing that, I think it is foolish to rush Edwards along and give him the pressure of being the #2 QB unless they are really sure he's ready for it. If he's ready, then fine give it to him. And if Losman regresses and has a poor year, while Edwards looks like he could start, fine, start him. Just don't push him into something he's not ready for, unless you really need him.

eyedog
08-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Nobody's trading for Nall, so you can throw that out the window.

Wally The Barber
08-30-2007, 05:00 AM
Nobody's trading for Nall, so you can throw that out the window.
I don't think the Bills will waive him and I expect a deal after another QB goes down
I think Craig Nall may ask to be traded!

I holcomb is worth a #6 Nall has got to be worth that or more!

Wraith
08-30-2007, 06:42 AM
Some of you have an interesting take on things.

Doesn't the fact that Losman will only play a series or two mean the coaching staff views him as the established starter this time around? In the last preseason game of the year, don't the coaches typically protect the well-established (and valuable players) while playing the guys who are "wild cards" a little more, unless there is a VERY good reason. Look at the Lions, almost their entire starting line-up will be on the bench for the ENTIRE game.

The original premise of this thread, referring to Nall's future status, is interesting and worthy of discussion. But anyone trying to read into a Losman/Edwards controversy is simply adding their own biased spin to the situation. Just remember, the Bills used to play Travis Brown for entire halves in the preseason (Game 4 in 2004 versus the Colts, for example, where he was hurt).

Wally The Barber
08-30-2007, 06:55 AM
Some of you have an interesting take on things.

Doesn't the fact that Losman will only play a series or two mean the coaching staff views him as the established starter this time around? In the last preseason game of the year, don't the coaches typically protect the well-established (and valuable players) while playing the guys who are "wild cards" a little more, unless there is a VERY good reason. Look at the Lions, almost their entire starting line-up will be on the bench for the ENTIRE game.

The original premise of this thread, referring to Nall's future status, is interesting and worthy of discussion. But anyone trying to read into a Losman/Edwards controversy is simply adding their own biased spin to the situation. Just remember, the Bills used to play Travis Brown for entire halves in the preseason (Game 4 in 2004 versus the Colts, for example, where he was hurt).

I have to agree with you. I started the post as just a note that Trent Edwards is playing 3 quarters and does this mean Nall may be on his way out of town. Then the Losman fans turned the post into a competition for the starting job!
Funny!

Wraith
08-30-2007, 07:05 AM
Well, if you insist on placing blame for who derailed your topic, it wasn't a Losman fan. You only need to look to the second post of this thread by your fellow "Edwards Enthusiast" TacklingDummy...

ibatiger
08-30-2007, 07:30 AM

Nall was brought in to compete for and possibly be the starter. That is a fact. It doesn't matter what happened with the injury or whatever after that, but don't start revising history. As far as Bill Walsh's endorsement goes it means very little. He said one time that Josh Booty was the best QB he had ever seen. His opinion means nothing more than anybody elses when it involved unproven talent. Edwards could be a good QB or he could be a complete bust. He has done nothing to prove that it could go either way at this point.

ibatiger
08-30-2007, 07:34 AM
[quote=Wally]I think it would be wise to read between the lines on Trent Edwards playing 3 quarters.

I say " UT-OH!

Who knows how long he will play. If Losman plays a couple series and Nall plays a couple series that will probably take care of the first half or close to it. Nobody has said anybody will play any particular number of quarters. This is really no different from last week. And if Losman and team put together one or two good drives and Nall has two drives of typical length (assuming no blindsides from the safety), then the first half will be gone. Maybe Edwards will get a two minute drill out of it.

ibatiger
08-30-2007, 07:40 AM
What's that all about?

I'm a stockbroker and I'd like to have their chrystal ball. What if Nall has two series and they both result in lengthly TD drives showing his complete mastery of the offense? Last week his only incompletions were out and out drops right on both hands of the receivers. That statement is nothing more than silly speculation. On the otherhand if the decision has ALREADY been made that Edwards will be no. 2, then it doesn't matter too much what anybody does tonight. I think they're just guessing that is the case.

eyedog
08-30-2007, 07:49 AM
I don't think the Bills will waive him and I expect a deal after another QB goes down
I think Craig Nall may ask to be traded!

I holcomb is worth a #6 Nall has got to be worth that or more!

You're right they will not waive him, he will be the #3.
As little as I think of Holcomb's game, he does have some history as a starter in the league. Can't say that for Nall.

TigerJ
08-30-2007, 10:02 AM
I could see Nall asking to be traded. Whether or not the situation comes up where the Bills would accomodate him I don't know. Even as a third QB he would have some value for the team as insurance against injury.

Wally The Barber
08-30-2007, 10:09 AM
I could see Nall asking to be traded. Whether or not the situation comes up where the Bills would accomodate him I don't know. Even as a third QB he would have some value for the team as insurance against injury.
I am 100% for keeping Nall on the team but he has a pretty good contract and I am not sure he will be a good soldier at #3!

eyedog
08-30-2007, 10:20 AM
Oh he will be a good soldier, that is because he does have a good contract, especially for a #3.
If he is dumb enough to rock the boat too much the bills could just cut him and in that case he is making nothing. and there is no way another team will pay him what he is currently getting paid.
Those are the breaks for Nall.

Wally The Barber
08-30-2007, 10:32 AM
Oh he will be a good soldier, that is because he does have a good contract, especially for a #3.
If he is dumb enough to rock the boat too much the bills could just cut him and in that case he is making nothing. and there is no way another team will pay him what he is currently getting paid.
Those are the breaks for Nall.

I saw a interview he gave last week about his playing time and he said " No comment" twice!

The Answer
08-30-2007, 11:02 AM
The Answer looks for Edwards to have have a great showing tonight in his regular season dress rehearsal.

The Answer has also heard from his sources in bills camp that the coaching staff is going to be more aggressive with their play calling so Edwards can have some opportunities throwing the ball downfield.

~The Answer

Wally The Barber
08-30-2007, 11:04 AM
The Answer looks for Edwards to have have a great showing tonight in his regular season dress rehearsal.

The Answer has also heard from his sources in bills camp that the coaching staff is going to be more aggressive with their play calling so Edwards can have some opportunities throwing the ball downfield.

~The Answer

I like the Answer!