PDA

View Full Version : "Maybe The Ravens Got A Raw Deal"

realdealryan
08-30-2007, 06:40 AM
Sorry if it's a repost...but I like it when people outside of BZ recognize that Willis isn't the player we all thought he was...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/August29FantasyTenPack.htm

6. Maybe The Ravens Got A Raw Deal.

When the Ravens traded for Willis McGahee, the common assumption was that he would be a nice upgrade over the slow, rapidly aging Jamal Lewis. Instead, McGahee has had 14 carries for 35 yards, a robust 2.5 yards a carry. He has looked, in short, like Lewis did last year.

Yes, it is only preseason, but it is worrisome -- especially when you look at McGahee's previous numbers, including a career average of just 3.9 yards a carry. The problem can't be the offensive line, not when we've heard so much about the great, young talent the Ravens (http://www.profootballtalk.com/August29FantasyTenPack.htm#) have put together.

And, indeed, backups Mike Anderson and Musa Smith have been running like McGahee was supposed to. Sure, maybe he will turn out to be just fine, but if you're spending a first-round pick on the guy, you'd like to have a little more to go on.

User Manuel
08-30-2007, 07:25 AM
Hmmmmm... and the whispers of malcontent start in Baltimore. It should be interesting to see how Willis deals with real pressure and high team expectations. Its one thing to have a down year on a mediocre team, quite another to have one on a suppossed contender.

Meathead
08-30-2007, 07:29 AM
the ravens spent a third round pick on mcfertilitee

don137
08-30-2007, 07:31 AM
Willis cares about one thing....Willis....It will never be his fault. Remember he is the best RB in the league....No surprise here. I doubt one Bills fan will draft McGahee in their fantasy draft.

Pride
08-30-2007, 07:33 AM
the ravens spent a third round pick on mcfertilitee

I think he is talking about taking willis in the first round of your fantasy draft... not the ravens draft pick.

Mad Bomber
08-30-2007, 07:43 AM
Willis cares about one thing....Willis....It will never be his fault. Remember he is the best RB in the league....No surprise here. I doubt one Bills fan will draft McGahee in their fantasy draft.
My league's draft is Saturday, and WM isn't even on my list. Two reasons:
1) I think he sucks
2) If he were on my team I'd have to root for him to do well

Meathead
08-30-2007, 08:20 AM
aah yes i see now thx

and besides it was two thirds and a seventh somebody pointed out elsewhere doh

BlackMetalNinja
08-30-2007, 08:33 AM

Hahah, ask RockStar about that!

duhbilz
08-30-2007, 08:40 AM
Well if we're judging WM by his preseason numbers, what does this say about Marshawn Lynch?

Goobylal
08-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Just as comparison, McGahee's pre-season average in 2006 was 4.9 YPC

jmb1099
08-30-2007, 08:51 AM
Well if we're judging WM by his preseason numbers, what does this say about Marshawn Lynch?
You mean the rookie who never claimed to be the best running back in the NFL?

Jimbuktu
08-30-2007, 09:47 AM

Damn straight, I laughed out loud at the sucker that drafted him in my league.

Instead, I got my boy Travis Henry in that range.

cocamide
08-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Damn straight, I laughed out loud at the sucker that drafted him in my league.

Instead, I got my boy Travis Henry in that range.

I also picked up Henry. If he stays healthy, he'll be my bread-and-butter this season

The Answer
08-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Sorry if it's a repost...but I like it when people outside of BZ recognize that Willis isn't the player we all thought he was...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/August29FantasyTenPack.htm

6. Maybe The Ravens Got A Raw Deal.

When the Ravens traded for Willis McGahee, the common assumption was that he would be a nice upgrade over the slow, rapidly aging Jamal Lewis. Instead, McGahee has had 14 carries for 35 yards, a robust 2.5 yards a carry. He has looked, in short, like Lewis did last year.

Yes, it is only preseason, but it is worrisome -- especially when you look at McGahee's previous numbers, including a career average of just 3.9 yards a carry. The problem can't be the offensive line, not when we've heard so much about the great, young talent the Ravens (http://www.profootballtalk.com/August29FantasyTenPack.htm#) have put together.

And, indeed, backups Mike Anderson and Musa Smith have been running like McGahee was supposed to. Sure, maybe he will turn out to be just fine, but if you're spending a first-round pick on the guy, you'd like to have a little more to go on.

Not sure where PFT is getting their information from, but according to Ray Lewis, Brian Billick and some of the other veterans on the team - Mcgahee is a dynamic back that is going to change the way opposing defenses prepare for the Ravens offense. He can catch the ball, great blocker, and has explosive speed on the outside.

The Ravens are superbowl bound.

~The Answer

TacklingDummy
08-30-2007, 10:53 AM
The Ravens are superbowl bound.

~The Answer

Ravens vs. Vikings

Book it!!!

The Answer
08-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Ravens vs. Vikings

Book it!!!

TD - The Answer was actually being sarcastic.

I do think with thier defense the Ravens will be a wildcard team at worse - but McGayhee is definitely not the 'missing link' that's for sure.

The Answer does like the Holcomb led Vikings as a dark horse to win it all though.

~The Answer

TacklingDummy
08-30-2007, 11:05 AM
TD - The Answer was actually being sarcastic.

I do think with thier defense the Ravens will be a wildcard team at worse - but McGayhee is definitely not the 'missing link' that's for sure.

The Answer does like the Holcomb led Vikings as a dark horse to win it all though.

~The Answer

TA- The Dummy was also being sarcastic.

You don't think ~The Dummy really meant Ravens vs Vikings Super Bowl? Although one "expert" at ESPN picked the Ravens to goto the Super Bowl.

RockStar36
08-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Hahah, ask RockStar about that!

Thanks again for making it an auto-draft.

raphael120
08-30-2007, 01:27 PM
Wonder if the Raves have a contingency plan on getting dibs one a couple of McGahee's 15 offspring if Willis fails. Kind like a product guarantee.

Willis produces or his bastard children are free!

BlackMetalNinja
08-30-2007, 01:51 PM

Next time you run it and see how much fun it is trying to get people to agree on a time/actually show up for it.

mysticsoto
08-30-2007, 02:19 PM
Next year we'll trade them A-train for a 2nd rounder!!! :D

don137
08-30-2007, 03:03 PM

You got McGahee in an auto-draft? :laughing:

DraftBoy
08-30-2007, 04:48 PM
You mean the rookie who never claimed to be the best running back in the NFL?

What does his claim have to do with anything Marshawn has looked just as bad if not worse than Willis in the preseason yet we give him a pass because he's a Buffalo Bill and say its only preseason, but for Willis its an indication of his regular season.

BidsJr
08-30-2007, 05:11 PM
What does his claim have to do with anything Marshawn has looked just as bad if not worse than Willis in the preseason yet we give him a pass because he's a Buffalo Bill and say its only preseason, but for Willis its an indication of his regular season.

Marshawn already has more yards in the preseason than Willis had his entire rookie season.

DynaPaul
08-30-2007, 05:46 PM

We give him a pass because he's a rookie and he isn't running his mouth...

Goobylal
08-30-2007, 06:12 PM
Also, Lynch's line isn't settled, as the Bills' starting center is out, and the guy they really like at RG (Butler) has been injured. Plus he's a rookie.